Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Creating my own samples

Hello, guys!

I've been thinking about making music on my Ipad Pro for a few days and I'm here to ask questions about it and for today, my question is:

How can I create my own drums on IOS?

I'd like to stop using other people's drums and do mine so how can I do that?

In my opinion, I need to:

• A recording app
  • An app to modify the sounds I record

Do you know of any good applications like this? Is the dictaphone by default in the ipad pro good enough to record my samples?

To then modify these samples ( for example a clap) do you know of any good applications to do this? Modify the pitch, attack, length, punch, frequencies and other things ?

Are there any apps where I can do all this in one app? Save a sample and modify it directly, overlay samples...?

After that, I would like to have my drums library full of my drums and maybe share them for free.

I think it's a very interesting subject so don't hesitate to give your opinion.

Have a good day, everyone.

Comments

• Just for info : I know Koala app, I like this app but I think I can’t really modify the samples I recorded... but I really love the idea behind the app !

• AudioShare is what a lot of people use sample housekeeping tasks.

• An(y) iPad can only record by the 'internal' microphone - which actually is an array of multiple MEMS microphones of fairly high quality.

There is no physical line input so the usual way is to connect a class-compliant USB audio interface. This interface defines your recording quality, the iPad just records the digital output of the interface with zero loss.

You may invest anything between $10 and $2k. Solid quality is about $100-200, up the $500 range it's studio quality if you intend microphone recording.
    For 'sampling' (recording from an e-drum or external drum/synth) you don't need high quality mic input and can save significantly on the recording section.
    But (important): interfaces with better microphone input usually feature better converters and monitor output (which is essential for mixing), so it may be worth investing a bit more.

That's the easy part, software and workflow is slightly more complex because a lot of different options exist.

• @Iaminonsiner said:
    Hello, guys!

I've been thinking about making music on my Ipad Pro for a few days and I'm here to ask questions about it and for today, my question is:

• A recording app

Do you know of any good applications like this? Is the dictaphone by default in the ipad pro good enough to record my samples?

To then modify these samples ( for example a clap) do you know of any good applications to do this? Modify the pitch, attack, length, punch, frequencies and other things ?

Are there any apps where I can do all this in one app? Save a sample and modify it directly, overlay samples...?

After that, I would like to have my drums library full of my drums and maybe share them for free.

If you want a good all-in-one app for sampling, cutting, mapping and adding fx then NanoStudio 2 or BeatMaker 3 are likely the best options.
    NS2 seems to be the more user-friendly of the two.
    Both Slate and Obsidian (the instruments inside NS2) support velocity-layered and -switched drums.
    AudioShare is very limited in audio file editing so if you need to go more sophisticated you might use something like TwistedWave as an external audio editor.

• So you're looking just to make drums /percussions ? Or are you looking to get synths too?

Patterning 2 lets you sequence and modify your drums samples, it's my fav app on iOS ☺️

• Beatmaker 3 is a sampling powerhouse, but I never really got into it due to the workflow not gelling with me/occasional crashes. Nanostudio 2 lacks time stretching (at least currently?), but Slate is far easier to use and the workflow more straightforward. Plus Obsidian and the built-in effects are perfect for synthesizing drums if that's part of what you're looking for.

• Thank you guys.

1. > @reasOne said:
      > So you're looking just to make drums /percussions ? Or are you looking to get synths too?
      >
      > Patterning 2 lets you sequence and modify your drums samples, it's my fav app on iOS ☺️

I just want to make drums, nothing more.

@rs2000 said:

@Iaminonsiner said:
    Hello, guys!

• A recording app

If you want a good all-in-one app for sampling, cutting, mapping and adding fx then NanoStudio 2 or BeatMaker 3 are likely the best options.
    Both Slate and Obsidian (the instruments inside NS2) support velocity-layered and -switched drums.
    AudioShare is very limited in audio file editing so if you need to go more sophisticated you might use something like TwistedWave as an external audio editor.

I work on Cubasis so... do you know app ( not daw ) like the beatmaker 3 ‘’ sample editor ‘’ ?

However, do you brusfri ? This is an reducer noise app and I think it’s good to clean samples, what do you think ?

I tried to record sounds directly in cubasis but I think I can have better way to do that, not a daw way I mean ( like bm3 or ns2)

• @Iaminonsiner said:
    Thank you guys.

1. > @reasOne said:
      > So you're looking just to make drums /percussions ? Or are you looking to get synths too?
      >
      > Patterning 2 lets you sequence and modify your drums samples, it's my fav app on iOS ☺️

@rs2000 said:

@Iaminonsiner said:
    Hello, guys!

• A recording app

I work on Cubasis so... do you know app ( not daw ) like the beatmaker 3 ‘’ sample editor ‘’ ?

However, do you brusfri ? This is an reducer noise app and I think it’s good to clean samples, what do you think ?

I tried to record sounds directly in cubasis but I think I can have better way to do that, not a daw way I mean ( like bm3 or ns2)

Like said, TwistedWave is a sample editor and it supports the brusfri AUv3 plugin too. To capture a noise profile you open brusfri in TwistedWave, hit preview and tap on the "Learn" button to capture the noise profile. It's a good idea to record some leeway with your samples so you have enough time to capture the noise only.

• Like said, TwistedWave is a sample editor and it supports the brusfri AUv3 plugin too. To capture a noise profile you open brusfri in TwistedWave, hit preview and tap on the "Learn" button to capture the noise profile. It's a good idea to record some leeway with your samples so you have enough time to capture the noise only.

Sorry friend, I will take a look about Twistedwave soon, thank you. I just find a app ‘’ Hokusai 2 ‘’ where I can record and edit samples, he’s great, I will test him more

• @Iaminonsiner said:

Like said, TwistedWave is a sample editor and it supports the brusfri AUv3 plugin too. To capture a noise profile you open brusfri in TwistedWave, hit preview and tap on the "Learn" button to capture the noise profile. It's a good idea to record some leeway with your samples so you have enough time to capture the noise only.

Sorry friend, I will take a look about Twistedwave soon, thank you. I just find a app ‘’ Hokusai 2 ‘’ where I can record and edit samples, he’s great, I will test him more

Twisted Wave is excellent.

Other apps that may be of interest;

• AUM - it is a mixer and can record and lets you chain AUs whose results you can record
    • There are some good compression and eq AUs that could be helpful for treating your samples (I.e. distortion) AUs such as the 4Pockets EQ and Blue Mangoo's compressor and parametric EQ
    • there are quite a few interesting filter and distortion AUs that might be interesting to you. Ask for recommendations if those sorts of processes are of interest
    • AudioShare is an invaluable tool. You can record and store audio files in it. Many use it as the central repository for their samples.
  • @reasOne said:
    So you're looking just to make drums /percussions ? Or are you looking to get synths too?

Patterning 2 lets you sequence and modify your drums samples, it's my fav app on iOS ☺️

Agreed - there is really no need to do your own sampling to create drums on iOS - just use the many excellent synths to roll yer own.

• This: Hokusai Audio Editor by Wooji Juice Ltd.
    This: AudioShare by Kymatica AB
    This is pretty much what I use for trimming, normalizing purposes. A whole slew of processors for the rest of the process.

• @Morgman73 said:
    This: Hokusai Audio Editor by Wooji Juice Ltd.
    This: AudioShare by Kymatica AB
    This is pretty much what I use for trimming, normalizing purposes. A whole slew of processors for the rest of the process.

Does Hokusai support file processing using AUv3?

• The way I sort my own samples (collected, recorded, whatever) is to save folders of sounds. I save bits and pieces, hits and loops in iCloud Drive.

You can use lots of different apps to save the samples. Most DAws can do it easily.

It’s then quite quick to dump a load of samples into any apps’ sampler to make a quick kit.

As good as the samplers in BM3 and Ns2 are, they are closed shops and it can be irritating not to be able to use those kits/presets elsewhere.

I spent quite a bit of time making kits in BM3 a while back and now that I don’t use BM3 anymore, they’re all gone. But I have the samples saved and fairly well organised so it’s not too much of a ball ache to remake simple kits.

I’ve recently been using Chameleon a bit as it’s an auv3 sampler and can be used in all the daws. It’s simple but Ian more enough to make quick drum kits for sequencing.

• If you don’t need velocity layers then AudioCopy app ,plus Beat-Machine app

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beat-machine/id505825861?mt=8

are enough. (&free :) )

• @rs2000 said:

@Iaminonsiner said:
    Thank you guys.

1. > @reasOne said:
      >

@rs2000 said:

@Iaminonsiner said:
    Hello, guys!

• A recording app

Use Brusfri to Get Only the Sounds you want in a Sample:

1. Use TwistedWave to isolate the sound you’re trying to remove and export it as a file to AudioShare
    2. Load the noise file into AUM’s file player and loop it.
    3. Sample it into Brusfri by pressing the ear button in the app.
    4. Load the original sample into file player, run it through Brusfri, and record the results.

A similar workflow could be created with other apps using Brusfri.

• edited July 2019

Have you considered a drum synthesis app like SeekBeats to help make your drum sounds more 'your own'? Obviously this depends on the kind of music you're making and the sounds you're after. In addition to samples rather than replacing.

• Also Audiolayer is a great, full featured sampler. I like it quite a bit.

• edited July 2019

AudioLayer is my favorite “serious” sampler on iOS, for building impressive multi-sampled instruments. It has a built in recorder, that you can trim/crop the sound you just recorded.

You name the sample after you recorded it. It is easy to export the samples and you can do all of that kind of stuff in batches.

You can alter the pitch, and envelope in all of the samples, filter, layer the sounds, but I’m not sure if you can bake those changes into the samples, which is essentially re-sampling. You can always play into AudioShare, and then chop up those sounds pretty easily.

• Do you use SynthJacker with AudioLayer?

@Processaurus said:
    AudioLayer is my favorite “serious” sampler on iOS, for building impressive multi-sampled instruments. It has a built in recorder, that you can trim/crop the sound you just recorded.

You name the sample after you recorded it. It is easy to export the samples and you can do all of that kind of stuff in batches.

You can alter the pitch, and envelope in all of the samples, filter, layer the sounds, but I’m not sure if you can bake those changes into the samples, which is essentially re-sampling. You can always play into AudioShare, and then chop up those sounds pretty easily.

• @Processaurus said:

AudioLayer does not support meta information in WAV files but you can make the root key and the velocity level part of the file name. When importing, AL will map the samples to the right position in the keymap automatically. IMHO that works much better than messing with EXS24 banks.
    Most other settings like envelope, filter, modulation can be adjusted per layer for all samples anyway.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Do you use SynthJacker with AudioLayer?

Yes.

• Twisted Wave is the most advanced app sample diddling and tweaking.

Must have.