Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 is now available!

Hello everyone,

I'm very happy to announce the immediate availability of Xequence 2.0.0.

Xequence 2 represents a major milestone in the development of our mobile MIDI workstation. It takes everything that users loved from Xequence 1, and makes it all even more efficient, more robust and faster, while also adding many significant new features.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1464669442?mt=8

We thought Xequence also deserved a shiny new website, so there's that:

http://seven.systems/xequence2/

Existing Xequence users: Here's what's new in Xequence 2:

http://seven.systems/xequence2/en/new-in-2/

Report any issues, comments and suggestions here, I'll be happy to answer any questions and consider all input for improvements!

Happy composing!

Comments

• Woot. Bought!!!

• Congratulations!

• Congrats! Bought.

• @SevenSystems said:

Happy composing!

oh. I thought that said “Happy composting” and I was reminded of The Beethoven decomposing joke. 😜

Yayyyyy! Ima gonna go get it right now!

• It is a really beautiful app.

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@audio_DT said: (In a different thread...)

@wim said:

@audio_DT said:
    It’s a shame that it can’t be more integrated with AUM, and that it’s not an auv3.

Well, it’s not officially supported, but you can load it in AUM. It just doesn’t have the IAA app switcher that would let you pop back to AUM from Xequence without the home button or up-swipe thing. But you can pop into Xequence 2 from AUM, and the routing options for midi are all there.

Yes, definitely. I'm sure that once I'm used to doing it this way (using AUM and swiping the bar at the bottom to switch apps) it will become second nature. We're being spoiled with the AUV3s - makes us lazy, unforgiving mofos! But I am forgiving of it, in reality, because xequence does work very nicely with AUM, aside from the app-swapping stuff. Cheers.

It’s worth mentioning that its pretty simple to “record” an Atom piano roll session into Xequence if building up parts is easier that way. All you need do is enable the routing into Xequence and enable multi-track recording (two right-pointing arrows at the top-right). I like to enable Link Start/Stop, then press record in Xequence, which auto-starts AUM/Atom, adds the tracks and records the midi. This is a great way to park stuff for later arrangement without having to keep track of multiple Atom windows. Just a thought...

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

Favorite not-so-obvious new feature: import MIDI clips directly to the timeline. :) It’s on the little “+” button at the bottom left in timeline view.

Or, simply use the “Share” pop up from files app to bring it straight in.

• @wim said:

@wim said:

@audio_DT said:
    It’s a shame that it can’t be more integrated with AUM, and that it’s not an auv3.

Well, it’s not officially supported, but you can load it in AUM. It just doesn’t have the IAA app switcher that would let you pop back to AUM from Xequence without the home button or up-swipe thing. But you can pop into Xequence 2 from AUM, and the routing options for midi are all there.

Yes, definitely. I'm sure that once I'm used to doing it this way (using AUM and swiping the bar at the bottom to switch apps) it will become second nature. We're being spoiled with the AUV3s - makes us lazy, unforgiving mofos! But I am forgiving of it, in reality, because xequence does work very nicely with AUM, aside from the app-swapping stuff. Cheers.

It’s worth mentioning that its pretty simple to “record” an Atom piano roll session into Xequence if building up parts is easier that way. All you need do is enable the routing into Xequence and enable multi-track recording (two right-pointing arrows at the top-right). I like to enable Link Start/Stop, then press record in Xequence, which auto-starts AUM/Atom, adds the tracks and records the midi. This is a great way to park stuff for later arrangement without having to keep track of multiple Atom windows. Just a thought...

... and when recording multiple tracks from other apps or gear, the new "time stretching" feature can help tremendously fitting everything back on the grid, even without any synchronisation between MIDI source and Xequence.

• Anyone know if Xequence controls are midi-mappable? Record/arm/ undo/ redo/ clip selection? Just trying to wrap my mind around this ...

• Very first minute I was wondering, "OK, so this is basically the same as the first version, with virtually no difference". After a few minutes: "This is feckin' lovely - so easy, so classy, so easy to use." Loving it so far, even though I've only spent a few minutes with it. One 'issue' I'm having is that the bottom bar on my 2018 iPad Pro disappears when using Xequence, meaning that I have to change apps by doing the five finger scroll thingy. Maybe there's a setting I've not sussed out yet for that. But so far so good - aesthetically, it's a subtle yet very significant improvement on v1. Nice one, @SevenSystems.

• @Hmtx said:
    Anyone know if Xequence controls are midi-mappable? Record/arm/ undo/ redo/ clip selection? Just trying to wrap my mind around this ...

Never really thought about it. I just load it in AB3 then use AB3’s midi learn for its transport controls.

• @wim said:

^^ This might be the missing link for me. I never really figured out how to go from a ”noodling” AUM workflow to an arrangement. Now off to buy X2 and try to parse what ”enable the routing into Xequence” means in AUM language. :wink:

And congrats @SevenSystems - awesome to see how your vision is progressing towards the ultimate iPad DAW :)

• What would Xequence bring to the table for me? I mainly work on AUM (occasionally BM3) with Fuegue Machine, Atom, and Rozeta. I sequence internal synths and hardware via MIDI Out. Is Xequence basically just a MIDI DAW? Can it host AU3? Do I just use it in conjunction with AUM as my sequencer and it's routed to my various AUM channels or midi utilities?

• The best just got amazing!!!

Awesome! Thanks @SevenSystems
    Congrats and good luck, mate!

• @wim said:

@wim said:

@audio_DT said:

Definitely - I know that one and mentioned it on a thread somewhere today, I think. I like the potential workflow. Xequence 2 is blowing me away so far, in a 'simplicity is perfection' kind of a way. Early days, but brilliant so far :-)

• @slicetwo said:
    What would Xequence bring to the table for me? I mainly work on AUM (occasionally BM3) with Fuegue Machine, Atom, and Rozeta. I sequence internal synths and hardware via MIDI Out. Is Xequence basically just a MIDI DAW? Can it host AU3? Do I just use it in conjunction with AUM as my sequencer and it's routed to my various AUM channels or midi utilities?

Yes, you summarized it very well -- it really is made for that. Maybe others can chime in as well.

@Peblin said:
    And congrats @SevenSystems - awesome to see how your vision is progressing towards the ultimate iPad DAW :)

Thanks! More like "the ultimate iPad sequencer" for now, but the DAW part is intriguing! :)

@audio_DT said:
    After a few minutes: "This is feckin' lovely - so easy, so classy, so easy to use." Loving it so far, even though I've only spent a few minutes with it. One 'issue' I'm having is that the bottom bar on my 2018 iPad Pro disappears when using Xequence, meaning that I have to change apps by doing the five finger scroll thingy. Maybe there's a setting I've not sussed out yet for that. But so far so good - aesthetically, it's a subtle yet very significant improvement on v1. Nice one, @SevenSystems.

Thanks :) You should really take a look at the Changelog, there's more to it than meets the eye :)

http://seven.systems/xequence2/en/new-in-2/

Regarding the bottom bar: does it disappear COMPLETELY or is it just dimmed, so that you have to swipe up twice? (that would be intentional). It's always a difficult decision between "ease of switching" and "stop iOS from interfering with keyboard playing, etc.)

@Hmtx said:
    Anyone know if Xequence controls are midi-mappable? Record/arm/ undo/ redo/ clip selection? Just trying to wrap my mind around this ...

You can "emulate" some of this via Audiobus as @wim has mentioned -- but "proper" support for MIDI mapping of important Xequence controls is on the roadmap, I just want to collect more input from users first so I can come up with a good implementation.

• @slicetwo said:
    What would Xequence bring to the table for me? I mainly work on AUM (occasionally BM3) with Fuegue Machine, Atom, and Rozeta. I sequence internal synths and hardware via MIDI Out. Is Xequence basically just a MIDI DAW? Can it host AU3? Do I just use it in conjunction with AUM as my sequencer and it's routed to my various AUM channels or midi utilities?

Basically the latter, i.e. it can sequence all your AUM stuff in one place, in a nice DAW environment. And the new version, which I'm just playing with now, is a massive productivity improvement on v1, as far as I can tell so far. It's well worth the investment, in my opinion, and I can now finally see that this should be my main sequencer, which I'll use with AUM as the 'engine'. As a noodler myself, I love AUM, but I do get a bit frustrated sometimes with not being able to finish a track - enter Xequence 2.

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@slicetwo said:

The main advantage for you could be for capturing those ideas from the AU midi apps so that they can be turned from a Jam into a Song. Yes, it’s like a MIDI DAW. No It can’t host AUv3. Yes, you could use it in conjunction with AUM as your sequencer. That’s the best answer I can give.

I have found that I’ve been using it more than Atom lately simply because, while slightly more workflow to set up, I do more with what I capture when it’s in an arranger.

• @SevenSystems said:

Regarding the bottom bar: does it disappear COMPLETELY or is it just dimmed, so that you have to swipe up twice? (that would be intentional). It's always a difficult decision between "ease of switching" and "stop iOS from interfering with keyboard playing, etc.)

It's dimmed. Is there an option to un-dim it? For me, as a non-keyboard player, I'd be using a midi chords player (KB-1, Chordpolyapp, ChordPadx, etc.), so there wouldn't be the problem - for me, at least - of the bottom bar getting in the way. As for checking out the other new stuff - yes, I'm just reading the changelog :-)

• @audio_DT said:

@SevenSystems said:

It's dimmed. Is there an option to un-dim it? For me, as a non-keyboard player, I'd be using a midi chords player (KB-1, Chordpolyapp, ChordPadx, etc.), so there wouldn't be the problem - for me, at least - of the bottom bar getting in the way. As for checking out the other new stuff - yes, I'm just reading the changelog :-)

I can add that to the list for investigation, it might be possible to make this a user setting.

• @audio_DT said:

@SevenSystems said:

I highly suggest checking out Xequence and your chord apps loaded inside AB3. There you have instant access to app switching always visible, or even midi mappable to your controller, if you have one.

• There are no words.... fantastic job! And the documentation is stellar. You not only described it, you went above and beyond and showed it’s integration with our other most useful apps. I’m sure glad this is a holiday weekend here. I have to go make a phone call to the friends who invited me for a bbq that I’m too ill to attend...

• @motmeister said:
    There are no words.... fantastic job! And the documentation is stellar. You not only described it, you went above and beyond and showed it’s integration with our other most useful apps. I’m sure glad this is a holiday weekend here. I have to go make a phone call to the friends who invited me for a bbq that I’m too ill to attend...

Thanks, that's the best feedback on Xequence 2 so far! :D

Yes, significant work went into making a full manual this time (Xequence 1 only had its "Quickstart Guide" which left a bit to be desired). Although you will find the app has a lot of in-app help as well as you go along. (if you find anything in the documentation that's outdated regarding third-party apps, be sure to let me know, it's sometimes hard to keep it all current).

Also @ everyone: If you have come to the conclusion that you like Xequence 2, please leave a review on the App Store as well, as this is a new app, so all our old reviews (which were stellar -- thank you!) cannot be carried over.

• Congrats for the release @SevenSystems ! 👍
    Instantly bought Xequence 2, very excited!

😊

• Bought immediately based on wim’s recommendation.

• Interesting, Does it record and play back MPE midi (such as from a sensel morph or roli seaboard) correctly?

• Both folders in files app are labelled Xequence so can be a little confusing when you have both versions installed, but I guess that’s just the way it is cuz technically it’s the same app?

• One thing I’m really enjoying in NS2 is how it created separate midi lanes for different takes; don’t know maybe I’m not explaining correctly but I wonder if the new version has something similar?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.