Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best way to "DJ"?

Ok, so I guess not really DJ. When I play shows, I usually take 5 stems of my songs (drums, bass, leads, vocals, fx) and trigger them at the same time in Ableton, adding fx, doing live vocals, and riffs with a sampler or synth. My laptop no longer runs Ableton reliably, so for a while I was using an Octatrack to do it. I've sold the OT, though, and now need a replacement on my iPad. I'm not a DJ, so DJ software is mystifying to me and I'm not really interested in learning to DJ. Any ideas on a good app for this kind of thing? I've considered BM3 and pad launching, but that thing crashes more than my drunk grandma without her glasses.

Comments

• If you want to work purely with audio loops then the Launchpad app from Ampify Music may be just the ticket...very solid app...base app is free..with IAP to unlock features like Sample Import and FX editing. It integrates nicely with Novation Launchpad hardware too.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/launchpad/id584362474

• +1 for launchpad for your needs

Add GR16 to create and export loops and beats. Very nice workflow.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    If you want to work purely with audio loops then the Launchpad app from Ampify Music may be just the ticket...very solid app...base app is free..with IAP to unlock features like Sample Import and FX editing. It integrates nicely with Novation Launchpad hardware too.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/launchpad/id584362474

Dope. I'll have to check that out. I have a Launchpad for my live shows, so that'd integrate nicely.

• edited July 2019

@slicetwo said:
    Ok, so I guess not really DJ. When I play shows, I usually take 5 stems of my songs (drums, bass, leads, vocals, fx) and trigger them at the same time in Ableton, adding fx, doing live vocals, and riffs with a sampler or synth. My laptop no longer runs Ableton reliably, so for a while I was using an Octatrack to do it. I've sold the OT, though, and now need a replacement on my iPad. I'm not a DJ, so DJ software is mystifying to me and I'm not really interested in learning to DJ. Any ideas on a good app for this kind of thing? I've considered BM3 and pad launching, but that thing crashes more than my drunk grandma without her glasses.

The free GarageBand Live Loops - you can use audio, MIDI and Drummer on each cell in the matrix and trigger individual cells simultaneously or a whole column of cells with FX. You can also RECORD your performance as a new song as you trigger the cells and play them!

• Alongside the other options also take a look to Soda Dj. It has an editor so you can build your own template with all you need and ditch what not.

Also if you are song oriented and want similar Ableton playlist triggering I will recommend you GTL. It has 4 stems by group and one main group with 4 stems more.
    For me it's the near workflow to Ableton for backtracking purposes. Also it has implemented load next song from midi bindings so if you aren't going to session it makes perfect balance between features vs CPU demand. You can combine it with Launchpad app since both have Ableton Link.