Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KQ Dixie new AU FM synth

Comments

• It's my go to synth these days after Zeeon and Model D.

• edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm working on a comparison of a few FM synths and KQ Dixie is impressive, especially for the price.

So far I have compared recordings from DX7 V, Dexed, KQ Dixie and FM Player using the ROM1A factory preset Bass 1. It seems the second preset in FM Player is a sample of Bass 1. I'm just starting out with writing about this stuff, I find it fascinating and this is a work in progress, so any suggestions are welcome.

https://medium.com/@synth.talk/modern-dx7-synths-e7865601c548

• @SynthTalk Interesting read.

Would be really cool to have a real DX7 as comparison, but according to this synthopia post the Arturia DX7 V sounds like the hardware (if the velocity parameters are set correctly)

• @_ki said:
    @SynthTalk Interesting read.

Would be really cool to have a real DX7 as comparison, but according to this synthopia post the Arturia DX7 V sounds like the hardware (if the velocity parameters are set correctly)

KQ dixie is awesome. For desktop I like the Arturia DX7, IMO its their best Desktop synth.

• @_ki said:
    @SynthTalk Interesting read.

When I looked into Dixie (which I quite like), I found a few comparisons of hardware to Dixie and they were quite close and the differences in sound were such that even if they weren't precisely the same in an A/B comparison they were minor and not obvious which was preferable.

Fwiw, I had a DX7 for many years.

• I also do like KQ Dixie a lot and have installed more patches than i can ever listen to :)

• Does anyone have Dexed? How does it compare to KQ? I have it on desktop and really like it but have heard mixed stuff for iOS and already have a couple FM synths

• edited July 2019

@_ki said:
    I also do like KQ Dixie a lot and have installed more patches than i can ever listen to :)

Yup! It's my favorite synth on iOS. I have lots of DX variants in hardware but keep coming back to Dixie. I wish there was TX81Z AU port that supported sysex.

• @JackDwyerburger said:
    Does anyone have Dexed? How does it compare to KQ? I have it on desktop and really like it but have heard mixed stuff for iOS and already have a couple FM synths

Year or two ago i did some comparision Dexed vs. Volca FM and to my ears Volca sounded a sinificantly better, more raw (i played same patches through Dexed and trough Volca FM).

• @dendy said:

@JackDwyerburger said:
    Does anyone have Dexed? How does it compare to KQ? I have it on desktop and really like it but have heard mixed stuff for iOS and already have a couple FM synths

Year or two ago i did some comparision Dexed vs. Volca FM and to my ears Volca sounded a sinificantly better, more raw (i played same patches through Dexed and trough Volca FM).

Could it be be the DAC in the Volca?
    Dexed also has multiple DAC emulations which are not present in KQ Dixie...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Does this cover ground not possible with Spectrum?

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

@WillieNegus said:
    Does this cover ground not possible with Spectrum?

Yep. Besides the added complexity/fine tuning of operators/tweakability you can also layer 4 patches ;)

Aha. Why don’t I have it then? Time to go solve that little issue.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2019

After update KQ DIXIE started constantly crashing in AUM (like 4 times out of 5). Using Ipad Pro 10.5 2017. I started it, then go to AU's preset folder (huge bank from Dexed archive), CPU is spike over 100 % and it crashing. Sometimes it is crashing just in 2 seconds.

I even reinstalled it twice.

Have anybody this issue too?

• @frthcomingstorm said:
    After update KQ DIXIE started constantly crashing in AUM (like 4 times out of 5). Using Ipad Pro 10.5 2017. I started it, then go to AU's preset folder (huge bank from Dexed archive), CPU is spike over 100 % and it crashing. Sometimes it is crashing just in 2 seconds.

I even reinstalled it twice.

Have anybody this issue too?

What OS?

It is stable for me 0s 12.3.1. iPad gen 6

• edited August 2019

@espiegel123

Sorry for late reply.

12.3.1 too. Ipad Pro 10.5. 2017

• Anyone else experiencing no sound from KQ Dixie? Same issue with both standalone and au

• All good here. Reboot the device?

• Never got the love for this. Dexed seems to be constantly working through programming and crash flaws, but it sounds so much better.

• Sorted - cutoff way down by default

• Getting volca FM tomorrow hoping to share some patches although I see volca FM buddy has disappeared from app store

• @oat_phipps said:
    Never got the love for this. Dexed seems to be constantly working through programming and crash flaws, but it sounds so much better.

Interesting. Just had a look but ui seems a bit iffy and reviews say its v buggy so not jumping in!

• @oat_phipps said:
    Never got the love for this. Dexed seems to be constantly working through programming and crash flaws, but it sounds so much better.

Kq is really light on the cpu so the appeal for me is lots of layering and getting really creative with effects chains

• edited August 2019

@JackDwyerburger said:

@oat_phipps said:

Kq is really light on the cpu so the appeal for me is lots of layering and getting really creative with effects chains

Same, take a bunch of instances and you have Digitone on your iPad, but better.

The UX on KQ Dixie is so flexible and intuitively designed for touch. I got Dexed for built in patches but I had already imported sysex into uCloud for KQD.

• @oat_phipps said:

Dexed sounds better? I thought they were both DX7 emu’s more or less. How are their sound engines different? Any thoughts appreciated b/c I’m trying to decide on an iOS FM synth...

• edited August 2019

Get both. 😁 I can't hear a difference, mostly because of the all the reverb and delays. 😊

KQ Dixie is better for hands on sound design because the interface is designed for iOS / touch.

Dexed is a desktop port and less intuitive but gives you boatloads of sysex so if you're just sysex/channel surfing, it'll be fine.

• @Shabudua said:

@oat_phipps said:

Dexed sounds better? I thought they were both DX7 emu’s more or less. How are their sound engines different? Any thoughts appreciated b/c I’m trying to decide on an iOS FM synth...

I am curious about this. I found one video last year where someone compared a few patches on actual DX7, KQ and desktop Dexed.

There were pretty minor differences to my ear (of course the audio was subject to youtube's lossy compression), and none of the three stood out as being better.

If someone has both, I would love to hear a recording demonstrating some patches where there is a significant difference along with a patch file for the patches.