Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Enso, solid purchase (esp for use with Tube AU)?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• @EyeOhEss said:
    On my phone I can record Tube AU in to Spacecraft or AUM stems... but not massively in to either of those for this particular job.

Unfortunately Koala and other IAA options are no-go cos of the YT background audio limit.... iPad is no problem, BM3... but on phone I’m missing Bm3 for this and reluctantly using AUM stems or Spacecraft...

Is enso solid? Does the Enso AU have well implemented/fast sample file trim/save etc? And all Files then available in Files app to use elsewhere?

Thanks

In my opinion, if you are just wanting to record, Loopy/AUM/AB3 is the best option available. You have 12 tracks (of essentially unlimited length) available. The AB palette (which is available in AUM) lets you initiate and stop recording without needing to leave AUM or dive into an AU. It automatically advances to the next empty slot so that you can record one loop and then another until you have filled all 12 slots. In addition, the rich MIDI implementation makes whipping up custom Mozaic scripts to customize things to your needs simple.

• @espiegel123 said:

@EyeOhEss said:
    On my phone I can record Tube AU in to Spacecraft or AUM stems... but not massively in to either of those for this particular job.

Unfortunately Koala and other IAA options are no-go cos of the YT background audio limit.... iPad is no problem, BM3... but on phone I’m missing Bm3 for this and reluctantly using AUM stems or Spacecraft...

Is enso solid? Does the Enso AU have well implemented/fast sample file trim/save etc? And all Files then available in Files app to use elsewhere?

Thanks

In my opinion, if you are just wanting to record, Loopy/AUM/AB3 is the best option available. You have 12 tracks (of essentially unlimited length) available. The AB palette (which is available in AUM) lets you initiate and stop recording without needing to leave AUM or dive into an AU. It automatically advances to the next empty slot so that you can record one loop and then another until you have filled all 12 slots. In addition, the rich MIDI implementation makes whipping up custom Mozaic scripts to customize things to your needs simple.

FWIW, it is also super stable. I recorded 12 3 minute long tracks using this setup without a glitch and without needing to switch out of AUM.

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

Is enso solid?

No. Sometimes and for some people it’s stable, but it can be crashy, especially with more than one instance. That said, I have it, use it, and like it. I just take appropriate precautions.

Does the Enso AU have well implemented/fast sample file trim/save etc? And all Files then available in Files app to use elsewhere?

Save, yes. Trim, no. Files app, yes. I don’t think you’d be any better off than with AUM stems, unless your purpose is for live jamming.

• @wim said:

@EyeOhEss said:

Is enso solid?

No. Sometimes and for some people it’s stable, but it can be crashy, especially with more than one instance. That said, I have it, use it, and like it. I just take appropriate precautions.

Does the Enso AU have well implemented/fast sample file trim/save etc? And all Files then available in Files app to use elsewhere?

Save, yes. Trim, no. Files app, yes. I don’t think you’d be any better off than with AUM stems, unless your purpose is for live jamming.

I agree with wim. If you are just wanting to record them. Native AUM recording is the way to go especially if you have AudioShare.

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@EyeOhEss said:

Is enso solid?

I agree with wim. If you are just wanting to record them. Native AUM recording is the way to go especially if you have AudioShare.

Thanks everyone :)

I like the idea of messing with samples ‘during’ the sampling process. Like I would on an sp404 or whatever. Finding loops etc. Just makes the whole digging/stockpiling process feel a little less like admin ;) Enso appeals in that way...

AUM stems and Spacecraft just feel a little ‘wrong’ for me as general sampling workflows for long sampling sessions, compared to how fun it would be in something like Koala. It’s definitely not a big problem tho, AUM stems is basically fine, just not very ‘fun’ ;)

So enso is basically solid if only one instance? That’s all I need for this. I wouldn’t really want the extra tracks etc of the loopy+audiobus option, as I’d wanna name each sample while saving each one to Files.. surprised there’s no sample trim in enso tho :/ tho I guess it’s more akin to looper pedal than looping on a Roland SP..

How long are you going to want your recordings to be?

One way of 'trimming' in ENSO would be to set up your start stop points in one Enso and have another that receives the output from that ENSO.

• Enso stability can be unpredictable. I rarely have issues with it. Others do. I do get crashes sometimes out of the blue and for no identifiable reason.

It’s not particularly good for long sampling due to AU memory constraints.

• I find it rock solid, but I only use one instance at a time.

Another option is Multitrack DAW, which integrates perfectly with AudioBus, and you can record as many tracks as you like. You can copy/paste the audio from its tracks, too. Plus it obeys the AB floating control panel thing.

It's not really for loops, but it sounds like you don't need loops. Advantage over AUM is that you can play the recorded audio back instantly.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

@espiegel123 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@EyeOhEss said:

Is enso solid?

Thanks everyone :)

I like the idea of messing with samples ‘during’ the sampling process. Like I would on an sp404 or whatever. Finding loops etc. Just makes the whole digging/stockpiling process feel a little less like admin ;) Enso appeals in that way...

AUM stems and Spacecraft just feel a little ‘wrong’ for me as general sampling workflows for long sampling sessions, compared to how fun it would be in something like Koala. It’s definitely not a big problem tho, AUM stems is basically fine, just not very ‘fun’ ;)

So enso is basically solid if only one instance? That’s all I need for this. I wouldn’t really want the extra tracks etc of the loopy+audiobus option, as I’d wanna name each sample while saving each one to Files.. surprised there’s no sample trim in enso tho :/ tho I guess it’s more akin to looper pedal than looping on a Roland SP..

How long are you going to want your recordings to be?

One way of 'trimming' in ENSO would be to set up your start stop points in one Enso and have another that receives the output from that ENSO.

Doubtful I’d be recording many long samples. Usually like 15secs Max. What’s the limit in Enso?

15 secs is no problem

• I don't think enso is the appropriate roll for the job. I've just bought Tube AU, as it happens, and am planning to use the stick AUM sampler to actually get the samples from YT. But enso is brilliant for processing samples, at least if you can cope with it's ridiculous lack of an undo button. Plus of times over accidentally wiped a processed sample, which is PITA.

• Audiobus 3 > yt app > loopy

• Enso is a weird one, it seems to crash for absolutely no apparent reason. That said I have an AUM saved session with 6 instances that never ever crashes.

There is one crash issue in AUM with all AU fx units where the app will crash and then become micro size. Happens with a heap of apps not just Enso.

• @espiegel123 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

Thanks

Great idea. Hadnt' thought about this combo.

• I use AudioLayer and it works very well. That said, it's pretty expensive these days relative to other solutions.

• @rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

Thanks

I have dome videos to post soon. With both Loopy and Loopy had together, 24 tracks is possible and on my iPad 6th gen. the CPU meter only climbs to mid-20s.

Last night, I had 12 3 loops with lengths of 1 to 4 minutes each.

• @espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

Thanks

I have dome videos to post soon. With both Loopy and Loopy had together, 24 tracks is possible and on my iPad 6th gen. the CPU meter only climbs to mid-20s.

Last night, I had 12 3 loops with lengths of 1 to 4 minutes each.

Loopy is great. And sharing recordings with other apps is easy.

• edited July 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

i like hacking up samples in real time as well. i don't use tube AU.

have you tried elsa AU?

can be run as an AU MFX.

elsa can sample. in the effects slot of AUM if you wish.

manual control, or midi control of loop start and end. lots of midi control.

in some ways reminiscent of working with an sp 303. no time stretch though.

fast, fun, and produces happy accidents, even when you fully understand the working methods.

i use enso as well, though for looping only ( loop layering like oberheim edp, digitech pds8000, etc. ).

• @EyeOhEss said:

@reasOne said:
    Audiobus 3 > yt app > loopy

Loopy is IAA right? So would the same set up work with Koala? I don’t have a good grip on audiobus functionality, been trying to avoid humouring the less convenient sides of Apple/iOS and skipping anything that didn’t just work in a hassle free way ;) but does audiobus get round the Tube AU > IAA problem?

Obvs I don’t mean audiobus itself is inconvenient etc ;) was just referring to a lot of the complex configs/routings etc that Apple has had a hand in necessitating. I generally try to avoid that stuff.

I haven't tried to record anything yet... But looks like it'll work with koala too!

• Just recorded into koala using kroneker

• You can't do that with AUM unfortunately, but that's one thing that makes ab3 great, especially for things like this and smaller screens like iPhones

• @EyeOhEss said:

@reasOne said:
    Audiobus 3 > yt app > loopy

Loopy is IAA right? So would the same set up work with Koala? I don’t have a good grip on audiobus functionality, been trying to avoid humouring the less convenient sides of Apple/iOS and skipping anything that didn’t just work in a hassle free way ;) but does audiobus get round the Tube AU > IAA problem?

Obvs I don’t mean audiobus itself is inconvenient etc ;) was just referring to a lot of the complex configs/routings etc that Apple has had a hand in necessitating. I generally try to avoid that stuff.

Your impress that IAA apps are necessarily more inconvenient and more hassle is not correct. In the case of AUM/Loopy/AB3, there is no solution that is as convenient AND robust for recording loops...particularly if one wants more than a few. As you can basically do everything you need from the AB3 floating palette. The Audiobus preset even saves AUM's state. So you don't need a separate AUM configuration.

Loopy is about the most stable app I've run. Had a jam session last night with 12 1 to 4 minute loops. Never had to leave AUM. No diving into AUs to arm tracks. Recording a track automatically advances the record head to the next empty slot and starts playback when the loop is done.

• @EyeOhEss said:
    Thanks all :)

That’s cool that audiobus has the transport control panel thing, but still not sure if it’ll work with Tube AU>Koala.

All other apps I use work fine straight from AUM to IAA Koala. That’s never been a problem. Recording to IAA always works from AUM in past. But Tube AU has a weird background audio limitation thing that I’ve not hit before... maybe I’m just not grasping the way that Audiobus works though. Any good videos out there that illustrate the way it sets up differently with IAA and AUM?

Loopy and Audiobus etc sound good but I don’t own either and I’m not really down for spending like £20 just to sample from an app that seems like it might stop working at any moment ;) Maybe I’ll come back to those options after it’s been out a while if it keeps working though..

Cheers

If you don't have Enso yet, it's worth getting just because you can't really do what it does with hardware or other apps.

I like Loopy HD but pretty much never use it. It is very stable but I've still been able to make it wig out with sync.

• For those that have the notion that Audiobus/IAA means inconvenient or cumbersome:

Note: there’ll be a couple of other videos to accompany this. One to show how to set it up (for those to whom it isn’t obvious) and another with a bit more detail about the process.

This is in no way a dis at Enso which I love for the many unique things it can do. For some things, other tools make more sense. Btw, Loopy and Enso can play very well together. Putting Enso on Loopy returns for loop manipulation is awesome.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

• @espiegel123 said:
    For those that have the notion that Audiobus/IAA means inconvenient or cumbersome:

Note: there’ll be a couple of other videos to accompany this. One to show how to set it up (for those to whom it isn’t obvious) and another with a bit more detail about the process.

This is in no way a dis at Enso which I love for the many unique things it can do. For some things, other tools make more sense. Btw, Loopy and Enso can play very well together. Putting Enso on Loopy returns for loop manipulation is awesome.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Great vid. I had a hunch you were the Edward Spiegel that did the Meta Synth videos. I came across them not long ago after realising Jackson Fourgeaud used Meta Synth a lot on his Computerband stuff.