Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUXY 6.0

I don’t have Auxy- but I was thinking of getting it due to the seemingly vast amount of preset type sounds it has to offer.
As I was looking I noticed that version 6 has just been released- which seems to have beefed it up considerably as an option.
Here is the details from the news page:-

‘We’re excited to share this major update that will take your instruments to the next level!

What’s New:

Lots of new options for tweaking sounds and effects
All sounds can now have distortion, chorus and EQ
All drum kits can now have delay, distortion, compressor, EQ and ducker
Delay amount can now be set individually for each sample
Notes and automation can now be moved freely when editing
Sounds and samples can now be browsed by category
Samples can now be imported straight from other apps
We have fixed a number of bugs and issues
Updating Sounds in Existing Projects

Your existing projects will use the same sounds as before and you will have an option to update each sound and unlock the new options via the tweak panel. Note that there’s no need to update sounds unless you want to continue working on a project with the new sound options. If you’re happy with a project, you risk messing up your mix when updating a sound since the new version will behave differently. It’s better to create a new project and start exploring the new versions’.

As many are aware- it is a subscription model it’s £4.49 per month which can be cancelled at any time- and for that they offer 7700 instruments and samples with more added monthly and an easy to use award winning pattern sequencer with automation to arrange them in. Sample import but no live recording- but it does have Ableton Link

Im not even sure why I haven’t got it yet- but I think I am about to commit to the free trial 😼
It doesn’t seem to come up much here these days- I know quite a few people look at the subscription aspect unfavourably though and that seems to be a bit of a bugbear.

Anyway what I was wondering was- Forgetting the Subscription aspect- any opinions on the functionallity and usefulness of the app itself? A lot of the user reviews indicate that it has made a massive difference to their musical creativity.
Any thoughts?

Comments

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sounds like pretty standard stuff that most daws have.

• I am off and on the sub since it went subscription. I would say I've been more productive with it than anything else in the last two years, but it super depends on what you write and how you work. For people who work solely on an iPad, there's way better, cheaper options out there. For people who use phone only, it's a decent piece of kit. This of course is my subjective opinion as well.

I think the built in sample library and monthly additions are decent for the asking price. I'm not currently subscribing, but I think the value to price ratio isn't bad. I think as far as x0x style groove box apps go, it might be one of the best available. There's still a few things I'd REALLY like to see it do. It's a total midi island, no in or out. There's no playing surface or recording so everything is manual input on a grid. The breadth of sounds aren't too bad. It's pretty hard to make something that sounds like crap (though with these new options I am fully anticipating people pushing the sounds into overdrive and messing up their mix, TBD).

I look at the subscription as a sample licensing fee, and that sample library increases every month. I'm at the point now where I don't even download all the sounds locally because there's just too many - pick the ones I know I'll use and if I'm poking around I'll grab more as needed.

Not sure how much this helps you or anyone else decide. TL;DR it's possibly one of the best groove box style apps I've used, it's hella fast, but the cost - feature ratio just might not do it for you. It's probably worth a spin on the free trial though.

• .> @BiancaNeve said:

Sounds like pretty standard stuff that most daws have.

Yes I think that’s true if you you are referring to the features- but 7700 instruments and samples growing every month? Is there a daw to anywhere near match that? It was really this that caught my eye.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Auxy is pretty good and I was churning out a lot of ideas. The big reason I don’t use it anymore is that every export I make has a silence tail at the end and there doesn’t seem to be anyway to adjust that. It wouldn’t be a problem otherwise but I make a lot of loops and also im a bit lazy

• The last time I looked at this it was stuck, like so many other iOS apps, in the usual 4/4 time grid which tells me it’s not a serious music app and more a of a toy (with nice sounds!)..

• Showing my age, but this type of deal reminds me of the Britannia Music Club. Every month they would send you a new album and bill you for it. If you were very quick you could send it back but usually you ended up having to pay for it.

• edited July 2019

Auxy is clearly a top shelf music production app that gets a lot of unwarranted stick for having gone subscription. Quality shit though and I’ve had a lot of fun playing with it casually in the past. I don’t use it enough to warrant the subscription though (don’t make music on my phone).

• i still have it in my ipad and always updating whenever they have an update but never went for subscription, though i have all their iap when they weren't subscription yet. i only make music as a hobby, so i can't really be bothered with subscription. :D enjoying ns2 at the moment. ;)

• All my purchased sounds disappeared.

• edited July 2019

@johnfromberkeley said:
    All my purchased sounds disappeared.

This was reported on the Auxy forum.

Devs have indicated this was a bug, and will be fixed asap (some early user reports saying things have been restored).

• @blakkaz said:

@johnfromberkeley said:
    All my purchased sounds disappeared.

This was reported on the Auxy forum.

Devs have indicated this was a bug, and will be fixed asap (some early user reports saying things have been restored).

I think this is fixed -- I'm off sub currently and previous pack purchases restored ok, downloading them now

• edited July 2019

I absolutely love Auxy. I’m a subscriber. I don’t care about the 7 bucks or whatever because when I open it up I’m instantly productive in its workflow. I do wish it had an onscreen keyboard so I could just play most of the parts but it’s note editor is so good I don’t mind as much. You can export to Ableton Live both Midi and Audio which is works really well. This new update is really huge on what it opens up.

• It's just missing MIDI.... very sad omission

• Can you still use Auxy and not pay the subscription fee? (As nice as it is, I can't subscribe to the app.)

I bought a few packs a while ago, and I'm being asked to update my "Signature Pianos" sounds. No reason not to, right?

• edited July 2019

@robosardine said:
    .> @BiancaNeve said:

Yes I think that’s true if you you are referring to the features- but 7700 instruments and samples growing every month? Is there a daw to anywhere near match that? It was really this that caught my eye.

You can always get a solid DAW app instead and buy AU synths with thousands of instruments like SynthMaster One, SynthMaster Player, Poison-202, Kauldron, D1, Zeeon, Pure Synth, FM Tines and a lot of others and no need to keep paying subscription forever. This way, you get all the features and power of a DAW (including the missing Keyboard, MIDI, AU, etc in Auxy) and a powerful, flexible, extendable, predictable and open system.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Can you still use Auxy and not pay the subscription fee? (As nice as it is, I can't subscribe to the app.)

I bought a few packs a while ago, and I'm being asked to update my "Signature Pianos" sounds. No reason not to, right?

You can use it and you'll still have access to the packs you bought. You just won't be able to import sounds and you won't get any of the other newer melodic instrument packs or drum library items.

The updating of the sounds just allows you to use the new features. It's there in case you like how a specific sound... sounds.... in a track you've started already, you don't need to update it since some automations will be broken. For any new tracks they automatically just open up using the new sounds with the new editing options.

• @MobileMusic said:

@robosardine said:
    .> @BiancaNeve said:

You can always get a solid DAW instead and buy AU synths with thousands of instruments like SynthMaster One, SynthMaster Player, Poison-202, Kauldron, D1 and a lot of others. This way, you get all the features and power of a DAW (including the missing MIDI in Auxy) and a powerful, flexible, extendable, predictable and open system.

I see what yer sayin. I'm pickin up what yer throwin down...

BUT>>>!>!>!>

I personally don't want it in Auxy. For this specific app, i want it closed closed closed. If they just added a simple synth I'd be over the moon. Its because its closed that its so good. As soon as you add all AU, external MIDI, AB, etc...that's when it will go into the black hole known as all the other's and be too unwieldy to support. Every host has so..many..freaking..problems..with AU's/IAA's/ExtMidi that it would kill this app. I am immediately productive because I don't have to wade through all that other stuff. We have plenty of other hosts for that. This one is pure, fast, and predictable. I can work on music instantly from my phone to my ipad becasue its sync'd to the cloud and everything is included in the project. I don't have to worry about anything else.

I used to think it was just an _ auto house music maker_ (i don't know genre's, so be gentle) but after listening to all the different stuff people are doing with the sampling addition and all the different sound packs, it has definitely widened its path.

Its the one app I can just preset surf and go go go.

• @drez said:

@MobileMusic said:

@robosardine said:
    .> @BiancaNeve said:

You can always get a solid DAW instead and buy AU synths with thousands of instruments like SynthMaster One, SynthMaster Player, Poison-202, Kauldron, D1 and a lot of others. This way, you get all the features and power of a DAW (including the missing MIDI in Auxy) and a powerful, flexible, extendable, predictable and open system.

I see what yer sayin. I'm pickin up what yer throwin down...

AND>>>!>!>!>

I personally don't want it in Auxy. For this specific app, i want it closed closed closed. If they just added a simple synth I'd be over the moon. Its because its closed that its so good. As soon as you add all AU, external MIDI, AB, etc...that's when it will go into the black hole known as all the other's and be too unwieldy to support. Every host has so..many..freaking..problems..with AU's/IAA's/ExtMidi that it would kill this app. I am immediately productive because I don't have to wade through all that other stuff. We have plenty of other hosts for that. This one is pure, fast, and predictable. I can work on music instantly from my phone to my ipad becasue its sync'd to the cloud and everything is included in the project. I don't have to worry about anything else.

I used to think it was just an auto house music maker (i don't know genre's, so be gentle) but after listening to all the different stuff people are doing with the sampling addition and all the different sound packs, it has definitely widened its path.

Its the one app I can just preset surf and go go go.

• If live recording/touch keyboard isn’t in by Auxy 7.0 I’m done. You get one more version cycle from me Auxy devs. That being said, this is an incredible and huge update with many things folks have asked for for a long time

• I never got into Auxy because everything I made with it had the same kind of feel, and it wasn’t “my” feel. I don’t blame Auxy for that; it’s just the way I got along with it.

• @db909 said:
    If live recording/touch keyboard isn’t in by Auxy 7.0 I’m done. You get one more version cycle from me Auxy devs. That being said, this is an incredible and huge update with many things folks have asked for for a long time

I feel you on this one.....Auxy is also a great/terrible example of how irked some of us get when things are taken away from us. In an earlier incarnation you could change the volume of notes, but now the option seems to be just 'soft' or not UNLESS I'm missing something (please, please enlighten me if I am.....).

I DO love the ease and choices of exporting, very much appreciated, and is a great quick start/switch between phone-waiting--to-pick-the-kid-up and home later on the couch....

• edited July 2019

@db909 said:
    If live recording/touch keyboard isn’t in by Auxy 7.0 I’m done. You get one more version cycle from me Auxy devs. That being said, this is an incredible and huge update with many things folks have asked for for a long time

yep but they didn't say anything about subscription, they told me they were sooooooo fixated on getting music into the hands of the masses (that don't make music) but that they would a version including these things for peoples like the weebles...

subcription services will be the death of IOS

• @kobamoto said:

@db909 said:

yep but they didn't say anything about subscription, they told me they were sooooooo fixated on getting music into the hands of the masses (that don't make music) but that they would a version including these things for peoples like the weebles...

The free version is totally usable for newbs. They haven’t deviated from that statement. If the user becomes more advanced and wants to use added features they can, otherwise they are out zero dollars. Sounds reasonable to me.

• @icsleepers said:
    I am off and on the sub since it went subscription. I would say I've been more productive with it than anything else in the last two years, but it super depends on what you write and how you work. For people who work solely on an iPad, there's way better, cheaper options out there. For people who use phone only, it's a decent piece of kit. This of course is my subjective opinion as well.

I think the built in sample library and monthly additions are decent for the asking price. I'm not currently subscribing, but I think the value to price ratio isn't bad. I think as far as x0x style groove box apps go, it might be one of the best available. There's still a few things I'd REALLY like to see it do. It's a total midi island, no in or out. There's no playing surface or recording so everything is manual input on a grid. The breadth of sounds aren't too bad. It's pretty hard to make something that sounds like crap (though with these new options I am fully anticipating people pushing the sounds into overdrive and messing up their mix, TBD).

I look at the subscription as a sample licensing fee, and that sample library increases every month. I'm at the point now where I don't even download all the sounds locally because there's just too many - pick the ones I know I'll use and if I'm poking around I'll grab more as needed.

Not sure how much this helps you or anyone else decide. TL;DR it's possibly one of the best groove box style apps I've used, it's hella fast, but the cost - feature ratio just might not do it for you. It's probably worth a spin on the free trial though.

I get it use it and cancel till I do again

• @drez said:

@kobamoto said:

@db909 said:

The free version is totally usable for newbs. They haven’t deviated from that statement. If the user becomes more advanced and wants to use added features they can, otherwise they are out zero dollars. Sounds reasonable to me.

the most valuable commodity is Time, these guys are extremely talented devs, but they are equally talented in beating around the bush... they should have been the ableton live of iOS in competition with energy nxt long ago, but instead they wanted to play games and now that there is some light at the end of the tunnel everybody is starting to go the subscription route.... I think it sucks, imagine if the user base was so convoluted with the way they paid for apps...

• @RUST( i )K said:

Precisely.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Precisely.

Yeah same lol. Is what it is I guess

• @kobamoto said:

@drez said:

@kobamoto said:

@db909 said:

the most valuable commodity is Time, these guys are extremely talented devs, but they are equally talented in beating around the bush... they should have been the ableton live of iOS in competition with energy nxt long ago, but instead they wanted to play games and now that there is some light at the end of the tunnel everybody is starting to go the subscription route.... I think it sucks, imagine if the user base was so convoluted with the way they paid for apps...

I love the subscription route. These dev’s don’t make enough on a single app and abandon support for them all the time because they can’t make enough to keep versioning an app. There’s no residual income. Apple won’t allow you to charge for updates. It’s stupid. So if you want a dev to continually develop for an app, subscription is currently the best way IMO. It helps keep the developer engaged and the funding to further the vision. They are making a super solid app and tons of content for it. I have no problem handing them my money.

Besides, it’s not like everything isn’t going the subscription route. I’m not just talking iOS music apps. Cloud storage, tv, games, on and on. Just look in the App Store. Subscriptions are everywhere. People are getting used to it overall so it’s not something new for end users...it’s become the norm.