Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Air 3 or pro 11” ?

Phone contract is up soon so am gonna upgrade my old iPad . iPad 3 air for £12 pm or pro 11” for £20..... thing is I’m concerned about connection difficulties I read somewhere a while back regarding pro 😳😳😳 Appreciate any advise
:0)~~

Comments

• I'm not sure about connectability issues, but the iPad Pro 11" might be the better iPad to get since it'll be more powerful. Then again, the iPad Air 3 has the headphone jack, and if you need the jack, that's the one to get. With either one, 256gb seems to be the sweet spot for storage (at least for me), although everybody's storage needs will vary.

• tjatja
    edited June 2019

I love the Air 3 sooooooo much!
    Best iPad ever, for non-Pro.

Home Button!
    Touch ID!
    Lightning Port!
    Headphone connector!

But....

Somehow Apple made ONE massive mistake:

The speakers are like on an iPhone - both at the small side where the home button is.

That means, you cannot even watch a movie on this, or a YT video, or just hear some music - without using headphone.

All sound - in landscape mode, as normal - will just come from one side!

This is simply ridiculous.
    I call it even stupid.

Wanted to have a gap to the Pro?
    Just add 2, not 4 speakers - but PLEASE on both sides!!!

• +1 for the Air. it's one of the best for music production. it's had none of the problems the ipad pro had, and it has a better battery life and none of the heat issues the pro has. AND of course.. headphone jack!
    running BM3, Gadget, Cubasis, synths, drum machines daily and it never has a problem. highly recommended

• Another vote for the iPad Air 3.

• I recently puchased an 11” iPad Pro 256gb and I’ll give another vote for the Air 3. Kicking myself for not getting that. I love the folio keyboard and usb-c on the pro but the audio performance is dreadful. Clicking and popping with one instance of Stark (there’s another disappointment...) in AUM for instance. I don’t find a real benefit for audio production over my old iPad mini outside of battery life and the increased storage capacity.

• Just got a ipad 3 air, had the air 2 (32g) for about 5 years which was a fantastic device but began slowing down.
    Tried the ipad pro a few months back but returned it; having to change everything to usb c and no headphone jack was really bothering me. Hearing the release of the air 3 I was psyched. They made a great machine even better. So happy apple stuck with the air-line 😀

To note I got the 64g which is plenty for my use; sound design synth scapes, generative ambient etc.

-good luck

• About a week ago I bought a 2018 Pro 11”, 825$ US.
    Compared side by side with my Air2 both on latest iOS, buffer set at 512.
    In AUM as AU’s: Bassalicious 2, isymphonic, 2 instances of Model 15, Funk Drummer (IAA) all with a mixbus master volume.

Heavy crackles on the Air2 right away, 11” Pro clean as a whistle and stayed that way.
    If it matters to you the CPU in the Air2 was up over 100% and the Pro hovered at 35%.
    In the Pro I put that same set up in AUM in the input slot of AB with GTL in the output and added 1 instance of Pure Synth to try and push it a little more. Still perfect.

Not sure why others are having problems with the Pro but I thought I would share my positive experience so far. Hope it stays that way cause I’m loving this thing.

• Ben, I’m encouraged to hear you are loving the 11” pro. I got so fed up with mine it’s been sitting unopened for a couple of weeks while I just do stuff on my 8 plus. I got the iPad solely for music production so I’d love to hear if you have any ideas why mine might be having trouble? Did you do any tweaks to yours or it has always been solid?

• Hey @spiteface. I haven’t made any tweaks out of the ordinary.
    Sorry if I’m stating the obvious but make sure that it’s in airplane mode, all unused apps are closed completely and again I had the buffer set at 512in AUM. Try turning your device off completely before a session.
    I went into one of my old sessions in Group the Loop and added several effects plug-ins and everything ran great.
    Also this is without the iPad being hooked up to an audio interface.
    I was going to wait on buying one to make sure that the iPad performed the way I wanted it to.
    If there is anything that you want me to try to replicate here I will as long as I have the same apps.

• Using the Pro 11" here as well and very happy with it. Haven't had any of the audio issues other people seem to have, mine's been working fine since day one. I do tend to favor self-containted music apps though, versus running a lot of them in AUM or Audiobus FWIW.

• Thanks for all the advice everyone , think I’m leaning towards air 3 as the better over all deal vs device ... I’m using it purely for music production so thinking it ticks the most right boxes for me 😁 plus i can upgrade the hd and it will still come under the price of the basic pro package 😁🎵😁#winning :0)~~

• Just to maybe push you over the edge, I have a Pro 11" and wish I got the Air 3. The Pro has been great overall, and I'm not getting the crackling issues early adopters encountered either, so it's not a major regret or anything. But the lack of a headphone port is more annoying than I expected.

Having to get out a dongle is a minor hassle (and I had audio issues with two different hubs). Even worse is that iOS is limited to just one USB audio device, so you can't have an instrument funneling audio in over USB and still use your headphones, which you can do with AudioBus + a headphone jack.

If you mostly use your iPad at a desk with an audio interface, this is a non-issue of course. But if you use it on the go it can be a bit of a pain.

• edited July 2019

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    I'm not sure about connectability issues, but the iPad Pro 11" might be the better iPad to get since it'll be more powerful.

Actually, for music apps - not at all. Or not equally to it's price, in terms of CPU power Pro 11 is just around 6% more powerful than Air 3 / Mini 5 if i good remember (6 - 8, definitely it was less than 10% based on single core benchmarks)

In terms of memory - one more GB of memory totally doesn't matter in most cases for audio apps.

• @Tarekith. What interface are you using with your Pro.

• @dendy. I bought my son the Air3 for his birthday. He’s a PC gamer so kind of selective when it comes to processing power.
    It’s primarily for drawing and he doesn’t make music on it or own any music apps.
    Might be fun to have him download some free ones (GB comes to mind) and do a side by side.
    Can you think of any free music apps that are a little cpu hungry?

• Does everyone use a pro or air3?

I'm starting to feel like the odd one out here, bought a standard iPad (2018, 128gb) and I'm maxing out the cpu very easily running Cubasis with a few AUs.

I guess it'll make me keep things nice and minimal :)

• edited July 2019

@Ben said:
    @dendy. I bought my son the Air3 for his birthday. He’s a PC gamer so kind of selective when it comes to processing power.

aah games are completely different topic, cause games are fully utilising multicore performance and also GPU performance... Multicore performance of 2018 pro models is significanrly better than Air3

music apps are different story, they use for most of their performance just single cpu core, and single core cpu performance of Pro and iPad3 is almost same

Can you think of any free music apps that are a little cpu hungry?

For examole Moog Model D :-) just try load into AUm more instances, if i good remember you should be able to run around 8-9 instance on both Pro and Air3 until you start getting crackles

• I have the 1-“ pro and it’s unstoppable.

• I got my 11” Pro around Christmas time, love it and haven’t had problems but I would have bought an Air 3 if it was out at the same time. I’d like a headphone jack, prefer Touch ID to Face ID and as the Pro cost so much I just can’t get mentally comfortable using it. Sounds stupid but there it is. And I bought three year damage insurance!

• @Ben said:
    @Tarekith. What interface are you using with your Pro.

Normally just headphones with the Apple USB-C adaptor, though I've had good luck with a Dragonfly Red too when I need better quality while out and about.

In the studio I hook it up to my Lynx Hilo via a Pluggable USB3 hub, works fine there too.

• @Tarekith said:

@Ben said:
    @Tarekith. What interface are you using with your Pro.

Normally just headphones with the Apple USB-C adaptor, though I've had good luck with a Dragonfly Red too when I need better quality while out and about.

In the studio I hook it up to my Lynx Hilo via a Pluggable USB3 hub, works fine there too.

Thanks for the response. That Lynx is about 5,000 more than I wanted to spend though.😁

• I only have one because I'm a mastering engineer, it's way overkill for most musicians definitely! :o

• @Tarekith said:
    I do tend to favor self-containted music apps though, versus running a lot of them in AUM or Audiobus FWIW.

Still using Gadget? If so, how’s the battery usage?

• No, these days I tend to use KEW instead.

• I really love the 11” screen. It makes a huge difference coming from a 9.7” screen.