Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Time Bounce / Feast your ears and eyes

edited July 2019 in Other

I sent this to my friend, @rs2000. But can't Help sharing my friend, Kazzrie Jaxen, with you. A student of Lennie Tristano, Kazzrie is a jazz master. A total original and a divine spirit. So easy to fall in love with her.

Comments

• Would love to hear this produced proper - if for no other reason than getting the words more up front and prominent. ... very reminiscent of Laurie Anderson in places. Great sense of music in this clever woman. Any of her work about?

• @Soundscaper, lots of YouTube vids and check newartistsrecords.com. Many CDs and downloads.

• McDMcD
    edited July 2019

Her piano technique and hand independence is amazing.

Then she looks up at the camera using yet another part of her brain, smiling and singing
    with another rhythm layered over the machines laboring below.

Musically, there is a cell in Guatanamo where this music on a loop would produce insanity in a few hours.

It would be nice to hear a recording and I'm sure there is one at newartistsrecords.com.
    I found it here:

https://www.newartistsrecords.com/1057-a-million-shimmering-fish

It will cost $10 to download and $13 to get a CD. There is a free track to listen to on that page and her music (again) sounds like an impressionist taking mushrooms: Prélude à l'après-midi d'un "fauna".

• I agree with @Soundscaper - very Laurie Anderson.

• edited July 2019

I hear the connection to Laurie Anderson.
    I first impression though was Phillip Glass meets Chick Corea
    with a hint of Joni Mitchell in the lyrics.

Really, really cool.

• Unique and amazing. Thanks for sharing.

• I hope the @LinearLineman can find her and turn her on to using IOS tools for future recordings. From her Bio it looks like she's living in New Mexico now. She's a space child
    and might not trust computers. I don't trust them but I like what those little "ones and zeros" can do for me.

• @LinearLineman said:
    I sent this to my friend, @rs2000. But can't Help sharing my friend, Kazzrie Jaxen, with you. A student of Lennie Tristano, Kazzrie is a jazz master. A total original and a divine spirit. So easy to fall in love with her.

Made my day!

Wow.

East Broadway Rundown meets the Breeders......

• @McD said:
    I hope the @LinearLineman can find her and turn her on to using IOS tools for future recordings. From her Bio it looks like she's living in New Mexico now. She's a space child
    and might not trust computers. I don't trust them but I like what those little "ones and zeros" can do for me.

I know another artist who lives out there.....cool communities.....

• @McD I just emailed her today with just that intent. I wasn’t aware she was in NM. You sure you didn’t work for an intelligence agency? Or just a natural born sleuth.

• @LinearLineman said:

Thanks for the inspiration!
    Switched on my iPad, ran Gadget and suddenly I could not control my fingers anymore :o
    Raw output from Gadget.

• @LinearLineman I absolutely LOVE this. I love the vibe, the repetition, the soloing, the lyrics. I even love the camera angle (normally you get to see the pianists hands or their face, never both lol).

Very very cool.

• edited July 2019

Very cool 😎 the beat is crazy cool

• @Soundscaper said:
    Would love to hear this produced proper - if for no other reason than getting the words more up front and prominent. ... very reminiscent of Laurie Anderson in places. Great sense of music in this clever woman. Any of her work about?

One of the reasons I like it is because it is not produced. The production is in the fingers and voice with a bit of room for ambience. ;)

• @supadom said:

@Soundscaper said:
    Would love to hear this produced proper - if for no other reason than getting the words more up front and prominent. ... very reminiscent of Laurie Anderson in places. Great sense of music in this clever woman. Any of her work about?

One of the reasons I like it is because it is not produced. The production is in the fingers and voice with a bit of room for ambience. ;)

Totally agree.

• So glad you said that @supadom.

• @supadom et al ( how do you list folks chatting?)

Not all sex, drugs and rock& roll you know fellas ... sometimes there's poetry... words worth some listening too. And there's some of them in this. Not everything sounds better if it's produced in a bedroom. Just "authentic" and "real". Ish. I still like 78s myself.

But from my experience very few musicians are worried about the words at all - don't actually listen to that, too busy listening to the measure and the pitch and the timbre and the like - so we hear the voice more than listen to the words... I know I do. Takes a few listens to actually realise there's words going on. Then a Joni Mitchell turns up - or a Paul Simon or an Ira Gershwin. They do good - wonderful - words. But overwhelmingly most musicians whip something off on a menu or old envelope ... yeah, that'll fit!

But this is clever poetry - and it's running through a human sequencer ... polyrhythms all over the place ... no mean feat. I'd like to know what she's saying. .. part of the package I reckon... I think she's put some thought into it. Or she could just scat sing it.

I reckon if yer gonna do good words - clever words that mean something - you don't bury them or throw them away like they're worthless ... up front front and centre - right in your ear. Lots of whisper layered into it ... make it close. Difference between mere music and a song.

• @Soundscaper said:
    @supadom et al ( how do you list folks chatting?)

Not all sex, drugs and rock& roll you know fellas ... sometimes there's poetry... words worth some listening too. And there's some of them in this. Not everything sounds better if it's produced in a bedroom. Just "authentic" and "real". Ish. I still like 78s myself.

But from my experience very few musicians are worried about the words at all - don't actually listen to that, too busy listening to the measure and the pitch and the timbre and the like - so we hear the voice more than listen to the words... I know I do. Takes a few listens to actually realise there's words going on. Then a Joni Mitchell turns up - or a Paul Simon or an Ira Gershwin. They do good - wonderful - words. But overwhelmingly most musicians whip something off on a menu or old envelope ... yeah, that'll fit!

But this is clever poetry - and it's running through a human sequencer ... polyrhythms all over the place ... no mean feat. I'd like to know what she's saying. .. part of the package I reckon... I think she's put some thought into it. Or she could just scat sing it.

I reckon if yer gonna do good words - clever words that mean something - you don't bury them or throw them away like they're worthless ... up front front and centre - right in your ear. Lots of whisper layered into it ... make it close. Difference between mere music and a song.

Well said.

• For this the kind of material I would simply turn up with
    three microphones and a couple of preamps.
    On mix down, minimum amount of eq, compression and
    very, very subtle reverb to glue the microphone sources together.

She reminds me of a pianist/singer I recorded over in France one time.
    She had studied with Oscar Peterson, though her playing was more
    bluesy than atonal polyrhythmic, the vibe was the same.

It's starting to become rare these days.

• edited July 2019

Funny, I heard the words. She repeated them often enough. This is a tech forum and will always be such. People need filters, it seems. Hey, I understand. I live in Turkey. Everyone seems to understand what they are saying to each other... except me. That cave painting over there.... could be better... a lot better.

So we filter... sounds like so and so.... polyrhythms!... lost art forms... well, have fun and welcome to it! But from the artist’s POV (and knowing her and from whence she came I guarantee this)) the most important thing for her (and you can see it on her face) is how she feels doing it and how you feel experiencing it. I am not saying filtering is “wrong”. I am just suggesting that, in using our routine filters, or standard way of looking at things... the thought glasses we always don... that something, perhaps the artists greatest intention, can be missed.

Maybe this will clarify...

• Oh wow, so you know her personally??

Tell us more.

• @gravitas, yes, for forty years. I met her while studying with a protege of Lennie Tristano, Connie Crothers. All of Lennie’s students were imbued with his ideas about feeling. Certainly he is not the only one to talk in such a way, but his students have a unique approach to it all. Kazzrie was originally Liz Gorill and her early albums are under that name. You can google her or visit newartistsrecords.com and learn more. (Use Safari to hear tracks).

The night before my first concert in NYC, our mutual friend, Charley Krachy (playing sax above) brought over an album (vinyl) of Kazzrie playing solo. He thought he was inspiring me, I guess. I was devastated!
    She was so powerful and confident... I wilted completely. I was nauseous until the concert. Somehow I shrugged it off. My cd “Michael Levy at Greenwich House” was the result. You can hear it at The New Artists site. I could never play like Kazzrie, but I could play like myself and this is what Lennie, Connie and Kazzrie taught.

• @LinearLineman

That's what I meant about similar vibe in regards to the pianist I recorded over in France,
    she was the one who encouraged me to get serious about piano, her name by the way is
    Judy Blair, she loves her blues and jazz, original came from Texas, she was a child prodigy
    and all that, similar age group to Kazzrie and yourself quite possibly.

I'm a multi-instrumentalist, drums, percussion, bass, double bass, guitar, keys,
    vocals occasionally... so you know and self taught for the most part.

The freedom to express oneself is the reason why I became a jazz musician
    and also the reason why I walked away from the jazz scene.

I got seriously into M-Base and the material that Steve Coleman, Greg Osby
    and Kevin Eubanks and the rest of those guys were doing back in the late 80's,
    early 90's.
    I didn't get to hear that stuff until the 90's anyway.
    I was intimidated at first because some of that stuff was so out there.
    The polyrhythmic stuff I had first come across were all sixteens overlapping.
    To hear the cross rhythms was awesome.

I'll look up those links and have a listen as soon as I can.

Thank you for that piece of history dude and I look forward to hearing your playing.

• @LinearLineman

I'm listening to your music now.

Respect.

• McDMcD
    edited July 2019

@LinearLineman said:
    She was so powerful and confident... I wilted completely. I was nauseous until the concert. Somehow I shrugged it off. My cd “Michael Levy at Greenwich House” was the result. You can hear it at The New Artists site.

I'm just like you. I downloaded "MLGH" and you made me sick.
    I take pills for the nausea.

Genuine talent (based upon years of work) makes me ill. I'll never get there. Then you tell me don't go there... just play. So, I play.

But you haven't told me how to avoid getting sick when I'm faced with my own limitations. Riddle me that, Batman.

• You sound quite accomplished and devoted @Gravitas. I think you are new here? If so, welcome! This place is terrific. They even tolerate jazzers! Though my old jazz friends have mixed feelings about my iOS stuff, I am grateful to the platform (and the great teachers here) cause it allowed me to take my improvisational training to a new place.
    99% of my iOS tracks start from keyboard improvs and being able to easily create the musical material for mangling has been a total blessing. If you haven’t heard any, please listen a little. Just for the interesting comparison of my early Tristano / Crothers inspiration and what the hallucinogenic iOS dream drew from me. And thanks for listening and the praise. Best, Mike

https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/

• @LinearLineman

I am quite accomplished in many directions though
    it's taken until now to personally acknowledge it,
    I'm my own worst critic and yes, I am devoted to music.

Gosh, they tolerate jazzers, whatever next
    I suppose some may even know Miles Davis? :)

No problem dude, from the moment I heard your first few notes,
    I could hear where you were coming from, it deserves praise.

Yes, I am new to this forum, though I started making music with iOS devices
    a couple of years ago, it's only been in recent months that I realised that this
    is the hub for iOS musicians.

As soon as I get the chance I'll have a listen to your bandcamp.

Thank you for the share.

Ishmael

• @LinearLineman

Currently listening to the beginning of JAZZstanbul in my music room.

Loving the production, tasteful, clear, everything in it's own space.

The clarity.

The music, more importantly, is wonderful and
    that's only on the first track Dminor Fluxuation.

I love new music.

Thanks dude.

• @McD, I am certainly appreciative of hearing one’s own limitations. For advice.... play slower! Find the music in playing a simple scale. Do Connie’s melody and improv exercise (as you know so well). Play this stuff half an hour four times a week. One of the only benefits of the rocket of time is that months will pass like lightning. Hold off your judgement till December 31st. I tell you true, McD. You are an accomplished drummer with music in your arterial system.

@Gravitas, you will be surprised at the musical erudition in these iOS freaks. Some know a hell of a lot more about jazz than I do. I am glad you reached the point of loving what you do. Some never get there.
    I love what I do but cannot figure out where it comes from. I have given up on trying to figure it out.

This is no question the greatest place to share love for iOS and each other. Why, we can even almost talk about politics on occasion. Lots of tolerance, helpfulness (no question too dumb, I know) and passion. Many are totally addicted... the poor lost souls... waiting eternally for Logic on iOS.

My BandCamp albums are all downloadable for free. I don’t even have PayPal. If you don’t know, Ishmael, I live in Istanbul currently and just turned 71. I thought I was the oldest here, but recently found out I am not. Drat! I look forward to hearing some of your music. Welcome again to the party🥳🙏

• @LinearLineman

The Miles Davis comment was so tongue in cheek,
    I know many people who know more about jazz than I ever will thankfully so.

Lololololol, Cool, I noticed that when browsing that we could even talk politics,
    I talk politics a lot on FB so this forum is perfect for me to get away from politics so to speak.

Myself also, I heard my first acoustic guitar at the age of three and that was it,
    44 years later I'm still channelling.
    I love music with a passion and I support other musicians as much as possible.
    As you well know being a teacher and student of music goes hand in hand and doesn't ever stop.

I stopped using Logic a long time ago and even if it does reach the iOS platform
    I most probably won't be getting it.
    It stopped being musical when Apple bought it from Emagic and turned it into bloatware,
    same as when Yamaha bought out Cubase.

I like my music software and hardware lean and clean.

I realised that you lived in Istanbul after the title of the album and a comment
    you made earlier in this thread about languages and cave paintings.

My music is as varied as the instruments I play.

Have a listen here

Live band stuff, groove based

www.soundcloud.com/mdbch1

Film soundtrack stuff

www.soundcloud.com/MDBCinematique

Percussion based stuff/ I studied with the master drummers of Africa as part of my journey

www.soundcloud.com/MDBBeatingDrm

Vocal stuff

www.soundcloud.com/Moderndayblue

These are all links to my material before I took the plunge into iOS.

All of the tracks are written, recorded and produced by myself independently.

Pleased to meet you dude.

Thank you for making me feel welcome.