Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus and Ableton Link and Fugue Machine

So I am working on the process for a new video using Xequence and Audiobus. General workflow and multi tracking and stuff.

What I am finding is Fugue machine and other generative apps do not follow Audiobus and Ableton link like they do in AUM. In AUM, things just sync up when recording midi into Xequence. In Audiobus it is hit or miss as to if the AUv3 follows correctly. The good thing is that editing a midi clip inside of Xequence is super fluid.

@Alexandernaut @Michael @brambos should AUv3 apps follow the host transport? Fugue starts as soon as play is press instead of waiting for the next bar. Same with Collider but Bassline follows great.

Comments

• @gmslayton said:
    So I am working on the process for a new video using Xequence and Audiobus. General workflow and multi tracking and stuff.

What I am finding is Fugue machine and other generative apps do not follow Audiobus and Ableton link like they do in AUM. In AUM, things just sync up when recording midi into Xequence. In Audiobus it is hit or miss as to if the AUv3 follows correctly. The good thing is that editing a midi clip inside of Xequence is super fluid.

@Alexandernaut @Michael @brambos should AUv3 apps follow the host transport? Fugue starts as soon as play is press instead of waiting for the next bar. Same with Collider but Bassline follows great.

Have you tried using MIDI Clock instead? I think when you use MIDI Clock (or IAA sync), you get immediate start vs. the one bar wait with a lot of apps when using Ableton Link (which drives me nuts when using link)

• @espiegel123 I have tried several different configurations with and without link. One issue is getting everything to start properly to record. With Ableton link start/stop it just works.

• There is nothing in the AU standard which specifies how to behave. Behavior like Link will be the exception rather than the rule. AUs can easily detect the host’s tempo and whether the host is running. Keeping the beat-phases aligned is a bit more involved.

• @gmslayton said:

Fugue Machine should definitely be following the transport when it's hosted in AB, though - I just checked and it definitely does, although you have to enable playback first by tapping the bottom left white play button in FM. Are you certain it's not working for you?

• edited July 2019

I think what he means is Fugue starts early. It plays a bit before everything else starts when you hit play in AB. You have to hit the bottom right stop button, then the bottom left play button, then hit start in AB and it will line up properly.

It's different to having a stop button in AUM.

• Is this called Phase with Link? It’s not starting on the real downbeat of the phrase

• @Michael I have checked and it does follow it just starts not on the down beat.

@BroCoast exactly. Fugue starts as soon as the play button in audio bus or Xequence or anything else that is controlling the Ableton Link transport instead of waiting until the next down beat.

• edited July 2019

@gmslayton I checked Collider. It looks like it is sending notes on the GUI ,but instead it just rearranges the notes. Maybe a GUI glitch @brambos , but it definitely is in sync with AB3 and Link enabled.
    I don’t have FM or Xequence, but that behavior @Michael reminds me that when there are no Linked apps, AB3 starts immediately. So @gmslayton double check that inside AB3 Link is enabled , Xequence has it enabled too and both apps are Linked.

• So I figured something out. If you don't have any other ableton link apps open then AB3 starts as soon as you press play. Resulting in what seems to be great syncing with Fugue Machine. But as soon as you bring in another app with ableton link, AB3 follows the Ableton Link temp and stuff leaving Fugue Machine to do its own thing.

So for whatever reason Fugue Machine starts when the AB3 play button is pressed not on the down beat.

• Hmm, okay. Let me look into this @gmslayton - it's probably my fault 😄

• @gmslayton said:
    So I figured something out. If you don't have any other ableton link apps open then AB3 starts as soon as you press play. Resulting in what seems to be great syncing with Fugue Machine. But as soon as you bring in another app with ableton link, AB3 follows the Ableton Link temp and stuff leaving Fugue Machine to do its own thing.

So for whatever reason Fugue Machine starts when the AB3 play button is pressed not on the down beat.

Yeah, this is the downside of combining Link with AU. I use AUM if I'm going to do this as it's easier to use with the return to zero/start button next to the play button. As long as I use that and hit play in AUM or Xequence coming up on a downbeat it always lines up perfect.

• I've now fixed this in the dev version, @gmslayton; beta is uploading and waiting for app review now.