Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modal Skulpt & App - Live Stream Demo

Kind of Off-Topic, kind of on topic.
Very cool little synth with a lot of hidden power and an ideal companion app that works perfectly with your iPad and all other platforms forms including Android.

Comments

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    Kind of Off-Topic, kind of on topic.
    Very cool little synth with a lot of hidden power and an ideal companion app that works perfectly with your iPad and all other platforms forms including Android.

I just got this and a little craft rhythm drum machine by the same maker. Why aren’t more people talking about this? I’m using it with AUM In order to be more efficient with DSP on the iPad 6

• Is that hardware? Really? I'm trying to sneak a $129 app bundle onto the credit card this month.
    I'm $40 in so far.

• I just got this synthesizer and also their drum machine kit. I’ve acquired a disability and depend on touchscreens, because my individual fingers are paralyzed.

I’m trying to understand why more people aren’t talking about this little DSP synthesizer. I’m trying to lighten my DSP load when using AUM and figured I’d give this little guy a try.

• Can't help it but when ever I hear 'DSP Synth & Hardware' I always feel like, 'That should've been an app or a plug-in'.
    I doubt that the DSP chip in the Modal thing is more powerful than an iPad :)

I'm so looking forward to the Mutable Instrument AUv3 mentioned in another thread...

• @DWP510 said:
    I just got this synthesizer and also their drum machine kit. I’ve acquired a disability and depend on touchscreens, because my individual fingers are paralyzed.

I’m trying to understand why more people aren’t talking about this little DSP synthesizer. I’m trying to lighten my DSP load when using AUM and figured I’d give this little guy a try.

I can't speak for others but the only situation I might consider such a synth would be an iPad-less setup. Otherwise, what would Skulpt add to the great iOS synths we already have?
    Even Groove Rider alone is a much, much more powerful synth.

• edited June 2019

@thesoundtestroom , @rs2000 is right about this. There are plenty of IOS apps that can do the same. Yes, as a standalone it might be something but i.c.w. a iPad, no.

• @rs2000 said:

@DWP510 said:
    I just got this synthesizer and also their drum machine kit. I’ve acquired a disability and depend on touchscreens, because my individual fingers are paralyzed.

I can't speak for others but the only situation I might consider such a synth would be an iPad-less setup. Otherwise, what would Skulpt add to the great iOS synths we already have?
    Even Groove Rider alone is a much, much more powerful synth.

@Pierre118 said:
    @thesoundtestroom , @rs2000 is right about this. There are plenty of IOS apps that can do the same. Yes, as a standalone it might be something but i.c.w. a iPad, no.

Here’s my logic around this and please correct me if I’m thinking about this all wrong. I have a workstation, separate from my MacBook Pro/ iPad Pro plus synth. Workstation; the table currently is the $300 iPad from last year plus SKULPT and Craft rhythm. When working on a set on the regular smaller iPad, I run into DSP spikes. I figured that having some hardware and controlling it from the app editors and AUM for discrete channel Separation, would be a powerful way to go separation, would be a powerful way to go.

I find that anytime I use more than iOS synthesizer app, a drum machine and AUv3 controllers, I have reached a DSP limit.

It’s sounding to me like I need to return these devices.

I’m physically disabled with quadriplegia which includes paralyzed individual fingers, so I am dependent exclusively on touchscreens as controllers. I never run synthesizers in standalone mode, as I am usually depending on some type of dark I never run synthesizer is in standalone mode, as I am usually dependent on some type of DAW for my workflow.

• @DWP510 said:
    I find that anytime I use more than iOS synthesizer app, a drum machine and AUv3 controllers, I have reached a DSP limit.

Sounds like there's something wrong in your setup.
    Depending on what synth you choose, the amount of possible instances without getting crackles can be in the range of over 50 instances on an iPad 6 and the interesting part of it is that it often does not necessarily relate to sound quality.
    Take The Viking Synth vs. the Moog Model D for example. Both are great-sounding Minimoog emulations but their CPU load couldn't be more different.
    Model 3: Max. 3 instances without crackles
    Viking: Max. 15 instances without crackles

It’s sounding to me like I need to return these devices.

I’m physically disabled with quadriplegia which includes paralyzed individual fingers, so I am dependent exclusively on touchscreens as controllers. I never run synthesizers in standalone mode, as I am usually depending on some type of dark I never run synthesizer is in standalone mode, as I am usually dependent on some type of DAW for my workflow.

You're the only one who really knows what works for you. Integrating hardware with an iDevice can be fun but I don't personally see the point of adding a hardware synth that doesn't really sound better than selected iOS synths with tiny knobs that are just as fiddly to operate as knobs shown on a glass surface, for which you only need one finger.
    A hardware Moog is certainly different, not because its sound would be impossible on iOS to have but much more because playing and tweaking it live is usually a great experience.

• @Samu said:
    Can't help it but when ever I hear 'DSP Synth & Hardware' I always feel like, 'That should've been an app or a plug-in'.

I'm so looking forward to the Mutable Instrument AUv3 mentioned in another thread...

This is literally the exact words in my head as I'm here, a couple months away from buying my 1st synth. I considered the Skulpt DSP initially, considered the polyphony (woohoo), but then thought "YO, THIS IS AN AU in a £300 BOX! ZEEON CAN KILL THIS". I'm massively torn on a synth decision now, but I think I've 97% decided AGAINST the Skulpt. I'm more partial to the Microfreak if I'm going digital osc.

• @ph8aerror said:

@Samu said:
    Can't help it but when ever I hear 'DSP Synth & Hardware' I always feel like, 'That should've been an app or a plug-in'.

This is literally the exact words in my head as I'm here, a couple months away from buying my 1st synth. I considered the Skulpt DSP initially, considered the polyphony (woohoo), but then thought "YO, THIS IS AN AU in a £300 BOX! ZEEON CAN KILL THIS". I'm massively torn on a synth decision now, but I think I've 97% decided AGAINST the Skulpt. I'm more partial to the Microfreak if I'm going digital osc.

Yeah, I was quite hesitant before I got the Volca Drum which is DSP and wondered, when will it pop up as a Gadet? :D

I can’t cope with the MicroFreak keyboard so it didn’t come with me home from the store.

Guess I’m too comfy with software and in some cases a controller with knobs...

• Thanks everyone for your input. I wish I had consulted the forum before purchasing these devices.

• @DWP510 said:
    Thanks everyone for your input. I wish I had consulted the forum before purchasing these devices.

We call it GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome - First buy then reflect) and most of us have more or less suffered from its consequences in the past :D

• edited July 2019

I know exactly what goes on inside a softsynth and I know how powerful and flexible software can be. Yet I still see added value in some synths having a physical formfactor. If only to be able to tweak them without having a screen firing tractor-beams at my eyeballs. And a MIDI controller simply isn't the same.

It's nice to be able to work with fingers and ears and nothing else every now and then. :)

• @brambos which 'synths having a physical formfactor' do you mean?

• @brambos said:
    ...And a MIDI controller simply isn't the same.

It's nice to be able to work with fingers and ears and nothing else every now and then. :)

I definitely agree. I've gotten as far as having my Minilab2 auto routed to the Filters and Envelopes in my fav synths. But I really would like to work with one box for sound design.

• this synth sounds great at least on youtube!! i might get it despite being dsp i’m kinda burnt on ipad and need a break..
    did anyone else pick this up??
    i’m debating between it, the circuit mono, argon 8, and a few others

• @reasOne : Model:Samples is looking pretty cool to me at it’s current price and because of it’s (Almost) one knob per function tweaking loveliness at the moment:

• edited September 2020

Had Craft Synth 2.0 for a while (sold it just to fund Digitakt) and it sounds amazing, and same goes for Skulpt.I got very good kick, snares, hihats, even great clap from Craft, it has very sharp fast envelopes, basses are just gigantic, FM/Cross modulations are sounding better than anything available on iOS. Skulpt is same just with small differences in oscillator section.. great synth, one of few DSP hw synths which are still worth to buy... Don't know about any iOS synth capable to replace it in combined terms of easy to use, sound quality and modulation capabilities...

• edited February 2021

Hi, sorry to revive this thread, but the craft synth 2.0 should be visible in AUM right? Because I don't see mine, neither in aum or audiobus. I do see it in the modal app though, where I did the latest firmware update.

Edit: seeing as hardware input

• @brambos said:
    I know exactly what goes on inside a softsynth and I know how powerful and flexible software can be. Yet I still see added value in some synths having a physical formfactor. If only to be able to tweak them without having a screen firing tractor-beams at my eyeballs. And a MIDI controller simply isn't the same.

This.

• edited February 2021

Gear is fun - buying gear is fun. Everybody needs fun!