Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Do you like Spectrum? Would you like it to have MPE? Support your local developer :)

this is from the other spectrum discussion, but I thought it was deserving of its own - especially since these sorts of things can quickly get buried in multipage threads.

@burns_audio said:
Hi everyone,

I'm back and starting work on the next release of Spectrum, although I need to do an update for SynthModes first.

Regarding MPE. It's not something I use or particularly care about, but there seems to be a passionate subsection of the community who are quite interested in having it, so tell ya what.

I decided to run a tiny gofundme. If the community can raise $500CAD to buy me a Roli Seaboard Block, I'll add MPE to Spectrum.

https://www.gofundme.com/add-mpe-support-to-spectrum-ios-synthesizers

Comments

• I don't have a MPE controller, but it would be a welcome addition. Also, makes polyphonic microtuning possible as you can send per channel pitch bends. So that future Mozaic project may just bring my dreams of a Just Intonated Spectrum synth to fruition :D

Even if you don't care about MPE... if you're enjoying these incredible ports as I am, please consider chipping in as a show of support.

cheers!

• Wow, what a great way to ask for funding MPE development!

• If I were a decision maker at Roli, I would give keyboards to proven developers for free, and by proven I mean they released a music app, because I would be thinking that more MPE capable apps would lead to more purchases of Roli products.

Also, If anyone can think of a legitimate reason for me to get a crowdsourced Seaboard, let me know. The only things I have thought of so far would clearly be scams which would never withstand minor scrutiny... ;)

• @palm said:
    this is from the other spectrum discussion, but I thought it was deserving of its own - especially since these sorts of things can quickly get buried in multipage threads.

@burns_audio said:
    Hi everyone,

I'm back and starting work on the next release of Spectrum, although I need to do an update for SynthModes first.

Regarding MPE. It's not something I use or particularly care about, but there seems to be a passionate subsection of the community who are quite interested in having it, so tell ya what.

I decided to run a tiny gofundme. If the community can raise $500CAD to buy me a Roli Seaboard Block, I'll add MPE to Spectrum.

excellent call! I hope people can throw a few bob at this even if MPE is not important to them, just a nice way to say thanks for creating a free ios app which is awesome :-)

• Is there any general sequencers that support mpe? Honestly I dont see much use for mpe supporting synths etc before there is a proper mpe sequencer. Id love an mpe controller and proper sequencer au for it, but either just playing live or using the roli app to record mpe isnt good enough imo :/ but i guess some people are ok with it

• @ToMess said:
    Is there any general sequencers that support mpe? Honestly I dont see much use for mpe supporting synths etc before there is a proper mpe sequencer. Id love an mpe controller and proper sequencer au for it, but either just playing live or using the roli app to record mpe isnt good enough imo :/ but i guess some people are ok with it

Cubasis, Stagelight and GarageBand are MPE...

IMO creating a new instrument or daw without it is short sighted. It’s more than clear that MpE is the future of midi.

• edited July 2019

@WillieNegus said:

@ToMess said:
    Is there any general sequencers that support mpe? Honestly I dont see much use for mpe supporting synths etc before there is a proper mpe sequencer. Id love an mpe controller and proper sequencer au for it, but either just playing live or using the roli app to record mpe isnt good enough imo :/ but i guess some people are ok with it

Cubasis, Stagelight and GarageBand are MPE...

IMO creating a new instrument or daw without it is short sighted. It’s more than clear that MpE is the future of midi.

Oh i didnt know about cubasis or stagelight having it now, forgot about garbageband. I guess that makes mpe quite bit better for ios

• edited July 2019

@ToMess
    garbageband

no idea if this was intentional or just typo but it's epic :lol: :D :trollface:

• @dendy said:

@ToMess
    garbageband

no idea if this was intentional or just typo but it's epic :lol: :D :trollface:

Hey hey hey take it easy 😂

• @palm said:

@burns_audio said:
    Hi everyone,

Will happily contribute.

Don't have an MPE controller nor am i planning to get one, but will happily support a developer who has generously devoted so much time to these FREE apps, for which he is paid nothing.

I know about his paid app, but would rather donate here than pay for an app that I don't foresee using in the near future.

• I have a roli seaboard block I offered to @LinearLineman ... If he doesn’t want it, @burns_audio is welcome to it. I prefer the lightblocks so the seaboard has been sitting on a shelf for well over a year collecting dust. Would be honored to know it’s being used well.

• @WillieNegus said:

So in the future, not only will you have to fundraise for a Roli controller, but also for one separate MIDI interface per hardware device 😂

• @SevenSystems would love to see you create a new MPE standard :)

If it worked with ROLIs and your own not yet released MPE keyboards, It would be a hit

• @audiobussy said:
    @SevenSystems would love to see you create a new MPE standard :)

If it worked with ROLIs and your own not yet released MPE keyboards, It would be a hit

Sorry, didn't want to come over as an ass, but I'm probably already known around here as a passionate "MPE hater" 😄

I could develop my own "standard" that would be better than MPE in every way in a matter of minutes (anyone who understands the first bit about MIDI could) -- but then I have the "Network Effect" or "Chicken and Egg" problem.

I totally see the value in per-note control and recording and editing of that data. But especially for Xequence, it would be totally useless if it used MPE for transmitting and receiving that data, as Xequence is especially dependent upon MIDI channels for separate instruments. Which, to be fair, is what MIDI channels were all about from 1983 to 2015 😁

• @SevenSystems said:

@WillieNegus said:

So in the future, not only will you have to fundraise for a Roli controller, but also for one separate MIDI interface per hardware device 😂

I actually never mind being of service to a deserving person or an idea whose time has come. Also, raising capital is sorta my thing.

Ultimately, this devs request, especially after making free high quality plugins for everyone seemed humble. Compelling to many who’ve downloaded I hope. I have to imagine that If he charged for them he’d have surely raised enough for one himself.

He’s proven he’s of service to us so why not help him expand that and see what other goodies he comes up with? It’s actually a selfish thing I offered.

• @WillieNegus said:

@SevenSystems said:

@WillieNegus said:

I actually never mind being of service to a deserving person or an idea whose time has come. Also, raising capital is sorta my thing.

Ultimately, this devs request, especially after making free high quality plugins for everyone seemed humble. Compelling to many who’ve downloaded I hope. I have to imagine that If he charged for them he’d have surely raised enough for one himself.

He’s proven he’s of service to us so why not help him expand that and see what other goodies he comes up with? It’s actually a selfish thing I offered.

Well said! 👏

• @WillieNegus said:

@SevenSystems said:

@WillieNegus said:

@WillieNegus said:

@SevenSystems said:

@WillieNegus said:

Of course, I never meant to criticise the fundraiser. My post was just a stab at MPE in general. So, essentially OT. Sorry 🙃

• Took no offense @SevenSystems

If you were offering the complexity of your apps free id be offering a lot more than a seaboard to help you expand that. In fact, I’m pretty sure that’d be a pretty long line of “fundraisers”.lol

• @burns_audio

Great work!

Audiokit has donated $100 – a gift from one music open-source project to another.

And, if for some reason my buddy @WillieNegus is unable to hook you up, we can hook you up w/ a ROLI controller.

[email protected]

Cheers,

• @analog_matt said:
    @burns_audio

Great work!

Audiokit has donated $100 – a gift from one music open-source project to another.

And, if for some reason my buddy @WillieNegus is unable to hook you up, we can hook you up w/ a ROLI controller.

[email protected]

Cheers,

Haha! A like B alike... This doesn’t surprise me one bit and why I love you guys. Let’s connect soon and amplify this type of energy right here bro. Tryna be like you when I grow up you already know 😉

• Holy moly! You guys are too great. Thank you everyone who has contributed, offered help and shared the campaign. You're all awesome and thank you for the support.

@WillieNegus that's a huge offer. I'll be messaging you momentarily.

@analog_matt Thank you so much for your generosity! I'm speechless!

• edited July 2019

@analog_matt you rock dude

• @burns_audio said:
    Holy moly! You guys are too great. Thank you everyone who has contributed, offered help and shared the campaign. You're all awesome and thank you for the support.

@WillieNegus that's a huge offer. I'll be messaging you momentarily.

@analog_matt Thank you so much for your generosity! I'm speechless!

It's no small thing you've done for the music makers of the world. I'm gathering tools and resources to do synth workshops and lessons with kids and to have such wonderful instruments available for free like Spectrum, Synth One, and VCV rack... it's absolutely mindblowing. You're doing a wonderful thing for the world.

I think it's all too easy to forget that an app that's just a few dollars, while pocket change to some, might be completely inaccessible to someone else. It's the sort of work these brilliant folks do that gives me a glimmer of hope in this wild world we live in <3

• @SevenSystems said:

@audiobussy said:
    @SevenSystems would love to see you create a new MPE standard :)

Sorry, didn't want to come over as an ass, but I'm probably already known around here as a passionate "MPE hater" 😄

I could develop my own "standard" that would be better than MPE in every way in a matter of minutes (anyone who understands the first bit about MIDI could) -- but then I have the "Network Effect" or "Chicken and Egg" problem.

I totally see the value in per-note control and recording and editing of that data. But especially for Xequence, it would be totally useless if it used MPE for transmitting and receiving that data, as Xequence is especially dependent upon MIDI channels for separate instruments. Which, to be fair, is what MIDI channels were all about from 1983 to 2015 😁

I’ve been curious about this for a while. I understand how MPE would take over an entire MIDI cable but with NxM MIDI switches like https://motu.com/products/midi/128 available how much are you really losing? Is it that we just don’t have the concept of virtual cables available in iOS? Can’t I generate and route completely isolated MIDI between different AUv3s or even standalone apps via AUM, or I assume Audiobus or Ape Matrix. Is it just that I can’t route two generators into the same app and maintain their complete independence?

Really just interested in learning more stuff, thanks.

• I have little interest in MPE but much interest in supporting good devs.

Please use my small contribution as you wish.

• I don’t currently have an MPE device, (though I do like the blocks) but I was blown away by the capability of the free Spectrum IPad bundle for my, um, ‘experimental’ Synth noodling, and just wanted to show support to a great dev for his generosity in offering the bundle free, so just donated.

• @xor yes, it is technically possible to have multiple virtual MIDI connections between two apps. But most apps have had their plumbing laid before MPE and thus require some or even major re-engineering for that to work, and for synths without MPE, the channel nibble would then be "dead bits".

It really is still completely baffling to me how anybody could have made this an OFFICIAL STANDARD.

There would have been so many better ways to do this. Just off the top of my head:

• Just introduce a second PolyPressure message
    • Use an unused CC (I think #2 is officially "reserved") to "set" the pitch that the NEXT CC message is supposed to affect
    • etc...

Really strange.

• I have no interest in MPE, I know it’s been around for a while now but don’t like the idea of hijacking all of the midi channels for one sound. While using MPE can you send on different midi channels to multitimbral devices?

• @SevenSystems Really, you’d only have to figure a way to record ROLIs and your own interfaces. Btw, as far as a third-party AU interface, Velocity Keyboard is the reigning champ.

@burns_audio thank you for your excellent work. I will support this project. Please test with Velocity Keyboard as well!

• @audiobussy said:
    @SevenSystems Really, you’d only have to figure a way to record ROLIs and your own interfaces. Btw, as far as a third-party AU interface, Velocity Keyboard is the reigning champ.

@burns_audio thank you for your excellent work. I will support this project. Please test with Velocity Keyboard as well!

Velocity Keyboard is my new fav midi controller. Use it on my iPad Pro to control Logic and on an iPad mini to control my iPad Pro. Excellent app. Just missing chord functions. For that I use Kb-1.