Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midiflow scales, Atom Piano Roll, AUM setup help.

Can anyone explain how I can use Midiflow Scales and Atom Piano in AUM?
Also, I want to be able to play the Midiflow scales on my Arturia MiniLab MKII.
I can’t seem to get Midiflow scales to work in AUM without Audiobus but when I route through Audiobus to AUM, Atom will record the midi but I can’t hear anything when I playback.

Alternatively is there an app like Midiflow Scales that works well with AUM?
Thanks

This is how I currently have things setup.

Comments

• edited June 2019

Try hosting your synths in AUM, rather than Audiobus.
    You can send the Audiobus Midi to AUM, then use the AUM matrix to route the Midi to the synths that are now hosted in AUM, and also route the Midi to Atom.
    You can then easily route the Midi from Atom to the the synths as well, to hear the recorded data play back.
    The way you have it shown, I don’t believe you have Atom outputting the recorded data to the synths in Audiobus.

• Scalebud and Rozeta Scaler are similar apps and work great in AU hosts.

• Now, as far as I know, MidiFlow is an AudioBus application.

Also, I just don't understand your setup.

The Scaler can transpose incoming MIDI.
    Something similar can be done with the Rosetta Scaler, which is a regular AU.
    Or with ThumbJam, as I heard.
    Some other Apps may offer something similar, ScaleBud maybe?

Anyway, MidiFlow Scaler works fine like this:

Here, all notes mapped to the nearest C

• Quantichord is my lazy go-to - just slot it into a midi channel in AUM ... has a very wild randomising feature that takes you into strange places. There's some others similar with sequencers and arps and scales/chord combined. More tinkering involved.

Changeling is also interesting - very musical - but has similar issues with AUM and has been overlooked ... just works off by itself apparently based on my efforts ... lovely though.

• The above suggestions will work, but the simplest change is just to put Atom in the right positioning in Audiobus. It needs to be after Midiflow Scales and before the apps in the flow of midi data.

Rozeta Scales is a good replacement for MidiFlow Scales.

• Thanks Everyone. This is all helpful info. I’ll give it all a go.

• @Soundscaper said:
    Quantichord is my lazy go-to - just slot it into a midi channel in AUM ... has a very wild randomising feature that takes you into strange places. There's some others similar with sequencers and arps and scales/chord combined. More tinkering involved.

I'm quite sure that QuantiChord cannot transpose notes like MidiFlow Scales.
    Please educate, if there is such a possibility.

Changeling is also interesting - very musical - but has similar issues with AUM and has been overlooked ... just works off by itself apparently based on my efforts ... lovely though.

Don't known Changeling very good, but also here, I cannot remember such transpositions.

Do you know MidiFlow Scales by chance?

• You are right of course about the setup without AUM, @wim
    I just started with AUM, as the OP even wanted to only run AUM and not AB, so I moved Atom there to come more close.

• Does Rozeta Scales have a similar remapping method (to only play scale on white keys for examples) to Midiflow Scales. I’ve got KB-1 Keyboard Suite and ScaleBud and neither of them have that.

• Ahh. I just skimmed the thread. Missed the part about preferring to only use AUM**.

(**Which is nutso in my book. 😂)
    Love me my Audiobus!

• tjatja
    edited July 2019

@Steaders said:
    Does Rozeta Scales have a similar remapping method (to only play scale on white keys for examples) to Midiflow Scales. I’ve got KB-1 Keyboard Suite and ScaleBud and neither of them have that.

Rosetta Scaler is similar, but not the same.

So, you may even need both :)

Mapping to white keys, or the the nearest instead of up or down, or exactly selecting the notes you want, are not possible in Rosetta Scaler. But then, Rosetta offers other stuff and is an AU.

• edited July 2019

@tja said:

@Steaders said:
    Does Rozeta Scales have a similar remapping method (to only play scale on white keys for examples) to Midiflow Scales. I’ve got KB-1 Keyboard Suite and ScaleBud and neither of them have that.

Thanks tja. Not seeing a way to map notes. Does it mute the wrong notes in a scale? How does it map the notes to an external midi controller?

• @wim said:
    Ahh. I just skimmed the thread. Missed the part about preferring to only use AUM**.

Love me my Audiobus!

Dito :) :) :)

• @wim said:
    Ahh. I just skimmed the thread. Missed the part about preferring to only use AUM**.

Love me my Audiobus!

Doesn’t have to be in AUM wim. That’s just the app I’m most familiar with at this early stage of my iOS music making education.

• @Steaders said:

@tja said:

@Steaders said:

Thanks tja. Not seeing a way to map notes. Does it mute the wrong notes in a scale? How does it map the notes to an external midi controller? I like to play my midi in myself but I’m not a great keyboard player.

• edited July 2019

@wim said:
    The above suggestions will work, but the simplest change is just to put Atom in the right positioning in Audiobus. It needs to be after Midiflow Scales and before the apps in the flow of midi data.

Rozeta Scales is a good replacement for MidiFlow Scales.

This setup works great wim. Thank you. Ideally I’d like to have the option of using Audiobus and Aum so I’m going to try tja’s way now.

• Just read the Screenshot and the options shown :) ;)

You can quantize up, down or reject notes outside the scale.

I don't understand the second question.
    It just sends out what you configured.

• edited July 2019

Thanks tja.i see what you saying. I missed the “reject notes” option. I’m still not sure that’s what I want. Might just have to buy it and find out for myself.

Regarding not understanding me, ScaleBud for example only has the option to mute the off scale notes on an external controller. This isn’t what I’m looking for. Whereas Midiflow Scales gives you 4 remapping options.

• tjatja
    edited July 2019

@tja said:
    Just read the Screenshot and the options shown :) ;)

I think, you meant to write "How does it map the notes FROM an external MIDI controller", not "TO an external..."
    Now exactly as you configure it. That should be the same as with MIDI from an App.

• @tja said:

@tja said:
    Just read the Screenshot and the options shown :) ;)

I think, you mean to write "How does it map the notes FROM an external MIDI controller", not "TO an external..."
    Now exactly as you configure it. That should be the same as with MIDI from an App.

Yeah I guess you’re right. I’ve been wrong before. 😀👍🏻
    The second part of your comment doesn’t make any sense to me though 🤓

• Then we both are out :D

Either App or external controller, you can both handle them with MidiFlow Scales.

If that was not the question, please explain.

• edited July 2019

I think Midiflow Scales is exactly what I’m looking for (although I will check out Rozeta Scales).
    The thing is, I would love to use it in AUM also. The problem with the set up that you suggested initially is that it’s great for something generative like Fugue Machine but I’m looking to play in midi live through a piano or synth app (with my external keys) using AUM. With the setup I had originally I couldn’t figure out how to hear the recorded midi/audio in Atom. I know this all probably makes more sense to me than you (or anyone else) but it’s the best I can do to describe what I want to do. 😇

• edited July 2019

Tja could you show me the Audiobus/Midiflow Scales/AUM/Atom setup with a synth or piano app? I think that might help.

• @Steaders said:
    Tja could you show me the Audiobus/Midiflow Scales/AUM/Atom setup with a synth or piano app? I think that might help.

It’s the same as you have, except, go to the audio page in Audiobus and drop AUM into the output slots for the synths. But I’m sure @tja is working on an answer as we speak, so I’ll leave it at that.

• edited July 2019

Right but what goes where fugue is on the middle page and how do I route things in AUM so that I can hear the recorded midi in Atom? Sorry. I’m coming from years of writing on a desktop PC in Cubase. I just find this so confusing.

• tjatja
    edited July 2019

@Steaders said:

I did that already above.

The MIDI got produced by Fugue Machine in AudioBus - you can instead use your keyboard.

And the MIDI, modified by MidiFlow Scales was send to AUM, where it was send to Atom and from there to the Sunrizer AU Synth.

So, please watch the Screenshots again:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/658025/#Comment_658025

• wimwim
    edited July 2019

@Steaders said:
    Regarding not understanding me, ScaleBud for example only has the option to mute the off scale notes on an external controller. This isn’t what I’m looking for. Whereas Midiflow Scales gives you 4 remapping options.

Rozeta Scaler doesn’t have the exact four options that Midiflow Scales does, but it effectively accomplishes the same thing with different options. You can choose to transpose notes you play outside of the scale either up or down to a key in the scale. So no matter what key you hit, you will not play outside the scale. For the “White Keys” option, you would simply set the Input Transpose to the right number of semitones.

So, if you wanted to play in Eb minor on all white keys, you would:

• Set input transpose to +3 (C to Eb)
    • Set the scale to Eb minor
    • Set to quantize up or down.
    • Play white keys from C

Rozeta scaler doesn’t let you create custom scales though. I made a Mozaic script that does that, but that probably isn’t really what you need if I understand correctly.

• edited July 2019

Ok. I’ll give it a go and get back to you. Guys, I’m sorry. I feel like maybe you’re getting irritated with me. I’ve spent all day trying to figure these things out on my iPad and I’m kind of brain dead and extremely frustrated.
    For example. Did you know that you can’t change midi channels on an Arturia MiniLab MKII if the first pad is selected? That took about 3 hours to figure out. Thanks to Audiobus forums of course.
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19860/arturia-minilab-mkii-changing-midi-channels-not-working

• @wim said:

@Steaders said:

Rozeta Scaler doesn’t have the exact four options that Midiflow Scales does, but it effectively accomplishes the same thing with different options. You can choose to transpose notes you play outside of the scale either up or down to a key in the scale. So no matter what key you hit, you will not play outside the scale. For the “White Keys” option, you would simply set the Input Transpose to the right number of semitones.

So, if you wanted to play in Eb minor on all white keys, you would:

• Set input transpose to +3 (C to Eb)
    • Set the scale to Eb minor
    • Set to quantize up or down.
    • Play white keys from C

Rozeta scaler doesn’t let you create custom scales though. I made a Mozaic script that does that, but that probably isn’t really what you need if I understand correctly.

Thanks wim!

• @Steaders said:
    Ok. I’ll give it a go and get back to you. Guys, I’m sorry. I can sense you’re getting irritated with me. I’ve spent all day trying to figure these things out on my iPad and I’m kind of brain dead and extremely frustrated.
    For example. Did you know that you can’t change midi channels on an Arturia MiniLab MKII if the first pad is selected? That took about 3 hours to figure out.

No way, I’m definitely not getting frustrated with you at all. This stuff is hard to get a grip on. Sorry if it sounded that way at all! Keep asking questions. We’ve all been there. B)