Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

PSA: Don’t forget about mood, Zeeon and Layr

These three came out in pretty quick succession, and then got a little eclipsed by the Synthmaster and Audiokit apps that came out after them.

I’m using them tonight, and completely loving their sound.

Comments

• I haven’t messed with mood in a while, I do love that synth!

• I just played Zeeon and LayR what amazing powerful synths they are! Gonna have to sample them though cause my iPad breaks a heavy sweat playing both😲🤓❤️☝️

• I always forget about the fatty basses I can get out of mood. That thing sounds sweet

• Love Zeeon, i hope the dev will fix the sample rate scaling issue on the effects soon.

• I'd like to add the free and fantastic Viking Synth - sounds like a Minimoog without eating your CPU for breakfast.

• Mood has some fantastic CS80-type patches. I love that synth, it's flying under the radar quite a bit. If I had to reduce the number of synth apps on my device down from almost 75 to, let's say five of them, it would most definitely stay.

• Agree with all of them and would like to add SUNRIZER... It’s so powerful!

• @RenattoVaz said:
    Agree with all of them and would like to add SUNRIZER... It’s so powerful!

I believe Sunrizer came out a little ahead of the others. Like, a lot. :D

• Zeeon is still my iOS #1. Mood isn't too far behind. Those are the two I've far and away spent the most time experimenting with and programming.

• I don't use Mood and Layr all that much. I never loved the sound of Mood for some reason, while Layr just always feels so complex when I open it up. Plus it's not AU3 I guess, which can be limiting. I should try it for pads though.

Obsidian is the synth I use the most, because it's really quick. Zeeon is definitely up there - great sound.

• @cian said:
    Layr just always feels so complex when I open it up. Plus it's not AU3 I guess

I don't disagree with it being too complex, but it is AUv3

• @cian said:
    .....while Layr just always feels so complex when I open it up. Plus it's not AU3 I guess, which can be limiting. I should try it for pads though.

Which is why it can do so many amazing things that can't be done with other synths. Programming it isn't for everybody, but man, its sound is amazing. Brice and Redskylullaby have created some awesome performance banks that are bundled with it.

I can see why it is intimidating to many, but it is a glorious synth and wholly its own thing.

• I use Zeeon all the time. I love mood but I use it less so, but mostly because when I'm going to Moog-ish sounds I reach for my Behringer Model D.

Layr is one I just can't get my head around. I've "learned" how to program it at least twice, and have completely forgotten how to program it both times. I think it sounds great, but it just doesn't resonate with me from an interface standpoint and it is a CPU monster as well.

• @Daveypoo said:
    Layr is one I just can't get my head around. I've "learned" how to program it at least twice, and have completely forgotten how to program it both times. I think it sounds great, but it just doesn't resonate with me from an interface standpoint and it is a CPU monster as well.

i hear ya

• It's unfortunate, though, because Layr sounds INCREDIBLE. I just can't seem to find a way to use it in a musical way - I'll keep searching....

• @Daveypoo said:
    It's unfortunate, though, because Layr sounds INCREDIBLE. I just can't seem to find a way to use it in a musical way - I'll keep searching....

It always made me feel obligated to come up with ridiculously complex patches due to its name and due to the brice (and others) examples. I feel like those performance patches it comes with are completely someone else's work, and I would never use them for an original song. And I'm so used to programming one specific synth sound that I'm not the right person to take advantage of Layr. It makes me feel like you've gotta have a whole orchestra of sounds planned out, when I'm usually just looking for a single cool or unique sound to use here or there.

• @Daveypoo said:
    I use Zeeon all the time. I love mood but I use it less so, but mostly because when I'm going to Moog-ish sounds I reach for my Behringer Model D.

How much CPU LayR takes is highly patch dependent. I find that it is actually pretty efficient when looked at from the perspective of how much sound (how many oscillators and filters, etc) I get for a particular CPU hit.

Several months ago, I was playing around trying to emulate THX Deep Sound and create patches based on the techniques deep note used. I had like 40 audio oscillators going and that many LFOs and 90 envelope generators on an iPad 6th gen without crackles or maxing out the CPU.

That's a lot going on. I think people sometimes judge the CPU hit based on LayR patches that have a lot going on -- and don't realize that they've just loaded up patch that is equivalent of a handful of other synths running at once.

It isn't my daily synth for dialing up quick sounds. But if I want something rich that unfolds interestingly over time, it is a dream.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but for doing what other synths don't, it is awesome.

• @jipumarino said:

@cian said:
    Layr just always feels so complex when I open it up. Plus it's not AU3 I guess

I don't disagree with it being too complex, but it is AUv3

I guess it wasn't the last time I looked at it :neutral:

• @espiegel123 said:

@cian said:
    .....while Layr just always feels so complex when I open it up. Plus it's not AU3 I guess, which can be limiting. I should try it for pads though.

Which is why it can do so many amazing things that can't be done with other synths. Programming it isn't for everybody, but man, its sound is amazing. Brice and Redskylullaby have created some awesome performance banks that are bundled with it.

I can see why it is intimidating to many, but it is a glorious synth and wholly its own thing.

I think my main problems with it are:
    1. The interface isn't terribly intuitive.
    2. It takes way too long to create a sound for the amount of musical use I'll get out of it.

Obviously this is a personal thing, but I'm simply explaining why I don't really use it. Though maybe I should start looking at it again for ambient stuff. A lot of it for me just comes down to time. There are synths that I know and I can get productive with really quickly, and so they tend to be the ones I rely upon.

• @cian : as I originally said. I realize it isn't everyone's cup of tea. The complexity is its strength. It allows it to create textures simply not possible with any other synth. That is its thing. It enables creating rich textures that evolve over time that no synth can.

And given what it does , it is pretty straightforward if one reads the manual. It is definitely a synth where one had to invest a little time to learn it, and it is worth it if one is interested in the area for which it is uniquely suited.

Not everyone is interested in those kinds of sounds which is totally fine.

Also , it is AUv3.