Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi guitar 2 is a bad app or what i should change in the configuration?

Well i’m trying to record all the notes that i play in midi format, i was thinking in use logic to convert audio to midi, but in order to get a more fast and confortable response i decided to try an ios app i thought that the best app was guitar midi. And maybe it is but.... for now is not working for me...

In the pictures you will see the notes that guitar midi record, and they are not the notes i played
I mean the program record the notes that i wanted but a lot more of notes that i didn’t play too.
All the short (this ones that don’t during almost nothing) are incorrect.
So almost the majority of notes are wrong

Comments

• Have you adjusted its sensitivity settings? Are you playing cleanly?

I find that it is quite accurate when you have adjusted the sensitivity to your playing. One does need to
    play pretty cleanly.

• Yes, the sensitivity setting is very responsive and effective.

• @lukesleepwalker @espiegel123 could you post a screenshot with your sensitivity settings? Just to confirm that i have my configuration right

• @trrracker said:
    @lukesleepwalker @espiegel123 could you post a screenshot with your sensitivity settings? Just to confirm that i have my configuration right

Since the right settings are entirely dependent on your playing style, guitar's output, and the audio interface, someone else's setting probably won't help. I use two different electric guitars with it and I have to re-adjust when I switch guitars because the output levels from each are different.

Have you spent time tweaking them? My process was to start out with it so insensitive that it missed a lot of notes and then turned it up gradually until it picked up my intentional notes.

Note that if you play with a lot of legato (hammers and pulls), you need to make sure that they are strong and clean. If you play with a pick, you need to make sure that your picking and left-hand are well-coordinate (especially if you have tall frets).

• Note that it hates low output single coil pickups. Using my mic'd acoustic the tracking is absolutely perfect.

Apparently a cheap piezo works very well on a strat.

• @trrracker: you might consider changing the topic title to something more about your needing advice for MG2 rather than something that comes across as condemning an app that works quite well for most people.

• Start with the quick start

Now, mg2 isn’t magic; and it’s just as good as my gk hardware for tracking....but if you are expecting something perfect with no editing required ever; you’re gonna be disappointed with any pitch to midi system.

• You need to be very aware of every little bump + scrape that may come from either hand.. unintentional “extra” sounds will more than likely end up as “extra” notes.. letting strings ring out will trigger unwanted notes.. you will slowly learn what you are able to get away with.. it may actually help clean up your playing technique.. at least while using MG2.. :)
    As mentioned above, there are a few things you will need to tweak for your personal style of playing and instrument used.. it will be different for everyone.. you just have to get in there and adjust “stuff”. The velocity, tracking + articulation sections are the ones you need to focus on.
    Try this page for more detailed info:
    https://www.jamorigin.com/docs/midi-guitar-for-ios/

• @espiegel123 said:
    @trrracker: you might consider changing the topic title to something more about your needing advice for MG2 rather than something that comes across as condemning an app that works quite well for most people.

+1

• edited July 2019

@royor said:
    You need to be very aware of every little bump + scrape that may come from either hand.. unintentional “extra” sounds will more than likely end up as “extra” notes.. letting strings ring out will trigger unwanted notes.. you will slowly learn what you are able to get away with.. it may actually help clean up your playing technique.. at least while using MG2.. :)
    As mentioned above, there are a few things you will need to tweak for your personal style of playing and instrument used.. it will be different for everyone.. you just have to get in there and adjust “stuff”. The velocity, tracking + articulation sections are the ones you need to focus on.
    https://www.jamorigin.com/docs/midi-guitar-for-ios/

With the right guitar you don't have to play a certain way so much. Yes still clean but it's a lot more forgiving on say a Steinberger or with a piezo pickup:

• @BroCoast said:
    Note that it hates low output single coil pickups. Using my mic'd acoustic the tracking is absolutely perfect.

@BroCoast said:
    Note that it hates low output single coil pickups. Using my mic'd acoustic the tracking is absolutely perfect.

I’m using a variax jtv and zoom live track l12 as audio interface, i could try with a akg condenser micro instead to connect directly to line input in zoom interface

• edited July 2019

@glynn_pelton said:
    Start with the quick start

Now, mg2 isn’t magic; and it’s just as good as my gk hardware for tracking....but if you are expecting something perfect with no editing required ever; you’re gonna be disappointed with any pitch to midi system.

Thanks for the video, i saw it before and a few others in their channel but at least and 2 guitarist (one with years of experience to verify that i’m not the problem) that i ask for try the app from my ipad today, never record with the precision that show in the keyboard, its right that when i play the guitar in the app, it shows more like the video, i mean with no add notes, but when i record in garageband then start to appear a lot of wrong notes. I tried in cubasis with similar results

And answering to your question i’m not expect a perfect result with no edit required but... if i need to delete more than the note that i played, in that case is more easy write directly in midi...

• @trrracker said:

@BroCoast said:

@BroCoast said:

I’m using a variax jtv and zoom live track l12 as audio interface, i could try with a akg condenser micro instead to connect directly to line input in zoom interface

Have you spent time adjusting the sensitivity controls in MG? You haven't mentioned that.

Is a fair amount of level getting to MIDI Guitar?

Record the clean signal that is reaching MIDI Guitar and listen to it to make sure that a fair amount of level is reaching MIDI Guitar.

If you spend time adjusting and still don't get satisfactory results, I'd recommend posting an example that captures both the clean guitar signal and the MIDI-ed output. Not sure if you can do that in Garage Band, but you could do that in AUM easily enough.

And really: change the topic title.

• edited July 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@trrracker said:
    @lukesleepwalker @espiegel123 could you post a screenshot with your sensitivity settings? Just to confirm that i have my configuration right

Since the right settings are entirely dependent on your playing style, guitar's output, and the audio interface, someone else's setting probably won't help. I use two different electric guitars with it and I have to re-adjust when I switch guitars because the output levels from each are different.

Have you spent time tweaking them? My process was to start out with it so insensitive that it missed a lot of notes and then turned it up gradually until it picked up my intentional notes.

Note that if you play with a lot of legato (hammers and pulls), you need to make sure that they are strong and clean. If you play with a pick, you need to make sure that your picking and left-hand are well-coordinate (especially if you have tall frets).

@espiegel123 said:
    @trrracker: you might consider changing the topic title to something more about your needing advice for MG2 rather than something that comes across as condemning an app that works quite well for most people.

Well answering all together, first thanks for share your process. The only thing that i find that solve the problem is noise gate but only if i reach the point where the app doesn’t recognize some notes only. But if i want that the app recognize all the notes, then started to recognize someones wrong i can’t find a point where just recognize the right notes.
    And talking about condemning the app, excuse me but i don’t think that my title does that... i’m asking, i could ask if any app is bad and does not mean that them are.... but using the default configuration at least for me, doesn’t work, and i don’t have the information to know if the app work well with most people or how money.
    But i find the perfect configuration for me, obviously i will add solved in the tilte and share the config...

• @royor said:
    You need to be very aware of every little bump + scrape that may come from either hand.. unintentional “extra” sounds will more than likely end up as “extra” notes.. letting strings ring out will trigger unwanted notes.. you will slowly learn what you are able to get away with.. it may actually help clean up your playing technique.. at least while using MG2.. :)
    https://www.jamorigin.com/docs/midi-guitar-for-

Thanks for the link, i read it yesteday but i will read again this weekend keep attention to the parameters that you mention to me and trying to modify them again. As i mention the only parameter that i found helpful until now is noise gate

• @trrracker said:

@espiegel123 said:

@trrracker said:

@espiegel123 said:

Well answering all together, first thanks for share your process. The only thing that i find that solve the problem is noise gate but only if i reach the point where the app doesn’t recognize some notes only. But if i want that the app recognize all the notes, then started to recognize someones wrong i can’t find a point where just recognize the right notes.
    And talking about condemning the app, excuse me but i don’t think that my title does that... i’m asking, i could ask if any app is bad and does not mean that them are.... but using the default configuration at least for me, doesn’t work, and i don’t have the information to know if the app work well with most people or how money.
    But i find the perfect configuration for me, obviously i will add solved in the tilte and share the config...

Whether Midi Guitar is a bad app is independent of whether you find settings that work for you.

• edited July 2019

I have found no better app than MG2, and I can assure you that there’s no universal setting that works for everyone, but here is a pic of my settings

• @glynn_pelton said:
    Start with the quick start

I never managed to tune any of the quite many audio-midi app on ios or osx to track as well as my old gk modded guitar. Especially with polyphony none of the apps got even close :/

• @ToMess said:

@glynn_pelton said:
    Snip<<

I never managed to tune any of the quite many audio-midi app on ios or osx to track as well as my old gk modded guitar. Especially with polyphony none of the apps got even close :/

That’s a damn shame! This is the only one that works as well as the hardware(for me), and that wasn’t until 2.5.I have a godin with a built in gk, got tired of the tape on gk pickups.The one thing that the 13 pin stuff can do easier for me is different sounds on different strings. Can get close with range splits, but it’s not the same. I was happy running just mg2, but running stuff in front of it can improve things even more, especially if you want to use different guitars. For example, I run a high pass before the midi conversation when using my seven string, a bit of compression and a extra gate for the Tele single coils etc.

I still kinda want a fishman setup to tryout, cause gas lol

• It would help uploading the audio (not midi) from the guitar here or even send it to the devs :)

• edited July 2019

@glynn_pelton said:

@ToMess said:

@glynn_pelton said:
    Snip<<

That’s a damn shame! This is the only one that works as well as the hardware(for me), and that wasn’t until 2.5.I have a godin with a built in gk, got tired of the tape on gk pickups.The one thing that the 13 pin stuff can do easier for me is different sounds on different strings. Can get close with range splits, but it’s not the same. I was happy running just mg2, but running stuff in front of it can improve things even more, especially if you want to use different guitars. For example, I run a high pass before the midi conversation when using my seven string, a bit of compression and a extra gate for the Tele single coils etc.

I still kinda want a fishman setup to tryout, cause gas lol

Maybe i should try again with some of these. Also it helped a bit that when i had my guitar modded with gk, i used 08 strings and tuned it up to A for better tracking and would transpose as needed. Also since i like playing wound strings more than unwound, i was considering on putting all D strings on it, all tuned to D, with each transposed accordingly :D But instead decided to sell it to fund eurocrack since im not that much into playing guitar anymore. Some sort of plastic guitar like midi controller would be nice tho, or midi pickup for bass

Sadly my only guitar at the moment has single coils, but ill try with some added gain and filters if it helps. Maybe some really hard eq where only the chromatic notes are being boosted with sharp peaks and what doesent fall to chromatic scale lowered in gain as much as possible and fundamentals of notes outside of the range you want to play being minimized?

• Sorry for not reading through this, I just wanted to say I use the alesis dock and its better midi than the roland gk-3 things by far. I am serious, its the best tracking thing by far unless you get the fishman pickups. You really gotta mess with the input settings and compressor and all that, but then just save it and your ace. There are presets for bass that I found worked on guitar better with my settings fyi. Cheers hope you get it recording proper mate!

• Dude if you can dig a mesh type fretboard and like to tap the silly YouRock guitars are actually amazing. I use it all the time and its meant as a childs toy for video games but has MIDI?! HA amazing. and cheap as hell. mine is 2 years old and ripping like methany although I'm not doing the trumpet solos haha jk.

• On iOS 14.3 I got issues.
    Guitar to midi stops working.
    It didn’t work on Auv3 and then it stoped on stand alone until I restart iPad.
    This is very annoying 😫

• abfabf
    edited August 2021

iOS 14.7. Yesterday I was having a great time using MDI Guitar 2 to trigger Korg Module. Today, using the exact same set-up (guitar> Zoom U-24 Hi-Z> camera connection kit> MIDI Guitar 2 either standalone or in AUM) I get no sound. Nothing triggers.

I checked the mic access settings, tried another Apple camera connector, rebooted, uninstalled/reinstalled, still no luck. Other apps are connecting to the Zoom just fine. The MIDI Guitar 2 Auv3 is not working at all.

Edit: I got it working occasionally, at least I have audio now. When it stops working suddenly (loaded into AUM) I get a loud buzzing in my headphones. I hope upcoming version 3 will be solid.