Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dexed Synth by George Rosar

Comments

• @fjcblanco said:
    Just for curiosity...Is this because the icon is a pill?

Hahaha good catch. And I'd say 100% yes. Thank goodness it's infrequent though!

• Big update just dropped.

• This looks great.

• I think I'll stay with KQ Dixie for now as looking at the Dexed UI really hurts my eyes...

• @Samu Just bought it, but indeed......the UI is quite a challenge

• edited July 2019

Crashes like crazy after the unpacking update, both standalone and AU, even after a delete reinstall and reboot. I'd hold off.

• hmm, this is essentially an open beta. Does it allow loading and sharing of own cartridges with AUv3 yet?
    I'd prefer that to having loads of built in patches, I can load them myself if necessary.

• This is the vast quantity of the past I've been looking for in AU....mad and simple and complicated all at once. A very nice addition.

• edited July 2019

@Carnbot said:
    hmm, this is essentially an open beta. Does it allow loading and sharing of own cartridges with AUv3 yet?
    I'd prefer that to having loads of built in patches, I can load them myself if necessary.

I can never get an answer from anyone if it's possible, but I haven't found a way (sometimes I get the feeling this forum just buys and downloads apps and never uses them). But all my original Yamaha sysex files are grayed out in Files. Copy pasting zips, folders, the files themselves doesn't work.

And what's the deal with the color scheme? Can that be changed? And what's the deal with the useless eye pop up menu with 'leet focus' or whatever?

Hope the bugs after this update get fixed quickly. This one sounds a ton better than Dixie, and honestly, I'm not looking to program on it, just to use it as a classic preset machine.

The 20000 cartridges are nice and all, but it's pretty overkill and not fun to sort through.

• And can anyone else please confirm that this is a crash machine post-update?

• The patch unload happened twice for me once in Standalone again in AU. It hasn’t crashed for me yet but the GUI is pretty bad since it changed colours.

• @oat_phipps said:

@Carnbot said:
    hmm, this is essentially an open beta. Does it allow loading and sharing of own cartridges with AUv3 yet?

I can never get an answer from anyone if it's possible, but I haven't found a way (sometimes I get the feeling this forum just buys and downloads apps and never uses them). But all my original Yamaha sysex files are grayed out in Files. Copy pasting zips, folders, the files themselves doesn't work.

And what's the deal with the color scheme? Can that be changed? And what's the deal with the useless eye pop up menu with 'leet focus' or whatever?

Hope the bugs after this update get fixed quickly. This one sounds a ton better than Dixie, and honestly, I'm not looking to program on it, just to use it as a classic preset machine.

The 20000 cartridges are nice and all, but it's pretty overkill and not fun to sort through.

I'm not sure, I was waiting for the AU version to accept custom cartidges before using it much.
    I already have all the cartridges out there and I'd prefer to load them in when necessary not have them all in the app.

But it's good to have loads of presets in the AU version at least. :)

ok, you can put the syx files in the itunes folder (not in subfolders though) and then load them in standalone.
    But I still can't see how to get these to show up in the Au version.

• Eh I would get it but it grew in size a lot and kq can store carts in the cloud and they don’t take up much space. Looks like it’s unstable now too after the update

• Two finger scaling is not very efficient and makes the app unusable on iPhone.

Recommend changing the two finger scaling to holding the eye icon for the first press and the second anywhere else on the screen. Or a double tap on the eye icon...

• Anyone know how I can access the presets on the right? I can only see half of each name

• I’m assuming you tried manual resizing? Other then that it’s an issue with the app most likely. Might not be optimized for your screen size on your device.

• You can drag the screen around with some difficulty by using two fingers on a blank bit of space.

I bought dexed a while ago and use it just for presets.
    It has thousands and thousands so no need to try to understand FM or the UI, which is ported pretty roughly, I assume from PC version.

The trick with dexed is to save presets in AUM for quicker access, and the one to start with is Master Collection -> Original Yamaha -> Dx7 Rom 1 -> Rom1a.sys -> E.piano1

That soundbank also has the famous Bass1 sound too.

• Thanks @Poppadocrock and @belldu - will try these later

• I tried both and found KQ Dixie a far better app (on desktop and as an iOS app).

• Help! Got 2 instances of Dexed open in Aum, triggered by the wonderful Polybud...sounding great...but now I'm stuck on the Dexed preset selection page (see my pic earlier in this thread) and I can't get back to the edit page (?!)
    I'm sure it's something very simple. But what?

• Baffled that people can actually get Dexed to work. I’ll give it another try, it always sounded better than Dixie to me

• @belldu said:
    You can drag the screen around with some difficulty by using two fingers on a blank bit of space.

I bought dexed a while ago and use it just for presets.
    It has thousands and thousands so no need to try to understand FM or the UI, which is ported pretty roughly, I assume from PC version.

The trick with dexed is to save presets in AUM for quicker access, and the one to start with is Master Collection -> Original Yamaha -> Dx7 Rom 1 -> Rom1a.sys -> E.piano1

That soundbank also has the famous Bass1 sound too.

Gonna take you right into the danger zone

• @oat_phipps said:

it always sounded better than Dixie to me

It sounds better than 99% of iOS synths to me. I just like the sounds....But yeah, very unintuitive UI, highly frustrating.

• Has anybody successfully used this app to transfer patches via SysEx to a Korg Volca FM ?

• Updated a week ago with a new build! I don’t own it but figured I’d let anyone that does know.

• I updated and it works fine on iOS 15.7.1
    No changes to UI or anything else.
    Still love it for the tens of thousands of presets.

• Sadly the update hasn’t fixed the issues I constantly have with Dexed. I keep using it, because I love the sounds, but I have NEVER opened it without getting hung notes, or some other problem. Happens every single time.

• For me KQ Dixie is a viable alternative/substitute for Dexed especially when adjusting the settings to once liking regarding operator bit-depth and output levels, velocity scaling etc.
    (it's also very handy for creating huge layers consisting of multiple patches).

• I only get hung notes in Dexed itself if I switch patches with note on or sustain on.
    It works fine in a daw for me.