Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Awesome Loop Deck Setup

Comments

• @echoopera said:
    @espiegel123 had fun tonight with my looping wall of sound and effects...fun to get a little lost in it all:

Thanks again...this thread opened up a new workflow for me. 👊🏼™️

Lovely!

• Hi @espiegel123 !

I'm not sure I get everything: what is this "Velocity KB" app you're using?

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Would love to see a video of how to set all this up and then show how to loop, coming from a linear timeline background!

I am working on a video that walks through the setup. In the meantime, are the screenshots up-thread showing the setup any help in understanding how to set it up. If you can tell me what isn't clear in them, I can make sure it is addressed.

What about loop recording would be helpful for you to see? The video shows a short actual session.

Exactly what you need to do depends on whether you have a known starting tempo. In the video, the first loop's length sets the tempo. Subsequent loops are multiples of that length. You tap the loop multiple to set the length before recording a new loop if you want to record a different length . When you do it that way, tapping record arms the track for recording and recording starts when the next loop starts.

There are lots of possibilities as Loopy's behavior is customizable.

You will find a link upthread to a wiki page with more information about this type of setup and videos.

There are also AB presets to get you started upthread.

• @ttk said:
    Hi @espiegel123 !

I'm not sure I get everything: what is this "Velocity KB" app you're using?

Velocity keyboard is a velocity sensitive highly-configurable on-screen keyboard AU from Blue Mangoo software. I wasn't using velocity in this setup but I like its layout.

• Scratch that request I made 👆 something with iPados and Safari wouldn’t let me download the preset, but it worked on phone.

• How do you install these files?

@espiegel123 said:
    I recommend launching Loopy and turning off input monitoring in settings before launching these. You only need to do that once unless you turn monitoring back on.

Note that the Loopy bus sends were set up as post fader (meaning that the source channel’s fader influences the send volume). You can set them to be pre-fader if you prefer.

I have uploaded two versions. One for Loopy non-hd and one for Loopy HD

• @Tones4Christ said:
    How do you install these files?

@espiegel123 said:
    I recommend launching Loopy and turning off input monitoring in settings before launching these. You only need to do that once unless you turn monitoring back on.

Note that the Loopy bus sends were set up as post fader (meaning that the source channel’s fader influences the send volume). You can set them to be pre-fader if you prefer.

I have uploaded two versions. One for Loopy non-hd and one for Loopy HD

Download, unzip, the unzipped file is an Audiobus preset. Tapping it will load the Audiobus preset.

• @echoopera said:
    @espiegel123 all right cool. I think i figured it out. Thanks for the setup explanation. Here’s what i put together and it seems to work. Sweet...thanks for starting this thread 👊🏼™️
    http://preset.audiob.us/YYTYYkM1tW84gSk

OT: how were you able to share the preset via http link. I just realized that I am no longer able to do that...perhaps a bug in the AB3 beta? Or some configuration option I am not finding?

• I’m also on the beta and the link worked.

@espiegel123 said:

@echoopera said:
    @espiegel123 all right cool. I think i figured it out. Thanks for the setup explanation. Here’s what i put together and it seems to work. Sweet...thanks for starting this thread 👊🏼™️

OT: how were you able to share the preset via http link. I just realized that I am no longer able to do that...perhaps a bug in the AB3 beta? Or some configuration option I am not finding?

• @Tones4Christ said:
    I’m also on the beta and the link worked.

@espiegel123 said:

@echoopera said:

The problem I am having is not loading from a link but sharing a link. When I choose Share in Audiobus, none of the options are sharing an http link. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Are you able to share a link from the beta?

• I’m not on the beta. Just using the normal Share and Upload flow in AB3.

• edited July 2019

Yep, tap share. Select the “Upload” icon. It just disappears and you think its done nothing. But tap share again and “copy” and the preset.audiob.us link will be copied. Paste into browser or here in a post. 👍🏼 👏🏼

• @Hmtx said:
    Yep, tap share. Select the “Upload” icon. It just disappears and you think its done nothing. But tap share again and “copy” and the preset.audiob.us link will be copied. Paste into browser or here in a post. 👍🏼 👏🏼

Thx. I guess I forgot how it was done...or maybe just haven’t done it since the new options were added.

• Video walk-through of how to make the Audiobus and AUM setups. For those unsure of how to get this set up, let me know if this helps you:

There will be another video walking through how to use the setup for anyone unsure about what was happening in the quick demo.

@MeatWalrus , @JohnnyGoodyear , @Pierre118 , @thepinkelefant

• @espiegel123 said:
    Video walk-through of how to make the Audiobus and AUM setups. For those unsure of how to get this set up, let me know if this helps you:

There will be another video walking through how to use the setup for anyone unsure about what was happening in the quick demo.

@MeatWalrus , @JohnnyGoodyear , @Pierre118 ,

Nice work sir. Thanks for sharing. 👊🏼™️

• @espiegel123 Appreciate your kind effort.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @espiegel123 Appreciate your kind effort.

My pleasure. Is it clear from the video how to make the setups?

• @espiegel123 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@espiegel123 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Thanks!

• @espiegel123 Thank you so much, you made my iPad (music)life a lot easier.

• @Pierre118 said:
    @espiegel123 Thank you so much, you made my iPad (music)life a lot easier.

I am so glad to hear it.

• @espiegel123 Thanks for the video, got it working great now. Just one quick question what’s the best way to add effects to loops once laid down in Loopy any ideas ?

Obviously it’s easier to add the effect prior but would like to have the option post if possible.

• edited July 2019

@Jumpercollins said:
    @espiegel123 Thanks for the video, got it working great now. Just one quick question what’s the best way to add effects to loops once laid down in Loopy any ideas ?

Obviously it’s easier to add the effect prior but would like to have the option post if possible.

Honestly i think it’s a two step process. Get your loops into Loopy, then save the session.
    Close Audiobus and AUM and then open a new AUM or AB session and assign each audio channel from LoopyHD and assign your respective FX to each channel. It’s great that LoopyHD offers 12 AudioOut channels to effect.

See my previous photo

• Nice work. Maybe worth a repeat mention here: Loopy has fantastic remote MIDI control options.

• @syrupcore said:
    Nice work. Maybe worth a repeat mention here: Loopy has fantastic remote MIDI control options.

It sure does. I give a shout out to that in the video about the setup. I use Mozaic and Streambyter to write scripts for things that are handy. Almost every one of Loopy's many many options is reachable via MIDI. On my to-do list is a control pad to program song sections a la Group the Loop.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @espiegel123 Thanks for the video, got it working great now. Just one quick question what’s the best way to add effects to loops once laid down in Loopy any ideas ?

For me, it depends on the situation. I sometimes have a bus that has a reverb on its own bus. I might have a mic input with send A going to loopy and send B going to the reverb bus. That lets me hear reverb on my voice but sends the dry signal to Loopy.

Then on the loopy return, I have a send to the bus with the reverb.

Here is a video showing such a setup that has two reverb sends with some loopy returns going to one and some to the other.

PLEASE excuse the horrible out-of-tune voice. This was just a proof-of-concept that I am posting so that you can see the setup.

At the end, you can also see a Mozaic patch for muting and unmuting the loops.

• Here screenshots of the AUM setup

• edited July 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@Jumpercollins said:

For me, it depends on the situation. I sometimes have a bus that has a reverb on its own bus. I might have a mic input with send A going to loopy and send B going to the reverb bus. That lets me hear reverb on my voice but sends the dry signal to Loopy.

Here is a video showing such a setup that has two reverb sends with some loopy returns going to one and some to the other.

PLEASE excuse the horrible out-of-tune voice. This was just a proof-of-concept that I am posting so that you can see the setup.

@espiegel123 Again many thanks for sharing your knowledge you are the King of Loopers !

The Mozaic patch by the way is it a private one you made or is it available on patch storage? Would love a copy of it.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@espiegel123 Again many thanks for sharing your knowledge you are the King of Loopers !

The Mozaic patch by the way is it a private one you made or is it available on patch storage? Would love a copy of it.

The Mozaic patch hasn't been shared yet (it is still in development). I can post the code here later today or tomorrow that you can paste into Mozaic.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Jumpercollins said:

The Mozaic patch hasn't been shared yet (it is still in development). I can post the code here later today or tomorrow that you can paste into Mozaic.

@espiegel123 Loving this setup! Ironically, Loopy was one of the very first ios apps I purchased way back when, but never really used it much until now (I think I got distracted by Samplr.) Would love to check out that Mozaic patch