Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Most stable iOS production environments

Comments

• Gadget
    AB3/Xequence/AUM
    NS2

I have had the most issues with BM3 and Cubasis (need to take another look at Cubasis since the last updatetho)

• @espiegel123 said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@theconnactic said:
    Auria Pro - if you only use the internal instruments (all awesome) and plug-ins (except for THM, currently). Absolutely crash proof when used this way.

I constantly crash loading the Auria versions of Fabfilter.

Please report the crashes to the devs over on the Auria Pro forum. The dev doesn't keep up with discussions over here but does read the bug reports on their forum. I believe that he is about to start tackling the bugs that didn't make it into the last update (which seems to have vastly improved MIDI and MIDI AU stuff).

I’m sending crash reports every time. ;-)

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@espiegel123 said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@theconnactic said:
    Auria Pro - if you only use the internal instruments (all awesome) and plug-ins (except for THM, currently). Absolutely crash proof when used this way.

Please report the crashes to the devs over on the Auria Pro forum. The dev doesn't keep up with discussions over here but does read the bug reports on their forum. I believe that he is about to start tackling the bugs that didn't make it into the last update (which seems to have vastly improved MIDI and MIDI AU stuff).

Through the app or on their forum? I am not sure how robust the reports from the app are. I have gotten a lot more traction by connecting with RIM via their forum.

• @klownshed said:

For context; I have an iPad Air 2. My guess is that the newer models will have slightly fewer issues, especially the ones with more RAM.

I wish. The 2018 Pro is the least stable iPad I've owned.

• When you remove AUs from the equation most environments get hellah more stable.

• I find that if I don't launch an app, then it pretty much never crashes. ;)

@espiegel123 said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@theconnactic said:

Me too. There’s not much space in the tiny box for typing much though.

• @mistercharlie said:
    I find that if I don't launch an app, then it pretty much never crashes. ;)

Sometimes its the only solution.

• Most are usually stable if you don't use other apps/AU with them.

Live 10 is so good now that I could never do "production" on iOS again. CV tools is just insane...

• MTS by a mile.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    MTS by a mile.

+1

• @espiegel123 said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@espiegel123 said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@theconnactic said:

Through the app or on their forum? I am not sure how robust the reports from the app are. I have gotten a lot more traction by connecting with RIM via their forum.

Hmmm, this is the first I’ve heard that crash reporting is broken.

• @AudioGus said:
    When you remove AUs from the equation most environments get hellah more stable.

I sometimes wonder if I have too many installed app/AUs for Auria to handle.

@AudioGus said:
    When you remove AUs from the equation most environments get hellah more stable.

I sometimes wonder if I have too many installed app/AUs for Auria to handle.

I suspect that isn't it how many you have on you have installed, but if you mean projects with lots of AUs loaded that could be it. I make a habit of freezing pretty often to reduce the load. But there may be particular AUs or apps that cause problems. (Same is true of Cubasis, too -- interestingly the AUs apps that don't play well with one or the other aren't always the same).

Do you have projects that crash more than others?

Maybe we can figure out what is making things unstable for you. Auria Pro is generally pretty stable for me, but some things make it less stable for me.

Anyway, if folks have crashes with AP, it is worth actually going to their forum and creating a post with as much detail as you can supply. Such reports get a lot more attention -- particularly if mention that you are having frequent problems.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Anyway, if folks have crashes with AP, it is worth actually going to their forum and creating a post with as much detail as you can supply. Such reports get a lot more attention -- particularly if mention that you are having frequent problems.

I'd be spamming the forums 10 times an hour. The crashing happens typically with file operations, or just loading an auria effect, like fabfilter. i'm not looking for instant help. i'm trying to populate their bugzilla with specific incidents in the most efficient way possible.

@espiegel123 said:

I'd be spamming the forums 10 times an hour. The crashing happens typically with file operations, or just loading an auria effect, like fabfilter. i'm not looking for instant help. i'm trying to populate their bugzilla with specific incidents in the most efficient way possible.

That being the case, you are still best off posting a message to their forum that explains that you are getting such frequent crashes. Even if you don't post each time it crashes. I can tell you from experience that if you post a bug report on the forum with a lot of detail -- and mention that it is happening frequently, it is far more likely to get attention than bugzilla reports. This isn't just true of Auria Pro. A number of other developers have mentioned this, too.

Even better, if you have a reproducible crash, do a screen capture, load it to YouTube and include that in your report. There were a number of bugs during the beta where that proved critical to helping the devs see the bug in action and get a sense of what was going on.

It really is not typical for crashes to be so frequent generally. Usually, there is a particular aspect of the project (such as a particular AU or combination of AUs). I use AP a fair amount and don't generally get crashes. I have found, however that Enso and AP don't get along that well. If I have more than one Enso, things become unstable.

FWIW, the same is true of all the DAWs. They all seem to have some AUs with which they are less stable than others.

• edited July 2019

So far only a single NS2 mention?

• @klownshed said:
    Ns2 always locks up on me frequently, usually requires rebooting as If i quit it from app selector and reload it just locks up again. Very Frustrating. Probably au related but NS2 doesn’t handle this situation as cleanly AUM. Once a project starts misbehaving in NS2 it becomes a complete pain and often I can’t seem to rescue it.

we identified this problem down to AudioDamage Grind plugin, i wrote already message to Chris Randall so hope this will be soon fixed.

• Reviving this one because its relevant. Logic just reported an error on a project with four plugins. In order of stability, my mentions will be:

1. AUM. Holy shit, what is this made of? Least amount of processing crackles and have NEVER crashed on me. First software I've used except for Ableton where this has happened.
    2. Cubasis 3. Works great with most plugins, if there are problems it's most often from some new or small developer (or Audio Damage, never got Dubstation 2 to work).

Both of these also have outstanding customer support.

Other alternatives are not viable for my workflow or specific ipad. Will try out Logic in the near future for some arranging but mainly vocal recording.

• @tekk said:
    Reviving this one because its relevant. Logic just reported an error on a project with four plugins. In order of stability, my mentions will be:

1. AUM. Holy shit, what is this made of? Least amount of processing crackles and have NEVER crashed on me. First software I've used except for Ableton where this has happened.
    2. Cubasis 3. Works great with most plugins, if there are problems it's most often from some new or small developer (or Audio Damage, never got Dubstation 2 to work).

Other alternatives are not viable for my workflow or specific ipad. Will try out Logic in the near future for some arranging but mainly vocal recording.

AUM and Cubasis 3 are both very stable for sure. My main 2 as well. If you wanna look at a couple of others, Loopy Pro and Drambo are 2 more stable and fun hosts.

• @HotStrange said:

@tekk said:
    Reviving this one because its relevant. Logic just reported an error on a project with four plugins. In order of stability, my mentions will be:

AUM and Cubasis 3 are both very stable for sure. My main 2 as well. If you wanna look at a couple of others, Loopy Pro and Drambo are 2 more stable and fun hosts.

I have both, hosts are one area where I don't return apps, many taking more than two weeks to demo, and you're right - they are also very solid. Can't remember a crash in either.

• AUM, dRambo, Cubasis 3.
    A couple of years ago I would’ve included Auria Pro
    however there are more than signs of life coming through via Testflight
    in regards to Auria Pro so there’s hope yet.

• I’ve completed projects in Gadget, NS2, Garageband, and Logic Pro. I nearly completed a couple in Cubasis before Logic Pro came along. I nearly completely one in Zenbeats before I got frustrated with it and exported the tracks to finish elsewhere. And I do use AUM a lot, but not as a DAW.

They’ve all been very stable for me. While I’ve had a few crashes in many (most?) of them, I haven’t had many. Not any that stick out as memorable. And I’ve had some of them lock up or get weird and require a restart, but never anything too bad.

The worst was the time I started a project in Drambo, and it crashed and lost my work. So, I haven’t worked up the motivation to try it again. (Plus, Drambo’s workflow isn’t really my normal way of working…though I will probably give it a try again at some point.)

• I’ll be really happy if Auria gets up to date and stable. I love the workflow on there

• For years Audiobus was super solid. But lately it as been acting up on me.

Cubasis 3 is still rock solid.

• Cubasis 3,Nanostudio 2,Korg Gadget,AUM,Garageband,Moog apps,SynthMaster 2,FabFilter apps…all pretty stable for me over the years

• @fisherro said:
    The worst was the time I started a project in Drambo, and it crashed and lost my work. So, I haven’t worked up the motivation to try it again. (Plus, Drambo’s workflow isn’t really my normal way of working…though I will probably give it a try again at some point.)

When was that? You might have been unlucky to hit a bug.
    There have been quite a number of fixes and fixing crashes always has top priority in Drambo development.
    This can only work if bugs are reported of course.

Drambo creates an "_autosave" file that is updated automatically in regular intervals so in case you need to start Drambo again after a crash, your first action should be loading the "_autosaved" project.
    Your very last edits could be lost but a major part of your work should be there.

• Drambo for me.
    i even bought M1 Mac to run it on desktop as well (not joking).

• Logic is rock solid for me.

Since it was released in May I’ve completed 20 tracks, most of them with vocals and extensive plugin chains, with no issues.

• edited December 2023

@richardyot said:
    Logic is rock solid for me.

Since it was released in May I’ve completed 20 tracks, most of them with vocals and extensive plugin chains, with no issues.

Unusual to see unadulterated praise for it .. It’s come under so much criticism since it’s iOS inception. Have you made it through the 900 page manual ?