Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mixdown frustrations using Binaural Location in Cubasis 2.8 (iPad Pro 2018 11in) [Solved]

I have an 11 track tune that I needed to submit to an online project (10 track midi (3 Ravenscroft, 7 built-in Cubasis instruments, 1 track audio Digital D1).
96 bars 3:08 track

Mixdown between locators to WAV hardly any progress after 3 minutes and almost zero CPU activity.

After cancelling out of mixdown it shot up to 100% CPU and stayed there so I exited Cubasis and re-opened.

Chose Compatibilty mode for mixdown because of failure and the Digital D1 track and a Micrologue Arpeggiator track were no longer in time (they played back too fast). Mixdown time about 33 secs.

Choosing Realtime mixdown because the mixdown was inaccurate, mixdown time was about 3 minutes, as expected for real time. No noticeable CPU activity during mixdown but fluctuating CPU around 50% following end of mixdown without any action by me. On playback of mix, again Digital D1 and Micrologue ARP tracks are not playing in time and a bismark bs16i midi track was distorted and garbled.!

Tried to freeze the Digital D1 track no visible progress after 3 minutes.
Changing the setting to Realtime freeze again actually appears much faster than the standard freeze! But after appearing to complete (in about 4 minutes) it hung for another 3 minutes or so and produced a 262 bar (8:44) track! CPU stuck at 100% and unable to playback the project!

So, closed Cubasis again and re-opened - playback now OK again with no significant CPU but still unable to do a full mixdown.

In desperation I deleted the Digital D1 track and re-recorded it with a Microsonic Analog Bass, which also would not freeze with the standard settings and when Compatibility Freeze was selected, a 238 bar track was produced with the audio way out of time.

So I tried with RealTime freeze option and this time it took a very long time (over 8 minutes) and produced a 264.5 bar (8:44) track - with audio out of time again!

Tried to freeze 2 bs16i midi tracks but ordinary freeze did not appear to start so tried the compatibility setting and once again it hung for a couple of minutes after appearing to finish and produced a 238 bar track with the frozen audio way out of time with the original midi and project!

At this point I gave up and connected my iPad to my PC via 3.5 jack dongle to 2 1/4 in jacks into Audacity via my M-Audio interface and record the Cubasis playback to get a wav file!

So disappointing! Making music on my iPad used to be a lot of fun but more and more it is extremely frustrating!

Comments

• edited June 2019

@AlterEgo_UK Yo geeza - try a mixdown by totally removing all 3rd party plugins & instruments. Leave only the Cubasis plugins. If it works re add a plugin one by one between doing test mixdowns. That may resolve. Note - i know while testing you will not hear the midi within mixdown but steps in troubleshooting.
    It seems there is a plugin conflict as opposed to a Cubasis issue.
    If all else fails bounce (not freeze) the midi stuff and re import as wav. Make sure the wav bounce has same bit & sample rate as the Cubasis Project settings. Let me know if any joy..cool

• @stormbeats said:
    @AlterEgo_UK Yo geeza - try a mixdown by totally removing all 3rd party plugins & instruments. Leave only the Cubasis plugins. If it works re add a plugin one by one between doing test mixdowns. That may resolve. Note - i know while testing you will not hear the midi within mixdown but steps in troubleshooting.
    It seems there is a plugin conflict as opposed to a Cubasis issue.
    If all else fails bounce (not freeze) the midi stuff and re import as wav. Make sure the wav bounce has same bit & sample rate as the Cubasis Project settings. Let me know if any joy..cool

Thanks @stormbeats Will give it a try tomorrow!

• Hey, I couldn’t wait so I tried removing a plugin at a time and discovered the culprit! It was Binaural Location by Ngo Minh Ngoc who I believe is @Blue_Mangoo ! After I removed that plugin the project mixed down perfectly (apologies @LFS )! I noticed that the latest Binaural Location update was supposed to fix Auria/Cubasis mixdown but apparently it hasn’t fixed it in Cubasis at least! Thanks again @stormbeats

• @AlterEgo_UK, what a great place this forum is! Glad your problem was solved and I hope Cubasis and iOS in general are salvaged in your playbook. @stormbeats knows his stuff as do many others. Please put "solved" on your header. I am sure @LFS would appreciate it. I have often thought Cubasis a bad actor (even tho I love it) but it is always something else (like my own stupidity) that is the cause. I was always suspicious of that app... I mean it's bad enough to be located monaurally!

• edited June 2019

Thanks for the reminder about the subject heading @LinearLineman . It was way past my bedtime and I was just so pleased the issue was resolved.
    I too love Cubasis and most of the time there is a fairly quick or obvious workaround for the occasional issues I come across (and most of them are not the fault of Cubasis). This one was particularly frustrating because I was trying to get it done quickly for a time sensitive project.
    I have been working with iOS for my music since the iPad 2 days and I love the immediacy (usually) of music making on iOS and with iPAD OS and full drive accessibility that should only get better. Plus the support on this forum is absolutely first class.

• LFSLFS
    edited June 2019

Hi @AlterEgo_UK,

Is this the plug-in that causes the mixdown issues?

Binaural Location
    Ngo Minh Ngoc
    https://apps.apple.com/app/id1467869713

If so, I will try to get in touch to let them know about the problem.
    Please do the same and create a bug report, to make them aware of the issue.

Lastly, it would be great if you could change the topic title, since Cubasis does not cause the mixdown frustration The first sentence also mentions nightmare and our app. All of this leaves a pretty bad overall impression, while the issue is fully unrelated to Cubasis!

Thank you!

Best wishes,
    Lars

• @AlterEgo_UK said:
    Hey, I couldn’t wait so I tried removing a plugin at a time and discovered the culprit! It was Binaural Location by Ngo Minh Ngoc who I believe is @Blue_Mangoo ! After I removed that plugin the project mixed down perfectly (apologies @LFS )! I noticed that the latest Binaural Location update was supposed to fix Auria/Cubasis mixdown but apparently it hasn’t fixed it in Cubasis at least! Thanks again @stormbeats

@AlterEgo_UK your welcome :)

• edited June 2019

@AlterEgo_UK , @stormbeats , @LinearLineman
    yes, i have some issues with binaural location in cubasis mixdowns.. it’s definitely a culprit , but i like what it does.. realtime mixdown has normally fixed it for me though.. and it hasn’t messed up other tracks.. i am on a 2nd gen pro 10.5 ios 11.3 .. so some issues might be these newer pro’s/ ios’s ( perhaps?)
    the other issue i have with Binaural Location ( hello @Blue_Mangoo ! )
    is using the mono input with an orbit. often when opening up the project again or after a mixdown attempt the sound on the track with bin loc on will disappear completely.. this is ONLY solvable by switching off ORBIT, then swithcing off mono, playing the track a second or two then switching it back to mono then orbit again.. then I hit the (real time) mixdown button whilst the track is playing and i can hear the binaural effect is working... a bit of a long winded faff,,, but the results are fine for me..

• @LFS said:
    Hi @AlterEgo_UK,

Is this the plug-in that causes the mixdown issues?

Binaural Location
    Ngo Minh Ngoc
    https://apps.apple.com/app/id1467869713

If so, I will try to get in touch to let them know about the problem.
    Please do the same and create a bug report, to make them aware of the issue.

Lastly, it would be great if you could change the topic title, since Cubasis does not cause the mixdown frustration The first sentence also mentions nightmare and our app. All of this leaves a pretty bad overall impression, while the issue is fully unrelated to Cubasis!

Thank you!

Best wishes,
    Lars

Hi Lars

Thanks for the response. Yes, that is the app that appears to cause all of my mixdown and track freezing issues in this project. It is amazing that an instance of a plug-in on a single track insert can create issues for freezing of other tracks that do not have that plugin but that certainly appears to be the case here.

After removing Binaural Location from the Insert FX of track where I had put it, the full Mixdown worked and freezing the other tracks that were problematic with timing being out also worked OK!

I have changed the title, and the first sentence of my post, as requested but removed the [Solved] because until Binaural Location is updated mixdown will still prove to be a frustration in Cubasis - even though Cubasis itself is not the cause of the problem (apologies again @LFS ). I hope @Blue_Mangoo manages to resolve this soon as Binaural Location has the potential to be a very useful effect.

I have been a long time user of Cubasis on iOS and produced many albums using it. It remains my favourite DAW. :smile:

Cheers
    Colin

• Hi @AlterEgo_UK,

Thank you for your feedback and topic title changes - greatly appreciated!

Please note that I've shared the topic with Blue Mangoo, asking for their feedback.
    Please make sure to inform them as well, to make them aware of the topic.

Thanks,
    Lars

• edited June 2019

Binaural Location seems to mixdown fine for me in BM3.

• edited June 2019

I tested multiple instances of Binaural Location in Nanostudio 2 on an existing project. Well first I did a "save as" so as to preserve the original project. Then I applied Binaural Locator to most of the tracks (roughly 10 instances), doing some minor tweaks to get the mix to sound correct. Then I performed the mixdown. Everything seemed to mix down fine, until the end of the mixdown where a "pop" sound emitted, CPU spiked to 100% temporarily for about a half of a second, and then things seemed to go back to normal.

Then I decided to listen to the exported wav after sharing it to AudioShare, and most of the sounds that had Binaural Locator weren't sounding at all. I went back into the NS2 project, and the same sounds weren't sounding at all. I reloaded the project, and same deal.

The issue is definitely not in Cubasis nor Nanostudio 2. It's the plugin.

• @AlterEgo_UK is it working now with the latest update?

I have been staying off the forums recently because I need to get more work done. If you’re having difficulty with any of our apps, we respond to email even when we aren’t reading this forum.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    @AlterEgo_UK is it working now with the latest update?

I have been staying off the forums recently because I need to get more work done. If you’re having difficulty with any of our apps, we respond to email even when we aren’t reading this forum.

Edit: just checked the work list. It looks like many things were fixed last week but no update submitted to the App Store. We will work on this.

• Hi @Blue_Mangoo
    No, the latest update hasn't fixed Binaural Location in Cubasis!

As a test I created a new project 4 bars long:
    Track 1 - Cubasis Acoustic Piano, playing single notes
    Track 2 - Bismark bs16i drums, playing a simple rhythm
    Track 3 - A Cubasis Micrologue ARP preset playing one long note.

I added Binaural Location as AUv3 as an Insert Effect on Track 3.
    I then selected track 2 and tried to freeze it - after over 2 minutes it still hadn't frozen so I cancelled out and the CPU was maxed out.
    I then removed Binaural Location from Track 3 and tried to freeze Track 2 and it froze instantly (although it did add an extra 8 bars of silence!).

I have iPad Pro 2018 11 inch with latest public version of iOS.

• Hi @AlterEgo_UK
    I'm a developer of Bluemangoo. We can not replicate your bug you reported. Could you send us a Cubasis project that contains the bug related to Binaural Location. You can get that via iTunes. Please email us at [email protected] if possible.
    Thank you !

• @Bluemangoo_Dev_1 Hey, welcome to the forum! Nice work on your apps! :smiley:

• @Bluemangoo_Dev_1 you also win sweetest avatar award :smile:

• @Bluemangoo_Dev_1 said:
    Hi @AlterEgo_UK
    I'm a developer of Bluemangoo. We can not replicate your bug you reported. Could you send us a Cubasis project that contains the bug related to Binaural Location. You can get that via iTunes. Please email us at [email protected] if possible.
    Thank you !

Hi @Bluemangoo_Dev_1
    Welcome!
    I will email you a Cubasis project later. Off to work now!
    Thanks for looking at this issue.

• Hi @Bluemangoo_Dev_1
    The email and an example Cubasis project are on the way to you!
    Thanks,

• @AlterEgo_UK Thanks for your project you sent. I fixed the mixdown bug on Cubasis. The new version should come in next few days.

• Thank you, @Bluemangoo_Dev_1 - much appreciated! :smile:

• Today's update to Binaural Location has indeed fixed the mixdown issue I had in Cubasis!
    Thanks @Bluemangoo_Dev_1 :smiley:

• @AlterEgo_UK Glad to hear that. Thank you !