Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best Zoom for me?

There are so many Zoom recorders out there that I thought the hive mind may be able to help me pick one, as it’s rather difficult!

I want to:

-Record external hardware (including mics and drum machines) into my iPad
-Record band rehearsals (I’m in an alt-rock band)
- Record live sessions from my Synthstrom Deluge and Elektron gear
- Potentially record live commentary for YouTube vids
- Essentially make me DAWless and have the ability to record things on the move

If one Zoom device could do all this and more, and also be nicely portable, that would be great. What do you think would be a decent option for me?

Comments

• edited July 2019

@Michael_R_Grant said:

How many simultaneous inputs do you need?

• Record live sessions from my Synthstrom Deluge and Elektron gear
    • Potentially record live commentary for YouTube vids

They all do this

• Essentially make me DAWless and have the ability to record things on the move

R8?

• If 4 ins are enough for your band then Zoom u44 is really cheap and portable.

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/production-recording/audio-interfaces/u-44-handy-audio-interface

• You could use a cheap behringer mixer q802 usb
    Zoom h1n
    Should cover all, ?
    I use a q502 usb and a Zoom h1
    With:
    Circuit
    Blofeld
    iPad/Arturia mini lab mk 2
    iPhone
    Microgranny
    Zoom MS 70cdr
    Korg kp2s
    I have another mixer and technics1210s
    And a tape deck
    A few more inputs is always handy

• edited July 2019

I love my zoom h6. Works both as a standalone field recorder and a 6 input soundcard (using the attachment that replaces the Mike with 2 more inputs) when required.

• edited July 2019

I can recommend the H1n over the H1 because it's just as small, still has a stereo line input, can act as a USB microphone and doesn't need extra power when connected to an iPad over CCK.

However, for stereo microphone recordings, the iQ7 lightning plug-in microphone sounds notably better.

• edited July 2019

Ah yeah, for the band thing it's literally just recording the audio via an (in-built?) mic. Nothing actually been inputted into the Zoom.> @mistercharlie said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

How many simultaneous inputs do you need?

• Record live sessions from my Synthstrom Deluge and Elektron gear
    • Potentially record live commentary for YouTube vids

They all do this

• Essentially make me DAWless and have the ability to record things on the move

R8?

• R24? 8 simultaneous inputs.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2019

Same boat here, sans band needs. I'm between H6 and F8N. Latter is slightly more compact and 2 more inputs. I like that Zooms are battery powered interfaces but wish they supported ADAT, so I could use with my other interfaces if need be. I prefer/need multiple inputs so Arturia interface is out of running.

But other interfaces work for DAWs/studio setup whereas this would be my DAWless / portable interface which I'm preferring at the moment.

• I’ve bought a U44 and the condenser mic add-on. Should cover most bases! Thanks for the help, guys.

• I have an H4n that I bought years ago and the thing has been invaluable to me.

If I were to do it again, I'd get an H6 - it's configurable and has 4 inputs built in (twice as many as my H4) and then you can expand it to 6 inputs by replacing the mic.

All the live audio from my videos is recorded on my H4n - the built in mic is suprisingly useable. The thing is a workhorse and was totally worth buying. There's a boatload of features onboard that I hardly ever use.

• edited July 2019

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    If one Zoom device could do all this and more, and also be nicely portable, that would be great. What do you think would be a decent option for me?

I use a Zoom F1 to record my Deluge and OP-Z and also for Fieldrecordings with attached microphones.

The main reason why I went with the F1 instead the H6 is the ultraportablity. The H6 is a big monster in comparison...

Here is a photo with the F1 (no microphone attached) and a Tascam DR 44WL for size comparison...

F1 with OP-Z and iPhone

The F1 was the Best Buy for my needs (line in) and I can use all the microphone capsules as the H6 when I need them...

And I can use the F1 as an Audio Interface with my iPad!

Love this ultra mobile device! 👍

• edited August 2019

@Michael_R_Grant In the mid-range - I'm more than happy with my Zoom H5 for all your listed tasks and it doubles as a nice on-the-go audio interface for the Ipad (and Pro) with a USB OTG adapter.

• edited August 2019

H5 is easy to find for cheap on the used markets. The shock absorption really helps with handling noises!

Like the way it records a separate quieter version in case of unexpected loud sounds.

• @chandroji said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

I use a Zoom F1 to record my Deluge and OP-Z and also for Fieldrecordings with attached microphones.

The main reason why I went with the F1 instead the H6 is the ultraportablity. The H6 is a big monster in comparison...

Here is a photo with the F1 (no microphone attached) and a Tascam DR 44WL for size comparison...

F1 with OP-Z and iPhone

The F1 was the Best Buy for my needs (line in) and I can use all the microphone capsules as the H6 when I need them...

Does the F1 work as an iOS audio interface without a powered hub?

• @ksound said:

@chandroji said:

Same question. Love the size, for sure.

• edited August 2019

@ksound said:

Yes!
    I don’t need a powered hub for my iPads, I can connect the F1 directly.
    I will check it tomorrow with the iPhone...

@syrupcore
    Yes, the size and weight is perfect for mobile use... 👍

• @chandroji said:

@ksound said:

Yes!

@syrupcore

Sweeeeet. Thank you.

• @chandroji said:

@ksound said:

Yes!

@syrupcore

That is just right, thank you!

• edited November 2020

I just got a zoom live track L8. To select class compliance mode, I have to unplug the USB power. If I do this without batteries, it doesn’t work because the device becomes unpowered and the process has to start over.

With batteries, I can do this, but then the batteries wear out shortly after. How can I select class compliance mode AND run off of a powered USB hub?

In other words, can I do this without batteries inside the zoom whatsoever? What am I missing here? Thanks in advance