Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 and AUM Modular DAW?

Comments

• Big thanks for this! I feel much Xmarter now, and ready to take this rig for a spin.

• Learned a lot already from this video. Cool!

• tjatja
    edited July 2019

Many thanks!

• You da man! Thanks for your great vids!

• Thank You SO SO Much!!!!

• Great video!

• Keep working on the masterclass

• Nice job! This coming from someone who is unreasonably critical of tutorial videos and can rarely make it through a whole one. ;)

• edited July 2019

That's a great video, thanks a lot.

Two small suggestions: It is preferable to send the MIDI directly to AUM (select "AUM" as MIDI destination) and enable "'AUM' Destination" instead of "Xequence Source" in AUM's channel popups. No need to turn on "Virtual Source" in Xequence then, and you will get better timing. Also, it is easier to see the actual MIDI routing at a glance.

("Virtual Source" is primarily meant as a last resort when you want to control an app that doesn't have a virtual destination).

And there's no need to set the recording sources for a track if you don't want to do Multitrack Recording -- everything that's received from any source or channel simply gets recorded on the current track :)

Again, thanks for the great tutorial and hands-on video!

• I have to admit though that it’s much more intuitive and easier to explain to AUM users the way @gmslayton. Technical optimizations aside, it’s just way easier to visualize in AUM when a named source is going to a named destination.

Of course the flip side is the confusion that it seems like in Xequence you’d set the output to AUM, not to Xequence. This one confusing bit is so hard to explain in just a few words. But I think there are a lot more people that would understand things from the AUM perspective than from the Xequence view. If that makes sense. :#

• edited July 2019

I gotta be honest, I came close to giving up on Xequence 2. Coming from Cubase, I totally understand the editing part of it but I couldn’t get my head around the setting up part. Your video answered so many of my questions and made it so much easier for me to understand. I’m excited and inspired to work with it again. While I’m sure I’ll have a ton more questions, I’m all in baby!

• Great job. Thanks. Virtual MIDI has never been as straightforward as plugging in MIDI cables.

• @gmslayton SAME Question I put on your youtube channel posted here so others could answer or know:

AWESOME JOB. Seriously. So I know that Xequence itself can record MIDI parameters (CC), if I hook up and route a Midi controller in AUM to control FX busses, synth cutoffs, etc does Xequence record those CCs out of AUM? Is the routing any different?

• Great video explains a lot cheers

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@audiblevideo said:
    @gmslayton SAME Question I put on your youtube channel posted here so others could answer or know:

AWESOME JOB. Seriously. So I know that Xequence itself can record MIDI parameters (CC), if I hook up and route a Midi controller in AUM to control FX busses, synth cutoffs, etc does Xequence record those CCs out of AUM? Is the routing any different?

Point the controller to both AUM and Xequence. The cc’s will be recorded. The routing is the same as for notes as shown in the video.

But to say the Cc’s are being recorded “out of AUM” is incorrect. They’re being recorded from your controller, which is sending directly to Xequence in parallel with sending directly to AUM.

• @wim said:
    But to say the Cc’s are being recorded “out of AUM” is incorrect. They’re being recorded from your controller, which is sending directly to Xequence in parallel with sending directly to AUM.

Thanks! Good to know. :)

• Thanks for the video @gmslayton - cleared a lot up for me too and nudged me to dive in and buy. Good job, thanks!

• edited July 2019

For anyone using an external controller / keyboard: You do not need to point it at anything else than Xequence, and you never need to change any MIDI source or destination after the initial setup.

Xequence has MIDI Thru so it can automatically route your controller to the instrument that is currently selected in Xequence.

Please see the manual on this, it's really worth reading to save you a lot of trouble!

(there may be edge cases, but for the majority this is the best way to use an external controller.)

• Dude you nailed this video! Inspired

• Dawless Daw ??? mmmmkay :D

• @bresk said:
    Dawless Daw ??? mmmmkay :D

Modular DAW might be another way to say it. It’s actually something that pre-dates iOS

• Love this video and @wim you’re right I think it’s cause I’m lefty or something but having many ways of being able to achieve the goal is what makes Xeq2 so awesome! With AB3 and AUM it has morphed into the new MODAW system we all have been dreaming of; of course the midi setup is what’s driving everyone crazy but once the piping is laid down and set man, there’s no limit!

@Littlewoodg said:

@bresk said:
    Dawless Daw ??? mmmmkay :D

Modular DAW might be another way to say it. It’s actually something that pre-dates iOS

• @SevenSystems said:
    For anyone using an external controller / keyboard: You do not need to point it at anything else than Xequence, and you never need to change any MIDI source or destination after the initial setup.

Xequence has MIDI Thru so it can automatically route your controller to the instrument that is currently selected in Xequence.

Please see the manual on this, it's really worth reading to save you a lot of trouble!

(there may be edge cases, but for the majority this is the best way to use an external controller.)

Ah! Cool. That makes more stream-lined/efficient sense.

I did like the video... as I tend to learn easier from viewing.

• Guys just a friendly reminder; if you’re really enjoying this amazing app, would you please take a few seconds to leave an AppStore review for this wonderful developer? It really helps!

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️😇🤗🎹🎸🎧🎼

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Guys just a friendly reminder; if you’re really enjoying this amazing app, would you please take a few seconds to leave an AppStore review for this wonderful developer? It really helps!

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️😇🤗🎹🎸🎧🎼

Right you are and done.

• Thanks @gmslayton !

I tried following the "Xequence 2 with StepPolyArp" example in the manual, subbing Arpeggionome Pro for StepPolyArp, and was able to get Xequence 2 to record Arpeggionome Pro MIDI data, while Arpeggionome was playing Spectrum's Resonator (hosted in AUM) at the same time. I was also able to get Xequence 2 to replay the MIDI data back out to Resonator.

However, I was unable to get Rozeta Particles (in AUM) to work similarly with Xequence. This video will help a lot since it shows an example of Rozeta Collider playing another AUM-hosted synth, and MIDI data being recorded into Xequence.

• @GovernorSilver I may need to dedicate a video just on midi routing from AUM into Xequence.

I am having fun with Xequence 2 and Audiobus right now. a little bit of a different setup but pretty straight forward. Once I work everything out I will do a video on it as well.

• @gmslayton awesome video. Thanks for putting it together. Do you see any benefit from using Multitrack DAW (other than those you outlined in the video) instead of just tracking in AUM?

• @gmslayton said:
    @GovernorSilver I may need to dedicate a video just on midi routing from AUM into Xequence.

I am having fun with Xequence 2 and Audiobus right now. a little bit of a different setup but pretty straight forward. Once I work everything out I will do a video on it as well.

Such a video would be awesome!

I am slowly beginning to understand the advantages of adding Audiobus back into my workflow. For my little experiment, I had to tap Record in Xequence 2, then use standard IOS app-switching to go to Arpeggionome Pro to activate it. I think I was a little late, but if I had a drum track already recorded and I wanted the arpeggiator to start on top of the drum beat, I would have needed some practice to say the least, without the convenience of the Audiobus transport controls.

• @mjcouche you could just use AUM. Bus everything to a master channel and record it in stereo.

I think it would just be preference if you wanted to visualize the song with all of its tracks. or maybe if you wanted to add vocals or other non sequenced audio, it would be easier to line things up using MT Daw or something.