Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Massive X countdown (edit: not til June) (DESKTOP)

edited January 2019 in Other

Massive X in 9, 8, 7, 6 5... weeks? February is the announced target date.
(But you know how that usually goes... Synths are complicated. Software is complicated. People are too. Added together it’s one big complamacation! 😄)

Dear Native Instruments: if you ever decide to bring any of your wonderful VSTs to iOS/Android, me and my friends here have our “buying fingers” warmed and ready. IOW... Take my moneys!

Looks bitchin’ though. Has a “GORILLA” setting (???) Saw this picture:

https://storedj.com.au/images/ProductImages/NI-K12UCEUPGU12_2.jpg

Comments

• I really hope they built it with native code and not Reaktor, or we'll only get 2 note polyphony on a Core i7.

• edited January 2019

@craftycurate said:
    I really hope they built it with native code and not Reaktor, or we'll only get 2 note polyphony on a Core i7.

Ha! I’m just reading about that very question on KVR. Seems (as far as I can tell) that is NOT a Reaktor-based instrument. We’ll see how CPU friendly it is though...

• Oh mannnnn, that looks wonderful! Can’t wait!

• Uh oh.... looks like the wait for Massive X will now be June 2019 at the earliest. Such is life.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths/massive-x/?sscid=11k3_f98z5

• @haulin_notes said:
    Uh oh.... looks like the wait for Massive X will now be June 2019 at the earliest. Such is life.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths/massive-x/?sscid=11k3_f98z5

bad - I was hoping to go for upgrade with summer sale :(

• @MAtrixplan said:
    bad - I was hoping to go for upgrade with summer sale :(

That's probably still on, since Komplete 12 has been out for a while, unless you were referring to a Massive to Massive X upgrade? Come to think of it, the individual app upgrades tend to be around Thanksgiving.

• edited June 2019

Released - the "Gorilla" wavetable mode (3:40) sounds gritty + dirty.. yum!

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths/massive-x/

• Is it just me, or are the initial non-sponsored / non-commercial reviews pretty... lackluster?

• edited June 2019

It’s actually really, really good.

• Playing with this for a few days and its grown on me more, absolute gem for pad, soundscape and random experimentaying, lack of visual feedback is a bit of a downer, but the sound:)

I had K11U and wasn't going to upgrade again for a few years, going with komplete 12 standard version was £35 more than just updating to kontakt 6 in the sale, so glad I did it now, as I use kontakt loads and a few new libraries I had my eye on are 6 only, no player version. Plus massive x will keep me busy for a while.

• When NI release a new synth then it's usually something to write home about.
    I appreciate the clean UI too.

• I waited to upgrade to Komplete 12 Ultimate so it worked out to wait until this month when they are having their 50% sale. Allowed me to get Massive X along with everything they've released in the last year.

• Has taken two days to download which has more than whet the cockles etc...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Has taken two days to download which has more than whet the cockles etc...

Yeah, took me about four attempts, and I had to update my OS halfway through. Wasn’t impressed with it visually, but it sounds really good.

This was a quick muck about with three instances:

https://horsegas.bandcamp.com/track/viridian-endset

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Yeah, took me about four attempts, and I had to update my OS halfway through. Wasn’t impressed with it visually, but it sounds really good.

Very good. I think you should get Tom Bell (before he died) to read these 72 Short Lines About Shame over the top of it:

In the matter
    of the honey-dripper
    I am ashamed,
    not for the scale

of my ignorance,
    but the ignoring of it.
    They are commonplace
    to look at, a cypher,

that peeled bud
    or globe, with slices
    beveled out
    around the circle.

Obviously, even to me,
    one is meant to dig into
    the honey’s pot,
    twirl it about some,

and then transfer quickly
    to any waiting beverage.
    It is an old tool
    in looks as well

as history, but despite
    its presence in every
    kitchen since Nanny
    I have never used it.

There is no blade,
    no wire, no lever,
    no cantilever,
    no mechanism

to reccomend it
    to a modern boy.
    In my tea at night,
    and all day also,

I use honey.
    Wildflower usually,
    tupelo for best.
    Two teaspoons full.

I have had spoons
    and heated spoons too,
    but to no good effect.
    I had a depressing machine.

You push down to depress,
    tiring but slow.
    There have been other gadgets,
    glass and metal

and some made of plastic.
    None were successful
    solutions, but all
    rendered fingers sticky.

I have had thoughts
    of an engineered answer,
    that better mousetrap,
    but I was left

no other option
    in one evening’s drawer.
    And the shame flows
    because it worked perfectly

and I never knew
    or thought to think
    that surely it must
    with so much prior use.

It doesn’t ruin my tea
    or make it bitter, for
    tea is humble,
    the only change

is that in this matter,
    at least, I am also.
    Fifty years of not
    knowing any better

and not knowing
    I never knew.
    What else must
    there surely be?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Very good. I think you should get Tom Bell (before he died) to read these 72 Short Lines About Shame over the top of it:

In the matter
    of the honey-dripper
    I am ashamed,
    not for the scale

of my ignorance,
    but the ignoring of it.
    They are commonplace
    to look at, a cypher,

that peeled bud
    or globe, with slices
    beveled out
    around the circle.

Obviously, even to me,
    one is meant to dig into
    the honey’s pot,
    twirl it about some,

and then transfer quickly
    to any waiting beverage.
    It is an old tool
    in looks as well

as history, but despite
    its presence in every
    kitchen since Nanny
    I have never used it.

There is no blade,
    no wire, no lever,
    no cantilever,
    no mechanism

to reccomend it
    to a modern boy.
    In my tea at night,
    and all day also,

I use honey.
    Wildflower usually,
    tupelo for best.
    Two teaspoons full.

I have had spoons
    and heated spoons too,
    but to no good effect.
    I had a depressing machine.

You push down to depress,
    tiring but slow.
    There have been other gadgets,
    glass and metal

and some made of plastic.
    None were successful
    solutions, but all
    rendered fingers sticky.

I have had thoughts
    of an engineered answer,
    that better mousetrap,
    but I was left

no other option
    in one evening’s drawer.
    And the shame flows
    because it worked perfectly

and I never knew
    or thought to think
    that surely it must
    with so much prior use.

It doesn’t ruin my tea
    or make it bitter, for
    tea is humble,
    the only change

is that in this matter,
    at least, I am also.
    Fifty years of not
    knowing any better

and not knowing
    I never knew.
    What else must
    there surely be?

Always open to submissions from living actors and poets Boss!

• @mister_rz said:
    Playing with this for a few days and its grown on me more, absolute gem for pad, soundscape and random experimentaying, lack of visual feedback is a bit of a downer, but the sound:)

Yeah - it's really deep and makes some wicked sounds - definitely more sound design than EDM I suspect - interesting they stuck with the "Massive" name - it's a very different synth

This track is all massive X (from scratch not presets)

I had K11U and wasn't going to upgrade again for a few years, going with komplete 12 standard version was £35 more than just updating to kontakt 6 in the sale, so glad I did it now, as I use kontakt loads and a few new libraries I had my eye on are 6 only, no player version. Plus massive x will keep me busy for a while.

yeah the "NI" tax - wasn't going to pay it this year - every 3-4 years seems optimal but the early video of massive x and a sale made it seem worthwhile - don't think there was anything else in the upgrade I care about the bass drum/bass line thing (TRK1 perhaps?) was good for a tinker but haven't touched it since

• edited June 2019

It is a very poor synth that is more hype than substance, Original Massive is better for any hard dance sounds and a plethora of free Reaktor modules are better for everything else this does, the fact it is 2gb in size is ridiculous for how poor this actually sounds, if I had paid for this I would be very annoyed, not even in the same ballpark as Serum and certainly wont have the impact that Massive did.

Note here that I am judging strictly on sound and workflow and ignoring all the bugs, that is fair with a v1.

• @Turntablist said:
    It is a very poor synth that is more hype than substance, Original Massive is better for any hard dance sounds

While I disagree that it is a poor synth - for the kind of stuff I make it's fantastic - lots of modulation and wave 'messing about with' for want of a better term - but I can see hear that it's not a 'dance' synth at all... which like I say - odd they used the 'massive' name - I can see that causing them no end of criticism like yours - it would have been better to launch it as a new synth for sound design type things

• edited June 2019

The install size is a bit strange for a VST and looks like it's compiled from reaktor core given the crazy CPU usage I'm getting on my old MacBook Pro. Need to try it on a newer computer.

However I don't dislike the look or the sound. It looks like a modular monster if only my computer can keep up.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Your song captures some of the things i like about this synth, it's warm nostalgic side and the way the sound can surround ya. Find it very inspiring to work with so far, plus it's cut down on my synth and kontakt instrument wishlist, this is one of my favs I've heard from you so far, nice and simple, can see all them years of indulging in psychedelics, has been time well spent.

• @pagefall said:

@mister_rz said:
    Playing with this for a few days and its grown on me more, absolute gem for pad, soundscape and random experimentaying, lack of visual feedback is a bit of a downer, but the sound:)

Yeah - it's really deep and makes some wicked sounds - definitely more sound design than EDM I suspect - interesting they stuck with the "Massive" name - it's a very different synth

This track is all massive X (from scratch not presets)

yeah the "NI" tax - wasn't going to pay it this year - every 3-4 years seems optimal but the early video of massive x and a sale made it seem worthwhile - don't think there was anything else in the upgrade I care about the bass drum/bass line thing (TRK1 perhaps?) was good for a tinker but haven't touched it since

Liking this one too, very atmospheric, reminds me of traveling around cornwall and wales a few years back, collecting sounds, images and inspiration. Especially when you'd get to the beach or mountains and the weather was overcast, but the rain held for the most part, something about dark clouds and certain spaces, that amplify the vibe, your song captured that feeling. I know it sounds wankerish what i typed, reading it back, but it's the only way I can explain it, so in it stays:D

Im glad native instruments went in this direction with the new massive, as the next 10 years or so as they say, should have some very inspiring music and soundtracks, I appreciate the vibe of this thing, has come at the right time imo. I wanted to hold out until at least 13 for noire and straylight as the both look excellent, only thing in 12 ultimate that I liked the look of was thrill and the distortion plugs. Happy tho with massive x and kontakt being up to date, like the choral plugin and looking forward to trying the middle eastern percussion instrument, when I create more space on my external drive, trk01 looks interesting too.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

https://horsegas.bandcamp.com/track/viridian-

Sounds great👍

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

What were you on?
    How high are you going? ---- regarding OS update that is. :D

• @royor said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

What were you on?
    How high are you going? ---- regarding OS update that is. :D

I was on El Capitan - needed to update really anyway - and now on ‘High’ Sierra as this was an option :)

• @mister_rz said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Your song captures some of the things i like about this synth, it's warm nostalgic side and the way the sound can surround ya. Find it very inspiring to work with so far, plus it's cut down on my synth and kontakt instrument wishlist, this is one of my favs I've heard from you so far, nice and simple, can see all them years of indulging in psychedelics, has been time well spent.

Thanks Mister! Credit all goes to the synth though - I simply loaded up three patches and noodled Live onto three tracks. The first one had a Terry Riley vibe, the next couple a bit of Ashra Tempel, and 15 enjoyable minutes later it was done.

It’s a very versatile synth. Massive is great for EDM stuff, but X is much more flexible.

@[Deleted User] said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

https://horsegas.bandcamp.com/track/viridian-

Sounds great👍

Thanks Trevor! It’s a lovely sounding synth.