Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Decent Pitch shifting/Octave doubler AUs (or pitch tracking synths) -- this exist on iOS yet?

There any AU (or combination of tools) around these days that could do what a 'octave doubler' guitar pedal would do (essentially, generate a monophonic tone an octave below a signal)? I don't have the cash to invest in Yonac stuff although I know there's a polyphonic pitch shifter in there. A pitch tracking synth would do the job I'm after really.

It's the only thing that I've not been able to bring into the digital realm yet (have a beat up old stomp box that cost me £25 and sounds maaaasive) and getting it done with software instruments would give me much more flexibility in audio routing.

Cheers!
Oscar

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • McDMcD
    edited July 2019

4Pockets sells the "Pitch Shifter AUv3 Plugin" for $5. Their description:

This is an AUv3 compatible processor friendly stereo pitch shifter plugin which can be used as a plugin with your favourite DAW such as Cubasis, Auria, Meteor or GarageBand.

This effect was designed for modifying the pitch of vocals and lead instruments such as lead guitar or keyboard lines. It allows you to pitch shift both left and right channels independently by +/- 12 semitones. We also provide fine detune options for both channels as well as level and balance controls.

Please Note: There are some restrictions on this plugin which you need to take into account before purchasing. This plugin only works with sample rates of 44/48KHz and below. As with most real time pitch shifters this effect imposes a 100ms delay due to data processing constraints. This is not so noticeable on vocals or lead instruments but not useful for shifting drums or anything that snaps to a beat. Again this is pretty typical of real-time pitch shifting algorithms.

100ms is noticeably for guitars but you can learn to get used to it and learn to anticipate your attacks. If you use extreme picking techniques you'll probably lose your mind. I wouldn't know since I find that shred style to be exhausting to practice and hard to listen to
    for more than a few bars. It's like Circus Juggling or a High-Wire act. "Look at this." Too many jugglers all ready and not enough Robben Fords in the world... he can shred but doesn't feel the need to.

If AUv3 based DAW's work for you host it in the the AUHost for $1. Up to 4 AUv3's can be loaded.

Or better yet for Guitar load 4Pockets into MIDI Guitar 2. Amazing app to use the Guitar as a MIDI controller and mix live and AUv3 based apps. AUv3's can be loaded for he live guitar path. Only FabFilter Pro-Q3 seems to be a problem loading here. I tend yo use AUM for the Preset loading. If you Loop then you'll probably want AB3 in the mix for transport controls or Quantiloop which can also load AUv3 FX.

Quatiloop with a BlueBoard is pretty cool: Like a Boss Loop Station.

• @OscarSouth said:
    There any AU (or combination of tools) around these days that could do what a 'octave doubler' guitar pedal would do (essentially, generate a monophonic tone an octave below a signal)? I don't have the cash to invest in Yonac stuff although I know there's a polyphonic pitch shifter in there. A pitch tracking synth would do the job I'm after really.

It's the only thing that I've not been able to bring into the digital realm yet (have a beat up old stomp box that cost me £25 and sounds maaaasive) and getting it done with software instruments would give me much more flexibility in audio routing.

Cheers!
    Oscar

Before I put my improv band on hold last year
    I was using AmpliTube for the octave pedal effect
    so that I could play the bass lines without a bass player
    or when we had a bass player I could reinforce the bass riffs
    or provide space for the bass player to solo.

I've been going the ToneStacks effects recently myself
    and their octaver is not that dissimilar.

Set the latency as low as possible and you'll be good to go.

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

Dischord4 might be worth checking out. It’s designed to do a lot more (all of which I think might be right up your alley), but if you set the pitch shift on the right and left channels, with no delay, and panorama set to center, all you get is the pitch shift.

[edit] touch the little “semi” above the pitch adjusters to dial in pitch easier. -12 semitones is -1200.

• @wim said:
    Dischord4 might be worth checking out. It’s designed to do a lot more (all of which I think might be right up your alley), but if you set the pitch shift on the right and left channels, with no delay, and panorama set to center, all you get is the pitch shift.

+1, I was just going to post this.

Really good at pitch shifting, plus you get some lovely delay and reverb tools thrown in. My most used fx app.

• edited July 2019

@OscarSouth said:

Cheers!
    Oscar

Audio Damage Discord 4 AUv3.
    ToneStack (IAA/Audiobus) has "Wanger", a clone of the Digitech Whammy pitch pedal.
    Edit: Oops, @wim gets the medal ;)

• Thanks for the advice all! Have read all the replies and followed through with a bit of research on those links/suggestions.

I have and am quite fond of Discord4 -- will load it up and have a play with it as a pitch shifter. MIDI Guitar 2 looks like a great option too and something that I absolutely play with, just a bit expensive for me at the present moment. I also host everything in Audiobus for decent inter-device 'Link-less' tempo sync.

• @rs2000 Yep Wim does.

@Wim I've been keeping an eye on that one.
    Namely because the sound it's emulating used
    to cost and arm and a leg back then.

What's the latency like when playing guitar through it?

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

Meh. Just tried it out. Doesn’t work all that well for guitar IMO ... unless you’re going for weird. :|

• @OscarSouth said:
    I don't have the cash to invest in Yonac stuff although I know there's a polyphonic pitch shifter in there. A pitch tracking synth would do the job I'm after really.

JamUp is free, and has an Octaver IAP for like $2.99 that is pretty good. It has one specifically for bass too.

• edited July 2019

@wim said:
    Meh. Just tried it out. Doesn’t work all that well for guitar IMO ... unless you’re going for weird. :|

Ah ok, yea I'm going for 'shake-your-bones-super-smooth-sub-sinewave (I get this with pedals by using a hard low pass filter on the original (electric bass) tone going into an octave doubler with a 100% wet mix (no original signal).

@wim said:

@OscarSouth said:
    I don't have the cash to invest in Yonac stuff although I know there's a polyphonic pitch shifter in there. A pitch tracking synth would do the job I'm after really.

JamUp is free, and has an Octaver IAP for like $2.99 that is pretty good. It has one specifically for bass too.

I'll have a look into that.

• edited July 2019

@OscarSouth said:
    There any AU (or combination of tools) around these days that could do what a 'octave doubler' guitar pedal would do (essentially, generate a monophonic tone an octave below a signal)?

The pitch function in Cubasis sounds quite acceptable (and better than Discord) for guitar, if you can deal with adding it afterwards on a separate audio track.

• @wim said:

Ahh...
    Good to know.
    It could be useful for percussion or drum loops then.

@OscarSouth

If you've got Audiobus or AUM you could create two channels.
    One for Amplitube with the octaver plugin (which is free by the way)
    One for Jam Synth which you could use to trigger it's internal bass synth.
    Though jam synth has delay due to latency the front end of the tone will be Amplitube and jam synth will provide the bone breaking sine wave modulating sonic tones you're after once you've run it through a low pass filter.

Theoretically of course as I've yet to try it myself.

I used to use a Korg G5 bass synth to get a similar effect
    when I was playing in a breakbeat band on bass.

• @Gravitas said:
    One for Amplitube with the octaver plugin (which is free by the way)

Cool. I couldn’t remember if that one was included with the free Amplitube version.

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

• @Wim
    Not to sure if it is included in the free version.
    I got the free version and then bought the bass bundle they had at the time.

I had the desktop version so I couldn't see the point in getting the full iOS version.
    I do like the Amplitube octaver though, I was playing through it for almost a year.
    It's permanently in my guitar presets that I've made.

• Some of the chording and scale apps and AUV3s run to an octave preset - quick and dirty .... Quantichord from memory has one... top and bottom.

• So after some experimentation and trial and error, nothing comes within 1000 miles of the beautiful filth that a couple of stomp boxes can create. I'm sending a second line in with a split off dry signal that's getting high passed and effected by WOW2 and Modley and then blended with the bass sound in various ways. It sounds amazing! Maybe I'll ditch those effects pedals one of these years -- but no this year!

• @OscarSouth said:
    So after some experimentation and trial and error, nothing comes within 1000 miles of the beautiful filth that a couple of stomp boxes can create. I'm sending a second line in with a split off dry signal that's getting high passed and effected by WOW2 and Modley and then blended with the bass sound in various ways. It sounds amazing! Maybe I'll ditch those effects pedals one of these years -- but no this year!

What pedals are you trying to emulate/replace? Flux:Fx is pretty good for basic octave.

• @BroCoast said:

@OscarSouth said:
    So after some experimentation and trial and error, nothing comes within 1000 miles of the beautiful filth that a couple of stomp boxes can create. I'm sending a second line in with a split off dry signal that's getting high passed and effected by WOW2 and Modley and then blended with the bass sound in various ways. It sounds amazing! Maybe I'll ditch those effects pedals one of these years -- but no this year!

What pedals are you trying to emulate/replace? Flux:Fx is pretty good for basic octave.

I actually really like like that octave effect but no-go for Audiobus hosting.

I'm using a low pass filter and a monophonic octave doubler, which together give a very big sounding sub tone that filters out any high end content before doubling the fundamental.

• @wim said:

@OscarSouth said:

Would you mind sharing an audio example with the original signal and the FX-only signal so we know what to emulate?

• @OscarSouth said:

@BroCoast said:

@OscarSouth said:

I'm using a low pass filter and a monophonic octave doubler, which together give a very big sounding sub tone that filters out any high end content before doubling the fundamental.

Awesome. :)

You could host it in AUM & host AUM in AB? That's my workaround anyway.

• @rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@OscarSouth said:

Would you mind sharing an audio example with the original signal and the FX-only signal so we know what to emulate?

Yeah ok, might be tomorrow before I get a chance to do that but I'll get on it.

@BroCoast said:

@OscarSouth said:

@BroCoast said:

@OscarSouth said:

Awesome. :)

You could host it in AUM & host AUM in AB? That's my workaround anyway.

That's an option that I'd not considered as I timesync everything in AB3. This channel doesn't have any timesync effects though so that's a possibility. If it turns out to be stable/recallable enough I might give it a go.