Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New FabFilter apps

Comments

• @boone51 said:

@McD said:

@Philh0954 said:
    Can anybody check to see if the new FabFilter plugins work inside of Midi Guitar2? I bought Pro Q2 awhile back and found that it crashed MG2 as soon as I added it to an FX slot. I contacted Jam Origin and was told they’d look into it. I was wondering if Pro Q3 and the rest of them were stable inside MG2.

Pro Q2 and Pro Q3 make it crash.
    Pro R is working for me. I have an iPad 2018 that has 2GB of RAM.

To test I loaded Pro Q2 and Q3 into the guitar FX slot #1 and both crashed the standalone app.

Pro-R loaded for the Guitar successfully and I loaded up a MIDI Neo Soul "Pure Platinum Synth" with some strings and added Pro-R to that as well so 2 copies running.

I kept loading FX apps for the guitar channel adding BlueMagoo Parametric Equalizer which for $3 is pretty damn cool and the new DDMF "Magic Death Eye" compressor.

I save this setup as a config and started up AUM.
    I loaded MIDI Guitar as an FX App and followed it with Pro Q3 in AUM.
    Hit record and uploaded this sound file:

NOTE: MIDI Guitar works on iPhones but Fab Filters do not so. The GUI's are too complex for the small screen but I'll bet from a RAM CPU perspective they would work there. Too bad. I'd create AUM projects and run then on the iPhones too.

Did you restart your iPad after the installs? Forgive the obvious question if you did please.

I did not restart the iPad. I'll try it... don't hold your breath that it will suddenly work.

TEST:
    1. iPad off.
    2. iPad on.
    3. Watching the Apple Logo.
    4. Starting MIDI Guitar
    5. Preset with Pro-R's (but no Q 2 or 3) working.
    7. (Skip this second time through) Swapping in Pro Q 2 for "Parametric Equalizer" App... wait for it. CRASH.
    8. (Skip this second time through) Go To 1.
    7. Swapping in Pro Q3. Longer wait this time to load App but then... CRASH.

Power off/on. Just load Pro Q3 into MIDI Guitar FX Slot with no other FX'es loaded: CRASH.

Sorry mate. It's a bug. Who owns the fix?

I wonder how QuantiLoop Pro works with it. Cool Pro-Q 2, Pro-Q3 and Pro-R all load and work together.
    Any other Apps that host AUv3's worth testing? I have this app called AUHost that has 4 AUv3 slots.
    Loading Q2, Q3, R and Magic Death Eye works at one time in AUHost.

So, I just loaded Q3 AUHost and started MIDI Guitar. Loaded Pro-R in the MIDI FX slot. The guitar is getting the Q3 FX from AUHost and generating MIDI events for the interbank sounds and AU Apps in MIDI Guitar. Lots of cracking added to the mix.

Looks like a MIDI Guitar issue to me.

• @tk32 said:
    I am still interested to hear from anyone who bought Pro-Q 2 full price, and upgraded to Pro-Q3 for £15/$15. Did it make any difference to the full bundle price afterwards?

No difference. Still full $129.99 price for Pro bundle

• @Hmtx said:

@tk32 said:
    I am still interested to hear from anyone who bought Pro-Q 2 full price, and upgraded to Pro-Q3 for £15/$15. Did it make any difference to the full bundle price afterwards?

No difference. Still full $129.99 price for Pro bundle

Exactly

• Another data point: I bought Q3 before the upgrade option or the bundle appeared, and then paid $100 for the bundle when it appeared.

If someone bought the upgrade and then bought the bundle, they should return the upgrade.

• McDMcD
    edited June 2019

@mojozart said:
    Another data point: I bought Q3 before the upgrade option or the bundle appeared, and then paid $100 for the bundle when it appeared.

If someone bought the upgrade and then bought the bundle, they should return the upgrade.

I did just that so I'll request the refund for the $27 Upgrade and see how that works for me as a recourse. I went ahead and bought the Pro Bundle to learn more about Pro Studio tools. I have put all 8 Apps in an AUM Channel and started playing with each in turn.

The Multi-Band Compressor is great. The Gate effective for "hum" of course but I'm still using Brusfri to keep it things clean.

It turns out Fiddlicator has a Delay (and a Reverb) so it earned a slot for it's IR file loading of
    Cabinets for guitar.

FuzzPlus3 gets a slot for distortion.

I added (2) Magic Death Eyes to dial in a lot of Tube colors.

13 FX in all and AUM DSP idles around 65%. At any time I only use about 6-7 of them.
    I think I'll map my 4 Button BlueBoard to toggle things on and off. Every time I get something I like I save another AUM Project.

The DeEsser will probably make me finally test the $4.80 Mic Mic I bought after someone here disclosed the insane pricing. I need to write a song with 100 S'es.

This is my first experimental recording using these new Tools. It's just guitar fumbling but
    I think you can hear sonic quality in the Reverb for sure. Lot's of compression and EQ tweaking by open an FX app playing some and adjusting. They are good tools for the AUM approach to live playing. All 8 are overkill but the Reverb, Q3, MB or C2. Not so sure yet about when and how to use the Limiter and Gate but anyone with side-chaining skills could
    probably using that Gate effectively.

I should have had the Limiter last in the chain. Lot's of clipping. Like I say I want to learn by doing.

• @McD said:

@mojozart said:
    Another data point: I bought Q3 before the upgrade option or the bundle appeared, and then paid $100 for the bundle when it appeared.

I did just that so I'll request the refund for the $27 Upgrade and see how that works for me as a recourse.

Hm, I could stand to have $15 back...you guys let me know how that goes, as I had massive problems doing something similar for an album from iTunes a few weeks ago (cancelling a pre-order and buying the album made 4 of the singles already released completely unavailable to me).

• @McD said:
    Hm, I could stand to have $15 back...you guys let me know how that goes, as I had massive problems doing something similar for an album from iTunes a few weeks ago (cancelling a pre-order and buying the album made 4 of the singles already released completely unavailable to me).

Yeah... something could go wrong and I could loose the rights to Q3. I'll just give them the extra $27 and wait for more products. I don't begrudge them the revenue for the quality of their work and it documents the answer to the question about starting with the upgrade before the bundle. If I had just bought Q3 outright it would have lowered my Bundle price by $30 I believe. My upgrade saved me $3 short-term and then cost me $27 overall. Overall I spent $157 + $15 for $270 worth of FF Apps. A $98 (36%) discount.

• @recccp said:
    I understand Q2 is quite easy on CPU. Can someone check out Q3, C2 and Pro-R please, like how many instances can you load?

Given that I’m on beta OS take it with a grain of salt, but on an iPad Pro 12.9 (most recent) I ran 8 instances of C-2 and R in Auria pro (using the new auv3 versions, not Auria’s Internal ones) and CPU went up to 38% with all tracks running duplicates of the same constant 4 minute audio. I threw on another 8 instances of Pro-L and the CPU went up to 61% with a total of 24 fabfilter plugins running at the same time. I can’t test Q-3 as it crashes every daw i throw it into right now.

• edited June 2019

@recccp said:
    I understand Q2 is quite easy on CPU. Can someone check out Q3, C2 and Pro-R please, like how many instances can you load?

(I’m testing this in AUM at 44.1 sample rate and 256 buffer size, on my 1st Gen 12.9 iPad Pro. Mileage will obviously vary depending on your device and settings).

Q3 seems to have retained Q2’s efficiency. With 5 audio tracks each having 6 instances of Q3, the 30 instances caused the DSP to go from 3% to 35-38%, or about 1% per instance. Each instance had about 5 bands in zero latency mode. I’m not sure how dynamic bands or switching to natural or linear phase would impact things.

C2 is much more demanding, especially if you use oversampling. Each instance of C2 seemed to take about 4% of total DSP with the ‘bit of control’ preset with no oversample, 6% with 2x oversampling, and 10% with 4x oversampling.

Each instance of Pro-R seemed to use about 8-12% of total DSP, so it’s obviously a candidate for an aux bus or tracks destined to be frozen. But is sounds lovely. :)

Going further afield: Pro-L2 uses about 15%/18%/20% at none/2x/4x oversampling. Pro-MB with the ‘4-band punch and balance’ preset used 13%/18%/24%.

• @McD said:

@boone51 said:

@McD said:

@Philh0954 said:
    Can anybody check to see if the new FabFilter plugins work inside of Midi Guitar2? I bought Pro Q2 awhile back and found that it crashed MG2 as soon as I added it to an FX slot. I contacted Jam Origin and was told they’d look into it. I was wondering if Pro Q3 and the rest of them were stable inside MG2.

Pro Q2 and Pro Q3 make it crash.
    Pro R is working for me. I have an iPad 2018 that has 2GB of RAM.

To test I loaded Pro Q2 and Q3 into the guitar FX slot #1 and both crashed the standalone app.

Pro-R loaded for the Guitar successfully and I loaded up a MIDI Neo Soul "Pure Platinum Synth" with some strings and added Pro-R to that as well so 2 copies running.

I kept loading FX apps for the guitar channel adding BlueMagoo Parametric Equalizer which for $3 is pretty damn cool and the new DDMF "Magic Death Eye" compressor.

I save this setup as a config and started up AUM.
    I loaded MIDI Guitar as an FX App and followed it with Pro Q3 in AUM.
    Hit record and uploaded this sound file:

NOTE: MIDI Guitar works on iPhones but Fab Filters do not so. The GUI's are too complex for the small screen but I'll bet from a RAM CPU perspective they would work there. Too bad. I'd create AUM projects and run then on the iPhones too.

Did you restart your iPad after the installs? Forgive the obvious question if you did please.

I did not restart the iPad. I'll try it... don't hold your breath that it will suddenly work.

TEST:
    1. iPad off.
    2. iPad on.
    3. Watching the Apple Logo.
    4. Starting MIDI Guitar
    5. Preset with Pro-R's (but no Q 2 or 3) working.
    7. (Skip this second time through) Swapping in Pro Q 2 for "Parametric Equalizer" App... wait for it. CRASH.
    8. (Skip this second time through) Go To 1.
    7. Swapping in Pro Q3. Longer wait this time to load App but then... CRASH.

Power off/on. Just load Pro Q3 into MIDI Guitar FX Slot with no other FX'es loaded: CRASH.

Sorry mate. It's a bug. Who owns the fix?

I wonder how QuantiLoop Pro works with it. Cool Pro-Q 2, Pro-Q3 and Pro-R all load and work together.
    Any other Apps that host AUv3's worth testing? I have this app called AUHost that has 4 AUv3 slots.
    Loading Q2, Q3, R and Magic Death Eye works at one time in AUHost.

So, I just loaded Q3 AUHost and started MIDI Guitar. Loaded Pro-R in the MIDI FX slot. The guitar is getting the Q3 FX from AUHost and generating MIDI events for the interbank sounds and AU Apps in MIDI Guitar. Lots of cracking added to the mix.

Looks like a MIDI Guitar issue to me.

Thanks for all the testing. Good to hear that at least Pro R works. I contacted Jam Origin on their forum about the problem with Pro Q2 a couple months ago. Here’s their response: Yes, I see the problem… we are looking into it. Thanks for reporting.
    I followed up yesterday but haven’t heard back.

• Pro Q3 bug in Cubasis

don’t apply the eq after reopen a project
    Can somebody test it?

• @Tovokas said:

@recccp said:

(I’m testing this in AUM at 44.1 sample rate and 256 buffer size, on my 1st Gen 12.9 iPad Pro. Mileage will obviously vary depending on your device and settings).

Q3 seems to have retained Q2’s efficiency. With 5 audio tracks each having 6 instances of Q3, the 30 instances caused the DSP to go from 3% to 35-38%, or about 1% per instance. Each instance had about 5 bands in zero latency mode. I’m not sure how dynamic bands or switching to natural or linear phase would impact things.

C2 is much more demanding, especially if you use oversampling. Each instance of C2 seemed to take about 4% of total DSP with the ‘bit of control’ preset with no oversample, 6% with 2x oversampling, and 10% with 4x oversampling.

Each instance of Pro-R seemed to use about 8-12% of total DSP, so it’s obviously a candidate for an aux bus or tracks destined to be frozen. But is sounds lovely. :)

Going further afield: Pro-L2 uses about 15%/18%/20% at none/2x/4x oversampling. Pro-MB with the ‘4-band punch and balance’ preset used 13%/18%/24%.

Keep in mind that until crackling/dropouts kick in, the CPU-use numbers are not super meaningful because of the way CPU throttling works.

• @McD said:

@McD said:

Yeah... something could go wrong and I could loose the rights to Q3. I'll just give them the extra $27 and wait for more products. I don't begrudge them the revenue for the quality of their work and it documents the answer to the question about starting with the upgrade before the bundle. If I had just bought Q3 outright it would have lowered my Bundle price by $30 I believe. My upgrade saved me $3 short-term and then cost me $27 overall. Overall I spent $157 + $15 for $270 worth of FF Apps. A $98 (36%) discount.

If you haven't done so, contact FabFilter. Given how screwy the bundle system is, they might not be aware of the issue and might need to create another bundle for that case.

• @rafaelollero said:
    Pro Q3 bug in Cubasis

don’t apply the eq after reopen a project
    Can somebody test it?

Yah it has a bug. If you save the settings as a preset, make a tweak and then load the newly saved preset it wakes up.

• edited June 2019

Is side-chaining with C2 in IOS possible? How gets the side-chain-signal to the compressor?

• @Philh0954 said:
    Thanks for all the testing.

Thank you for reminding me to open MIDI Guitar. I forgot how much fun it is to change the MIDI controller for a new App like Pure Synth Platinum. Then adding Pro-R to the fun. We have some amazing
    capabilities now in IOS that are pretty solid. Too bad about the Q's but Blue Mangoo Parametric is a decent substitute or running MIDI Guitar in AUM and EQ'ing just before or after in a channel.

What have you been using for EQ while you wait for a fix?

• McDMcD
    edited June 2019

I can see the controls for sidechaining in C2 with an Internal and External Option.
    I tried running 2 instances to see if just putting one internal and the other external was the trick but I don't see any obvious impact on the outputs of the two AUM channels.

It may require AUM to create the capability to Bus an output into an FX app.

There are small controls in the Sidechain area labeled:
    Mid Side M->S S->M

It might requiring putting one signal on the left track and another on the right track and
    using that to control one signal modifying the other.

I hope someone explains the status. I can see that it works inside Auria Pro but not sure if
    Auria just has side busing or if those FF products can be linked.

4Pockets created some controls in their Compressor to identify an App to App bus for source/destination side chains that probably works in any DAW. I was hoping for something similar since an AUv3 is aware of it's peers from a programmer's perspective so implementing it without requiring the DAW to have the facility is possible.

There's also the FAC Envolver approach to convert the envelope to a MIDI CC stream and
    "pump" on the compressor or the channel volume.

The Fab Filter docs haven't been changed to address the IOS case yet apparently. Lot's of details on the major Desktop DAW's as you would expect. What's this Ableton thing? Is it really Live? Like AI Live or just a good robot? (Trying to keep this thread alive to get more users and more clues about how these apps work).

• @McD said:
    I can see the controls for sidechaining in C2 with an Internal and External Option.
    I tried running 2 instances to see if just putting one internal and the other external was the trick but I don't see any obvious impact on the outputs of the two AUM channels.

It may require AUM to create the capability to Bus an output into an FX app.

There are small controls in the Sidechain area labeled:
    Mid Side M->S S->M

It might requiring putting one signal on the left track and another on the right track and
    using that to control one signal modifying the other.

I hope someone explains the status. I can see that it works inside Auria Pro but not sure if
    Auria just has side busing or if those FF products can be linked.

4Pockets created some controls in their Compressor to identify an App to App bus for source/destination side chains that probably works in any DAW. I was hoping for something similar since an AUv3 is aware of it's peers from a programmer's perspective so implementing it without requiring the DAW to have the facility is possible.

There's also the FAC Envolver approach to convert the envelope to a MIDI CC stream and
    "pump" on the compressor or the channel volume.

The Fab Filter docs haven't been changed to address the IOS case yet apparently. Lot's of details on the major Desktop DAW's as you would expect. What's this Ableton thing? Is it really Live? Like AI Live or just a good robot? (Trying to keep this thread alive to get more users and more clues about how these apps work).

Yes, let‘s keep this thread alive. The announcement of C2 promises external side-chaining. Other apps in IOS can do that. So what is the magic trick to achieve this with Fabfilters C2?

• McDMcD
    edited June 2019

@Satie said:
    Yes, let‘s keep this thread alive. The announcement of C2 promises external side-chaining. Other apps in IOS can do that. So what is the magic trick to achieve this with Fabfilters C2?

This thread will probably timeout in 3 days. Fingers crossed. Are there AU's that accept dual stereo inputs (so the DAW can be plumbed to deliver an external signal) or does the AU have to open a bus with another instance.

As I recall there are 4 methods:

1) An AU effect used R+L channels to input 2 signals with only one coming out. Hate to lose stereo information but it's one way. Pumphouse?
    2) An AU effect has a menu to select buses between 2 or more instances: 4Pockets compressor.
    3) FF's products work in Auria Pro. The DAW probably provides a side-chain bus. AP's busses are the closest to a "real Pro DAW" for the "not a dabbler crowd."
    4) Create a MIDI CC app that follows the side-chain's envelope and control the primary Apps Volume AU Parameter: FAC Envolver.

I'm suspecting it's #3 which means we need to list the DAW's that have this feature for FF AUv3's. My money's on AP, NS2, BeatHawk and maybe StageLight.

For AUM. I could look into #4.

• You wanted a bundle? You got a bundle!

• @LinearLineman said:
    You wanted a bundle? You got a bundle!![]

Get it one app at a time. Pro-R Reverb first, then Pro-L Limiter (just park one on every track to never clip again) and Pro-Q3. You'll get the final 4 for $7.50 each using the bundle. You might even want Pro Q2 for desert. Are you a "sucker" for Pro Apps? They are fiddly but every adjustment seems to show up clearly in the mix.

• Then there is this...

• McDMcD
    edited June 2019

@LinearLineman said:
    Then there is this...

Yeah. Don't take that deal. Getting Q3 in the bundle saves you money. I tried it the other way. Lost $27 overall. I picked up Q2 in April for $15 so this bundle dropped my price to $27. Then I got the bundle and got no price credit for already owning Q3. I can ask for the refund on the Upgrade but have concerns they might take Q3 back so... maybe not. It has been suggested I make this Fab Filters problem. Feels too much like work. I've quit working.

• Universal please

• @McD said:
    As I recall there are 4 methods:

1) An AU effect used R+L channels to input 2 signals with only one coming out. Hate to lose stereo information but it's one way. Pumphouse?

2) An AU effect has a menu to select buses between 2 or more instances: 4Pockets compressor.

Looks like WoodPressor also implements an AUv3 to AUv3 technique in the code.
    Some early issues with AUM and Cubasis have been addressed.

3) FF's products work in Auria Pro. The DAW probably provides a side-chain bus. AP's busses are the closest to a "real Pro DAW" for the "not a dabbler crowd."

4) Create a MIDI CC app that follows the side-chain's envelope and control the primary Apps Volume AU Parameter: FAC Envolver.

I'm suspecting it's #3 which means we need to list the DAW's that have this feature for FF AUv3's. My money's on AP, NS2, BeatHawk and maybe StageLight.

For AUM. I could look into #4.

Might take a while for IOS DAW's to sidechain in the way Fab Filter expects or for Fab Filter to
    create AU-to-AU internal bussing independent of the DAW like WoodPressor (and 4Pockets?) to ship.

Time to submit a "feature request". The first DAW to support these FF AU FX side-chains will probably see a lot more sales.

Can anyone test/solve the R channel is primary and L channel is the Envelope Generator
    for a mono signal? Then we could implemented 2 mono AU/Pairs as a stereo function.
    Probably ugly in AUM but when things get ugly @j_liljedahl seems to work on cleaning it up.

• @McD: you might want to email the devs if you haven't already to ask how to accomplish the sidechaining.

As an fyi, a dev mentioned somewhwere that the techniques that some apps use to accomplish side-chaining is a gray area and had some concern that Apple might cause the trick being used to stop working. No idea if that applies here or how valid that worry is.

• Ggg guh guh... drool... these are awesome.

• @Satie said:
    Is side-chaining with C2 in IOS possible? How gets the side-chain-signal to the compressor?

Don't know about C2 - but am struggling inside Q2.
    I tried nearly everything and could not get it to work.
    Checking their forums leaves us with:

It should work, but no DAW on iOS supports that (or better their way?) atm, see here: Forum

Could anyone try sidechaining on the latest Q3 on iOS? Please, with a big smile :smile:
    Is that the only "blind" button that is left in from porting to iOS?

• @Panthemusicalgoat said:
    Universal please

Not gonna happen, developers have confirmed. Sorry. I just can't see them working on phones, even if you have the jumbo.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Then there is this...

You're gonna love the Pro-R on that piano of yours