Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Question for iOS 13 beta users re external drives

I’m wondering if any beta testers can comment on whether 13 will allow me to drag-and-drop image files from an SD card directly to an external SSD (such as Samsung T5) without having to first do an intermediary step of storing them on the iPad?

Here’s what I have: 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 256GB with the Nucleum hub (which allows me to plug in both the external drive and also has an SD card slot).

I’m headed to Italy later on this year and I want to be able to back up my camera files so I don’t have to rely solely on the SD cards.

Comments

• @sch said:
    I’m wondering if any beta testers can comment on whether 13 will allow me to drag-and-drop image files from an SD card directly to an external SSD (such as Samsung T5) without having to first do an intermediary step of storing them on the iPad?

Yes you can.

• Woohoo! Thanks mate!

• @sch said:
    Woohoo! Thanks mate!

👍

• Hi @mistercharlie :smile:

Can you also drag and drop Cubasis and other music project files between an iPad folder and say a T5 so you can use the T5 for offline storage/archiving and drag into the Cubasis folder for it to be available in the Project list inside Cubasis? Can you do the same for wav, mp3 and midi files (and see them in the media bay of Cubasis)?

• Afaik there is no direct app access to external storage - you have to use the Files app for transfer. It (the intermediate state) was a complaint in a review, but I didn't dig deeper into the case.

• Personally I will from now on stay away from anything from Sandisk.

My 128GB Ultra Fit 3.1 that I used to store my Logic Sound Library and other samples just died on me without any kind warning when I booted up my computer after 1 1/2 weeks of vacation. Prior to that it had been working without flaws...

I'm not 100% sure what caused this but when I started the latest update to Logic Pro X it wasn't able to find the sound libraries and the drive had vanished (it was present prior to the LPX update, so what actually caused the 'death' is not known).

• @Telefunky said:
    Afaik there is no direct app access to external storage - you have to use the Files app for transfer. It (the intermediate state) was a complaint in a review, but I didn't dig deeper into the case.

It depends on whether the app supports the file manager. If it does, you should be able to select external drives directly, as well as other cloud solutions like DropBox or Google Drive as long as they are installed. If your app does not use the standard file manager (looking at you Korg Gadget :angry: ) you are limited to whatever access the developers give you.

However, note that for iPads with lightning connectors, you need external power to the drive (even for most thumb drives and for the T5), so a powered USB hub or similar, as they do not provide enough power unlike the new Pro's with USB-C

• Matter of fact is that external drives are supported by upcoming versions of IOS/iPad.
    But atm no app can directly move data from a storage device into it's own project area.

You have to drag from external storage to the Files app first and then repeat the same step with your DAW, sampler or whatever.
    It's the same as using Audioshare as an intermediate file manager, except possibly cleanup actions automatically done by Apple.

• @Telefunky said:
    Matter of fact is that external drives are supported by upcoming versions of IOS/iPad.
    But atm no app can directly move data from a storage device into it's own project area.

You have to drag from external storage to the Files app first and then repeat the same step with your DAW, sampler or whatever.
    It's the same as using Audioshare as an intermediate file manager, except possibly cleanup actions automatically done by Apple.

Sure, but this topic is about iOS 13 😉

• edited July 2019

I like the new drive support but am currently having a mixed experience with it on my Air 2 on the beta. I'm sure the new ipads aren't having this problem though.

I need to use a powered hub and it doesn't currently work with the powered usb 3 adapter. New beta installed yesterday hasn't fixed it (although initially it worked, trying again and there's not enough power to the drive).

Also my sd card reader doesn't work yet, but it's fine on iOS 12 on my pro. working now :)

• @Peter321 isn't IOS13 an upcoming version ? ;)
    (sorry about the typo above, iPad OS was meant instead of just iPad, can't edit posts)

The 'double step' complaint I referred to was in a review of iPad OS beta which is the latest thing atm. Apple may provide access routines to external devices in future releases, but that's plain speculation and very unlikely to be included in the 1st official release.

I never missed the Files app (running IOS 9) because I can do essentially the same with a NAS that mimics iCloud.

• Allow me one really specific question. I want to buy a ditto x4 looper which can store in an internal drive the loops created. Does by accident has anyone an iOS 13 beta device and a ditto? :-)
    Would be cool if the iPad could import loops without an additional step (MacBook)

• The one annoying thing so far with external drive support is that whilst it's available in the Files app, it's currently not showing up in the document picker, so looks like the code has to be updated somehow for those apps which use the document browser. That's frustrating, not sure why that's the case.