Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Korg Synths are on sale 50% off

Comments

• @Samu said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

Wavestation does allow patch editing and saving in Gadget, the Write button is inconspicuously hidden on the "browser" page, and it was added awhile back in a modest update.

If I recall correctly it's more 'limited' than doing the editing in the full iWavestation app?
    But I'll re-check...

Amp envelopes can be tweaked but not pitch & filter mod envelopes and no way to change to 'structure' to single layer and tweak the ring-mod & hard sync options etc. etc.

Yeah, it’s limited in Gadget. Still way more options than iM1 luckily.

• Well you can still save presets in Wavestation and M1 to the user cards, they will show up in Gadget.

• @R_2 said:

Yeah, but I mean there's not even a way to change or set the 'speed/step-duration' of the tables.
    And if the 'preset' doesn't contain a wave-table or any table it's not possible to add or remove additional steps.
    (At least Pitch & Filter envelopes could be 'added').

Sometimes I do end up with some 'happy accidents' with the Random button :)

The Darwin Gadget is missing all the 'Combi' sounds which are quite nice.

• @Samu said:

@tja said:
    Gadget plus those now:

The IAPs for iM1 and iWavestation add a bunch of waveforms/samples & preset so if you love the 'Korg Sound' they are well worth it :)

I have all for iM1, but none for iWavestation - will have a look, thanks for the recommendation!

• @mistkerl said:
    Are the iap‘s on sale as well? What’s the original price for the ODYSSEi iaps?

I checked and they seem to be on sale too. I think the original price is around $5 each. I paid €3,49 each, euro tax included.

• Doubt to pick up Electribe Wave I own Groove RIder and what I undersstood from some on this list this list is far superior to Electribe Wave. Anyone some suggestions if they're right and Electribe Wave is not worth it.

• @BroCoast said:
    :+1:

What's everyone's favourite? Thinking polysix or monopoly but I hear good things about wavestation?

Mine is iMS-20, because I have an MS-20 Mini. The app serves as a preset librarian of sorts for a classic synth that has no presets. Is it perfect? No, but it's fine for my uses. For me the biggest flaw is the sequencer, because all step values are entered by knobs, which is hard to control, and there is no zoom to make it easier to set the knobs and see the values.

iMonoPoly sounds great but it's got its own oddball layout - would probably have to watch somebody's Youtube video just to learn how to adjust filter and envelope settings - which are the standard things that everybody wants to know how to tweak on any analog/VA synth.

Audiokit D1 killed my GAS for iM1 or iWavestation.

• @silent1 said:

@mistkerl said:
    Are the iap‘s on sale as well? What’s the original price for the ODYSSEi iaps?

I checked and they seem to be on sale too. I think the original price is around $5 each. I paid €3,49 each, euro tax included.

Seems all IAPs are 33%off.
    Korg’s news page if wrong about Ivory American D, current price is $19,99 :/

• R_2R_2
    edited July 2019

@Samu said:

@R_2 said:

Yeah, but I mean there's not even a way to change or set the 'speed/step-duration' of the tables.
    And if the 'preset' doesn't contain a wave-table or any table it's not possible to add or remove additional steps.
    (At least Pitch & Filter envelopes could be 'added').

Sometimes I do end up with some 'happy accidents' with the Random button :)

The Darwin Gadget is missing all the 'Combi' sounds which are quite nice.

True, I always create new stuff in iWavestation. But Milpitas still offers very interesting possibilities, especially for those intimidated by the complexity of the standalone.
    Just changing wavesequences (32 of those on each card) can give surprising results.
    Same for changing ‘Parts’ (35 on each card).
    Ramdom button is fun but unfortunately doesn’t selects waves from the iap cards.

• Odyssei is king. I still use it for its incredible note/modulation sequencer. The rest fell away long ago, although most of them are pretty darn good.

• Interesting article on Synthanatomy:

KORG Vs. AUv3 Support, A Never Ending Story?

http://www.synthanatomy.com/2019/07/korg-auv3-support-story.html

• @mannix said:
    Doubt to pick up Electribe Wave I own Groove RIder and what I undersstood from some on this list this list is far superior to Electribe Wave. Anyone some suggestions if they're right and Electribe Wave is not worth it.

After playing with grooverider for a long time. I bought wave an hour ago. I am having a ton of fun, it brings something new to the table. You can not import your own wavetable sounds. However drumsamples can be imported. With the drums it gives a korg electribe es 1 feeling.
    No it is not a grooverider replacement, but brings some fresh fun with it.

• @GovernorSilver said:

@BroCoast said:

What's everyone's favourite? Thinking polysix or monopoly but I hear good things about wavestation?

Mine is iMS-20, because I have an MS-20 Mini. The app serves as a preset librarian of sorts for a classic synth that has no presets. Is it perfect? No, but it's fine for my uses. For me the biggest flaw is the sequencer, because all step values are entered by knobs, which is hard to control, and there is no zoom to make it easier to set the knobs and see the values.

iMonoPoly sounds great but it's got its own oddball layout - would probably have to watch somebody's Youtube video just to learn how to adjust filter and envelope settings - which are the standard things that everybody wants to know how to tweak on any analog/VA synth.

Ah, I don't have D1 yet. I have an MS20, MS10 & Odyssey so I don't think I need them and this no AU business has put me off these apps, such a shame. Damn you Krog!

• @White said:
    Interesting article on Synthanatomy:

In my opinion, the author exaggerates the likelihood that IAA support is disappearing in the near future. It isn't disappearing in the next OS and could very well be supported for several years.

It seems likely Korg is working on or planning its next generation and wisely saying nothing till its ready --which could be quite a while given how much work is likely to be required. Think about how long it took to port Digital D1 and realize that the Gadget family is a considerably larger project.

• @Samu said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

Wavestation does allow patch editing and saving in Gadget, the Write button is inconspicuously hidden on the "browser" page, and it was added awhile back in a modest update.

If I recall correctly it's more 'limited' than doing the editing in the full iWavestation app?
    But I'll re-check...

Amp envelopes can be tweaked but not pitch & filter mod envelopes and no way to change to 'structure' to single layer and tweak the ring-mod & hard sync options etc. etc.

Yep, and the timing/level/pitch wavesequence pattern apparently cannot be changed either.
    Since the presets saved in iWavestation are available in its Gadget counterpart as well, that's no problem for me.

• @Carnbot said:
    Do people still use KEW? Or did the novelty wear off?
    Tempted to pick that up despite annoying Korg connectivity policies :)

I must say that after learning how to use Groove Rider with its better wavetable synth, pitched sample playback and sample slicer, i have lost interest in KEW.

• @Carnbot said:
    Do people still use KEW? Or did the novelty wear off?
    Tempted to pick that up despite annoying Korg connectivity policies :)

I started to last year but I found it far too quiet to hear what I was doing, then far too quiet when I exported the results into gadget. In other words, it’s far too quiet to hear.

• @BroCoast said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@BroCoast said:

Ah, I don't have D1 yet. I have an MS20, MS10 & Odyssey so I don't think I need them and this no AU business has put me off these apps, such a shame. Damn you Krog!

I'd flirted with the idea of getting iM1 because I used M01D on Nintendo DS, but could never make up my mind. iM1 seemed like it could be the multitimbral digital synth I could lean on, but, no easy way to load it into AUM...

Then the AudioKit peeps hit the scene. They seem to be on top of the latest tech. I'd dabbled with microtuning, and they've put it in D1. And it loads into AUM. As long as you're not on an IOS beta anyway.

• R_2R_2
    edited July 2019

@rs2000 said:

@Samu said:
    But I'll re-check...

Yep, and the timing/level/pitch wavesequence pattern apparently cannot be changed either.
    Since the presets saved in iWavestation are available in its Gadget counterpart as well, that's no problem for me.

Timing (and XFade) can’t but level and pitch (semi tones) of waveseq can be changed in Milpitas/Gadget.

• I can only speak from my personal experience, but my future purchasing is very much influenced by two factors; auv3 and universal support. The former has become essential; the latter a strong preference.

As for Korg apps; I purchased ielectribe when it was released back in the 1970s IIRC and have since also bought ims20, ipolysix and Gadget. And probably some others I’ve forgotten.

On the one hand I really like iElectribe and iMS20. But over the many years I’ve had them they’ve not been used anywhere near as much as their sound deserves.

And the more I use gadget, the less I like it.

Auv3 has been a massive game changer for me on iOS. Before auv3 I’d use apps like ielectribe as toys. I enjoyed playing with them every once in a while, but other than creating the odd loop, I wasn’t productive with them. I’ve never enjoyed using IAA apps. It had always felt horribly limited and constrained compared to using desktop DAWS and plugins.

Auv3 ok iOS has changed that.

If the Korg apps were auv3 I’d probably own them all. As it stands I doubt I will ever buy another. As much as I’d like Odyssei, for esample, unless it’s ever released as an auv3 i won’t be tempted.

This is obviously a subjective matter and I’m not criticising those that like gadget or IAA apps. But there are countless apps that I’d love to own that are much higher up in the list than the Korg apps.

Given the nostalgia factor, I think that’s a shame.

• @klownshed said:
    Auv3 has been a massive game changer for me on iOS.

It's 100% changed the platform for me. Sync is no longer a concern, recall is perfect... All the woes of IAA are gone. I now feel confident I can work on an AUM project at anytime, weeks/months after I started it.

• @white, thanks for the article. Of course, IAA isn’t going away anytime soon, but the author is spot on from my limited perspective. I would particularly like to use Module, but never do because I can find AUv3 counterparts for all the types of instruments I use. I purchased Gadget, iM1 and Module early on... but, frankly, it was out of ignorance. I simply didn’t realize 1/it was a self contained environment and 2/I didn’t even know what a self contained environment was! I know I can get iM1 and Module into Cubasis, but I just gravitate to AUs and iAAs that connect more easily.

• Just a FYI if anyone who already owned Korg Module updates to the pro version for free using the App Store. In my case doing that lost all my Module's sounds, but after deleting the app and re downloading it again from the "Purchases" section of the App Store, all the sounds came back again.

• @jaijai said:

@mannix said:
    Doubt to pick up Electribe Wave I own Groove RIder and what I undersstood from some on this list this list is far superior to Electribe Wave. Anyone some suggestions if they're right and Electribe Wave is not worth it.

After playing with grooverider for a long time. I bought wave an hour ago. I am having a ton of fun, it brings something new to the table. You can not import your own wavetable sounds. However drumsamples can be imported. With the drums it gives a korg electribe es 1 feeling.
    No it is not a grooverider replacement, but brings some fresh fun with it.

Thx, fun is needed, so bought it!

• @davis_korgrd Not sure if anyone from Korg is on the iPad Musicians Facebook group (10,000 members) but AUv3 is a hot topic there also!

• edited July 2019

• edited July 2019

Oh no the AUpocalypse is upon us >:)

• @LucidMusicInc said:

Free those synths!

Odyssei in BM3/NS2. Mmmmmmm

• @gusgranite said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

Free those synths!

Odyssei in BM3/NS2. Mmmmmmm

It's possible using IAA but AUv3 would be much more convenient of course.
    If in 2030 we still have IAA, it must be because of KORG ;)