Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM + Auria Pro

Is it possible to hit play in Auria and have AUM sync record
without Ableton link using mmc commands from Auria?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@Gravitas said:
    Is it possible to hit play in Auria and have AUM sync record
    without Ableton link using mmc commands from Auria?

Thanks in advance

With AUM hosted inside Auria, or alongside?

[edit] Alongside, all I could get going was play, not stop or record. But, you could send notes or automation to toggle those I suppose.

• With AUM along side.

I've had a look at the midi ctrl section in AUM and
    we could send CC, midi note and PC information
    which AUM could learn but what I need to know is
    if Auria Pro sends MMC format that could be learnt by AUM.

Cool getting AUM to play with Auria by the way.

I need to bounce the output of Auria into AudioShare via AUM
    and it needs to be beat accurate for the way I edit and record.

I can do it with BM3 into AUM which is great using Ableton Link.

Either way it's all good.

• @wim

Okay,
    I've tried the trim and fade function in AudioShare.

I'll use that for now until I can get both
    programs to record alongside each other.

I could record AUM master mix back into
    Auria so that maybe my next port of call.

Nice one.

• @wim

Sorted.

I pulled out my old JL Cooper cuepoint and used
    that instead of phaffing with control messages etc.

So now when I need MMC I use that.
    Most probably the same thing can achieved using
    a software version but I almost totally forgot I had it.

Once again thank you.

• @Gravitas said:

How are you achieving this please ?

• @zeropoint said:

@Gravitas said:

How are you achieving this please ?

Go into Auria Pro midi settings.

Core midi output

select send MMC to AUM

Go into AUM

Go to ,'MIDI Control', and set receive from ,'AUM destination.

Make sure tempos match as AUM doesn't follow tempo
    and another thing to note is that AUM doesn't reset back
    to the first beat, first bar.
    You have to do that manually.

• @Gravitas I am really intrigued by this set up, but I am having difficulty understanding what benefit it brings. Do you only use AUM for recording, building up the track and arrangement with plug-ins in Auria then using AUM for the (multi-channel?) bounce? Is it a situation where both are used for different purposes (AUM and Auria both end up hosting plugs?)

• @Gravitas ....thank you.

@tehskwrl - as for me I want to host my synths in AUM because most of them cause Auria to crash when hosted natively. I intend to record them in AUM then drag them into the Auria session.

• @zeropoint said:
    @Gravitas ....thank you.

@tehskwrl - as for me I want to host my synths in AUM because most of them cause Auria to crash when hosted natively. I intend to record them in AUM then drag them into the Auria session.

But then you probably would like to use Cubasis, nanostudio 2 or Xequence to send the MIDI, not Auria.

At least, I don't realy like to handle MIDI in Auria.
    Any benefit from doing so?

• @tehskwrl said:
    @Gravitas I am really intrigued by this set up, but I am having difficulty understanding what benefit it brings. Do you only use AUM for recording, building up the track and arrangement with plug-ins in Auria then using AUM for the (multi-channel?) bounce? Is it a situation where both are used for different purposes (AUM and Auria both end up hosting plugs?)

I originally needed to see if I were to press play in
    Auria Pro if AUM could then record it's own master out
    so I could then import that back into Auria Pro.
    There are much simpler ways to do this now
    that I know both apps much better.

When creating in Auria Pro, I use AUM for added stability.
    AUM hosts the synths and Auria does everything else.

I almost always use Auria Pro for my final mixes.
    BM3 is a close second interestingly enough.

• @Gravitas , I must be missing something as I cannot get AP to launch AUM’s transport.

I have AP set to send MMC to AUM

In AUM midi sources I have connected AUM Destination to Midi Control

In AUM midi control / transport I have receive MMC set to yes.

Tempo in AUM is set to same as AP session

Any ideas ? Thanks....

• @zeropoint said:
    @Gravitas , I must be missing something as I cannot get AP to launch AUM’s transport.

I have AP set to send MMC to AUM

In AUM midi sources I have connected AUM Destination to Midi Control

In AUM midi control / transport I have receive MMC set to yes.

Tempo in AUM is set to same as AP session

Any ideas ? Thanks....

Yep.

Try changing the MMC device ID to either 0 or 1 in Auria Pro.

By the way there is a Mackie Hui controller that was set free recently.

Here's the link.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/minicontrol/id529860371

• I have gotten AUM/Auria/Xequence2 Transports to start/stop together by the following method:

The question of controlling Auria’s transport from an external source (like Xequence2) keeps coming up. I seem to have to solve it fresh every time for myself, but it’s not that hard and it works for me. There are three things that have to be true to get X2 to start/stop the Auria transport. First, MidiFlow is required. Second, the sending track in X2 has to have Send Sync Absolute turned on. Third, Auria’s MIDI settings have to be configured to receive MMC and MTC from the chosen MidiFlow virtual output.

Step by step:
    1. Make sure MidiFlow is open with a lane sending a virtual input (DSIn9) to a virtual output (DSOut9).
    2. Make sure the X2 instrument is sending to DSIn9, and Send Sync Absolute is turned on.
    3. Open the Auria project and go into settings. In the MIDI receive section, find DSOut9 and check RECEIVE MMC, RECEIVE MTC, and RECEIVE NOTES.

Pressing START on X2 will start the Auria transport, and STOP will stop it. Note that you have to go into Auria manually and set/reset the playhead position, because MMC/MTC doesn’t do that for you.

Since X2 is controlling the transport, if you open AUM, and both AUM and X2 have Ableton Link on, AUM can also cause start/stop on all three. AUM sends start/stop to X2 via Ableton Link, and the use of Send Sync Absolute in X2 sends MMC/MTC to Auria.

From this information, perhaps you can get where you want to go.

• @motmeister

I don't have X2 or midiflow so I won't be able to try that combination.

Good to know for the future, I'll keep it in mind.

• I got AUM to start/stop Auria by following your steps.👍🏼❤️

Inly thing is that as soon as i enable recording in Auria, then press play in AUM, Autia crashes amd restarts. Wonder if anyone has been able to get Sync start record working.

@motmeister said:
    I have gotten AUM/Auria/Xequence2 Transports to start/stop together by the following method:

The question of controlling Auria’s transport from an external source (like Xequence2) keeps coming up. I seem to have to solve it fresh every time for myself, but it’s not that hard and it works for me. There are three things that have to be true to get X2 to start/stop the Auria transport. First, MidiFlow is required. Second, the sending track in X2 has to have Send Sync Absolute turned on. Third, Auria’s MIDI settings have to be configured to receive MMC and MTC from the chosen MidiFlow virtual output.

Step by step:
    1. Make sure MidiFlow is open with a lane sending a virtual input (DSIn9) to a virtual output (DSOut9).
    2. Make sure the X2 instrument is sending to DSIn9, and Send Sync Absolute is turned on.
    3. Open the Auria project and go into settings. In the MIDI receive section, find DSOut9 and check RECEIVE MMC, RECEIVE MTC, and RECEIVE NOTES.

Pressing START on X2 will start the Auria transport, and STOP will stop it. Note that you have to go into Auria manually and set/reset the playhead position, because MMC/MTC doesn’t do that for you.

Since X2 is controlling the transport, if you open AUM, and both AUM and X2 have Ableton Link on, AUM can also cause start/stop on all three. AUM sends start/stop to X2 via Ableton Link, and the use of Send Sync Absolute in X2 sends MMC/MTC to Auria.

• @motmeister said:
    I have gotten AUM/Auria/Xequence2 Transports to start/stop together by the following method:

Could I use midiflow to Sync Midi clock out of my keyboard (Yamaha PSR E453) to Auria Pro with a similar method?

In other words I want to press play on my keyboard and have Auria start/stop and sync to tempo.

• @Optahealth said:

@motmeister said:

Could I use midiflow to Sync Midi clock out of my keyboard (Yamaha PSR E453) to Auria Pro with a similar method?

In other words I want to press play on my keyboard and have Auria start/stop and sync to tempo.

Auria won't slave to midi clock. It'll follow MTC start/stop, but it won't follow tempo. It has to be the tempo master.

• @wim said:

@Optahealth said:

@motmeister said:

Auria won't slave to midi clock. It'll follow MTC start/stop, but it won't follow tempo. It has to be the tempo master.

I think it does slave to MTC but not MIDI Clock.

• @espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@Optahealth said:

@motmeister said:

That’s what I said.

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@Optahealth said:

@motmeister said:

That’s what I said.

Are you sure that when it receives MTC that it doesn’t respond to tempo?

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

Yes.
    [edit] err um wait a sec....

According to the manual it should be able to “chase” MTC. So, in theory maybe it could work. I don’t think I have anything that sends MTC to test with.

It definitely doesn’t receive midi clock. That much is clear.

• I kind if gave up trying. Although the setup worked, it was highly unstable and crashed AP a lot.

• So bummed guys now. Cubasis3 crashing and sound just garbles like it’s chocking and the dsp is flickering to 100 up and down amd this is with only two tracks🤯
    What’s happening to our IOS it was so much better?😭😭😭😭

• Was bummed but Soft Drummer update brought big smile to me ❤️❤️❤️
    Went back to Auria imported 16 bars of exported drum sounds amd Auria is playing perfectly! O crashes amd i got Effects loaded to the wazooo😇😳😱

• Removed Pure Synth Platinum and used my sampled in AudioLayer and Auria was way more stable; so far no crashes with two tracks playing electric guitar sampled.

• @motmeister said:

Step by step:

This is what I want to achieve, I want to create in AUM and record, play, arrange and mix in Auria, can’t believe I have to follow all this process just to do that when they could just implement ableton link... it’s crazy..

• @Ozsound said:

@motmeister said:

Step by step:

This is what I want to achieve, I want to create in AUM and record, play, arrange and mix in Auria, can’t believe I have to follow all this process just to do that when they could just implement ableton link... it’s crazy..

In my opinion, at the heart of many problems with software and hardware is the contention that “standards inhibit innovation”. Sooo... not everyone is on board with things like Ableton Link. You’re right, the transport part of Link would be fabulous. Because it’s not there, we’re stuck having to invent workarounds.

• Hi,
    I’m trying to sync AUM and Auria so I can record audio from AUM into Auria.
    I’ve gotten somewhere, but it’s sort of a mess, wondering if there’s a better way... it involves Audiobus to Route AUM into Auria (don’t know if there’s another possibility).
    I can’t get it working with Auria as slave, the sound is distorted. As soon as “external sync” is on the sound is garbled. Might be SMPTE rate, but I can’t seem to change that value in AB. So Auria is master and sends clock, I guess that’s ok for my use case as I’m recording.
    Here’s AB:

AB midi sync is set to on and receive on “Virtual Midi”.

Here’s Auria settings:

Now on to AUM. AUM and AudioBus are synced via Ableton Link. So Auria sends clock to AB which syncs to AUM via Ableton Link... If I change the tempo on Auria it sends it to AB which syncs with AUM. Same with transport...

The little Audiobus sidebar there is really key and convenient. From AUM you can rewind, play and rec in Auria. Which will in turn play AudioBus which will in turn play AUM. Sometimes AUM starts right away, sometimes it waits for a bar to sync and start, guess it depends on a background clock or something...

Auria being master sort of makes sense if the purpose is to record into it. As I said, I couldn’t get to work as slave, distorted sound... wish Auria had Ableton Link. Zenbeats does but you can’t record into Zenbeats. I wish these DAWs merged like the UN of Daws and joined forces. I’d pay a kidney.

What do you think?. Does this make sense?.

• @tahiche said:
    Hi,
    I’m trying to sync AUM and Auria so I can record audio from AUM into Auria.
    I’ve gotten somewhere, but it’s sort of a mess, wondering if there’s a better way... it involves Audiobus to Route AUM into Auria (don’t know if there’s another possibility).
    I can’t get it working with Auria as slave, the sound is distorted. As soon as “external sync” is on the sound is garbled. Might be SMPTE rate, but I can’t seem to change that value in AB. So Auria is master and sends clock, I guess that’s ok for my use case as I’m recording.
    Here’s AB:

AB midi sync is set to on and receive on “Virtual Midi”.

Here’s Auria settings:

Now on to AUM. AUM and AudioBus are synced via Ableton Link. So Auria sends clock to AB which syncs to AUM via Ableton Link... If I change the tempo on Auria it sends it to AB which syncs with AUM. Same with transport...

The little Audiobus sidebar there is really key and convenient. From AUM you can rewind, play and rec in Auria. Which will in turn play AudioBus which will in turn play AUM. Sometimes AUM starts right away, sometimes it waits for a bar to sync and start, guess it depends on a background clock or something...

Auria being master sort of makes sense if the purpose is to record into it. As I said, I couldn’t get to work as slave, distorted sound... wish Auria had Ableton Link. Zenbeats does but you can’t record into Zenbeats. I wish these DAWs merged like the UN of Daws and joined forces. I’d pay a kidney.

What do you think?. Does this make sense?.

If AUM or Audiobus provided MIDI Time Code, Auria would be able to sync to them.

@Michael this would be a great addition to Audiobus (using it to convert other clocks to MTC).