Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Free AUv3 ports of Mutable Instruments eurorack modules

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2019

Original sliders much better edit: apparently new GUI is easier to see for visually impaired people so that’s fair enough then.

• edited June 2019

Also preferred sliders but im not too fussy in all honesty.

• Change from sliders was prompted by a few things, mainly:

• sliders-only UI fails the "squint test", where you can tell what you're doing without reading the labels. Pages of sliders are indistinguishable from one another so you have to read the parameters each time which makes it harder to reach flow state. Goal with this is that each page is somewhat recognizable so you can get a natural feel for the pages as you interact with it
    • information density. I can put about twice as many controls on a page which makes for less page switching. This is because with knobs, the drag area of the control is not always dedicated to that single control. With slider, the entire surface of the slider is always visible and touchable. With knobs, you touch the knob then drag out of the knob so the drag space is reusable.
    • a side effect of that above ^^ is that you can make more finer-grained controls because you don't need to dedicate the screen space for dragging.

Still doing a few little additions to the granular port (adding an envelope follower and dedicated noise source), a few UI tweaks, then building Rings in the same format.

Question for everyone. How can I make an AUv3 that both accepts audio, and accepts MIDI input? At least in AUM it seems impossible, if I make an AU instrument that accepts input audio there seems no way to route audio to it, and if I make an AU effect that receives MIDI notes, there seems to be no way to send it MIDI notes. Do I need to switch hosts? This is for rings and elements, sending both note information and audio to it's inputs

• edited June 2019

@burns_audio said:
    Change from sliders was prompted by a few things, mainly:

• sliders-only UI fails the "squint test", where you can tell what you're doing without reading the labels. Pages of sliders are indistinguishable from one another so you have to read the parameters each time which makes it harder to reach flow state. Goal with this is that each page is somewhat recognizable so you can get a natural feel for the pages as you interact with it
    • information density. I can put about twice as many controls on a page which makes for less page switching. This is because with knobs, the drag area of the control is not always dedicated to that single control. With slider, the entire surface of the slider is always visible and touchable. With knobs, you touch the knob then drag out of the knob so the drag space is reusable.
    • a side effect of that above ^^ is that you can make more finer-grained controls because you don't need to dedicate the screen space for dragging.

Still doing a few little additions to the granular port (adding an envelope follower and dedicated noise source), a few UI tweaks, then building Rings in the same format.

Question for everyone. How can I make an AUv3 that both accepts audio, and accepts MIDI input? At least in AUM it seems impossible, if I make an AU instrument that accepts input audio there seems no way to route audio to it, and if I make an AU effect that receives MIDI notes, there seems to be no way to send it MIDI notes. Do I need to switch hosts? This is for rings and elements, sending both note information and audio to it's inputs

As I mentioned in your other post it is definitely possible in AUM. I believe there are 4 options. You need AU (mfx). There is a developer only forum on audiobus which you can join and the devs are sure to help you.

• @[Deleted User] said:

As I mentioned in your other post it is definitely possible in AUM. I believe there are 4 options. You need AU (mfx). There is a developer only forum on audiobus which you can join and the devs are sure to help you.

Oops, missed that reply. That was the issue. Thanks Trevor!

• @burns_audio I'm totally OK with knobs and thanks again for including more than just the barebones modules to make them useful as a plugin! :+1:

• edited June 2019

@rs2000 said:
    @burns_audio I'm totally OK with knobs and thanks again for including more than just the barebones modules to make them useful as a plugin! :+1:

This !! This is also reason why i think that @burns_audio should set least some symbolic price like $5 or even $2 for the additional effort he put into this project.

Man, i don't want this gem for free, i want to PAY for it !!! :-)

• @dendy said:

@rs2000 said:
    @burns_audio I'm totally OK with knobs and thanks again for including more than just the barebones modules to make them useful as a plugin! :+1:

This !! This is also reason why i think that @burns_audio should set least some symbolic price like $5 or even $2 for the additional effort he put into this project.

A developer can always add "buy me a coffee", "buy me a beer" and "buy me a pizza" IAPs if he wants :)

• @dendy said:

I appreciate the sentiment, I really do.

But if I charge for this I will feel obligated to update it, add more modules, and more modulation, etc etc. And since its monolithic ports of modular synth modules the opportunities may seem endless. I enjoy building things until they become an obligation.

I'm building this to learn how to make stable, feature complete audio units. Then I'll take those learnings and make more specific paid AUs.

Maybe making a support request will become IAP :p

• edited June 2019

@burns_audio at least add to your website paypal "donate" button ;-)

• edited June 2019

Set up a PayPal donation account, I'll contribute. Knobs or faders doesn't make a huge difference to me. This requires midi mapping. My MIDI Twistor will make the AUs feel better than the actual modules.

• A mate of mine who made an app set up a Patron/donate account and got one payment ... from me haha.

But yeah any way to allow people to donate Would be cool.

• @burns_audio said:
    I'm building this to learn how to make stable, feature complete audio units. Then I'll take those learnings and make more specific paid AUs.

Seems like a solid plan. Looking forward to these and whatever else you come up with down the road. For sure do either an IAP for supporting or have some way to send you a few dollars to show appreciation.

• edited June 2019

@burns_audio Good way of building a loyal following, I’m also behind whatever you put out after the freebies.

What with these developments and VCV Rack going v1 this week ... wow.

• edited June 2019

Looking good B)

@burns_audio said:

You need to make it an AU music effect (mFX) so that it accepts audio and midi input.

edit: ah, already answered

• my 2 cents:

the sliders certainly looked cleaner - I find that sliders are just more legible in general.. you can see at a glance what's going on. Love the XY, though!!

I'm certainly not gonna complain about a free app that sounds as good as these demos..

• Cannot wait for those to drop!!

• Ok, end of the month, payday, nearly weekend... I'm ready! :)

• @burns_audio so you still think you will be able to deliver at least one of the apps within June? Right now those are my single most anticipated music apps coming next to Drambo.

• In developing a product I like to say there is the first 90% of work, then the second 90%, then the last 10%.

I'd say I'm close to being done the second 90%.

Releasing one without the others would be a big distraction as a lot of the code is shared. Most of the hard work is done (even got Elements operating as an effect too last night, passing audio into it's resonator).

Having a public target date has helped me stay focused, but if I don't make it you'll just have to wait a bit more.

So.. nothing by end of June but it's getting there.

• edited June 2019

Little demo of elements in an effect slot. This was plaits -> clouds -> elements -> clouds

• Sounds great, take your time 👍

• @burns_audio said:
    Little demo of elements in an effect slot. This was plaits -> clouds -> elements -> clouds

Great!!!!! Thanks!

• Sounds great! Take your time, thanks for the answer.

• We are all ok waiting, thanks for all your work. @burns_audio