Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Does anyone manage to save the state of Auria Pro when they save an AB3 project or is it just me?

TLDR summary ....

Maybe its me and I need to do a reinstall.

Long explanation ...

Im trying to get back into using Auria Pro. I especially want to use AP's lovely sliders like the Dub Reggae producers do, pushing up a slider and generating lovely echo/delay on that channel, but this is a side note.

Ive always found the midi editing a bit erratic/ clumsy to use in AP (although it's constantly improving) so I thought I'd try doing all my midi editing in the excellent xequence 2, using AP only for audio tasks which it does so well.

I want to use AB3 to make a project that will link the two apps and recall the state of the whole project. However, Ive noticed that whenever I have AP added into a AB3 project (audio input slot) that when I save it I dont get a “Saving for Auria Pro” message, and when I recall the AB3 project that has Auria Pro, only the most recently used AP project is recalled. This makes me think that AP doesnt allow its state to be saved. I had a look at the AB compatibilty list and Auria Pro is listed as “not AB3 optimised”.

Any tips on state saving Auria?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

Sorry to disappoint you, but Auria doesn’t support Audiobus state saving. Best recommendation is to save the Auria project with the same name as the Audiobus session (or vice/versa), to make it easier to go in and open the project.

• @Richtowns said:
    TLDR summary ....

Maybe its me and I need to do a reinstall.

Long explanation ...

Im trying to get back into using Auria Pro. I especially want to use AP's lovely sliders like the Dub Reggae producers do, pushing up a slider and generating lovely echo/delay on that channel, but this is a side note.

Ive always found the midi editing a bit erratic/ clumsy to use in AP (although it's constantly improving) so I thought I'd try doing all my midi editing in the excellent xequence 2, using AP only for audio tasks which it does so well.

I want to use AB3 to make a project that will link the two apps and recall the state of the whole project. However, Ive noticed that whenever I have AP added into a AB3 project (audio input slot) that when I save it I dont get a “Saving for Auria Pro” message, and when I recall the AB3 project that has Auria Pro, only the most recently used AP project is recalled. This makes me think that AP doesnt allow its state to be saved. I had a look at the AB compatibilty list and Auria Pro is listed as “not AB3 optimised”.

Any tips on state saving Auria?

As you noted, Auria Pro doesn't implement Audiobus state-saving. So, you'll have to open the project that you want by hand in AP.

• Thank you, thank you @espiegel123 & @wim

Im quite happy with the manual aproach/saving with the same name. I just always thought AP must be able to have its state saved. Weird!

I'd ask Rim why this is the case but Ive been locked out of the WaveMachine forum for ages now and all my requests to have my password reset have been ignored!

• @Richtowns : I don't think AB stay-saving is likely to be on RIM's lush of features to implement. Btw, few devs like getting into discussions of why they haven't implemented a feature that a customer wants.

Maybe you can create a new username on the forum rather than try to unlock the existing one.

• @espiegel123 Ill just have a look and see if it's ever been asked on their forum. Your right, best to word it right.

• Another thing into consider is that Auria Pro will not let you slave it to another midi sync unless it is the master; X2 on the other hand has Ableton Link V3 and can sync perfectly with AUM or AB3. I still love Auria Pro but I’ll look into how I would hook them up midi wise with X2.

• @Tones4Christ Im quite happy with my Auria Pro/ Xequence 2/ AB3 setup at the moment.
    I have AB3 and X2 set with Link inc. start/stop which means that I can use the sidebar (and I imagine AB remote) to start X2 and also AP....

To get AP to midi sync and start and stop with the AB play button I did the following:
    In X2 I go into the settings of one of the midi controllers (under the 5pin din icon) and enable “send sync” and I have chosen relative as a sub option. As the destination midi port Ive used the X2 virtual midi port which you enable in general settings but I dont think this gives any real advatage here, you could just send directly to Auria Pros midi port. You just need to use the same port in the next step ...
    Inside AP go to midi settings (I think its settings then midi tab) and select midi in to receive MMC on the same midi port you previously used in X2. (This makes AP a slave of X2 and works well)

Im just testing this setup out to see if I prefer this to using AUM/X2/AB3 which is pretty hard to beat especially as it AB completely saves everything's state. We will see. Using AP for the first time in ages, Im really enjoying making sounds with the lovely Fabfilter Twin 2, the xlfos are pretty amazing.

My next challenge is to get the timeline synced between X2 and AP but thats for another day.

Reading back on this, I do seem to have made something quite “simple” a bit complex. If you want a few screen grabs let me know :)

• edited July 2019

@Richtowns thanks for posting about this setup, I'm happy to see someone actually uses Xequence's (very good! 😉) MIDI sync output capability every time! :)

@Richtowns said:
    My next challenge is to get the timeline synced between X2 and AP but thats for another day.

Unfortunately, you won't have any luck with that because Auria Pro (nor any other iOS DAW for that matter) doesn't support SPP (song position). I'd dedicate an entire subsection of the Xequence manual to any DAW that finally supports that!

And regarding the MIDI sync you're sending: it is actually better to send it directly to Auria Pro instead of sending it through Xequence Source. The virtual source is only meant as a last resort when another app doesn't have a virtual destination. I must make this clearer in the docs. It should be avoided whenever possible.

• @SevenSystems OK, Ill revise my setup and see how it goes.
    X2 is so nice to use. The more I use it the more I like it.

• @Richtowns said:
    @SevenSystems OK, Ill revise my setup and see how it goes.
    X2 is so nice to use. The more I use it the more I like it.

Thanks, appreciated a lot! :) Let me know if you run into any issues.

• You can see apps which support State Saving here: https://audiob.us/apps/capability/state

[speculation, grain of salt, etc]: I haven't read the SDK but I think the idea with AB state saving is similar to AUs saving their state with the host project: all parameters are saved within the AB project file so that it can be shared with another user. There are also limits to the amount of data an app can save — so a synth app can save its settings in there as a simple text/plist/xml file but multi-track audio data would get silly quickly. Note that even Loopy doesn't support state saving.

Personally, I'd be happy if audio centric apps like Auria and Loopy could simply include a reference to a local saved project in the AB project and then use that key to re-open it when the AB project is loaded. This would break the shareability of the AB projects but worth it imo. Could also break if the local project was renamed (presuming something fragile like a name was used as the key) but again, would be worth the risk trade-off for me.