Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Ooooh - ok, so are FieldScaper or SoundScaper worth it in this new AUv3 world?

• @Daveypoo said:
    Ooooh - ok, so are FieldScaper or SoundScaper worth it in this new AUv3 world?

It sure is :wink:
    At least for me, there's nothing like them

• Ah, again the same developer behavior.

Sale not visible in the App Store: no information about the time window of the sale, or of the percentage.

"Limited time sale all apps" is really disappointing.

Only do not own SoundScaper.

Now 6,99 Euro....

Will I seek the original price to see if I take the hook?

No.

Not supporting such developers anymore.

• @tja said:
    Ah, again the same developer behavior.

Sale not visible in the App Store: no information about the time window of the sale, or of the percentage.

"Limited time sale all apps" is really disappointing.

Only do not own SoundScaper.

Now 6,99 Euro....

Will I seek the original price to see if I take the hook?

No.

Not supporting such developers anymore.

I appreciate your frustration, but I ask you this: does it really matter? Either you're interested in purchasing it or your not - if you are, you save some money, if not you don't....

• edited July 2019

Does Soundscaper offer something different, more than Synthscaper and Fileldscaper?
    Cannot understand clearly reading descriptions.
    Thanks so much

• @Sinthemau said:
    Does Soundscaper offer something different, more than Synthscaper and Fileldscaper?
    Cannot understand clearly reading descriptions.
    Thanks so much

Soundscaper and Fieldscaper have quite a lot of overlap. They have almost nothing in common with Synthscaper. Synthscaper is for making music, the others are for mangling sound. Fieldscaper is universal and can be used as a live effect, Soundscaper isn't and can't. Both have a LoFi sound chip emulation at their heart, but this is a bigger feature (and is more controllable) in Soundscaper. They each have their interesting nuances and possibilities. At the end of the day, no simple summing-up can do more than hint at the creative possibilities of any of these apps.

• @Daveypoo said:

If I had to choose between the two, I’d pick FieldScaper, since you can load your own samples. SoundScaper Is interesting, but I’ve got more mileage out of FieldScaper.

They’re a nice distraction on a quiet evening when there’s nothing on the telly.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Daveypoo said:

If I had to choose between the two, I’d pick FieldScaper, since you can load your own samples. SoundScaper Is interesting, but I’ve got more mileage out of FieldScaper.

SoundScaper can load samples as well.

• Thanks @MarkH and all for the reply.

I already have Field and just bought the 2 Synths, so maybe I can skip the Sounscaper, for in these Summer Sales have spent really too much money, so I think it's better to save a little. Best

• @tja The sale prices and originals are available here: https://appsliced.co/apps/dev/imusicalbum

• Can anyone explain (as you would to a 7-year-old) the difference between Synthscaper and Synthscaper LE?

• Are any of there other apps worth a look?

i.e. Master Record, Audio Mastering, MasterFX Or Altispace?

Don’t see much about these.

• @EricWalkingshaw said:
    @tja The sale prices and originals are available here: https://appsliced.co/apps/dev/imusicalbum

Thanks, but what I wrote was not about how to get that information, but about why the developers don't do this more useful.

• edited July 2019

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Can anyone explain (as you would to a 7-year-old) the difference between Synthscaper and Synthscaper LE?

LE is a player, cannot create sounds, only modify them.

And directly from developer Igor Vasiliev: Yes, but LE version can be used as standalone and as AUv3. It's lightweight and easy to use player of presets and scenes which are completely compatible with the full version. You can import scenes with samples from full version. And also LE has some additional functions that very convenient for live performance. Look at the "Tune panel" - https://motion-soundscape.blogspot.com/.../synthscaper-le...

• @tja said:

@EricWalkingshaw said:
    @tja The sale prices and originals are available here: https://appsliced.co/apps/dev/imusicalbum

Thanks, but what I wrote was not about how to get that information, but about why the developers don't do this more useful.

I get the complaint, but imperfect marketing seems like a strange thing to "not support such developers" over!

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Daveypoo said:

Yeah you’re right, I forgot about that. I still find FieldScaper more useful to use with samples though, as the editor allows easier control over looping and stuff.

They’re all great though, reminded me I need to dig them out again.

• @tja said:

@EricWalkingshaw said:

Probably because prices are different in different countries and if you just say what the sale is in dollars you piss off the entire rest of the world. App Store prices don’t nicely equate from currency to currency due to currency conversions and apple’s necessity to make everything end in 99! :-)

• I should get both field and synth scraper but I have so many synths and finish so little tracks 😭
    Field looks cool, different than anything else maybe I'll do that one however synth seems like a really good time

• @reasOne said:
    I should get both field and synth scraper but I have so many synths and finish so little tracks 😭
    Field looks cool, different than anything else maybe I'll do that one however synth seems like a really good time

Synthscaper is capable of incredible stuff, only issue for me is it completely knobbles the cpu on my Air 2. Otherwise I’d use it more.

• @klownshed said:

@tja said:

@EricWalkingshaw said:

Probably because prices are different in different countries and if you just say what the sale is in dollars you piss off the entire rest of the world. App Store prices don’t nicely equate from currency to currency due to currency conversions and apple’s necessity to make everything end in 99! :-)

No reason to think up possible explanations.
    The explanation is simple: Laziness and not having thoughts about some proper way to communicate a sale.

Anyway

• edited July 2019

Anyone have experiences they’d like to share about the Audio Mastering app, which is also on sale. Looks very interesting, and at a good price. Assuming it is compatible with iOS 12? Thanks! 🎷

• edited July 2019

Fieldscaper vs Amazing Noises’ Moebius Lab ?

Can anyone owning both apps give a quick comparison/contrast? Thanks!

(Bonus question: any similarities between Fieldscaper and the late, great Samplr?)

• Well I went ahead and grabbed synthscraper, @RedSkyLullaby sold me with his YouTube video

• edited July 2019

@haulin_notes said:

(Bonus question: any similarities between Fieldscaper and the late, great Samplr?)

Moebius is more of an fx unit with a simple synth in it, FieldScaper a sample player/manger/synth with some fx.

Doesn’t really compare with Samplr, more experimental in nature.

I’d recommend anyone interested in making noises to buy all of the ‘scapers, especially at this price. Probably not that useful if IDM is your thang, but for us weirdos they’re essential.

• .> @MonzoPro said:

@haulin_notes said:

Moebius is more of an fx unit with a simple synth in it, FieldScaper a sample player/manger/synth with some fx.

Doesn’t really compare with Samplr, more experimental in nature.

I’d recommend anyone interested in making noises to buy all of the ‘scapers, especially at this price. Probably not that useful if IDM is your thang, but for us weirdos they’re essential.

👍 Cool, thanks for the input. That helps. Had to buy Fieldscaper after seeing a demo from @thesoundtestroom make it look fun AND easy AND weird AND good. (No mean feat!)
    This other one from the dev is wonderful as well (funny too, “attention K-mart shoppers... “ 😂):

• @MonzoPro said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Daveypoo said:

Yeah you’re right, I forgot about that. I still find FieldScaper more useful to use with samples though, as the editor allows easier control over looping and stuff.

They’re all great though, reminded me I need to dig them out again.

While you can load samples in both, what makes Fieldscaper special is that you can feed it live audio and use it as an effect.

It's fantastic to recontextualize other sounds. It's not as obvious as pitch-shifting delay / reverb, not as chaotic as granular synthesis; for me, it's just right.

• From a previous post about Fieldscaper:

I love FieldScaper, but the UI is a bit of a nightmare: controls typically have abbreviated labels (often only 3 letters, sometimes only 2!); some controls with similar functionality are called different things in different places; buttons that have wildly different functions are grouped together; functions that work closely together are often spread over the interface; seemingly simple functions often require multiple steps; etc.

The manual can be a bit hard to understand and doesn't have any diagrams, but is absolutely essential reading to really grasp what's going on and for tips on usage.

The basic idea is that you have audio in a buffer (either recorded into the app; loaded into the app; or, my favorite, playing live and constantly cycling through the buffer). You have a bunch of controls over the recording process and automatic gain control (it's recommended to record hot). If using recorded or loaded samples, you have a variety of editing tools available: destructive (cut, trim, split etc.) and non-destructive (loop ranges with fades, etc.)

You play back the audio in a variety of interesting ways:
    -audio can be slowed down or sped up (up to 20x)
    -audio can be reversed
    -most interestingly, you can "short out" the sample readout address lines. This is the unique feature of FieldScaper**. Essentially, it's virtual circuit bending, where you're manipulating the readout of the sample. The sonic quality is akin to sample and bit reduction, but often with rhythmic / chaotic interruptions or micro-loops of the sample playback.
    There are a variety of logical operations that are applied to the address by a variety of masks that selects which of the 20 bits of the address are affected. You can control the mask type as well as move the mask selected to affect different bits.

Additionally, there's the Area setting. Here, instead of affecting the sample readout addressing, the mask sets where in the sample the playhead will playback. This doesn't affect the sonic quality, it just cuts the sample up based on the masks.

This audio is then run through distortion (sample/bit reduction, noise, ring mod, flanger, phaser), resonant multimode filter, delay and a "spacial mixer" (i.e. control over left-to-right pan and front-to-back depth with reverb).

Every parameter that has a variable range (i.e. sliders, not buttons) can be controlled by built-in LFOs that can free run down to a 90 second cycle or be tempo controlled.
    These variable parameters can also be assigned to a "Main effect" slider that can adjust multiple parameters at once. Each parameter can be scaled, so adjusting the Main effect slider will cause different amounts of change in each parameter.

Pretty much every control (including buttons) can be MIDI controlled.

All of that is repeated three times with the three oscillators (each having its own sample).

Quick tip if you're exploring without reading the manual: buttons labeled "Ena" or "Enabl" mean "Enable" i.e. "On"; the other parameters in that related group (e.g. all the Address controls) won't do anything unless you turn "Ena" on!

** Note this sample address shorting is one of the main features of SoundScaper. Instead of the realtime processing that Fieldscaper can perform, SoundScaper is more focused on sound manipulation, so it has more parameters that can be adjusted and has a better interface for automation (especially the spacial mixer).

• Awesome!when will these be available

• Great stuff.