Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Music «TRANSFORMATOR» by KÜHL... (Updated!)

edited August 2021 in General App Discussion

Hey there fellow musicians. Here’s my new piece TRANSFORMATOR.

I’ve tried to apply what I’ve learned in classical composition of Counterpoint & Harmony to electronic music.

This is did because I wanted to get away from the usual endless repetition over one chord, or one pad or sound over changing rhythm... although I also use that technique to a degree 😆

I’ve mostly used Model 15 & iSEM, with a touch of LayR, microTera & sound samples from Streemur
The classical vocal & Fugatino middle part are done with iSymphonic & Infinite.
Drums are DM2

I hope some you you like my approach.
Thanks to @LinearLineman & @McD for their support. Love you guys :)

Comments

• RJBRJB
    edited June 2019

Dude, you nailed it. Wish you Were...Tangerine Dream vibe was amazingly krafty. Thanks for sharing.

• @RJB said:
    Dude, you nailed it. Wish you Were...Tangerine Dream vibe was amazingly krafty. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you!!!

• edited June 2019

In my opinion......

You have a gift.

Seriously... It really is that good!

If you listen to the different uses of repetition in "marketable" music, there will always be "changes" that create interest for the listener. Changes hold the listener's attention. Some changes can be accomplished only with vocals, other times it can be done by progressing through a series of instrumental parts, each resolving complimentary into the next. Many types of music are built around a "formula".

It might be said that Progressive rock is structured around a formula that uses very frequent and very diversified sets of complimentary changes.

Other genres structure changes, and intervals, according to patterns that are typical of the particular genre.

For successful music, the selection of changes, and the organization of those changes into a patterns of changes, are just as important as the instrumental melody and rhythm of each of the parts.

Make more!

Make your changes more often, think about organizing your changes to build a song, the same way you might think about organizing your notes to build a melody.

That was a really great composition, and very much a pleasure to listen to. :)

• Excellent , hands down

• Thank you guys @horsetrainer & @reasOne for kind words.

I’ve worked for 25 years as a DJ at a radio station in Norway. Over the years I’ve listened to much music, but I started with picking up melodies from the Beatles, psychedelic impulses from Pink Floyd & simplicity from Kraftwerk.
    Later, with my education in Bach & playing his suites on classical guitar, I learned about counterpoint. It’s the most marvellous thing. As Mozart said... 14 people can’t speak at the same time and make sense, but 14 different melodies can melt together in perfect harmony.

I started to study music science & composition when I was 20, but making music afterwards got lost in a life of promoting other artists. When I got my first iPad, I started writing, because I know how to write a score... I forgot to mention that I write a lot of midi in Presonus Notion, as usual musical notation. Notion is a superb app, & it’s on desktop as well. Then I transfer it to the DAW I like & apply whatever I must.

Thanks for listening.

• McDMcD
    edited June 2019

That was just pure fun to listen to... my best time with headphones on in a long while. No questionable musical decisions and obviously carefully crafted to achieve that which takes so much time and concentration. But it does pay off in the end for the listener (and hopefully for you). I'm sure this is something you'll present with pride for many years... Its got a timeless vibe.

There's a podcast in the US from Slate about culture and they have a "summer strut" series every year where they try to pick the perfect tunes for listening while out for a summer walk with iTunes (or any streaming service). This for me will make an awesome "summer strut" tune. I'll queue it up for my walk in the morning and keep in it the rotation. I usually listen to spoken word content but I could see myself checking out the wild life and having some Tangerine Dreams at the same time. I'm sure your Craft will Werk for that use case.

I'm glad you got this baby out of the birth canal and it's healthy. I hope you are too.

• edited June 2019

And they said Norway was only good for Vikings and sardines! I know there is a classical work brewing. Why, you could make these forum electroheads change course in mid megabyte!
    Imagine, the audiob.us classical music forum! Though you violate my credo of quantity over quality it obviously works for you in a big way. Now leave me alone while I put together six albums at once.
    Btw, what is the voice in the second part, please?

• The voice in the middle is the German craftsmanship of Wolfgang Palm.
    It’s made by his synth “Infinite”

• Actually @McD I have testdrived the track in my car, so I like driving to it.

A little secret: the very first rapid bass strokes in the beginning are sampled from Kraftwerk’s Autobahn 🛣 😉
    I think aficionados would recognise it easily. My guess anyway.

In the last part I envisioned the sky with floating clouds ⛅️ and a landscape in the countryside

• @Kühl said:
    A little secret: the very first rapid bass strokes in the beginning are sampled from Kraftwerk’s Autobahn 🛣 😉

I should listen to more Kraftwerk on my walks then. How much time do you estimate it took to assemble this project using your note by note compositional approach in Notion? I think
    it helps a lot of us know that you used a sample because we use MIDI generators a lot.

The @LinearLineman is a certified organic MIDI generator. He might even be a bio-diesel MIDI power plant. Not sure what fuel he's using... bio, atomic or carbon based. I use caffein and alcohol and don't seem to get the same output.

• @McD said:
    The @LinearLineman is a certified organic MIDI generator. He might even be a bio-diesel MIDI power plant. Not sure what fuel he's using... bio, atomic or carbon based. I use caffein and alcohol and don't seem to get the same output.

:D Priceless.

• @McD @rs2000. I run on the ideal fuel... fear.

• Fugues, and counterpoint in general, are cool.

This wasn’t iOS based, but I may port it over some day.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @McD @rs2000. I run on the ideal fuel... fear.

Fear? Are you afraid we will think you died? No one publishes more than you except @echoopera with a new toy. I think you’re riding an endorphin rush.

If you’re being held captive in A Turkish music jail put out a Johnny Mercer cover tune. Fear not. We will send help after the go f* me solicitation.

• Yes, Fear is my copilot @McD. Unless you are referring to the marital state, however, I am not being held in a Turkish prison.

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    Fugues, and counterpoint in general, are cool.

This wasn’t iOS based, but I may port it over some day.

Marvellous. You have a new fan in me :smile:
    It reminds me of Gentle Giant. They have the “Moog fugue” it’s on YouTube somewhere.

• @McD said:

@Kühl said:

I should listen to more Kraftwerk on my walks then. How much time do you estimate it took to assemble this project using your note by note compositional approach in Notion? I think
    it helps a lot of us know that you used a sample because we use MIDI generators a lot.

I started writing themes about Christmas time, so it took me some time.
    But I’m working on many things at the same time, so I put in some new things now and then...
    Transformator is really 5 pieces, that I took the best from and cut out a great deal too... the fugato part after the vocal from Wolfgang Palm, is really a long piece on its own. I just took 8 bars from it :)

And samples. Audio tracks in which you copy samples. I produce like we make commercials on radio. You try a sample, move it around on the track to see where it fits. The same with drones. I made all the audio parts and finished it in Auria Pro because I have bought fabfilter pro-L 2, and it can’t be used outside Auria.
    Today fabfilter left us a virtual golden shower on AppStore 😂 I had to buy the EQ Pro-Q 3. It’s auv3.
    But on Transformator I used the EQ from Blue Mango 🥭 & that EQ is both cheap & very good.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Yes, Fear is my copilot @McD. Unless you are referring to the marital state, however, I am not being held in a Turkish prison.

LoL LoL LoL

• @Kühl said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:

It reminds me of Gentle Giant. They have the “Moog fugue” it’s on YouTube somewhere.

Yes. I got echoes of Gentle Giant polyphonic prog rock too. Very nicely assembled. Not a note out of character showing some mastery of the baroque style but updated with clever transpositions. I find pure Bach tends to get old fast but this approach keeps me guessing where the ride will take us.

I'll also follow your SoundCloud channel for more.

• @McD said:

@Kühl said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:

Yes. I got echoes of Gentle Giant polyphonic prog rock too. Very nicely assembled. Not a note out of character showing some mastery of the baroque style but updated with clever transpositions. I find pure Bach tends to get old fast but this approach keeps me guessing where the ride will take us.

Agree, it was very interesting to listen to. I really loved that fugue.

• +1for the boobies

• @McD said:

@Kühl said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    +1for the boobies

Always try to look my best ;)

• edited June 2019

@Kühl said:

@McD said:

@Kühl said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:

Yeah, I’m a big fan of Gentle Giant. I’m afraid if you’re hoping to hear more of a similar level of complexity, that was the type of stuff I was into writing when I was in my old prog rock band about 18 years ago. I just revamped that piece as an exercise when setting up my old gear in a new location. Nowadays my output is much more thematic and less acrobatic. Plus I don’t produce much, so you may be waiting a while. Very flattered you were interested though. :)

P.S. Here’s the last fugue I wrote, somewhat complicated by the fact that the parts are palindromic, with the reversed part of each entry counterpointing the transposed start of the new entry. In retrospect, perhaps I was disappearing up my own rear end with the complexity and that’s one reason why I haven’t been doing stuff like that since. :)

• edited June 2019

@TheOriginalPaulB, I like this one. Especially when it goes Zappa. Do more, you sound good in that difficult position!

• This was a crazy joyride. I f...ing loved it!
    It’s so 70s, and me a 61 Model... this is the style of music I grew up with... until 77, spiky grease hair, safetypins, nose ring lol you get the punky picture. 3 chords, Marshall amp on 11.
    I really enjoyed following the themes. This gives music so much meaning... like reading a book for me.
    Do you have the score?

• edited June 2019

@LinearLineman I’m a bit jealous of @TheOriginalPaulB ;) don’t tell him, but now I have to write a new superfugue to measure up in this forum. There’s a heck of a lot of talented individuals here.

• Really clever composition. I love the huge of energy when the organ jumps out front like Keith Emerson of ELP doing an organ-focused piece from Tarkus. I got hooked when Leonard Bernstein hosted a show and Keith's previous band "The Nice" played "America"
    from West Side Story in prog rock clothing. As a music student it merged my worlds of academic musical studies with progressive rock which shares DNA with Jazz Fusion.

In school we had to write these types of exercises in style and get classmates to play the parts to really hear it. Now we could drop the notes in Notion and hear it for $45 (getting the whole sound set). Much better time to study composition than the 70's.

I have a 2-Part Invention in a box somewhere I'd like to play into a DAW someday and hear it played on a good piano.

• @Kühl said:

Do you have the score?

I’m afraid not. Although I can read and write classical notation, I don’t hear multiple parts in my head when I do. This was a midi piece I put together in Cubase by improvising the ascending theme on a keyboard, then reversing, manipulating, transposing and adding other parts as I went along. I lke to have aural feedback of what I’m creating as it happens.

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:

@Kühl said:

Do you have the score?

I’m afraid not. Although I can read and write classical notation, I don’t hear multiple parts in my head when I do. This was a midi piece I put together in Cubase by improvising the ascending theme on a keyboard, then reversing, manipulating, transposing and adding other parts as I went along. I lke to have aural feedback of what I’m creating as it happens.

lol I find aural feedback confusing. When it’s completely silent, then my head begins almost automatically to make melodies & I can hear whole symphonies in my head. It’s writing it down that’s difficult. I imagine Mozart was like this, only supercharged & trained to write music from the cradle. I wasn’t that lucky :smiley: my dad was a soldier in Germany, than a sailor before he went into ship building. I never had any musical support from my working class parents until I was about 15. Then my mother bought me a Technics Organ. The big 70s Version with drums sind autobass. I loved it and went on to study music at the university... at least for some years.

I later years I’ve trained myself to hear melody with counterpoint inside my head, but it was bloody difficult.
    Once you get it, it’s like cycling :) but I often get in trouble when I need to modulate from one key to another, like in a fugue. I guess nobody’s perfect except for Mozart.

@McD I’m a big Nice & ELP fan. And Bernstein was an American jewel 💎