Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is it possible for AB2 to do an Auria trick and make apps appear multiple times?

I think the Auria model would be awesome in AB2.

Example would be as with the Fabfilter plugins where I can have multiple instances of the same plugin in one project, to do the same with say the AUFX plugins in AB2 would be awesomeness! Multi route heaven :)

Has this been covered before?

Is it possible?

Comments

• none of the apps i owe can do that but thinking of it not sure why it isn't allowed to happen. must be the ios restriction.

• I don't have Auria, but I know what you mean, the multiple instances thing is one of the reasons I enjoy Tabletop a lot even though limited by the screen space and only Tabletop devices or Tabletop ready apps - which means no effect apps.

• I believe that if you happen to own a non-universal app in both iPhone and iPad versions you could load both separately into AB (on the iPad, of course). That's only a small number of apps though, and you'd have to pay twice.

• @bennorland said:

I believe that if you happen to own a non-universal app in both iPhone and iPad versions you could load both separately into AB (on the iPad, of course). That's only a small number of apps though, and you'd have to pay twice.

There's some good ones you can use like that such as sunrizer and magellan. Unfortunately animoog for iphone has no audiobus.

• edited May 2014

@supadom I'm not sure it's an ios restriction as it's an option in Tabletop & Auria...although it is not currently possible with IAA

@bennorland thats a current option I use for Addictive etc.

It would probably need developer support per app as in Tabletop to provide the functionality.

It would be good to get a technical perspective from the devs...

Just seems like it would be a cool feature to implement.

• No, Audiobus connects together independent apps, of which only one instance of a specific app can run on iOS at a given time. That part is an iOS restriction. What Auria and Tabletop do is include the actual code of those "plugins" within themselves, so they can run as many as they want. The developers of those plugins arranged privately with Auria or Tabletop to do that, and is not something that can be magically done by a 3rd party.

• @sonosaurus said:

No, Audiobus connects together independent apps, of which only one instance of a specific app can run on iOS at a given time. That part is an iOS restriction. What Auria and Tabletop do is include the actual code of those "plugins" within themselves, so they can run as many as they want. The developers of those plugins arranged privately with Auria or Tabletop to do that, and is not something that can be magically done by a 3rd party.

So the AB devs would have a lot more coding to do to make it work along with the arrangement of other devs.....but it could work......very interesting indeed.

Thanks for the clarification :)

• Sorry, just spotted the question was about AB2. My pic is of AB1. Is that a capability that's been lost in AB2?

• No, you can still do that in AB2. However, with Music Studio (or Audioshare, etc) it's still basically just processing as though one instance of the app was running. I think @DaveMagoo is referring to one app processing multiple, independant lines so you could have something like Echo Pad in two or three different effects slots, with different settings for whatever is running through.

• ^^exactly....

• edited May 2014

I suppose if someone made an app with multiple filter ports, something like that could be done with AB2. Of course the app's user interface would have to let you address each of the "instances" separately.
    It is possible that some app has done this already, but I have no idea which.

• I would definetly pay for this feature as an IAP.

• Actually, @sonosaurus in the context of the AB ecosystem such an app might be really interesting. Also on similar lines, I would happily buy a drum machine that offered separate AB outputs for each sound, or pay for an IAP that added that functionality to any of my favourite drum machines. I guess that's a little similar to what you've implemented in Drumjam.

• Multitrack DAW lets you capture each AB audio pipeline onto its own separate track and then run its Fx on each including an equalizer and compression plus a great way to adjust the mix of the audio pipelines.