Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

WurlyGig / #4 All EP Album

edited June 2019 in Creations

Inspired by @Daveypoo’s love of all things electric piano, I improvised several different tracks featuring various EPS from NeoSoul Keys, iElectric and my Kawai MP11se onboard EP

https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/album/wurlygig

Comments

• I'm flattered to have been the source of some inspiration.

I'm digging the first track - to be honest time has not been my friend in the last week, so this is the first of your recent releases that I'll be able to listen to in full (young children don't often allow for the mental, physical or emotional bandwidth necessary for such a prodigious output). However, knowing that I had a hand, however small, in the creation of this newly birthed baby fills me with a sense of fatherly duty to at least give it a go.

😜

Looking forward to it. I'm humbled, truly.

• McDMcD
    edited June 2019

Very nice. Just heading out for a walk and this is the next in the series or me. Also good to see individual track capability rather than the family style with everything in a single file. Hard to queue up track #4 in the prior formats.

I love me some EP tones for a nice walk. The synths made everyone look more sinister.

Another excellent cover photo and graphic design... @rs2000 get the credit?

• @McD said:
    Very nice. Just heading out for a walk and this is the next in the series or me. Also good to see individual track capability rather than the family style with everything in a single file. Hard to queue up track #4 in the prior formats.

I love me some EP tones for a nice walk. The synths made everyone look more sinister.

Another excellent cover photo and graphic design... @rs2000 get the credit?

Original photograph by @chandroji, coverization by me o:)

BTW, anyone here who owns and uses Spectrasonics Keyscape on desktop?
    I'd call it goldmine of well-prepared and recorded EPs and Clavinets.
    The Wurly 140 and the L.A. Rhodes are so good that they were the first that I re-sampled for use in iOS last year ;)

• Back from the walk. There are some gems here. I learned a lot about Mike Levy with this series of listenings.
    His chord improvisations and the ability to improvise bass line in the same take (solo pianists do that) are so good.

Lot's of lovely textures with the focus on EP's. When the acoustic piano surfaced I remembered who was driving. I forgot
    and just stopped trying to listen as if Mike is a puzzle. I think I cracked the code now and can listen like he tends to play.
    Without the critic studying even choice being made. Just take the ride and enjoy the view.

• Thanks @Daveypoo. Yes time is a bitch. We trade it for the necessities. And thank you, @rs2000, master of the 10:00 album cover! Credit is now given where credit is due,

Thanks for being my Boswell, @McD. Did you become enLLightened?

• edited June 2019

Oh, my photography was edited? 😎

This is the original, it’s from a series I called “Starship Berlin”

I think , now are already six of my photos connected with the wonderful music of mike! 😊
    Possible I have some more photos for nice covers...

• edited June 2019

Check your email, @chandroji! Indeed, rs2000 mirrored the image and cropped. BandCamp’s art only comes in squares, unfortunately.

• Dead Thread Revival!

Ok - so I finally got off my lazy butt to listen to the whole thing.

I dig it - electric pianos are easy on my ears, so of course I was immediately into it. I like it quite a bit - I feel like using the EP rather than a traditional piano makes your playing less angular to my ears. I know I joke about consonance with you a lot, but I can hear your melodicism at play even more here.

It's as if playing an EP makes you less likely to jump to a "surprise" dissonant chord or harmony - you're following a much more linear thematic path, and while you may not repeat yourself, I can definitely hear more of the arc of the story you're telling on this than some of your other material that is more atmospheric.

But of course, you built the car with me in mind, so of course I'm going to like the way it looks and drives...

WAIT A SECOND - I hear some "real" piano mixed in at the end of Into the Cataract - are you cheating, Signore Levy?!?!!?!

I dig that you matched the percussion to your chords for White Giant - this is my favorite track so far. The synth lead is RIGHT up my alley.

I appreciate that the EP tone is varied throughout the album as well - you didn't just pick a patch and go with it. I dig the variety.

I definitely like the bubble "horns" in StarChaser. I also like the old-school drum machine. I'm a big fan of using old school tones in new ways as you are here. And I hear you sneaking in more piano - you just can't help it, can you? ;) This one has a nice evolution - I like that things come in and go out again at various points. Again with your linear compositions - it's quite a skill you have. I'm so rooted in dance music I feel like I'm cheating when I don't repeat a part.

So lastly - White Cloud Blue Mountain. The voice is ok - I can't decide whether I like or hate it. Not your playing, just the tone itself. I like the choice, as it is sonically unique next to the other tracks, but the tone itself is both interesting and cringe-inducing (think nails on a chalk-board). It keeps flip flopping on me - one second I dig it, the next second the hairs on my neck are raising. It's an interesting choice - I'd be interested to hear this track but replace the lead tone with Sopranotron....

Aside from that, the track is nice, but I still think White Giant is my favorite on the album. I like it - I feel like some of your most abstract work sounds like you're searching for something, whereas this has more solid footing for me. There's merit to both sides, but my listening preferences lead me here more often.

Impressive, and again I'm flattered to have been even the smallest inspiration to compile these to a single, Electric Piano-centric album.

Happy Birthday, sir! Thanks for the gift of your music and wit - we need more of that in the world.

• @Daveypoo said:
    WAIT A SECOND - I hear some "real" piano mixed in at the end of Into the Cataract - are you cheating, Signore Levy?!?!!?!

He just makes a lot of mistakes and hit the wrong preset. He's as blind as Steve Wonder
    and can't feel braille. Even tho' it's his EP album he won't do another take.

Oops. I promised to wait until after his birthday. WAIT. With the time zone changes it's after midnight in Turkey so I can start
    in again pointing out these defects. It's good to have someone else pitch in.

• Thanks so much @Daveypoo for listening and taking the time to write your observations. It’s very true, EPs don’t take me to a dissonant place. They have a consonant beauty I don’t like to mess with. That being said, probably some tracks are piano midi tracks with an EP plug in. One For Toz was a genuine EP track. That patch came from my Kawai, which is strong on EPS. Also, the ringing sustain on most EPs don’t allow for much discord. Just becomes an ugly mush. It is hard enough with iOS Pianos to get acceptable wrongness.

I agree, there is often a searching quality in my stuff. Not sure if that makes it less successful or not. I put the same gas in the tank every time, but the results vary due to climate and altitude. It’s almost always a crap shoot,

I never gave a thought to the iSymphonic Soprano voice being strident. For me it was a great discovery, I’ll have to listen again. Sopranotron won’t Play a midi track, I believe. I wish iSymph would do more solo voices. The choirs are as good as BeatHawk, IMO. I used Sopranotron in the last movement of my 1st Synthony and loved it.

Somehow I think we will meet in Istanbul. After all, Jacob Collier is playing the Istanbul Jazz Fest.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Somehow I think we will meet in Istanbul. After all, Jacob Collier is playing the Istanbul Jazz Fest.

Argh - that dude pisses me off. No one person should be that talented... share some with the rest of us, @$$ho!e.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Inspired by @Daveypoo’s love of all things electric piano, I improvised several different tracks featuring various EPS from NeoSoul Keys, iElectric and my Kawai MP11se onboard EP

Very, very nice wurlyGig. Like your alternative jazzy style. Perhaps we could do something together someday. Have some real saxes and an EWI windinstrument which i wanna do someting with in ios. At the moment i only use Embertone SS.

• @Frenq, sounds interesting. PM me with anything specific you have in mind, and I will give it some thought, too.