Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio midi interface recommendations.

gdhgdh
edited July 2019 in General App Discussion

I am looking for recommendations from this group for using the iPad Air 3 at our weekly jam session. Currently I am usually bringing a Roland a Fantom X6 plugged into an amp. I am new to integrating the iPad into a live setting. So far just using GarageBand on the iPad (will add more apps). I have an old non powered UM 1 SX USM midi interface to the camera connector into the iPad. Audio out to a tube pre -> amp. All works fine for about 1 hour then no sound. I’ve used the search function here and seems that I need a powered USB hub and or an audio midi interface. The Fantom does not send midi data over USB so the need to use midi cables and the UM 1.
I’ve just ordered new cables with mono 1/4” plugs to replace my old ones that have 1/4” stereo plugs. At times I’ve taken a Korg Radias, Prophet 08 or Juno 60 to these jams.

Once I get the interfaces worked out I’ll purchase AUM, Audiobus, Galileo, Heavy Brass, ISymphonic , SWAM when available. I also intend to pickup a Roli Rise as a 2nd controller and later purchase either a Mojo 61or Viscount Legend Solo to use as the main controller.

My plan is to bring the clonewheel + Roli and use the iPad for these jams for lightweight simplicity. Looking forward to your advice. .

Comments

• Have you considered a Bluetooth MIDI plug-in like Quicco mi.1 or Yamaha MD-BT01?
    Latency is much lower for MIDI than for Audio and I'd say that you could get used to it.
    The iPad's headphones output can also be used as a low-impedance line out so all you'd need is a proper cable (is it what you've mentioned?)
    For use on the road I'd highly recommend the Quiccos because the Yamahas stick out quite a bit from the keyboard and are hence much more prone to damage.

• I’d connect midi over Bluetooth. @rs2000 is spot on imo. I wouldn’t even fuss with any other method.

• Personally midi over Bluetooth is too latent for me to use.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    Personally midi over Bluetooth is too latent for me to use.

Agreed. If you take a MIDI clip and send that to a device/instrument over bluetooth it's very obvious how sloppy bluetooth MIDI is.

• Latency and playing live is a definite concern.

• Check first ,if background audio is enabled in GarageBand .
    When audio stops check the lights of UM 1SX if they light when you play notes from your Fantom . If they light the device still receives midi , so try playing a loop in GarageBand to check audio....

• @gdh said:
    Latency and playing live is a definite concern.

From memory it's minimum 7.5ms latency just in the Bluetooth midi, then you can add audio latency to that and finish it off with some jitter.

Some people seem to cope with it and maybe you will but if you're tuned as a live player I don't think it will work for you.

• So Im a iconnect dude nowadays but looking at your set up maybe something like this

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/U24--zoom-u-24-handy-audio-interface

• For portability and flexibility, I like the K-Mix.

• After years of trying many different options I got a Zoom U24 a year or so ago and haven't looked back (though curiosity still brings me to threads like this). It can be AA or USB mains/battery powered, has 5 pin din midi in/out, phantom power and good audio in/out options. Utterly reliable and a good form factor. I connect to iPad with a USB3 CCK so I can power my iPad at the same time.

I have one keyboard permanently going in on the midi input and connect others controllers using an array of bluetooth midi. This has been the single greatest IOS revolution for me, no more powered hubs and no more cables. I've never found latency to be a problem, maybe that makes me a timeless musician, but I make a lot more music now I'm not faffing around with cables.

• @mistercharlie said:
    For portability and flexibility, I like the K-Mix.

EDIT: K-mix does do midi, but you need to buy an extra dongle to plug in actual DIN midi devices

• I use IconnectAudio4+ when in studio and when mobile I use Zoom U44 with 2 extra input adapter :)

• gdhgdh
    edited July 2019

Thank-you all, I started looking at the Zoom U44 for its 4 inputs. The fewer things that I bring the better. Any backing tracks that I make will be dumped onto an iPod and run through the audio input on the keyboard. This may work best once I add the Roli, clonewheel and still allow the opportunity to add in another keyboard.

Carnbot, what extra input adapter are you using?

• edited July 2019

It doesn’t matter if you buy a new interface if you have software related issues (background audio disabled) or defective camera connection kit ;)

• I agree Korakios, tracked an issue down last night to a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter plug from iPad headphone jack to preamp. The UM lit up, GB showed midi activity then after an hour no sound out of iPad again. Used a stereo plug adjusted it so that the stereo ring wouldn’t cxl out the sound and all was fine. New cables should arrive tmw. Never had a midi issue before but then again I always brought a rack with a Speakeasy Vintage Tube Stereo Pre, line mixer , Lexicon fx and various hardware rack synths. With bringing 1 or 2 hardware synths that rig while great sounding is just to big, heavy and awkward to cart to a jam now.

I greatly appreciate everyone’s advice.

• Ok, cool! Although I don’t think it’s necessary buying an audio interface unless you really need long distance , balanced cables and stereo output :)

• iRig Pro (duo)?

• I have Arturia audiofuse .. built in usb hub + audio + midi

• The Arturia Audiofuse looks great, expensive compared to the Zoom U44. Will have to look into this one more. I saw an iRig at a local shop, the owner has some concerns with taking them to jams/gigs as they are a lightweight build - can’t remember if it was powered or not.

• yeah I agree with the AudioFuse... they shot themselves in the foot by announcing 18 months before shipping (!) but its a great package of I/O, usability and build quality.

Not cheap ... but I've never regretted it for an instant.

• edited July 2019

Prosonus itwo. Its great. Good quality and has two xlr/1/4" combos and midi in/out

Super sturdy too. Been using mine for years and its been dropped a ton. Works perfectly still

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxiTwo--presonus-audiobox-itwo-usb-audio-interface

• New cables arrived, used iPad audio out to Fantom X6 audio in. No dropouts, midi worked fine for the 2 hours I was playing. I’ll make sure not to forget the power plug for the Apple camera connector on Thursday night and see how it goes.

I like the Presonus and Focusrite interfaces but am hoping not to have to use a powered USB hub if possible to keep things to a minimum.

• edited July 2019

Hooray for jam night! What would we do without Jam night?
    10 years ago, on Wednesday’s at noon, when the tornado test siren would go off, I’d call my friends from my studio and say “you hear the warning siren? it’s jam time.” After the jam I’d upload it to soundcloud so everyone could listen all week till the next jam.
    The jams became so regular in the neighborhood that it spawned several electronic &/or jam bands and the local community radio asked us if we wanted a Wednesday time slot live, On-Air.
    Now it’s 10 years later and that radio show is now also a live Twitch.tv show on Wednesday nights called the PERFECT_GLITCH_SHOW and the rest is history.

Routine jam nights FTW !!

K-Mix also, all the way. I don’t own one, yet, but the reviews are in and thats my destination 👍

• The new cable worked perfectly, not one dropout or issue during the roughly 3 hours jam night. Had the camera connector powered all night as well. I will still buy an audio midi interface as I do plan to add another controller whether it be a K Board Pro 4 or Roli. Only issue I had was on initial power up of the Fantom, got a DIMM error msg. Opened the board up pulled out and reinserted the 2 gig ram, snapped it in. Swapped power cable as it seemed loose and all good.

Great story Dr_M 👍

• @Pierre118 said:
    iRig Pro (duo)?

I like these too

• @gdh said:
    The new cable worked perfectly, not one dropout or issue during the roughly 3 hours jam night. Had the camera connector powered all night as well. I will still buy an audio midi interface as I do plan to add another controller whether it be a K Board Pro 4 or Roli. Only issue I had was on initial power up of the Fantom, got a DIMM error msg. Opened the board up pulled out and reinserted the 2 gig ram, snapped it in. Swapped power cable as it seemed loose and all good.

Great story Dr_M 👍

Glad its working!