Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

TC Electronic June-60 Chorus Face Off! - Daveypoo, The Mobile Music Minstrel

edited July 2019 in Other

Here's a shorter one where I compare TC Electronic's June-60 chorus pedal (marketed as a clone of the famous chorus from the Roland Juno-60) to FAC Chorus, Zero Chorus, Turnado and Svep on the iPad. I hope you dig it!

@FredAntonCorvest @Blamsoft @sugarbytes

Comments

• Interesting. Thanks for saving me $50, we’d discussed this a while back while yours was on back order. That is a huge disappointment in sound quality. Just wrecks that bass.

As always, FAC delivers in spades.

• Agreed on all fronts - glad I saved you the cash. It will be going back - massively disappointing. If someone could ACTUALLY pull off a real clone of the Juno-60 I'd be all over it, but this ain't it.

• I’ve owned several Juno 106 and FAC sounds the closest. I had high hopes for June 60 but the really managed to fuck it up.

• Tc electronics doesn’t exist anymore,it’s been bought by behringer.
    They have also bought tannoy.
    Did you already hear the new tannoys?? A pure joke.
    I have an old hi end pair of tannoy monitors.Just another world.The price is also not the same at all.
    The old tc chorus pedal(can’t remember the name),was outstanding as was their chorus rack unit.
    Buy this 😉.

• edited July 2019

@cyberheater said:
    I had high hopes for June 60 but the really managed to fuck it up.

Yup - to be honest @flo26 , I expected more since Behringer has been knocking out of the park lately with their synths and audio interfaces, and both they and TC are owned by the same parent company.

I guess not... but hey - more props to @FredAntonCorvest for destroying a piece of hardware with CODE. That's some development badassery right there.

• McDMcD
    edited July 2019

As always, excellent video... no extra time wasted and delivers on it's intended purpose.

I do think a $50 pedal with metal toggle button, active by-pass, in a sturdy metal case, mono--to-stereo that a a keyboard/guitarist might use it at the end of a pedal rig into a PA or dual amp set up. Sorry, it's not great on the low end but most buyers will be those guitar and keyboard players. Frankly, for the money it looks like a good value. I've never seen a TC Electronic Pedal at that price which is also a clue they don't think it's their best circuit design. "Analog bucket brigade" which I think describes a really cheap chip that accepts analog signals and uses digital guts to add many delays with each being attenuated and fed to the output as a modified analog signal.

To sell this product through resellers TC Electronics cost has to be about $15 I think.

For many live applications I always consider the cost of replacement if someone snags my gear.
    iPads are VERY attractive to thieves and purpose built guitar pedals are not.

Anyway, for $50 it's "good enough". Is it sturdy? Just converting to stereo means it serves 2 purposes for me since I have their Stereo Ditto X2 Looping pedal and can add it without Y cables or 2 longer guitar cables.

TC Electronics is probably using this chip to deliver on that price strategy (their tuning pedal is $80):

I'm not surprised the iPad has better signal processing capabilities. Mine cost $429 and I went really cheap. Most guitar pedal boards have about $500+ in them on the low end so
    I'd use the iPad too if I was gigging in dive bars and bolt that sucker to the mic stand with a really heavy base and maybe tie wrap the mic cord for security.

• Hmm.. I am actually liking the June 60, at least more than most here, it seems, but something is wrong about the stereo.. It seems to be panning back and forth, which is wrong. The Roland chorus didn’t do that. At least not as I remember my Juno 106 (never had a 60). I wonder if that is due to some interaction between the slightly detuned dual oscillators of the synth and the June 60. Wish I could hear it with just a single oscillator fed into the June 60, or more tightly synced dual oscillators.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    Hmm.. I am actually liking the June 60, at least more than most here, it seems, but something is wrong about the stereo.. It seems to be panning back and forth, which is wrong. The Roland chorus didn’t do that. At least not as I remember my Juno 106 (never had a 60). I wonder if that is due to some interaction between the slightly detuned dual oscillators of the synth and the June 60. Wish I could hear it with just a single oscillator fed into the June 60, or more tightly synced dual oscillators.

Your hearing isn't off - even with a single oscillator the June-60 is very "washy" for lack of a better term. It does kind of pan back and forth, and there's NO subtlety to it at all.

@McD There's definitely value here for some - this isn't unusable. It is for me, however, as it didn't fit my intended purpose as I'd hoped. I considered keeping it around simply as a mono-to-stereo switch - I've seen those for $50 at least and I have to say, I REALLY like the way the June-60 looks. And I'm not super psyched to have to rely on my iPad on the gig. But I just don't like the sound - there's no other way to slice it. The apps sound better, and I can't justify keeping a piece of gear that I'm "meh" about.

• @Daveypoo said:
    The apps sound better, and I can't justify keeping a piece of gear that I'm "meh" about.

I don't have a pedal that beats my iPad but I'm sure there are some. Well, that Ditto X2 Looper
    does function well for simple Looping compared to the Bluetooth Pedal into any iPad Looper.
    Starting and Stoping recordings with precision is key to looping so I probably need a great Bluetooth pedal with better switches. I'm too cheap.

From a business perspective the retailer and TC Electronics have to sell 2 more of these turds to break even after your return so your video might actually help them avoid customers with discriminating tastes or ones that taste discriminating: a flavor that seems to be increasing in public discourse.

"America - Love it or leave it." - Spiro Agnew
    "I'm an italian citizen. Ciao, losers." - could be said by @daveypoo

• @McD said:

"Go back to where you came from." - DJT

• @Daveypoo: Thanks for the experiment!
    Chorus on bass is indeed a difficult matter, and I just had to try something for myself.
    Try these settings with Zero Chorus, BandShift and Discord 4 and tell me what you think.
    Note that I haven't used the LFO in Discord 4 and make sure you set the HPF like I did.

Have fun!

• @rs2000 Oh man, I forgot about Discord4! I dig that app, but haven't used it in a bit...

I don't have Bandshift, but I'll try out the settings in the others later on. Thanks for the tip!

• @Daveypoo said:
    @rs2000 Oh man, I forgot about Discord4! I dig that app, but haven't used it in a bit...

I don't have Bandshift, but I'll try out the settings in the others later on. Thanks for the tip!

No prob, I like Discord 4 the best anyway!
    Also play with different band pass settings in both filters and use them as a sound shaper to enhance whatever fits the bass sound best. Settings are very different depending on each bass sound. B)

• edited July 2019

@cyberheater said:
    I’ve owned several Juno 106 and FAC sounds the closest. I had high hopes for June 60 but the really managed to fuck it up.

Big fan of the Juno 106 chorus too :D
    I was tempted to buy the TC Electronic's June-60 pedal as well, and then... I always end up on "Classic 6A Chorus I" :blush:

Great video @Daveypoo, if you compare FAC Chorus to a Juno you have to use "Classic 6A Chorus I" or "Classic 6A Chorus II" only. And play only with the output gain if needed. Do not touch other knobs.

• @FredAntonCorvest
    "Classic 6A Chorus I" or "Classic 6A Chorus II"

Yes ! My two most favourite presets !

• @FredAntonCorvest said:

@cyberheater said:
    I’ve owned several Juno 106 and FAC sounds the closest. I had high hopes for June 60 but the really managed to fuck it up.

I was tempted to buy the TC Electronic's June-60 pedal as well, and then... I always end up on "Classic 6A Chorus I" :blush:

Great video @Daveypoo, if you compare FAC Chorus to a Juno you have to use "Classic 6A Chorus I" or "Classic 6A Chorus II" only. And play only with the output gain if needed. Do not touch other knobs.

I like this, when a boss lays down the law.

• @FredAntonCorvest said:

Hey, me too!

The goal of the video was to present the "personality" of each of the choruses rather than try for a 1:1 matching of the settings, and hopefully the point still came across in spite of this. Most times I don't even get past whatever your default preset is though, @FredAntonCorvest - it sounds incredible straight outta the box!

Can't wait to hear the new IAPs you've got in store for Bandit as well, sir. Keep up the excellent work!

• @McD said:
    As always, excellent video... no extra time wasted and delivers on it's intended purpose.

I do think a $50 pedal with metal toggle button, active by-pass, in a sturdy metal case, mono--to-stereo that a a keyboard/guitarist might use it at the end of a pedal rig into a PA or dual amp set up. Sorry, it's not great on the low end but most buyers will be those guitar and keyboard players. Frankly, for the money it looks like a good value. I've never seen a TC Electronic Pedal at that price which is also a clue they don't think it's their best circuit design. "Analog bucket brigade" which I think describes a really cheap chip that accepts analog signals and uses digital guts to add many delays with each being attenuated and fed to the output as a modified analog signal.

To sell this product through resellers TC Electronics cost has to be about $15 I think.

For many live applications I always consider the cost of replacement if someone snags my gear.

Anyway, for $50 it's "good enough". Is it sturdy? Just converting to stereo means it serves 2 purposes for me since I have their Stereo Ditto X2 Looping pedal and can add it without Y cables or 2 longer guitar cables.

TC Electronics is probably using this chip to deliver on that price strategy (their tuning pedal is $80):

I'm not surprised the iPad has better signal processing capabilities. Mine cost $429 and I went really cheap. Most guitar pedal boards have about $500+ in them on the low end so
    I'd use the iPad too if I was gigging in dive bars and bolt that sucker to the mic stand with a really heavy base and maybe tie wrap the mic cord for security.

TC/Behringer uses the Cool Audio MN3205 in this June pedal. Low voltage version of an MN3005.

The Juno 60 chorus uses MN3009 that eventually get noisier and noisier then die. It's kind of a unique chorus sound that you can't imitate with other Roland analog chorus units from the 80's. It just makes the Juno sound massive, so much you never want to turn it off. I put my Casio Sk1 through my Juno 6 with a mod years ago and no shit it sounded like a Juno through it.

• @Daveypoo said:

@McD said:

I would be split between Ireland and Finland. Do I target the mid-point?

But I realize DJT was kidding and this only instruction applies to his political opponents.

On the other hand it's nice to have that dual-citizenship option, huh?

• @BroCoast said:

@McD said:

TC/Behringer uses the Cool Audio MN3205 in this June pedal. Low voltage version of an MN3005.

The Juno 60 chorus uses MN3009 that eventually get noisier and noisier then die. It's kind of a unique chorus sound that you can't imitate with other Roland analog chorus units from the 80's. It just makes the Juno sound massive, so much you never want to turn it off. I put my Casio Sk1 through my Juno 6 with a mod years ago and no shit it sounded like a Juno through it.

Sweet. A hardware hacker.

• edited July 2019

@McD said:

@Daveypoo said:

https://media2.giphy.com/media/dEdmW17JnZhiU/giphy.gif

This is really the only appropriate response...

On the other hand it's nice to have that dual-citizenship option, huh?

It's all about timing...

• @BroCoast said:

@McD said:

Bro', have you ever thought about using dumped D-RAM chips for building a monster BBD delay?