Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

2018 Pro Users: Please Help

So I think I’m going to keep my 11” Pro.
I’ve had it for 10 days and it’s passed most tests.
I realize that there has been discussion in various other threads but updates happen and people find work arounds etc.

So what audio interface are you using?
The 2 that catch my eye are the Steinberg UR44 and the iconnect.

I’m a bass player and sing, need midi for a keyboard controller and like the extra channels to input a hardware synth (or 2).
I’d like a balanced stereo out to go to a mixer where I could start to interact more with my hardware looper if I choose.
I’m keeping my Air2 so it would be great to be able to sync (Link) it with the Pro.

Plug and play definitely preferable.
What say ye good friends?

Comments

• I use 2x Behringer UMC 404HD

No regrets

• Iconnect audio 4+ if you want to integrate ipad to another ipad or to pc/mac. The thing is a workhorse and low latency.

• Behringer UMC1820 with ADA8200 expansion = No shortage of inputs.

• iConnectAudio4 here too, sharing MIDI and audio is a breeze, I’ve been having ridiculous fun with NS2 and VCV Rack. I do wish it had two or four extra analog inputs, though four keeps my hardware GAS at bay 😉.
    There are two versions: one has fixed line/instrument inputs, while the other is selectable, which you can tell apart by the labels in the inputs themselves.

• @jipumarino said:
    iConnectAudio4 here too, sharing MIDI and audio is a breeze, I’ve been having ridiculous fun with NS2 and VCV Rack. I do wish it had two or four extra analog inputs, though four keeps my hardware GAS at bay 😉.
    There are two versions: one has fixed line/instrument inputs, while the other is selectable, which you can tell apart by the labels in the inputs themselves.

@Ben

Yep, they released a new version/hardware update of the audio4+ , also it runs cooler so the new version is the one to get. I would love them to release an eight analog input version 🤤.

• edited June 2019

Doug at the Sound Test Room just released this. Maybe it’ll help in your decision making process.

The only thing you’ll need to change/add for your iPad Pro is this
    AUKEY USB C Adapter to USB 3.0, [2 Pack, 0.5ft] with OTG USB Type C Adapter for MacBook Pro 2017, Google Pixel 2XL, Samsung S8 S8+, Nexus 6P 5X, LG G5 (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DRG8RR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_UDogDbSR5N9Z6

• @[Deleted User] said:

@jipumarino said:
    iConnectAudio4 here too, sharing MIDI and audio is a breeze, I’ve been having ridiculous fun with NS2 and VCV Rack. I do wish it had two or four extra analog inputs, though four keeps my hardware GAS at bay 😉.

@Ben

Yep, they released a new version/hardware update of the audio4+ , also it runs cooler so the new version is the one to get. I would love them to release an eight analog input version 🤤.

Ah, interesting, I wasn't aware of that particular difference (I have the older version), are there others related to performance?

• edited June 2019

@jipumarino said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@jipumarino said:

@Ben

Ah, interesting, I wasn't aware of that particular difference (I have the older version), are there others related to performance?

I have the old one which i bought second hand. Like you said already on the new update all four analogue inputs are hi-gain, it runs cooler and there is phantom power output protection added for live gigs, on the back they added screw mount to the power port so its more robust. Thats it to my knowledge.

• @[Deleted User] and @jipumarino. Thanks for that, sounds promising.
    You both have 2018 Pro’s?

• @Steaders. Perfect timing. Thanks for the link to the adapter cable also.

• @Ben said:
    @[Deleted User] and @jipumarino. Thanks for that, sounds promising.

I have an older pro 9.7 2017 with lightning port.

FYI i owned a behringer UMC 1820 and a steinberg UR22 in the past. The steinberg has the best sound to my ears (those Yamaha chips are great) followed by the iconnect audio4+ and last is the beringer UMC 1820 which sounds muddy but is still excellent value for money. Also my UMC 1820 gain knob started to crackle after a year use.

• @Ben said:
    @[Deleted User] and @jipumarino. Thanks for that, sounds promising.

Pro 12.9 2018 here

• So I got the UR 44.
    Got midi and bass/guitar apps working.
    Messed with vocals for a bit last night and could only get a mono signal but that’s a question for another time.

I have a cable direct from the Steinberg USB out to USB C in to the Pro.
    Works fine. AUM and AB recognize it. Went through several “restart” and “tap to launch” prompts and crashes in AB with Mic Room and GTL @Michael?

Problem I’m having is the Pro is not charging.
    The Ur 44 has it’s own power supply and I’ve found that typically that means it charged your device.
    Anybody got anything for me?

• Having a power supply doesn't mean that an audio interface (or USB device in general) can charge your device, unfortunately. The keyword to search for is USB "power delivery".

I think some of the iRig audio interfaces have this feature, but they don't meet your other needs. They also require a proprietary adapter for the power delivery feature and I'm not sure if they have a USB-C version yet.

A more general solution is to get a USB hub with power delivery and use that in between your iPad and the audio interface. I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NSX4KM9

• @Ben said:
    So I got the UR 44.
    Messed with vocals for a bit last night and could only get a mono signal but that’s a question for another time.

Works fine. AUM and AB recognize it. Went through several “restart” and “tap to launch” prompts and crashes in AB with Mic Room and GTL @Michael?

The Ur 44 has it’s own power supply and I’ve found that typically that means it charged your device.

Crash logs/diagnostics would be helpful: https://audiob.us/help/#crashes

• @walkie said:
    Having a power supply doesn't mean that an audio interface (or USB device in general) can charge your device, unfortunately. The keyword to search for is USB "power delivery".

I think some of the iRig audio interfaces have this feature, but they don't meet your other needs. They also require a proprietary adapter for the power delivery feature and I'm not sure if they have a USB-C version yet.

A more general solution is to get a USB hub with power delivery and use that in between your iPad and the audio interface. I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NSX4KM9

@Michael said:

@Ben said:
    So I got the UR 44.

Crash logs/diagnostics would be helpful: https://audiob.us/help/#crashes

Hey guys, thanks! I went to Best Buy this afternoon and left with what I hope is the solution.
    I’m going to take a run at it and report back.
    @Michael. Yeah , sorry for being so vague. When I get a chance to dig in I’ll provide more info.