Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Randomized scaler held notes ~Rozeta scaler +Rozeta lfo

Hello @brambos

I am attempting to use Rozeta scaler in conjunction with Rozeta LFO to create a midi filter that makes the incoming note pitches jump up and down

My workflow is this
Rozeta scaler 1(initial transposition and scaling)
Rozeta scaler 2 (scaler 1 is routed to 2, pre transposition is controlled by Rozeta LFO)
Rozeta LFO (output fed to Rozeta scaler 2)

I have tried many configurations including only using a single instance of scaler (better for my purposes to use two as it allows for more transposition control) ~ have tried randomizing the post transposition , pre transposition, tempo syncing the LFO etc~ no matter what I do it seems if I am playing a slew of fast notes I get infinitely held notes with the LFO modulating the scaler. This does not happen if I am not modulating the scaler. I am using TC data to send control signals so there are many rapidly firing notes as I drag my finger across the screen

Is there any way that I can configure the interaction of the LFO and the scaler such that I will not get infinitely held/stuck notes or would something need to be tweaked within the backend of the scaler plugin itself?

Thanks so much again!!

Comments

• You get held notes because the note-on may transpose to a different note than the note off if the transpose changed while the note is held.

I already handled such problems in some of my mozaic scripts. Upon note-on, the transposition result for the current note has to be stored and when the current note‘s note-off arrives, the stored result has to be send as note-off since the transposition may have meanwhile changed.

I can post a short script taking a fixed CC as transpose input (val 64 is center) and also handles the note-on/ooff problem for all incoming channels.

• @_ki said:
    You get held notes because the note-on may transpose to a different note than the note off if the transpose changed while the note is held.

I already handled such problems in some of my mozaic scripts. Upon note-on, the transposition result for the current note has to be stored and when the current note‘s note-off arrives, the stored result has to be send as note-off since the transposition may have meanwhile changed.

I can post a short script taking a fixed CC as transpose input (val 64 is center) and also handles the note-on/ooff problem for all incoming channels.

Amazing thank you so so much

If you wouldn’t mind reposting that code I’d love that thank you!

• _ki_ki
    edited June 2019

@annahahn The initial working version was:

@OnLoad
      ccCmd = 0xB0   // Midi-CC-Cmd on channel 0   
      ccId  = 13
      transpose =  0    

LabelKnobs {Midi-CC Automatable Transposer 0.1}
      ResetNoteStates -1  
    @End

@OnMidiInput
      if MIDICommand = 0x90
        note = MIDINote + transpose
        if note >= 0 and note <= 127
          SendMIDINoteOn MIDIChannel, note, MIDIVelocity 
          SetNoteState MIDIChannel, MIDINote , note
        endif

elseif MIDICommand = 0x80
        note = GetNoteState MIDIChannel, MIDINote 
        if note >= 0
          SendMIDINoteOff MIDIChannel, note, MIDIVelocity 
          SetNoteState MIDIChannel, MIDINote , -1
        endif

elseif MIDICommand = ccCmd and MIDIByte2 = ccId
        transpose = MIDIByte3 -64

else
        SendMIDIThru
      endif
    @End

But it didn‘t take that long to add support for knobs to specify CC channel, CC ID and transposition.

Because Mozaic includes scale support (which i didn’t play around with yet) and i was already into it, i added optional scale and root-note support and two more CCs (which also got their knobs) and now you can find the full featured script on patchstorage :)

• @_ki said:
    @annahahn The initial working version was:

@OnLoad
      ccCmd = 0xB0   // Midi-CC-Cmd on channel 0   
      ccId  = 13
      transpose =  0    

LabelKnobs {Midi-CC Automatable Transposer 0.1}
      ResetNoteStates -1  
    @End

@OnMidiInput
      if MIDICommand = 0x90
        note = MIDINote + transpose
        if note >= 0 and note <= 127
          SendMIDINoteOn MIDIChannel, note, MIDIVelocity 
          SetNoteState MIDIChannel, MIDINote , note
        endif

elseif MIDICommand = 0x80
        note = GetNoteState MIDIChannel, MIDINote 
        if note >= 0
          SendMIDINoteOff MIDIChannel, note, MIDIVelocity 
          SetNoteState MIDIChannel, MIDINote , -1
        endif

elseif MIDICommand = ccCmd and MIDIByte2 = ccId
        transpose = MIDIByte3 -64

else
        SendMIDIThru
      endif
    @End

But it didn‘t take that long to add support for knobs to specify CC channel, CC ID and transposition.

Because Mozaic includes scale support (which i didn’t play around with yet) and i was already into it, i added optional scale and root-note support and two more CCs (which also got their knobs) and now you can find the full featured script on patchstorage :)

Hi @_ki !

Thank you so much for this! The full fledged version of your patch works very very well

One question, when your patch receives a rapid slew of notes from rapidly dragging 2 or 3 of my fingers across the TC data screen your patch still produces some stuck/held notes

Are there any easy tweaks/parameter changes I can make to your code that will eliminate this problem or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

Some synths are more prone to stuck notes than others. Sometimes, even if the upstream app is sending all the right note-ons and offs, apps just don’t process them 100%, particularly if there are a lot of notes and, especially polyphony.

Can you flood the app you’re playing with TC-Data and no intervening apps without getting stuck notes? If so then it’s the plugins, if not then it’s the app.

It seems that no matter how hard I try to eliminate stuck notes, there are always a few that get away. Could be lack of programming skill on my part, but in that I’m not alone. Lots of apps get or cause stuck notes.

• edited June 2019

@wim said:
    Some synths are more prone to stuck notes than others. Sometimes, even if the upstream app is sending all the right note-ons and offs, apps just don’t process them 100%, particularly if there are a lot of notes and, especially polyphony.

Can you flood the app you’re playing with TC-Data and no intervening apps without getting stuck notes? If so then it’s the plugins, if not then it’s the app.

It seems that no matter how hard I try to eliminate stuck notes, there are always a few that get away. Could be lack of programming skill on my part, but in that I’m not alone. Lots of apps get or cause stuck notes.

Hi @wim !

Thanks for this~ yes in this instance I can successfully flood the app with notes from TC-data without a stuck note UNTIL I introduce the note transposer that @_constructed in mozaic

• Ahh. Well, yes, I’ve had the same challenges. When I look at the code of one of my scripts, that I worked very hard to assure had no stuck notes, I can’t find any cause, yet occasionally they are there. It’s a tough problem. @_ki is a much better programmer than I am, so I guess I don’t feel quite as bad about my issues if stuck notes can escape his net too.

• I’ll also have another look at Scaler itself when I find the time. But it should already have precautions for stuck notes built in :)

• @annahahn said:
    Thanks for this~ yes in this instance I can successfully flood the app with notes from TC-data without a stuck note UNTIL I introduce the note transposer that @_constructed in mozaic

Are there still stuck notes, if the transposer script is not automated ?

If not then i have an idea what‘s happening. In my midi matrix script i checked both the input and output notes for double note-on/off, in this script i only checked the input. If for instance one input note is transposed to C3, there might be a second, different input note that is also transposed to C3 since the transpose might have changed. This double C3 will produce problems in the synth, even if there are 2 note-offs for it.

So i‘ll add a second ‚test-for-double-notes‘ to the script, sorry that i missed that possibility in the first run :)

Since Mozaic only offers one NoteState array, i‘ll need to trick arround by mapping both stages into a single array - i already have code for that :)

• _ki_ki
    edited June 2019

You‘ll have to wait for an updated script, as on my iPad there is a ‚save‘ problem in the just updated 1.0.7 Mozaic version.

I had everything ready and tested and even coded a unit-testing script that generated all corner cases, like double-note on/off, or double notes after transposing etc . I probably need to recode and re-debug everything after a Mozaic bugfix is released.

Since i‘ll be offline for a week, a new script will not be available until thursday next week :/

Of course i‘ve written a Mozaic bug report.

• @_ki said:
    You‘ll have to wait for an updated script, as on my iPad there is a ‚save‘ problem in the just updated 1.0.7 Mozaic version.

Yeah, expect a fast fix asap. I'm on it.

• @_ki said:

I had everything ready and tested and even coded a unit-testing script that generated all corner cases, like double-note on/off, or double notes after transposing etc . I probably need to recode and re-debug everything after a Mozaic bugfix is released.

Since i‘ll be offline for a week, a new script will not be available until thursday next week :/

Amazing thank you so much @_ki ~really appreciate you helping us out with an updated version🙌🙌🙌

• _ki_ki
    edited July 2019

@annahahn
    I Just updated the patchstorage version to v1.1 that includes an updated note-on/off handling and hopefully got rid of stuck notes.