Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

App challenge 003 - obsidian (ns2) edit

This challenge is to use Obsidian and ns2

After a discussion with a few of you, it seemed like using nano studio would be a good challenge to those of us who primarily use AUM and ab3 to break out of the comfort zone!

So far I've really been enjoying hearing everyone's entry's, it has been great!!

If you only have one of the two, that's fine just use the one!

Remember you can share a patch/preset, a small riff, a loop, a whole song, a sequence, whatever you come up with! Just have fun and try something different

Comments

• God obsidian is like 10 synths in one. I think we’re gonna have a lot of good stuff with this one!

• Oh f-ck yeah! Obsidian challenge here I come!!! 😎

• i would suggest for Obsidian a bit more restricted conditions, like allow to use just FM and Noise oscillators :-) Otherwise it's like 6 different synths (+ sampler) :)

• edited July 2019

@dendy said:
    i would suggest for Obsidian a bit more restricted conditions, like allow to use just FM and Noise oscillators :-) Otherwise it's like 6 different synths (+ sampler) :)

Or at least "Obsidian - no sampler, no presets". ;)

• edited July 2019

No presets - nah, you breaked my hopes that i will contribute here without needs actually even run app :)))))

Btw i was thinking abou actually following both criteria - resample D1 sounds into Obsidian amd tweak them there ...

• @dendy said:
    No presets - nah, you breaked my hopes that i will contribute here without needs actually even run app :)))))

This from the man who, if memory serves, created a lot of Obsidian presets in the first place? :smirk: Come off it mate. ;)

Btw i was thinking abou actually following both criteria - resample D1 sounds into Obsidian amd tweak them there ...

Okay, you can use Obsidian's sampler, but only for D1 resampling. :lol:

• @dendy said:
    i would suggest for Obsidian a bit more restricted conditions, like allow to use just FM and Noise oscillators :-) Otherwise it's like 6 different synths (+ sampler) :)

I was thinking about that but figured anyway to get people to dive into obsidian is good! We all have a different approach so I thought it best to leave it open! But I do think some kinda limited obsidian challenge in the future would be really fun

• I was gonna state that since I don’t have ns2 I would use d1 and eden. But I’m still working on my Sunrizer challenge. When i get to this one who knows if I bought ns2? :lol:

• Not my skillset, but really looking forward to what you people do with this one....

• First excuse: i dont think automation works in D1 does it?

• @AudioGus said:
    First excuse: i dont think automation works in D1 does it?

That's why i'm thinking about multisamplimg D1 into Obsidian :-)

• Just updated ak-d1 and not getting any sound (AUM nor AB3). Other apps working fine. Anyone having similar problems?

• @AudioGus said:

It's something we're working on!

BTW, Obsidian is an absolutely gorgeous synth. Easily one of the best iOS Synths of all time. I don't know if D1 is fit to be in the same category. Though, humbled that anyone would consider that. 🙏

The next update, (which has been waiting for review all weekend by Apple) v1.2.1 should make D1 work in NS2.
    🚀

• edited July 2019

@Jhnk said:
    Just updated ak-d1 and not getting any sound (AUM nor AB3). Other apps working fine. Anyone having similar problems?

That's bizarre, and D1 is loaded as an AUv3 and not an IAA, right? (You may try deleting from project and restarting AUM, re-adding).

There's another update in the queue w/ Apple. I hope it fixes it for you. If not, my personal email is [email protected], feel free to email me anytime with issues. Thanks much!

• edited July 2019

@analog_matt said:

@AudioGus said:

BTW, Obsidian is an absolutely gorgeous synth. Easily one of the best iOS Synths of all time. I don't know if D1 is fit to be in the same category. Though, humbled that anyone would consider that. 🙏

The next update, (which has been waiting for review all weekend by Apple) v1.2.1 should make D1 work in NS2.
    🚀

I am a hack and judge a synth mainly on it’s presets and D1 is awesome for me and easily in the same category. What happens under the hood and with init patches is other peoples business.

• @AudioGus said:

@analog_matt said:

@AudioGus said:

🚀

I am a hack and judge a synth mainly on it’s presets and D1 is awesome for me and easily in the same category. What happens under the hood and with init patches is other peoples business.

We happy band of simple brothers (sat at the back but earnest...)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AudioGus said:

@analog_matt said:

@AudioGus said:

🚀

We happy band of simple brothers (sat at the back but earnest...)

For me patches are like kids. Plenty in the world that need a good home.

• @AudioGus haha, I agree man there's plenty of great sound designers out there making excellent patches, I love presets, I like to whip up my own on occasion but as a full time employee and father/husband time I'm limited and I prefer to arrange stuff into a song or loop, automation and tweaks are often enough to keep me satisfied in this music hobby of 20 years

• Here is my entry. Created 100% in Nanostudio 2 with the Obsidian Synth - no presets, and no samples (except for the inaudible hihat sample I used to trigger the sidechain compression). Enjoy.

• @Jhnk said:
    Just updated ak-d1 and not getting any sound (AUM nor AB3). Other apps working fine. Anyone having similar problems?

Does it work with the plugin's own keyboard?

• @jwmmakerofmusic great jobs ! sounds very actual and modern, good job on composition, sound design and final mixing ! :+1:
    I would love to hear some Obsidian patch bank from you, you have obviously some serious sound design skills dude !

• @dendy said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic great jobs ! sounds very actual and modern, good job on composition, sound design and final mixing ! :+1:
    I would love to hear some Obsidian patch bank from you, you have obviously some serious sound design skills dude !

Thanks mate. :) I greatly appreciate the nice compliments.

I also appreciate you wishing for patch banks from me. :) That's also quite a compliment. The secret however is I create the base patch in Obsidian, and put a lot of internal effects on the effects rack to simulate resampling ala producers like Feed Me, but in my own style of course.

• edited July 2019

The secret however is I create the base patch in Obsidian, and put a lot of internal effects on the effects rack to simulate resampling ala producers like Feed Me, but in my own style of course.

You can share also interesting insert FX chains - just save chains in mixer (hamburget menu in mixer inserts tab), and then download file using Apple Files app - it's saved in directory Effects > Chains > Audio ;)

Theoretically you can create zipped package with proper directories and files like :

Obsidian patch files -> /Instruments/Obsidian/User/YourPackName/
    Insert FX chains -> /Effects/Chains/Audio/

Then just zip it to one big zip file .. users then can simply unzip file at their computer and copy whole directory structure with all files using WebDAV into NS2 document root folder - this adds stuff to proper places, fx chains ready to be loaded and obsidian patches saved in nice custom subdirectory under "User" main folder ..

Not perfect, but it is the way how to share package containing more than just plain patches.

• @dendy said:

The secret however is I create the base patch in Obsidian, and put a lot of internal effects on the effects rack to simulate resampling ala producers like Feed Me, but in my own style of course.

You can share also interesting insert FX chains - just save chains in mixer (hamburget menu in mixer inserts tab), and then share file using Apple Files app - it's saved in directory Effects > Chains > Audio ;)

Cool! I may see how to do that in a bit.

• I used all obsidian since I couldn’t get d1 to load in ns2. I mostly used presets, especially for the drums because I still haven’t managed to dial synths in for good drum sounds yet. Also the crunchy bass is total preset. The rest are mostly presets I adjusted. I did run the final mix through grand finale as well cos I’m still not great at mixing

• This is all super amazing.

Thinking out loud, and to keep everyone from getting too frustrated – would it be possible to postpone the D1 part of the challenge until AudioKit AUv3 functionality has been out for a few weeks? As a musician myself, I want to get AUv3 functionality working so well that it's effortless in the creative process. We see room for lots of improvement that we're working on now. It'll get there. And, all your feedback is helping accelerate it. Looking forward to your thoughts & Thanks so much!

• @analog_matt said:
    This is all super amazing.

Thinking out loud, and to keep everyone from getting too frustrated – would it be possible to postpone the D1 part of the challenge until AudioKit AUv3 functionality has been out for a few weeks? As a musician myself, I want to get AUv3 functionality working so well that it's effortless in the creative process. We see room for lots of improvement that we're working on now. It'll get there. And, all your feedback is helping accelerate it. Looking forward to your thoughts & Thanks so much!

@analog_matt said:
    This is all super amazing.

Done, original post edited!

Also sorry guys I haven't got to listen yet I've been working 14 a day, I'll catch up!

• Nice one, a bit psychedelic - which i very much like :)

I mostly used presets, especially for the drums
    Also the crunchy bass is total preset.

Muehehe, thanks, this means now I also contributed to this challenge, at least like preset author :lol: :lol:

• @analog_matt When I initially tried it, neither IAA nor AUv3 was working (I got that buzzing crash from AUv3). But now it all works very nicely! There is a strong possibility it was because I was doing something stupid so I wouldn’t worry about it. Thanks for the help though! (And to you @jipumarino )

• @Jhnk said:
    @analog_matt When I initially tried it, neither IAA nor AUv3 was working (I got that buzzing crash from AUv3). But now it all works very nicely! There is a strong possibility it was because I was doing something stupid so I wouldn’t worry about it. Thanks for the help though! (And to you @jipumarino )

Oh it worked? Was it the MIDI channel setting? I think that may be tripping people up a lot @analog_matt, maybe the AU version should always be set to Omni and leave MIDI channel filtering/assignment to the host.