Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dropbox App - large storage on my Air2. No offline files-I cleared cache?

This is showing up since I upgraded to latest iOS and gather it was what I couldn’t see before in ipad storage/Other. Need help. How to clear this large amount of data.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited July 2019

I had no knowledge that Dropbox app saves files to ipad. That defeats the object of uploading to dropbox to save local storage.Do I “ offload app” ?

• yeah that Dropbox can sneakily fill up your ipad, I can't guarantee anything here but I just uninstalled Dropbox on the iPad and reinstalled and all the space on my iPad freed up.

Obviously you need to make sure you have these files backed up somewhere. In my case everything was on my online Dropbox but I cant make any guarantee on your files safety as I'm no expert by a long margin.

• No. Offload only deletes the app, not its data.

• edited July 2019

@[Deleted User] said:
    yeah that Dropbox can sneakily fill up your ipad, I can't guarantee anything here but I just uninstalled Dropbox on the iPad and reinstalled and all the space on my iPad freed up.

Obviously you need to make sure you have these files backed up somewhere. In my case everything was on my online Dropbox but I cant make any guarantee on your files safety as I'm no expert by a long margin.

@[Deleted User] cheers. Will do the above. Are these cache files Or files that are copied to dropbox via files app?. The latter I reckon

• @mistercharlie said:
    No. Offload only deletes the app, not its data.

@mistercharlie ok thanks.

• Inside the Dropbox aap you'll find settings, under the "account" tab. Dig around in there for offline storage preferences.

• @stormbeats said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    yeah that Dropbox can sneakily fill up your ipad, I can't guarantee anything here but I just uninstalled Dropbox on the iPad and reinstalled and all the space on my iPad freed up.

@[Deleted User] cheers. Will do the above. Are these cache files Or files that are copied to dropbox via files app?. The latter I reckon

yeahhhhhh, i have no idea mate so at your own risk or wait for a smarter person to reply. When I saw 2 gigs on my ipad for dropbox i was like WTF!

• @mistercharlie said:
    Inside the Dropbox aap you'll find settings, under the "account" tab. Dig around in there for offline storage preferences.

@mistercharlie ok thanks again. Not trying to do offline though as I think that will cause huge data storage issues via iOS.

• I mean, you need to delete the files stored offline. That's what's taking up space.

• edited July 2019

@mistercharlie said:
    I mean, you need to delete the files stored offline. That's what's taking up space.

@mistercharlie i have no offline files mate. I think its an issue with copying files to Dropbox via Files.app. I wonder if there is a clear all cache’s app. Will search .

• I’ve had DropBox for quite a while. To free up the DropBox storage, clear it’s cache as follows:

Open the Account tab at the bottom:

Click on the gear icon to open DropBox settings:

Scroll down to the bottom of the settings page and click on Clear Cache, then follow the prompts.

Hope that helps!

• I @stormbeats said:

@mistercharlie said:
    I mean, you need to delete the files stored offline. That's what's taking up space.

@mistercharlie i have no offline files mate. I think its an issue with copying files to Dropbox via Files.app. I wonder if there is a clear all cache’s app. Will search .

You have 23.12GB of files stored!

• You have to delete the app and re-install. It’s some kind of cache you can’t access. It’s on the Dropbox forums. Check and see for yourself. Clear Cache doesn’t make any difference. Files app doesn’t make any difference.

• @anickt said:
    You have to delete the app and re-install. It’s some kind of cache you can’t access. It’s on the Dropbox forums. Check and see for yourself. Clear Cache doesn’t make any difference. Files app doesn’t make any difference.

@anickt yes i done that now. Weird thing is I reinstalled but before deleting my ipad storage was at 53.4gb. After re install ipad storage is at 44.9gb so only 8.5gb was deleted in storage. There’s an extra 14.62gb somewhere on the ipad . Its crazy. I give up for tonight. Will look into this further though.

• @anickt said:
    You have to delete the app and re-install. It’s some kind of cache you can’t access. It’s on the Dropbox forums. Check and see for yourself. Clear Cache doesn’t make any difference. Files app doesn’t make any difference.

+1. I had this - no amount of cache clearing worked. Deleted and reinstalled the app and it cleared up the space.

The Dropbox app is crap.

• @motmeister thanks - i tried that but like others have said clear cache does not do much at all. Thanks though for your info

• @stormbeats said:
    @motmeister thanks - i tried that but like others have said clear cache does not do much at all. Thanks though for your info

If the storage is no longer showing as belonging to Dropbox, then iOS will probably clear that space when needed. iOS doesn't do permanent cache cleanup, etc. until it has to. I have used a technique in the past, involving downloading a huge movie (Lawrence of Arabia rented for free from iTunes) that is bigger than available storage, then cancelling the rental. But that won't work if you have 54gb free.

Even thought the numbers don't reflect it, I think you're pretty safe in assuming that the space has been effectively freed up as long as it doesn't show up as being owned by the Dropbox app.

• @MonzoPro said:

@anickt said:

+1. I had this - no amount of cache clearing worked. Deleted and reinstalled the app and it cleared up the space.

The Dropbox app is crap.

Agreed, dropbox app is crap.

• @wim said:

@stormbeats said:
    @motmeister thanks - i tried that but like others have said clear cache does not do much at all. Thanks though for your info

If the storage is no longer showing as belonging to Dropbox, then iOS will probably clear that space when needed. iOS doesn't do permanent cache cleanup, etc. until it has to. I have used a technique in the past, involving downloading a huge movie (Lawrence of Arabia rented for free from iTunes) that is bigger than available storage, then cancelling the rental. But that won't work if you have 54gb free.

Even thought the numbers don't reflect it, I think you're pretty safe in assuming that the space has been effectively freed up as long as it doesn't show up as being owned by the Dropbox app.

I am pretty sure @wim is correct that if you deleted dropbox that its files were deleted. I have found that powering down and back up (not just going to sleep and waking up) seems to trigger some sort of cleanup / garbage collection.

• edited July 2019

The 2G storage is very little compared to others. I was lucky because I grabbed the Box offer for iOS devices 50G and the old Mega.nz 50G free storage , but still both offer 10G. Plus pCloud (my favorite) and of course GDrive .
    While I was writing , I came across with Degoo , 100Giga free ????! Anyone using it ?

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

Often iOS updates clear out some of that unused file allocation. The cynical side of me says it’s Apple’s cheeky way of getting credit from people for freeing up space with updates.

In reality though, it’s this way with just about every file system. Windows has its infamous “temp” directories that rarely get cleaned up properly by apps when they’re done with the files. Linux has its /tmp folder message queues, logs, spooler files. If you know what you’re doing you can get in there and clean up amazing amounts of space. If you don’t you can screw up like my mother in law, father, kid, and dozens of co-workers have.

So, I do credit Apple for at least cleaning house during updates (which is a good thing since they don’t allow us to). Not many OS’s actually do that.