Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Elastic Drums 2.3/Cubasis 2,weird main output bug

Hi AB forum

I’m having a weird bug with Elastic drums inside Cubasis,since the latest 2.3 update.What happens is that while I can see all 6 individual outputs that the update has provided,I cant see the main output,like the one we already had so far.

You can clearly see it in the screenshot below.

While I have addressed this to Oliver already(which told me that it didn’t happen in his case),I was wondering if someone else have noticed something like this.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• No prob here.
    Cubasis 2.8.1, iOS 12.3.1, latest ED version.
    Maybe save your ED work, delete and reinstall the app? And maybe reboot?

• Thanks for your reply.
    iOS 12.4/Cubasis 2.8.1 here,it happened right after the 2.3 ED update.
    Weirdly the Audiobus workaround works.

It can see the ED main output just fine as you can see and I was able to record without any issues.

My guess is that in my case maybe it’s a Cubasis issue?Think I should try delete and reinstall both?That was Oliver’s suggestion as well.I was just wondering if anyone had the same issue with me.

Thanks for your help.

• edited July 2019

There are two ways to add instruments to Cubasis. One way shows the original output. The other does not...

Using Media Browser (top left button) shows it...

Using track routing does not...

I think this is a Cubasis issue...?

@LFS

• @AudioGus
    Nice catch, bub!
    B)

• edited July 2019

@AudioGus said:
    There are two ways to add instruments to Cubasis. One way shows the original output. The other does not...

@LFS

I don't think so...
    The 'main' output of Elastic Drums is an 'Instrument'(IAA Instrument) while the individual outputs are 'audio tracks'(IAA Generator).

• @Samu said:

@AudioGus said:

@LFS

I don't think so...
    The 'main' output of Elastic Drums is an 'Instrument'(IAA Instrument) while the individual outputs are 'audio tracks'(IAA Generator).

So ED is not listing the Instrument in the IAA input of the Audio Track, but it is listing the Instrument correctly in the IAA Instrument load interface?

• @CracklePot said:

So ED is not listing the Instrument in the IAA input of the Audio Track, but it is listing the Instrument correctly in the IAA Instrument load interface?

Yes, because 'Audio Tracks' in Cubasis can not host IAA Instruments, only IAA Generators.

When you load the 'main' ElasticDrums from the instrument browser it creates a midi track, if you select one of the others it creates an audio track.

• @Samu said:

@CracklePot said:

Yes, because 'Audio Tracks' in Cubasis can not host IAA Instruments, only IAA Generators.

When you load the 'main' ElasticDrums from the instrument browser it creates a midi track, if you select one of the others it creates an audio track.

Thanks for that explanation.
    I was not aware that Cubasis was making these distinctions, but it makes perfect sense now.
    :)

• @Samu said:

@CracklePot said:

Oooh, I see, cool thanks!

• @Samu said:

Thank you AudioGus for the catch.
    And Samu for the clarification.
    And everyone for the help.
    I didn’t thought of loading it from the Instruments section to be honest.
    I believe I was expecting to see the main input on the routing section,because Patterning2 for example which also provides multi outputs,provides this option.
    Eitherways thank you all for clearing this one out :)

• @Samu

My question is though:How can I use ED the way I used to do before(via the Routing option)?

I could load it from there before the update.Usually I had my drums already set up in ED and recorded them separately or in groups inside Cubasis.

My main issue is that if I load every channel separately,it bypasses the effects master channel of ED,leaving all the drums dry.And I LOVEEEEEEE these effects 😂

Also if I load it from the Instruments section,it crates the midi channel exactly like you said and records a midi track when you set it up,but playback from inside ED never stops.Therefore it makes the midi notes recorded quite useless,since I can’t use them to playback ED when I want.I tried many possible routings,deleting the pattern to let it just read the notes I recorded from inside Cubasis,still with not too much reliable results.

The only way that worked for what I want (record the main section WITH effects)is through Audiobus

• @JohnEcho said:

The only way that worked for what I want (record the main section WITH effects)is through Audiobus

If you can hear the effects from the main output on the midi-track, create an empty region and 'freeze it' to grab the effects.
    I've not played too much with multi-channel ED in Cubasis yet...

• @JohnEcho said:

@Samu

My question is though:How can I use ED the way I used to do before(via the Routing option)?

I could load it from there before the update.Usually I had my drums already set up in ED and recorded them separately or in groups inside Cubasis.

My main issue is that if I load every channel separately,it bypasses the effects master channel of ED,leaving all the drums dry.And I LOVEEEEEEE these effects 😂

I wish their 'Elastic FX' were an AU. That would be awesome.

• @Samu

If you can hear the effects from the main output on the midi-track, create an empty region and 'freeze it' to grab the effects.
    I've not played too much with multi-channel ED in Cubasis yet...

I understand and thanks for trying to help.To grab the effects i used the recording function which exports the 6 outputs separately,plus the fx track.

I'm simply stuck in my workflow i guess 😂 Thanks for providing options though ;)

@AudioGus
    I wish their 'Elastic FX' were an AU. That would be awesome.

That combined with Cubasis group tracks will be the true stairway to heaven 🙏

• LFSLFS
    edited July 2019

@AudioGus said:

@LFS

Hi @AudioGus

Please have a look at our dedicated Limitations of Inter-App Audio article.

In short:
    It depends on the app manufacturer what type of nodes are available.
    IAA apps that are not listed as instruments (only for audio track inputs) are in fact IAA generators (= only for audio tracks) and not IAA instruments, i.e. they cannot receive MIDI via IAA (only via CoreMIDI).

Hope that helps!

Best,
    Lars