Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Free AUv3 ports of Mutable Instruments eurorack modules

Comments

• @wim said:
    Can you even have separate icons when they’re all part of the same app (not to be confused with App Store) bundle? I mean ... Rozeta.

Well Rozeta has the names below the icon. This has no names. ;)

• edited July 2019

PS Tom I noticed the gain is kind of crazy in Modal. Need to set the levels at almost minimum values to keep it not gnarly.

• edited July 2019

.> @wim said:

Can you even have separate icons when they’re all part of the same app (not to be confused with App Store) bundle? I mean ... Rozeta.

I think just the text adjustments would be enough like Rozeta IMO.

For AUM I asked Jonatan about what was possible inside the nodes. Would be very cool if inside these nodes extra info or images could be displayed. Like realtime data via images. Unfortunately no custom graphics can be drawn.

• @BroCoast said:

@wim said:

Well Rozeta has the names below the icon. This has no names. ;)

I think that’s an AU thing called the “Short Name”. Not all hosts do anything with it, but I think it’s a relatively thing to set. 5-8 characters long I think.

• @burns_audio said:
    OK, 0.2 was finally approved by Apple.
    Fixes:
    Fixed missing audiounits on iOS versions lower than 12.2.
    Fixed MIDI pitchbend and aftertouch modifying all mod matrix parameters at once.
    Fixed instability and crashes when loading multiple instances.

@wim said:

• correct cc’s for Resonator
    • detune is listed in the cc’s for Granular, but isn’t in the interface. Is it valid?
    • Pad X and Pad Y aren’t responding to cc’s in Spectrum, Resonator, and Granular.

CCs reused in Resonator was a bug. It is NOT fixed in 0.2 but is fixed in 0.3. I will update the manual when 0.3 ships. Fixing this also reshuffled a few CCs on the other audio units as there was a bug in my AU -> MIDI CC map generation code.

EDIT: forgot to say, detune is valid but not in UI, and Pad X/Y CCs are working in the sound processing but the UI is not reflecting the change.

Looking at a few other bugs now for a quick 0.3, please keep reporting anything you feel is weird.

Starting tomorrow afternoon I'm taking a week off of programming, I'll try to get another update out before then but no guarantees :)

up early ( for a saturday ) to feed the cat
    can confirm, the fix fixed it... new update shows all Spectrum modules here on ios 11.4.1
    too early for noisemaking here... but the fun shall commence after a snooze and some coffee
    ( @MonzoPro , i’m back in the Cunk Stick game look! ) :)

• @RockySmalls said:

@burns_audio said:
    OK, 0.2 was finally approved by Apple.
    Fixes:
    Fixed missing audiounits on iOS versions lower than 12.2.
    Fixed MIDI pitchbend and aftertouch modifying all mod matrix parameters at once.
    Fixed instability and crashes when loading multiple instances.

@wim said:

• correct cc’s for Resonator
    • detune is listed in the cc’s for Granular, but isn’t in the interface. Is it valid?
    • Pad X and Pad Y aren’t responding to cc’s in Spectrum, Resonator, and Granular.

CCs reused in Resonator was a bug. It is NOT fixed in 0.2 but is fixed in 0.3. I will update the manual when 0.3 ships. Fixing this also reshuffled a few CCs on the other audio units as there was a bug in my AU -> MIDI CC map generation code.

EDIT: forgot to say, detune is valid but not in UI, and Pad X/Y CCs are working in the sound processing but the UI is not reflecting the change.

Looking at a few other bugs now for a quick 0.3, please keep reporting anything you feel is weird.

Starting tomorrow afternoon I'm taking a week off of programming, I'll try to get another update out before then but no guarantees :)

up early ( for a saturday ) to feed the cat
    can confirm, the fix fixed it... new update shows all Spectrum modules here on ios 11.4.1
    too early for noisemaking here... but the fun shall commence after a snooze and some coffee
    ( @MonzoPro , i’m back in the Cunk Stick game look! ) :)

Funnily enough I got up early to feed the cat too (my cat, not yours, unless he’s got a bike) - life in the fast lane. I’ll get some cunk sticking on the go when my brain has finished its whirly whirly, and look at this app update look.

It’s a nice ‘suite’, some proper noises coming out of this one.

• edited July 2019

I can’t believe how awesome this suite is!
    Sounding so frigging good. Someone over in the Elektron forums posted a piece with it that sounds like a loscil production

(In case anyone wonders - https://www.elektronauts.com/t/ipad-music-apps/31997/1884)

Speaking of copyright 🙈😁 what speaked against calling them clouds, rings etc? I am not used to the new names by now 🤔

• There is definitely magic in all MI modules - Emillie Gillet is genius but also Thomas did awesome job with those ports and perfectly adjusted them for a bit different platform - he added exactly what was needed to male them perfectly useable as AUv3 plugins... Excellent job.

• Awesome masterpiece @burns_audio !!!

Thanks a lot and kudos for your work, also the update fixed issues with iOS not uptodate.

Just a question for the guys that are using Spectrum: in AB3 Granular has the keyboard muted, FX is working but I cannot change its parameters while playing, I have to stop, go to the Granular page to change something and then come back to hear what's happening with new settings. Is it right behaviour or am I doing something wrong? Thanks

• Not sure if it has been mentioned but Modal & Resonator do not appear to make sound in GB as AU instruments.

• @BroCoast said:
    Not sure if it has been mentioned but Modal & Resonator do not appear to make sound in GB as AU instruments.

It's mentioned in the manual - they're fx!

• Very impressed with these. Spent about 2 hours playing yesterday. To my ear the sound quality is second to none in iOS. And the possibilities....wow. Thank you so much @burns_audio.

• @ElectroHead said:

@BroCoast said:
    Not sure if it has been mentioned but Modal & Resonator do not appear to make sound in GB as AU instruments.

Oh haha. I didn't even think of there being a manual. :)

• The cross hair was added.... sweet!

• edited July 2019

@ElectroHead said:

@BroCoast said:

Hmm read the manual and still not understanding why they don't work as instruments in GB but do in every other host? I know some are FX slot only obviously.

• edited July 2019

@BroCoast said:

@ElectroHead said:

@BroCoast said:

They are AU instruments also, I don't use GB unfortunately. Did you try a reinstall?

• @ElectroHead said:

@BroCoast said:

They are both - instruments AND fxs.. just Granular is FX only

• @dendy said:

@ElectroHead said:

@BroCoast said:

They are both - instruments AND fxs.. just Granular is FX only

You're right and I stand corrected. I've been using modal and Gran in FX slots in AB, Spectrum in instrument slot.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@BroCoast said:

@ElectroHead said:

@BroCoast said:

They are AU instruments also, I don't use GB unfortunately. Did you try a reinstall?

Just tried that, no luck. No matter GB is not important but I did also notice Modal & Resonator don't respond to pitch bend?

• @espiegel123 said:

so that when you come back to your AUM patch, you can see at a glance which of these great instruments you are using without having to reopen them.

I had no clue about the short names, will fix.

@BroCoast said:
    PS Tom I noticed the gain is kind of crazy in Modal. Need to set the levels at almost minimum values to keep it not gnarly.

I'll add it to my TODO list and a look again! It was tough to find a range suitable for both using as an instrument and an effect

@BroCoast said:

Confirmed, seems weird.. they're not receiving MIDI events from garageband while Spectrum does. I'll have to step through the initialization to figure out where things go wrong in GB.

@BroCoast said:
    Just tried that, no luck. No matter GB is not important but I did also notice Modal & Resonator don't respond to pitch bend?

I didn't have space in the UI but I the intent was to hard-code the pitchbend range to 12 and call it a day.. will check. Same with Granular

• edited July 2019

@BroCoast said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@BroCoast said:

@ElectroHead said:

@BroCoast said:

Edit: answered by dev

• @ElectroHead said:
    To my ear the sound quality is second to none in iOS. And the possibilities....wow. Thank you so much @burns_audio.

Emilie at Mutable Instruments deserves the sound quality praise.. she's an absolute genius

• @burns_audio said:

@espiegel123 said:

so that when you come back to your AUM patch, you can see at a glance which of these great instruments you are using without having to reopen them.

I had no clue about the short names, will fix.

@BroCoast said:

I'll add it to my TODO list and a look again! It was tough to find a range suitable for both using as an instrument and an effect

@BroCoast said:

Confirmed, seems weird.. they're not receiving MIDI events from garageband while Spectrum does. I'll have to step through the initialization to figure out where things go wrong in GB.

@BroCoast said:

I didn't have space in the UI but I the intent was to hard-code the pitchbend range to 12 and call it a day.. will check. Same with Granular

Love your work! Thanks again, this weekend has been a blast playing with these.

• @burns_audio said:

@BroCoast said:

Can you use a value offset or multiplier in one case and not the other?

• edited July 2019

@burns_audio said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @BroCoast said:

Maybe it's related to the fact that both those are available also as FX ? Maybe GB detect them improperly as FX in instruments slot, and disables sending MIDI to them ? Something with how is instrument / fx registration implemented (because Synthmaster One is also both Instrument and FX but it works in GB )

• @burns_audio said:

@ElectroHead said:
    To my ear the sound quality is second to none in iOS. And the possibilities....wow. Thank you so much @burns_audio.

Emilie at Mutable Instruments deserves the sound quality praise.. she's an absolute genius

The sound quality is indeed exceptional, but you also deserve praise for bringing these instruments to iOS. For free.

• @dendy said:
    Maybe it's related to the fact that both those are available also as FX ?

It was related to that. Other hosts don't mind if instruments register an audio input bus. Garageband minds. Will be fixed in 0.3.

• @burns_audio The envelope in modal seem to act funny: you must hold the key for the entire duration set in the decay parameter otherwise the envelope act like a “gate” skipping the release phase

• @Synthi said:
    @burns_audio The envelope in modal seem to act funny: you must hold the key for the entire duration set in the decay parameter otherwise the envelope act like a “gate” skipping the release phase

Yeah I don't like this either, will fix eventually.

• @burns_audio said:

@Synthi said:
    @burns_audio The envelope in modal seem to act funny: you must hold the key for the entire duration set in the decay parameter otherwise the envelope act like a “gate” skipping the release phase

Yeah I don't like this either, will fix eventually.

Great!!! Thanks! Its very difficult to play like this. Also THANKS for your wonderfull contribution to the ios world!