Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to use GarageBand as audio source in stereo?

Is it possible to use GarageBand as audio source and record just the sound In the stereo? Not asking for screen recording here. Just the sound. In stereo 🙂

I’ve got AudioShare and I thought I’d be able to use GarageBand as source, but no.

Comments

• It's not possible. Which is super annoying.

• @joachim_s said:
    Is it possible to use GarageBand as audio source and record just the sound In the stereo? Not asking for screen recording here. Just the sound. In stereo 🙂

I’ve got AudioShare and I thought I’d be able to use GarageBand as source, but no.

I guess you have to either use audio loopback or mix the file and use the resulting audio file.

• I use a second device (iPod Touch) to playback into my audio device and record onto my iPad.
    Works for any app without connectivity, and hopefully will save me some headaches when IAA is all broken and unsupported in the future.

• @mistercharlie said:
    It's not possible. Which is super annoying.

Truly is. I think in many ways it’s a good idea with Apple’s closed architecture. To ensure stability. But sometimes it’s not. Like in this instance.

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

I guess you have to either use audio loopback or mix the file and use the resulting audio file.

How do I do that?

• @joachim_s said:

@mistercharlie said:

Truly is. I think in many ways it’s a good idea with Apple’s closed architecture. To ensure stability. But sometimes it’s not. Like in this instance.

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

How do I do that?

If you have an audio interface, you plug the audio outputs into the inputs but make sure you have input monitoring off on your interface or you will get terrible feedback.

You might want to search the forum. There have been threads discussing how to do this. You might also search the wiki.

• @espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

@mistercharlie said:

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

How do I do that?

If you have an audio interface, you plug the audio outputs into the inputs but make sure you have input monitoring off on your interface or you will get terrible feedback.

You might want to search the forum. There have been threads discussing how to do this. You might also search the wiki.

Yeah ok. That’s what you meant. I’m just not that keen on the English wording for this. I know it of course. So then there is no software only solution for this like I that. That sucks.

• edited July 2019

@joachim_s said:

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

@mistercharlie said:

@espiegel123 said:

@joachim_s said:

How do I do that?

Yeah ok. That’s what you meant. I’m just not that keen on the English wording for this. I know it of course. So then there is no software only solution for this like I that. That sucks.

Some dev could create an audio interface app :smile: that would cannibalize hardware audio interfaces

• @joachim_s said:

@mistercharlie said:

How do I do that?

In the Songs browser, tap the select button, then tap the song you want to export, tap Share, then tap Song. After you tap song you can change any settings you like (the defaults should be fine), then tap Share.

If the app you want to use the audio in is listed, you can send the audio file directly there. If not, then tap Open In...

After rendering you’ll get a pop up asking what to do with the file. You can then save it to the files app, and then try to open it from whatever app you want to use it in.

I can’t give any more detailed help than that unless you share more specifics of what you’re trying to do.

Good Luck!

• @wim said:

@joachim_s said:

@mistercharlie said:

How do I do that?

In the Songs browser, tap the select button, then tap the song you want to export, tap Share, then tap Song. After you tap song you can change any settings you like (the defaults should be fine), then tap Share.

If the app you want to use the audio in is listed, you can send the audio file directly there. If not, then tap Open In...

After rendering you’ll get a pop up asking what to do with the file. You can then save it to the files app, and then try to open it from whatever app you want to use it in.

I can’t give any more detailed help than that unless you share more specifics of what you’re trying to do.

Good Luck!

I don’t think you read the thread thoroughly. I know how to export a song in GarageBand. But AudioLayer crashes on export when used as a soft synth plugin.

• @joachim_s said:

@wim said:

@joachim_s said:

@mistercharlie said:

How do I do that?

I don’t think you read the thread thoroughly. I know how to export a song in GarageBand. But AudioLayer crashes on export when used as a soft synth plugin.

I think you’re referring to another thread. There’s no mention of AudioLayer here that I can see. I was answering the second half of @mistercharlie’s sentence. You said “How do I do that.” And could have been referring to the second part of the sentence.

Anyway. Glad you know how to do it and sorry it doesn’t work with AudioLayer. Sorry I can’t be of further help.

Cheers.

• @wim said:

@joachim_s said:

@wim said:

@joachim_s said:

@mistercharlie said:

How do I do that?

I think you’re referring to another thread. There’s no mention of AudioLayer here that I can see. I was answering the second half of @mistercharlie’s sentence. You said “How do I do that.” And could have been referring to the second part of the sentence.

Anyway. Glad you know how to do it and sorry it doesn’t work with AudioLayer. Sorry I can’t be of further help.

Cheers.

Sorry! I was the one who didn’t read thoroughly 🤣 I’ll check out what you wrote and see if it’s of any help. But if it’s a simple song export in GB you’re referring to that’s not what’s needed here.

• @joachim_s said:

@wim said:

@joachim_s said:

@mistercharlie said:

How do I do that?

Good Luck!

Try dragging the MIDI to another track and then reloading a fresh instance of AudioLayer before exporting.

Or try using the merge function before you export.

Or use Enso to print the audio from AudioLayer. I use this to record knob tweaks because GB can't automate.

• edited July 2019

@BroCoast said:

@joachim_s said:

@wim said:

@joachim_s said:

@mistercharlie said:

How do I do that?

Good Luck!

Try dragging the MIDI to another track and then reloading a fresh instance of AudioLayer before exporting.

Or use Enso to print the audio from AudioLayer. I use this to record knob tweaks because GB can't automate.

The first option won’t help I’m pretty sure.

Where do I find the merge function?

I don’t know Enso and what do you mean by “print the audio”?

• @joachim_s said:

@BroCoast said:

@joachim_s said:

@wim said:

@joachim_s said:

@mistercharlie said:

How do I do that?

Good Luck!

Tap on the left hand icon of the track.

It will bring up these options, choose Merge.

Print the audio means to take the sound your AudioLayer is making and commit it to audio. Enso is a looper that allows you to print audio from tracks in GB and get around some of it's limitations.

• edited July 2019

@BroCoast said:

@joachim_s said:

@BroCoast said:

@joachim_s said:

@wim said:

@joachim_s said:

@mistercharlie said:

How do I do that?

Good Luck!

Tap on the left hand icon of the track.

It will bring up these options, choose Merge.

Print the audio means to take the sound your AudioLayer is making and commit it to audio. Enso is a looper that allows you to print audio from tracks in GB and get around some of it's limitations.

I tried merging but I get the quite common crash message that AudioLayer quit unexpectedly (or whatever wording is used in English as I have a Swedish ui). Will try Enso now and get back to you.

Edit: saw that Enso costs 65kr ($6-7?). I don’t think I’m gonna take my chance and buy it while it might fail to do what I need as well.

• Does AudioLayer work at export for others here in this thread?