Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I like iOS, but its so darn limiting for even simple tasks.

I dont feel like writing this out, I’ve had many issues doing simple things in iOS that would of took seconds on a desktop...

Ill just throw a few examples

Routing audio from youtube into garage band, so I can record the audio playing and sing karaoke over it

Only being able to have like 1 app open at once

iOS not being able to multitask, like TBH this is the whole problem

iOS is for opening one thing, and staying within that one thing. There’s no leaving the walled space that u have open, and no connecting external things to it.

Desktop is like a fully customizable space, where you can link anything to anything easily

that right there is my argument right now. It feels so limiting working on iOS.

Some stuff

Browsing the internet for information is so slow, on desktop i use mouse to open 100 tabs, Ctrl+alt+w to close tabs, ctrl+s, ctrl+a to go back n forth between tabs. I get through all of them in 5 mins.

Clip studio paint, same as desktop version, but opening reference images, and arranging them, and opening up a tab to reference items, while drawing is so much of a hassle on iOS...

On desktop you could just have all the tabs there, easily switch to them, open up a 3D program, pose and screenshot, paste into new window. It’s just so much faster workflow...

There’s so much more, its just so annoying, i get frustrated everytime I try to make stuff on iOS

But i fuking love that its so simple same time, argh.

Comments

• edited July 2019

so what do you use audiobus for?
    I wish it was a walled space, that way devs wouldn't think it's ok for you to go down the street and around the corner just to get some midi, or sample import etc... but alas this Is not the case, there's all kinds of connectivity going on, get you some audiobus , some Aum, or better yet a big ole iOS daw and a ticket to AU hell and you'll be fine :) , you'll feel just like you're back on the desktop again.

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

You might as well state up front if you’re looking for

• Sympathy?
    • Someone to convince you otherwise?
    • Companionship with other like minded people?
    • Help with the issues you mentioned?
    • Someone just to listen?
    • An argument?

Prolly save a lot of anguish.

• @wim said:
    You might as well state up front if you’re looking for

• Sympathy?
    • Someone to convince you otherwise?
    • Companionship with other like minded people?
    • Help with the issues you mentioned?
    • Someone just to listen?
    • An argument?

Prolly save a lot of anguish.

If it's casual sex you are probably not in the right place.

Seriously though, just use both. IOS is limited as a complete production environment, but Ableton Live on a laptop is hard to use on a standing room only bus. The silly file system limitations - which I think all grew out of Apple not wanting to offend the music copyright holders - are infuriating because they are so arbitrary, but whatever, flog it for what it's good for, hundreds of cheap little apps that show the imagination of hundreds of cottage industry devs.

• I suggest a desktop. :)

• @konokoknk
    Many of us have experienced that.
    Make a list of everything you enjoy doing on iOS, stick to it and use your desktop machine for everything else.
    For me that's the key in having fun with iOS.

• I got a Yamaha MODX, a teenage Engineering OP-Z now with sampling and who knows,maybe I’ll eventually use a squarp Pyramid . I’ll use NS2 to record, Drambo for fun, maybe some Apr Matrix and Aum.. if Sample Tank iOS ever goes auv3 I’ll be all set . So iOS and hardware is the answer for me .

• iPad os is on its way

• edited July 2019

Remember that it is far better now that it was even 5 years ago. And it is just going to get better with time, specially with iPadOS on the way. And if it really doesn’t fit your needs, maybe consider sticking to PC/Mac....

• I get a sense that you just needed to sound off about this. I'm sure we've all be there at some point ;)

• I hear you, best to treat ipad as a great and flexible sketchbook, but when you need to go really deep that's what the desktop platform is for.
    iPad's growing up slowly but will always have restrictions. sometimes those restrictions are there as a benefit to focus. :)

• I have little or no trouble producing a lot of music with iOS. First, I think you have to accept that your feelings are subjective. Although everyone knows iOS has limitations, many get 100% satisfaction with what it can do and do very well. Second, the advice of using both iOS and desktop sounds ideal for you. Don’t fight it! Third, try adapting yourself to iOS rather than wanting it to adapt to you. Rather than wanting the apple tree to grow peaches, enjoy the apples. Make applejack!

• edited July 2019

@konokoknk said:
    I dont feel like writing this out, I’ve had many issues doing simple things in iOS that would of took seconds on a desktop...

Ill just throw a few examples

Routing audio from youtube into garage band, so I can record the audio playing and sing karaoke over it

You can't route it, but you can screen record and rip audio out of it (I think Audioshare can do it). Never tried to rip youtube this way, maybe they can restrict it, but you can use some online service to download the video from youtube. Not a big deal.

Only being able to have like 1 app open at once

iOS not being able to multitask, like TBH this is the whole problem

Well, iOS is a multitasking operating system and it has many features that leverage it, especially on iPad - you can access dock from fullscreen app, you can open apps side-by-side, you can even watch video "picture-in-picture". You can drag'n'drop from Files app to many other apps etc. Multitasking was quite heavily addressed by Apple in recent years.

iOS is for opening one thing, and staying within that one thing. There’s no leaving the walled space that u have open, and no connecting external things to it.

Desktop is like a fully customizable space, where you can link anything to anything easily

that right there is my argument right now. It feels so limiting working on iOS.

Some stuff

Browsing the internet for information is so slow, on desktop i use mouse to open 100 tabs, Ctrl+alt+w to close tabs, ctrl+s, ctrl+a to go back n forth between tabs. I get through all of them in 5 mins.

Keyboard shortcuts work on iPad too, but you need a keyboard of course... I am using Chrome and most of the shortcuts works there.

Clip studio paint, same as desktop version, but opening reference images, and arranging them, and opening up a tab to reference items, while drawing is so much of a hassle on iOS...

On desktop you could just have all the tabs there, easily switch to them, open up a 3D program, pose and screenshot, paste into new window. It’s just so much faster workflow...

Copying part of the screenshot and pasting it into the app works on iOS too.

There’s so much more, its just so annoying, i get frustrated everytime I try to make stuff on iOS

But i fuking love that its so simple same time, argh.

Desktop is definitely much more advanced, but what you mentioned are really non-issues. Yes, touchscreen is often not as effective as mouse + keyboard (shortcuts), on the other hand, for many tasks it's much more suitable. When it comes to e.g. work with filesystem, support for external hardware and of course, availability and feature-richness of apps, iOS is of course nowhere near.

• @konokoknk it takes talent. Make a song on your ipad about how you feel so we can hear all your “issues” in the music.

• edited July 2019

@Carnbot said:
    I hear you, best to treat ipad as a great and flexible sketchbook, but when you need to go really deep that's what the desktop platform is for.
    iPad's growing up slowly but will always have restrictions. sometimes those restrictions are there as a benefit to focus. :)

It's like a 4 track that can email and be a heap of cool instruments.

@AndyPlankton said:
    I get a sense that you just needed to sound off about this. I'm sure we've all be there at some point ;)

iOS has to break you before you can break through it's cold glassy exterior and enjoy what it's great for. :)

• @BroCoast said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    I get a sense that you just needed to sound off about this. I'm sure we've all be there at some point ;)

iOS has to break you before you can break through it's cold glassy exterior and enjoy what it's great for. :)

I'm not the submissive type :lol: But yes, I agree

• @BroCoast said:
    I suggest a desktop. :)

I suggest new rx and start the day over..😃

• It's like picking up a guitar and not knowing how to play. Yeah, it's got only 6 strings and isn't an orchestra. Learn to use it, take advantage of what it can do, or stick to what you know.

• @lovadamusic said:
    It's like picking up a guitar and not knowing how to play. Yeah, it's got only 6 strings and isn't an orchestra. Learn to use it, take advantage of what it can do, or stick to what you know.

Basically, beautiful analogy.
    So with that said... delete this thread.

• @ph8aerror said:

@lovadamusic said:
    It's like picking up a guitar and not knowing how to play. Yeah, it's got only 6 strings and isn't an orchestra. Learn to use it, take advantage of what it can do, or stick to what you know.

Yes delete this thread because people whose OPINION or PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS differ from mine!

Actually maybe we should suspend or ban the OP?

NO LETS DOX HIM!

YEAH

Who is he to come on a forum designed to talk about iOS music and talk about.

What a fucking moron right?

This forum more and more is leaning into a posture that is not as open and tolerant as it once was.

Shame.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@ph8aerror said:

@lovadamusic said:

Yes delete this thread because people whose OPINION or PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS differ from mine!

NO LETS DOX HIM!

YEAH

This forum more and more is leaning into a posture that is not as open and tolerant as it once was.

Shame.

Calm down buddy

• edited July 2019

@RUST( i )K
    Seriously, I don't care to battle or bitch on a forum about music tech. But here's a perspective; I meant it as a joke, like how you chat shit with your friends, but also a lil tough love fueled by what this dude said...

"It's like picking up a guitar and not knowing how to play. Yeah, it's got only 6 strings and isn't an orchestra. Learn to use it, take advantage of what it can do, or stick to what you know"

This basically mirrors what I always say to folks in here about learning the shit inside-out, make some good shit by working the tools you have before blaming them. Kids spend a lot of time in here complaining about things that I find incredibly basic.
    I mean, you don't know me and have no idea where I'm from but to me even the broken tools on iOS are so fvcking amazing and gives people the opportunity to explore creativity sonically in places where they may not have the luxury of doing so openly sometimes.

So with all that said, this shit is no where near wtf-ever you were talking about with the forum being "not as open and tolerant as it once was". That's massively inflammatory to my statement and to what the AB forum is. But I'm apologizing to you and to him if that hurt ya'll feelings.

Now let's go make some cotadamn shit forcryingoutloud.

• edited July 2019

d

• @RUST( i )K said:

@ph8aerror said:

@lovadamusic said:

NO LETS DOX HIM!

YEAH

Shame.

• IMO the biggest problem with the current state of music (and pretty well every other creative) software is too many choices.

Here's one approach to counter this.

My IOS workflow is, roughly, start up ApeMatrix or AUM, Pile on the AUv3 plugins, try and make it sound nice. If I've remembered to save by the time it all bursts into flames then try to use the results - whether MIDI files, or audio stems - as the basis for something in Live.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@BroCoast said:
    I suggest a desktop. :)

I suggest new rx and start the day over..😃

weedallday #medicine #rx

• McDMcD
    edited July 2019

We all need to return to the child within us and start again:

No income (so we can't buy anything)
    No knowledge (so we don't know we suck yet)
    No equipment (so we can't really complain yet)
    So, we sing, drum on boxes or kitchen pans
    Ask for gifts of the toys we covet.
    All disappointments lie before us.

• Look at the birds. They neither toil nor spin, yet your heavenly father empowers them to make music all day long.

• @pauly said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@ph8aerror said:

@lovadamusic said:

NO LETS DOX HIM!

YEAH

Shame.

LMAO

• OP is a relatively new user.

He has not made many threads and doesn't post all that much.

He made a legit thread.

Not helpful responses.

Instead the thread turns into a meeting of jabroni anonymous.............

;)