Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Secrets of the IOS Masters @ScottVanZandt and Nanostudio2 (No AUv3 instruments)

2»

Comments

• @dendy said:
    during sampling directly into NS2 don't forget the hidden gem in NS2 audio editor - "Actions > Save SEL" ... which allows you save just selected portion of sampled audio as separate file where original file stays still opened in audio editor selected - so you can then move using bottom middle handle to another sampled note and save it again as separate file with exactly same size ...

this, combined with grid quantisation enabled makes creating slices with same length from long recording super easy

this is super handy for recording one big take for more notes and then save each note as individual file...

Do you have any links to vids regarding this or other useful info for the app?

• Wow. Lovely piece.

I appreciate the description of the process. That seems a bridge too far for me and I cannot imagine the work involved in that. Too little time for music making as it is to engage in that sort of herculean task.

• @kinkujin said:
    Wow. Lovely piece.

I appreciate the description of the process. That seems a bridge too far for me and I cannot imagine the work involved in that. Too little time for music making as it is to engage in that sort of herculean task.

it's about commitment, not about lot of time... i have time for music max 1-2 hours evening after 21-22pm (until i don't fall asleep, tired as hell ;) - and definitely not everyday... Just slowly going forward... and after half of year i look back and i see lot of work done ;)

• @RUST( i )K said:

Here you can find lot of interestimg informations
    https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/366/tutorials-tips-tricks#latest

also in manual itself is "tips and tricks section"

If i finally force myself to improve my english speaking skills i will start makimg videos - it's my long term plan ;) i'm afraid for now nobody would understand me :-))))

• @kinkujin said:
    Wow. Lovely piece.

There is an important take away however. 30-40 tracks of anything without rendering to audio is an outstanding DAW.
    I was thinking I would never do 30 tracks of synths so I'll just wait for the audio recording to be added but people like
    Jacob at the Haq Attaq started declaring Obsidian one of his favorite synths. Then Scott showed that is could
    also play samples and let you use the synth features to mod those samples too.

To get something complex made in Cubasis you have to freeze the big AU's so I was making AudioLayer instruments to see
    if I could get more tracks. It was too painful by hand and then SynthJacker arrived and after 2-3 updates starting working to
    crank out instruments from AU's.

So, I was close to testing AudioLayer's in Cubasis to see how many tracks I could run before needing to freeze to audio and AudioLayer was unstable in Cubasis for freezing. I think a recent Cubasis update might have fixed this but I haven't had the enthusiasm to do the work. I've been practicing guitar and lost my steam for IOS music production.

IOS makes a great guitar practice rig, however. Bless @flo26 for showing me great IOS tools for guitar tone. MIDI Guitar 2
    makes playing any practice etudes a lot more fun too.

I think I'll try to make something with NS2 and push for a lot of tracks to see who breaks first: me or the DAW.

They have a nice Forum too and it will stop @Linearlineman and me from trashing each other here (for about 24 hours).
    Did you know he has a Birthday coming on July 2nd? Hopefully not his last. As a present download one of his BandCamp
    albums for free. Download only the best one only so he can figure out where the audience is. So, far the best one for me is #2 of 3.

• @McD
    I think I'll try to make something with NS2 and push for a lot of tracks to see who breaks first: me or the DAW

Did you saw this screenshot ? Hint - watch the track numbers :-) It's on iPad MINI5..

• @dendy said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Here you can find lot of interestimg informations
    https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/366/tutorials-tips-tricks#latest

also in manual itself is "tips and tricks section"

If i finally force myself to improve my english speaking skills i will start makimg videos - it's my long term plan ;) i'm afraid for now nobody would understand me :-))))

Thanks!

• So beautiful!!!
    Can’t wait for iPhone version!🎹🤪☝️🙏❤️

@dendy said:

@McD
    I think I'll try to make something with NS2 and push for a lot of tracks to see who breaks first: me or the DAW

Did you saw this screenshot ? Hint - watch the track numbers :-) It's on iPad MINI5..

• @dendy said:

@kinkujin said:
    Wow. Lovely piece.

it's about commitment, not about lot of time... i have time for music max 1-2 hours evening after 21-22pm (until i don't fall asleep, tired as hell ;) - and definitely not everyday... Just slowly going forward... and after half of year i look back and i see lot of work done ;)

For me, it's about time. And with little time, there are only so many things to commit to. I admire the work though.

• @dendy said:

dayyyyyyyyyyyyyum. Would you share the project archive please? I wanna try it on my Air 1. :) Because, Matt.

• edited June 2019

@syrupcore

It's simple patch

• 3x supersaw oscillator
    • 3 filters (lowpass, hipass and formant filter)
    • lfo > filter modulation
    • phaser, delay and plate reverb activated in obsidian FX unit
    • patch is playing 4 notes polyphony in sequencer)

every channel has same patch, latency set to "high", cpu load is around 70% with 100 tracks on Mini5

here is project "optimalised" for Air1, 21 tracks with approx same cpu load.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1lku6gl88i5muew/TestProject.nsa?dl=0

Btw obviously biggest CPU eaters in this project are reverbs - you usually don't use 21 reverbs in project :)) - so with a bit more meaningful project structure (like just 2-3 reverbs as sends, also not every track is usually playng 4 voices poly, not all tracks are playing simultaneously, etc etc) - real world scenario, when you're workimg on some meaningfull music, i think you can have lot more tracks in project without taking a care about CPU load...

• @dendy said:
    @syrupcore

It's simple patch

• 3x supersaw oscillator

every channel has same patch, latency set to "high", cpu load is around 70% with 100 tracks on Mini5

here is project "optimalised" for Air1, 21 tracks with approx same cpu load.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1lku6gl88i5muew/TestProject.nsa?dl=0

Btw obviously biggest CPU eaters in this project are reverbs - you usually don't use 21 reverbs in project :)) - so with a bit more meaningful project structure (like just 2-3 reverbs as sends, also not every track is usually playng 4 voices poly, not all tracks are playing simultaneously, etc etc) - real world scenario, when you're workimg on some meaningfull music, i think you can have lot more tracks in project without taking a care about CPU load...

That's what I was going to do—reduce it until it worked on the Air 1 to see how many tracks would work. 1:5 ratio from Air 1 to Mini 5 is astounding. Thanks for sharing the 21 track version.

Of course, as you say, no one uses 21 separate reverbs. Still, it's an interesting test for devices. ProTools users used to have a similar test in order to test custom PC builds.

• @syrupcore said:

@dendy said:
    @syrupcore

It's simple patch

• 2x supersaw oscillator
    • 1 filters (lowpass)
    • delay with 50% feedback activated in obsidian FX unit

every channel has same patch, latency set to "high"

Edited the above to what I think might be a slightly better measure of performance 'in real life'. Of course, rarely would anyone have 21 tracks playing 4 notes at once (I think?) but seems something like this would give a reasonable indication of per-device performance (not NS performance, really). I'll see about making one to share soon. Would love to see how many tracks folks get across different devices.

• edited June 2019

@dendy said:
    @syrupcore

It's simple patch

• 3x supersaw oscillator

400 notes polyphony with three oscillators per voice. Wow.

Edit: That's an interesting experiment.
    Tried it for fun on an iPad Mini 2, iOS 12.2:
    17 tracks without crackles using the built-in speaker
    19 tracks without crackles using headphones
    CPU load: 64 to 65%
    I've listened to a few loops to make sure there are no crackles, usually at the note-on positions.

Edit 2: By slightly moving track clips apart (just a few milliseconds), playing all 21 tracks click-free was no problem although cpu load went up to 75%.
    Battery level was at 20%.

• @rs2000 said:

and don't forget 100 long plate reverbs :-)

• @dendy said:

Does this shed any light on the reason it took so long to "birth" this baby? Is the developer really good at optimizations and willing to wait a year to get things right? Audio will take 2 years.

• @McD said:

@dendy said:

Does this shed any light on the reason it took so long to "birth" this baby? Is the developer really good at optimizations and willing to wait a year to get things right?

Yes. It does. You can run 16 tracks of NS1's Eden (with effects) on an iPhone 3Gs. It's crazy. Of course, there's no "willing to wait a year" involved. He works hard at this stuff. Even agonizes over it. We get to enjoy it.

Audio will take 2 years.

Maybe? I dunno. But it'll be work like nothing else! :)

• @syrupcore said:

@McD said:

@dendy said:

Does this shed any light on the reason it took so long to "birth" this baby? Is the developer really good at optimizations and willing to wait a year to get things right?

Yes. It does. You can run 16 tracks of NS1's Eden (with effects) on an iPhone 3Gs. It's crazy. Of course, there's no "willing to wait a year" involved. He works hard at this stuff. Even agonizes over it. We get to enjoy it.

Audio will take 2 years.

Maybe? I dunno. But it'll be work like nothing else! :)

Good to know. I created 3 tracks in Cubasis and it added 10 minutes of silence at the end of the mix-down.
    I never finished anything in Auria Pro.

I just fell into using AUM and never looked back. I like Apps that work. But I need audio. Sampled Audio will get me close
    but I will probably want to lay down a guitar solo at some point.

Adding audio will change the resources available to run 100 Obsidians. Sorry. Tradeoffs will be required.

• @rs2000 said:

@dendy said:
    @syrupcore

It's simple patch

• 3x supersaw oscillator

Edit: That's an interesting experiment.
    Tried it for fun on an iPad Mini 2, iOS 12.2:
    17 tracks without crackles using the built-in speaker
    19 tracks without crackles using headphones
    CPU load: 64 to 65%
    I've listened to a few loops to make sure there are no crackles, usually at the note-on positions.

Edit 2: By slightly moving track clips apart (just a few milliseconds), playing all 21 tracks click-free was no problem although cpu load went up to 75%.
    Battery level was at 20%.

Air 1: 60 tracks with four held notes looped of

• 2x OSC “supersaw”
    • 1x “12A” LPF
    • three active LFOs (all osc pitch, filter cutoff and amp gain)
    • obsidian delay set to stereo with 50% feedback.

With latency on “high”, no crackles. Says the measured latency is 11ms. Lower latencies (which seem to “measure” the same MS?) crackle. Haven’t done a clean reboot in a long while.

I mean, I knew this sucker was optimized but damn. 60 four note tracks on an Air 1 ffs! Will see how many I can get to before crackles and report back.

• edited June 2019

Lower latencies (which seem to “measure” the same MS?)

NS bug, i think i already reported it to mat - changing buffer size doesn't refresh displayed measured latency, only after app restart.

I mean, I knew this sucker was optimized but damn. 60 four note tracks on an Air 1 ffs! Will see how many I can get to before crackles and report back.

Yeah, there is hard to hit CPU limit even on 4-5 years old devices.

And on new devices ? I don't think there exists meaningful musical style where you can hit CPU limit with, let's say A12 cpu, if you're using just Obsidian, Slate and build-in FXs. J ust incredible. Instant creativity without limits for me :)

• FYI: @dendy put an NS2 zip file up at patchstorage.com I hope it's the first of many.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33509/nanostudio-2-now-available-at-patchstorage-com#latest

• I love what Scott is doing. We have been in touch, I’m not sure if he has SJ in his workflow yet.

Regarding the longer note durations (30 seconds or so): it opens up a lot of potential issues with disk storage space, so need to be careful there, but otherwise it’s doable, and I’m designing it on the side.

IAA support will most likely never come as such, but there is something else for IAA app users that I’m working on. You’ll probably thinks it’s either genius or totally obvious, or both, but let’s see. No release date, sorry. :smiley:

• edited July 2019

@coniferprod said:
    I love what Scott is doing. We have been in touch, I’m not sure if he has SJ in his workflow yet.

Regarding the longer note durations (30 seconds or so): it opens up a lot of potential issues with disk storage space, so need to be careful there, but otherwise it’s doable, and I’m designing it on the side.

It could be implemented as an option with a warning. "Remove 10 second limit. Caution - this could use a lot of disk space." That way those who have an iOS device with limited disk space won't run into trouble, and those who have a device with 256gb or more space can sample up to 30 seconds or so. I'm looking forward to this being added to SynthJacker. :) Thank you.

• McDMcD
    edited July 2019

I imagine the holdup will be testing so mark it as experimental.
    20-30 notes should be enough and the length of the recording close to 10-15 minutes.

Needless to say the source AUv3 or external synth needs to create sound above the threshold close to this time limits otherwise the chopper will spit out much shorter note samples or 5 seconds for example. It wouldn't make a piano sustain for 30 seconds.

But strings cycle sounds indefinitely. Organs, brass sections (staggered breathing in the group), tympani rolls, etc. That's what I want to play as close to real as possible without some reality destroying loop point. Making great loops that cycle without artifacts is great but that's another hand-made time sync making a personal orchestra for NS2.

• Scott keeps making great IOS film music using Nanostudio 2 with his custom sample set.

FYI: He also write in Gadget and uses GarageBand instrument according to his soundcloud
    notes.

• Always glad to listen to Scott’s stuff. I wish he would direct his talents to other forms of music as well. I would like to hear some music that didn’t have that dense orchestral core. As I become more experienced with iOS I find myself less forgiving of the mush factor when one piles on a bunch of instruments no matter how good the sample set.

I would be so curious to hear what he does in a desktop format. Although I am as much of an iOS fan as ever, I just think orchestral music, unless handled in the most delicate way, is still out of reach using an iPad. I avoid anything more than four or five instruments at a time now. The WOW effect of having so much at one’s fingertips has worn off a bit, I guess.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Always glad to listen to Scott’s stuff. I wish he would direct his talents to other forms of music as well. I would like to hear some music that didn’t have that dense orchestral core. As I become more experienced with iOS I find myself less forgiving of the mush factor when one piles on a bunch of instruments no matter how good the sample set.

I would be so curious to hear what he does in a desktop format. Although I am as much of an iOS fan as ever, I just think orchestral music, unless handled in the most delicate way, is still out of reach using an iPad. I avoid anything more than four or five instruments at a time now. The WOW effect of having so much at one’s fingertips has worn off a bit, I guess.

He has an interesting piece created with Gadget up on soundcloud.