Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tonality - Music Reference by Bryce Hostetler - Updated with Midi and Auv3 support

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1467552236

MIDI and AUv3 support!

• You can now open Tonality as a MIDI Audio Unit within a host app like AUM. Route MIDI messages from a keyboard or another app and Tonality will display the names of the chords you send to it.

—————————————————————————————————————————————

The ultimate music theory reference tool for musicians of all skill levels. Tonality allows you to view and listen to a large database of piano chords and scales and features a chord-recognition tool that can identify chords you play on your instrument. You can also run Tonality as an AUv3 and view chords that match MIDI input you route to it.

CHORDS:

• Over 1,000 chords and the ability to create custom chords
  • Search for chords by root, quality, extension, or any combination of these
  • Reverse search for chords containing certain notes
  • Sort chords by key, number of pitches, key span, and more
  • View different inversions and omittable notes
  • View chord scale degrees and note names
  • View a table of related scales
  • View chords on a piano and in the staff (treble or bass clef)
  • Chord identification - record a chord through your device's microphone and Tonality will transcribe and identify it

SCALES:

• Commonly used scales and fingerings and ability to create custom scales
  • Search for scales by root and name
  • Reverse search for scales containing certain notes
  • Sort scales alphabetically, by key, by number of pitches, and more
  • View scale degrees and note names
  • View ascending and descending versions
  • View scales on a piano and in the staff (treble or bass clef)
  • Add custom fingerings

CIRCLE OF FIFTHS:

• Interactive circle of fifths: view key signatures and scales for major and minor keys
  • Jump to relative or parallel keys

CUSTOMIZATION:
In addition to adding your own custom chords, scales, and fingerings, you can:

• Change the color scheme
  • Choose the playback instrument (piano, electric piano, organ, strings, or guitar)
  • Choose whether to show all keys (including theoretical ones) or only commonly used keys
  • Show only basic chords and scales (great for beginning musicians)
  • Choose note naming (English or Solfège)

MIDI AUv3:

• Open Tonality as an Audio Unit MIDI processor and view the names of the chords you play in real time

Comments

• Any good? I could do with a piano chord app.

• No midi output? That seems weird...

• ;) midi out, and I'm interested

• edited June 2019

AUv3 and still does only chord detection and looks half-baked. How hard would it be to be able to assign chords to pads/buttons, edit them (add/remove bass notes, etc) and trigger them by tapping on these buttons. Cubasis has 10 buttons above the keyboard and we can assign any chords to them.

How does this compare to Chord app?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/chord/id606691230

• Hello,

Developer of Tonality here. Thank you all for your interest!

With regards to the lack of MIDI output/“half-baked” nature of the AUv3: Tonality – Music Reference is exactly that: a reference app designed for those looking to learn a bit about music theory or know the names of the chords they use while composing. As such, the AUv3 currently only supports chord recognition. Cubasis is a DAW, which is a completely different beast. However, that could change. Feel free to send me your suggestions and I’ll see what I can do in future updates.

As far as the Chord app – it is also very good, but does not support MIDI at all (for similar reasons I’d imagine). It is also primarily focused on stringed instruments rather than piano.

• edited July 2019

@TonalityApp said:
    Hello,

With regards to the lack of MIDI output/“half-baked” nature of the AUv3: Tonality – Music Reference is exactly that: a reference app designed for those looking to learn a bit about music theory or know the names of the chords they use while composing. As such, the AUv3 currently only supports chord recognition. Cubasis is a DAW, which is a completely different beast. However, that could change. Feel free to send me your suggestions and I’ll see what I can do in future updates.

As far as the Chord app – it is also very good, but does not support MIDI at all (for similar reasons I’d imagine). It is also primarily focused on stringed instruments rather than piano.

Thanks for creating this app! I’m happy it exists 🙏🌈
    The GUI window scales down nice so i can keep a very small window open and still see three chord variations.

• @TonalityApp said:
    Hello,

Another vote for midi out and midi export
    This app in its current state would be good for learning music theory and chord recognition
    To use it to create progressions would be stellar in my opinion.....seems like a great tool..

• @oldschoolwillie said:

@TonalityApp said:
    Hello,

This app in its current state would be good for learning music theory and chord recognition
    To use it to create progressions would be stellar in my opinion.....seems like a great tool..

+one

• @Jocphone said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

@TonalityApp said:
    Hello,

+one

+Two, I mean three.

• @nondes said:

@Jocphone said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

@TonalityApp said:
    Hello,

+one

+Two, I mean three.

That's the functionality I was hoping for when I bought it TBH.

• I’ll add MIDI out as soon as possible then. I don’t actually have access to a computer at the moment but when I do I’ll make that my first priority.

• @TonalityApp said:
    I’ll add MIDI out as soon as possible then. I don’t actually have access to a computer at the moment but when I do I’ll make that my first priority.

Thank you could you consider adding midi export too....I would definitely buy it.
    I might buy it anyway just becsue you added Midi out .....sir you rock!

• @TonalityApp said:
    I’ll add MIDI out as soon as possible then. I don’t actually have access to a computer at the moment but when I do I’ll make that my first priority.

Thanks. Will make the app much more useful.

• Is it possible chaining chords for playing chord progressions? (And save them).

Thanks.

• maybe this app is more suitable for some peoples needs ?

https://apps.apple.com/app/suggester-chord-progression/id504740787

I see Tonality as a more specific chord/scale recognition app.

• I’ll keep all of these in mind. Also I haven’t added midi out yet oldschoolwillie

• edited July 2019

@fjcblanco said:
    Is it possible chaining chords for playing chord progressions? (And save them).

Thanks.

Not at the moment but I’m working on it

• edited July 2019

MIDI out is coming along! It should be out in the next week or two

• so when you press on the + you get a drop down of all the chords?

• You get a full chord searcher, and after a page to edit the voicing/velocity of each note

• Awesome! So can you also use the external keyboard to input the chord in is mode?

• Looks great, learn + play = win.

• Awesome !!
    This will be a great writing tool - ESPECIALLY with note velocities for chord voicings - makes this a winner :#
    Off to do some shopping.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    Awesome! So can you also use the external keyboard to input the chord in is mode?

Not yet but I’m working on it

• This works great for identifying chords in AUM but causes Cubasis to crash, anyone else got this working?

• @TonalityApp said:

You get a full chord searcher, and after a page to edit the voicing/velocity of each note

Now that looks more like the app I think people really want... please make those little sub-keyboards send individual midi out as well note by note...

• edited July 2019

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@TonalityApp said:

You get a full chord searcher, and after a page to edit the voicing/velocity of each note

Now that looks more like the app I think people really want... please make those little sub-keyboards send individual midi out as well note by note...

What do you mean exactly by sub-keyboards?

• So right now, the chord ID function is only available through the mic input?

• @royor said:
    So right now, the chord ID function is only available through the mic input?

Also if you play a chord via midi.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@royor said:
    So right now, the chord ID function is only available through the mic input?

Also if you play a chord via midi.

Ah, OK.. could be useful for my cat-walking-on-the-piano compositions.. 😂