Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Pro usb-c and 3.5mm splitter

Does anyone have anything that does this for super cheap? I have the official Apple usb-c headphone dongle, but sometimes you need this and usb-c simultaneously. I don’t want a bulky hub though with loads of connections I won’t use.

Comments

• Welcome to the nightmare!

• This is exactly why my 10.5 512g iPad is still my main music rig. Use my new iPad for just graphics and LumaFusion for now.

• edited July 2019

I eventually found one but the sound quality was noticeably worse. A junky hub is the only way right now

• @realdawei said:
    I eventually found one but the sound quality was noticeably worse. A junky hub is the only way right now

Thanks for letting me know

• edited July 2019

Apple should have added a USB-C to the headphone adapter for removing the jack. What flawed designs - having just one hole for “everything” and not having any substitute accessories! Most people need just the headphone adapter with a parallel power connection. Not sure why this basic stuff is unclear to Apple. My pain from the missing jack is indescribable.

• @MobileMusic said:
    Apple should have added a USB-C to the headphone adapter for removing the jack. What flawed designs! Most people need just the headphone adapter with a parallel power connection. Not sure why this basic stuff is unclear to Apple.

Agreed. Steve Jobs wouldn’t have stood for half the shit that Apple have done recently.

I wonder if the Apple dongle works if plugged into a simple single to multi usb c hub (if such a thing exists?)

• Apple wants to sell even more Airpods ;)
    Sure for realtime usage it's a bit laggy but for casual listening they work very well...

• edited July 2019

@Samu said:
    Apple wants to sell even more Airpods ;)
    Sure for realtime usage it's a bit laggy but for casual listening they work very well...

Bluetooth is good for only listening as lag doesn’t matter in playback mode.

• edited July 2019

@MobileMusic said:
    Apple should have added a USB-C to the headphone adapter for removing the jack. What flawed designs - having just one hole for “everything” and not having any substitute accessories! Most people need just the headphone adapter with a parallel power connection. Not sure why this basic stuff is unclear to Apple. My pain from the missing jack is indescribable.

I’ll create a ticket on Apple.com to bring back the jack or a headphone+power adapter.

• @AlterEgo_UK said:
    Any tried one of these? Looks really neat the way it attaches. Not cheap though.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/07/18/review-kanex-iadapt-is-the-best-ipad-pro-usb-c-hub-better-with-ipados

And I do wonder how well iOS manages the 'outputs'?!. HDMI has 'Audio', 3.5mm jack can output audio and if an audio-interface is connected to the USB Port then how the heck do we in iOS choose where the audio goes :D

iPadOS/iOS13 needs a way to allow the user to choose the 'default' audio device...

• @AlterEgo_UK said:
    Any tried one of these? Looks really neat the way it attaches. Not cheap though.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/07/18/review-kanex-iadapt-is-the-best-ipad-pro-usb-c-hub-better-with-ipados

This does look good. I just won’t ever use half the ports and you’re right, it’s not cheap!

• edited July 2019

This works great for me
    https://satechi.net/products/aluminum-type-c-mobile-pro-hub
    USB c port is only for charging. I plug a 4 port USB 3.0 hub into it when I need to add controllers etc.

• I use this one and don't have any problems with it (except having to plug it into my iPad every time I want to do some recording!)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elando-Adapter-Ethernet-Delivery-Devices/dp/B07GBPJ15X/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=elando+usb+c+hub,+ethernet&qid=1563745321&s=gateway&sr=8-3

• @AlterEgo_UK said:

“My iPad became a cyborg.”

• edited July 2019

Are there any hubs with a cord, so it doesn’t suck itself to your iPad?

• edited July 2019

@AlterEgo_UK said:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/07/18/review-kanex-iadapt-is-the-best-ipad-pro-usb-c-hub-better-with-IPadOS

Watched its review today morning. Seems to have a better grip on the iPad with corner mounting than other adapters. Cable is better for an intact connection and it does it.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    Are there any hubs with a cord, so it doesn’t suck itself to your iPad?

The one above has a good design with a cord. The cord should be long enough so the adapter lays on the desk otherwise it will place a torque on the USB-C port with the dangling adapter. Or the adapter could fit on the iPad side/corner which the above one does it correctly

• edited July 2019

You asked for cheap:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/USB-Type-C-Hub-to-HDMI-Adapter-with-USB-C-PD-Charging-4K-HDMI-USB-3-0-3-5mm-Headphone-Jack-for-iPad-Pro/190430248

That item is on clearance for $25 at the moment. Buy at your own risk... I don’t even see a brand name. Not sure about Walmart’s return policies. ...and maybe its personal preference but I can’t bear the thought of hanging a hub on the USB-C port itself. Disaster waiting to happen, not to mention completely ugly to have cables and adapters sprawling out off to the side of the iPad. Such an unfortunate design.

Anyway it seems like cheap is not really an option for most of these hubs. I would only ever buy a USB-C hub that had a detachable cable and sat on the desk behind my iPad. There are a few USB-C hubs in that format, but it seems to be designed for laptops, and they are $100 or more.

• @Samu said:

And I do wonder how well iOS manages the 'outputs'?!. HDMI has 'Audio', 3.5mm jack can output audio and if an audio-interface is connected to the USB Port then how the heck do we in iOS choose where the audio goes :D

It uses the last-connected output. It can glitch, though. If the USB-C somehow disconnects (sometimes the connection breaks, even while still plugged in) , it may switch to another output.

iPadOS/iOS13 needs a way to allow the user to choose the 'default' audio device...

Yeah. And aggregate audio devices.

• Bringing this thread back from the dead. I’m looking for something similar; I’d love to use my MIDI keyboard with headphones without bringing out a bulky powered hub that needs to be plugged into the wall. Have any good lightweight (and cheap) options come out in the past few years that can turn my iPad’s single USB-C port into USB-C + headphones? Or even USB-A + headphones?

• edited May 2022

I did find this list, but the options with USB-C seem to only offer power delivery. I’m looking to plug a MIDI keyboard into the jack…

This form factor linked above (or a cheaper option) might be the best option, but the “Does not work with 2021 iPad Pro M1” gives me some pause – if I‘m going to get yet another dongle, I‘d like to hold onto it for a while. And I‘m not even sure this form factor would even fit my iPad case.

• Update: I picked one of these Satechi 4-port dongles up, and it works great! I already had a USB-C to 3.5mm connector, so I plug that in and still have 3 open ports for MIDI controllers / other peripherals.

My one complaint is that I can’t charge my iPad while using this, but since this is meant for impromptu jams while I’m out of the house it’s not a big deal.

• @MobileMusic said:

I ultimately decided to not buy the M1 chip iPad Pro because of the missing headphone port. It was a dumb decision on their part, IMO.