Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KORG Vs. AUv3 Support, A Never Ending Story?

Comments

• I really hope they’re listening.

• I’ve stopped supporting Korg over it. The other biggie is @IK_Multimedia SampleTank. Who knows if sampletank will ever get auv3, but I do know most will not purchase new instrument packs if they don’t update.

• edited July 2019

I believe their AU on Mac is Auv2. For whatever reason their tools can’t support AUv3 which is required for iOS.

• I agree that Korg should update their apps to AU3. Also, on Mac isn’t it already possible to use them as AUs?

• But... there is always that dreadfully popular app, Gadget.
    Everything I’ve bought from Korg is useful in Gadget, a quite reasonably useful app, if my recollection of the last few hours are based in sanity.

• Korg makes a couple really amazing "walled gardens". In their space nothing comes close:

Korg Gadget - a collection of virtual hardware devices with a groove focused DAW at the core.
    Korg Module - a collection of instrumental ROM's with some nice FX and excellent live performance support (i.e. they load very fast and have songfests, etc).

AUv3 allows similar apps to run in other DAW's. I can see why the user would want them but no DAW
    or performance tool really competes with these Korg tools.

They also prefer to control the use of their products and not just compete against other synth and ROM-based app vendors. They use similar anti-open schemes against Yamaha, Nord, and Roland in the hardware world. In fact, they all do.

De facto and well defined platform standards (i.e. AUv3 benefits Apple more than any other group) are great for interoperability of a dozen different purchases but no AUv3 I own is really a better value in itself over Module for that ROM-pler use case. It's the best and I own every IAP they have provided. I will admit
    I rarely use it after getting into the AUM-based workflow for making/publishing music faster.

But let the continual complaints about everything needing to be AUv3 when new AUv3 products continue to ship at a rate few can actually consume. Don't buy any Korg apps if you don't want to.
    Nothing sounds quite like iWaveStation... I'm on the fence if I should add iM1 at this time. I hate Korg until I buy something and it just blows me away how really good it all is.

In the end it's all about making sounds. Korg has some really great sounds. They just tune us out.
    We don't really matter at their level of competition with their peers: Casio, Yamaha, Roland, Nord and
    Kawaii ("Trust the Force, Luke").

Off to find some Eventide demo's of apps 2 and 3 that just dropped into the music making world on IOS in an AUv3 package. Good times. Blackholes is waiting to be deployed on iPhone and iPad.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Korg makes great hardware but they don't understand ios music software environment at all. It's like a hardware sim and they have no awareness of how any other apps or the community works. Pretty deaf to suggestions too. I just got bot like responses from corporate low level grunts

• Well, I'm here, so that I know many people here want AUv3 support.
    Could you let me know what AUv3 host are you using? GarageBand, AUM or Cubasis?

One more thing I want to make sure: do you want our app such as Gadget behave as AUv3 synth, not as host?

• @ioue said:
    Well, I'm here, so that I know many people here want AUv3 support.

One more thing I want to make sure: do you want our app such as Gadget behave as AUv3 synth, not as host?

It would be nice if your synths were AUv3. For me, I would not have any use for Gadget beeing a AUv3 host.

• @ioue said:

AUM, Audiobus and NanoStudio 2.

My main interest is having iMono/Poly and Odyssei (and the other standalones) as AUv3. Having the built-in Gadget instruments as AUv3 or making it an AUv3 host would be a distant second.

• @ioue said:

I use AUM as auv3 host.
    I would like Gadget to behave as auv3 synth and your other synths too 😊

• Hi @ioue - I didn’t realize you were representing Korg also. Welcome!

Yes, the Gadgets as AUv3 in other hosts would be a dream. iOS is very modular, we tend to jump from Gadget to Cubasis to AUM to BM3 to NS2 etc. Opening up the Korg synths and other gadgets as AUv3 would mean they would get so much more airtime.

Starting with Odyssei would be fine with me 👍😎

Thx!

• Hi @ioue thanks for listening.

I use AUM and Cubasis as hosts, possible also Nanostudio 2 in the future. Ideally I think all Gadgets and Stand Alone synths should be available as AUv3 - so we can use them the same way as we currently can on the desktop - as plugins in other DAW's.

I don't think having all of Gadget as an AUv3 makes any sense, but the individual gadgets should be.

If Gadget could also work as an AUv3 host (so you could have tracks with AUv3 instruments and also mixer FX inserts with AUv3) that would make it a very powerfull DAW for those of use who likes the workflow in Gadget (which is very different from say for example Cubasis). It would also overcome many of the shortcomings people are complaining about, like proper EQ for mixing and a proper Sampler Gadget.

• I would like all the synths as auv3 too. I am not interested in gadget being an auv3 host at all, sorry. I like pretty much all the korg synths, But k don’t like using them in gadget.

Maybe there’s also room for Korg AU MIDI Processors too. It’d be amazing if the iMs20 sequencer for example could be used as an ajv3 driving any synth. :-) and the korg XOX sequencer could be a separate device so you could build a drum machine from different sources. An iMs20 kick coupled with ielectribe hi hats for example.

I am growing to like modularity on iOS more and more. You get to build a little setup and exclude all other distractions. This also removes the option paralysis you can get when staring at a blank project on a 27” screen!

Id love to use my Korg apps more than I already do and if they were auv3 I’d use them all the time.

I still use ielectribe in AUM but I get frustrated that the project is no longer self contained and you have to be careful with loading the correct preset in multiple places with IAA and this is counter productive.

This is Especially frustrating when you come back to a project after a few weeks or more and can’t remember the settings required as you didn’t write them down and end up with all the wrong sounds and fx.

Auv3 solves all those issues.

If would also mean all those gadgets that are stuck in a vacuum could have new hosts too.

Like many others here, I use a lot of different hosts on iOS whereas on desktop I’ve iused Logic exclusively for decades.

Another thing worth considering; if I had korg auv3 plugins, I’d be tempered to buy them for the Mac too so that I could start projects on the iPad and open the GarageBand project straight on Logic with the same plugins without having to bounce to audio.

• @ioue said:

I'm using Cubasis and AUM at the moment.
    Having the Korg synths as AUv3 would be fantastic! Thanks for looking into it!

I don't have Gadget, but if it was an AUv3 host I think I would consider buying it.

• @Peter321 said:
    Hi @ioue thanks for listening.

I use AUM and Cubasis as hosts, possible also Nanostudio 2 in the future. Ideally I think all Gadgets and Stand Alone synths should be available as AUv3 - so we can use them the same way as we currently can on the desktop - as plugins in other DAW's.

This is precisely as I see it as well!

Being able to use the individual Gadgets as AUv3's in Cubasis, NS2, BM3, GarageBand, AUM, apeMatrix.
    Naturally all the parameters of each Gadget should be available as AUParameters for automation.

I think one of the main reasons people want to use the Gadgets as AUv3 in other hosts is to overcome the limitations of the built-in sequencer in Gadget as not everyone is a fan of the track/scene approach and may prefer to use a linear sequencer.

Now of the 'track & scene' view worked more like a 'clip launcher' recording the 'clips' to a timeline like GarageBands 'Live Loops' things would be a bit different...

An AUv3 with all the 'IFX' Effects could be considered as a 'bonus'.
    The iMono/Poly effect sections are worthy of a separate AUv3 plug-in, call it Korg MultiFX.

• I really see few point in Korg Gadget Synths being AU, if that's the question.

You can start any number of them and connect to them with a MIDI port and channel.

It's even very convenient and I started to use Gadget more and more since Xequence, as it is so easy and fast to get a bunch of Synths connected.

Instead of hosting tiny AU windows in some host, I can just start Gadget and use it.
    I see no reason to change that.

And on the question of AU vs IAA in general, there seem to be some bunch of people who just for the sake of it want Apps to be AU, even of there is no reason at all.

If you don't need multiple instances, or if you want a big functional, multi-page GUI, you are way better off with IAA instead!

I do see some of the positive aspects, but in summary, I'm happy with Gadget as it is.
    The other KORG Synths?
    That would be neat to have them optionally as AU.

• edited July 2019

@EyeOhEss said:
    I use Beatmaker 3 as host. Id like your synths to be AU. Monopoly etc...for use in BM3...

Really? Last time I tried there was a bug where midi input channels didn't get saved with the Beatmaker bank.. So you had to asign the correct midi channel again for all your banks everytime you opened your project...

• @ioue said:

I would like to see Gadget as a host. Because it's a mobile DAW as I see. I can't see it as an instrument. Monopoly, ARP, etc. should get AU versions.

• @tja said:
    If you don't need multiple instances, or if you want a big functional, multi-page GUI, you are way better off with IAA instead!

I’m not sure what you mean by this. Even for big functional (?), multi page GUI plugins AUv3 is superior to IAA since it has painless state-saving, automatic host sync, and hassle-free MIDI setup. AUv3 can do almost anything IAA can do (with the sole exception of huge memory-gobbling sample stuff on lower-end gear) and makes everything easier for the user.

• edited July 2019

@EyeOhEss said:
    Not sure about that so can’t really comment, sorry.

Oh I thought you was sending midi from another app to Beatmaker just hosting your AU synths...

• @ioue said:

thanks for responding :)
    Yeah it would be great to have all the Gadgets as AUv3 so we can use them in any host just like you do for the Desktop version of Gadget.. Full version AUs of the standalone synths like imonopoly would be welcomed too of course.

• @tja said:
    I really see few point in Korg Gadget Synths being AU, if that's the question.

IAA is going away. Apple is deprecating it in iOS13 which is a way to tell developers that support for IAA will eventually be removed from iOS.

We do not know when, but IAA is now officially a dead end - which is why this whole discussion started, since all of KORG's instruments are only IAA at the moment.

• @ioue said:

GarageBand and Cubasis.

Each Gadget should be available as an individual AUv3

iM1 would be a great start

• edited July 2019

@ioue Thanks for prompting this question.....I have different workflows

My personal priority would be to use all Gadgets (with exeption of Taipei and Zurich, the FX part of Rosario, Durban would be good, but no need for the audio record part) hosted in Cubasis...

I will start something in Gadget, and then export the MIDI into Cubasis....I will where possible use the IAA equivalents of the Gadgets inside Cubasis....being able to use AUv3 instead would be really nice for State saving and multi instance. 2 Gadgets in particular that I use a lot but cannot use like this as there is no IAA version...Madrid and Gladstone.

Other times I will try and make something purely inside Gadget...when doing this I would like to be able to use AUv3 instruments (Galileo and Heavy Brass for example) and AUv3 FX like the FabFilter plugins - Because I cannot, I end up exporting Audio to Cubasis for mixing...

So in short, I wish that Gadget was AUv3 Host as well as Gadgets being AUv3 instruments, with AUv3 Instruments as the priority.

• @gusgranite said:
    Hi @ioue - I didn’t realize you were representing Korg also. Welcome!

Yes, the Gadgets as AUv3 in other hosts would be a dream. iOS is very modular, we tend to jump from Gadget to Cubasis to AUM to BM3 to NS2 etc. Opening up the Korg synths and other gadgets as AUv3 would mean they would get so much more airtime.

Starting with Odyssei would be fine with me 👍😎

Thx!

This for me too. I rarely post here but lurk a lot. I LOVE the Korg synths, even iDS-10, but so rarely do they feature in anything that gets finishes as IAA is a real PITA compared to AUv3.

I use apematrix and Auria Pro - ape for ‘jamming’, Auria for songs and band stuff, swapping between the two as and when. With AUv3s it’s easy, iMS-20 didn’t even show in Auria last time I tried, that and ODYSSEi would feature in everything if they were AUv3s.

I tried the free version of Gadget and it didn’t suit me. As someone else mentioned, the iMS20 sequencer as a midi au would be great too. Perhaps I’m just stuck in the 80s