Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ThumbJam love.

edited June 2019 in App Tips and Tricks

I know I’m a little late to the party but I just want to give ThumbJam some love and recommend it to anyone who hasn’t discovered it. Not only is it a fantastic app by itself and very deep (if you want it to be) but it’s great sounding sampled instruments (of which there are many) can be routed to other apps - for example to Fugue Machine through Aum.
Just sayin’.

Comments

• @Steaders said:
    I know I’m a little late to the party but I just want to give ThumbJam some love and recommend it to anyone who hasn’t discovered it. Not only is it a great app by itself and very deep (if you want it to be) but it’s amazing sounding sampled instruments (of which there are many) can be routed to other apps - for example to Fugue Machine through Aum.
    Just sayin’.

It is great.

• edited June 2019

I agree totally. An interesting thing about TJ is that even tho it is interapp you can record multiple instances as there are a bunch of different slots that appear in your DAW (how come no one else does that?) my fav sounds are the Shakuhachi, Cello, Viola and Violin, but there are many other good ones. An enormous amount of scales and fun ways of playing (shake, tilt, etc). When I demo iOS to anyone I always show them TJ first and let them play it, They always love it!
    And $7, I believe. @Steaders, you did right!

• I use it in my live rig to convert my voice into midi. I can then sing my synthesizers in a predetermined scale

• @hypnopad, how do you do that, please?

• Thanks LinearLineman! 👍🏻 It amazes me how good some of the samples sound for being such small downloads. Sending TJ midi out to Kontakt in my DAW is also super fun and inspiring and really impresses the girls. 😎

• @Steaders said:
    Thanks LinearLineman! 👍🏻 It amazes me how good some of the samples sound for being such small downloads. Sending TJ midi out to Kontakt in my DAW is also super fun and inspiring and really impresses the girls. 😎

Girl impressing plus plus.

• Gotta say, that’s pretty funny. 😆

• @LinearLineman said:
    @hypnopad, how do you do that, please?

Find the button with a microphone and two notes. This will reveal all the parameters. Plug a microphone into the headphone port. You can now sing into the mic and it plays the sound and scale you have set.If you want to send midi out set it up in the midi settings or hookup a midi interface into the lightning port and send it to your midi destination.

• Thanks @hypnopad. What an amazing app.

• It’s become one my indispensable apps. Glad I could help.

• Took me a while to find this option, highly recommended.

Preferences ->General Options->Background Image->Custom

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Took me a while to find this option, highly recommended.

Nice! Seems like the creator/s of this app really did think of everything.

• edited June 2019

One thing I just remembered that I wanted to ask. I can’t seem to get sustain lock to work. I double tap the sustain pedal at the top left and it opens two tabs at the bottom. I enable sustain lock but it doesn’t hold the sustain.
    Am I missing something or is it a bug?

Wait. I just figured it out. It only sustains locks the notes you’re playing while you press it. When you lift sustain lock it will sustain those notes but not the next ones you play. Ignore me. 🤓

• Do you load samples into it?

• edited June 2019

@reasOne said:
    Do you load samples into it?

I don’t think you can but that could be a cool feature. It comes with a ton of great sounding instruments.

Update: my bad. you totally can create your own instruments.

• @Steaders said:

@reasOne said:
    Do you load samples into it?

I don’t think you can but that could be a cool feature. It comes with a ton of great sounding instruments.

Update: my bad. you totally can create your own instruments.

That's cool!!#

• ThumbJam is highly awesome, one of my first apps....still one of my faves

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Took me a while to find this option, highly recommended.

Thanks for this little nugget. Playing me some Cello on the back of a cruiser;

• @LinearLineman said:
    I agree totally. An interesting thing about TJ is that even tho it is interapp you can record multiple instances as there are a bunch of different slots that appear in your DAW (how come no one else does that?)

Some others do that. The iPad Synclavier app has many channels of output I think.

• you can hear TJ in solos of our *ep:)

3 Electrical Snowghosts
    by Makunouchi Bento

(pay what you want, even 0)

https://makunouchibento.bandcamp.com/album/3-electrical-snowghosts

thanks for a fantastic instrument!
    ( *I used voice2midi in TJ)

• @Jocphone said:

@LinearLineman said:
    I agree totally. An interesting thing about TJ is that even tho it is interapp you can record multiple instances as there are a bunch of different slots that appear in your DAW (how come no one else does that?)

Some others do that. The iPad Synclavier app has many channels of output I think.

Loopy and LayR do this also.

• ALBALB
    edited June 2019

I just got this. Always on my radar, but finally pulled the trigger. This is very cool, but I don’t seem to be able to send the midi out to other apps in AUM. Help please...

• @ALB said:
    I just got this. Always on my radar, but finally pulled the trigger. This is very cool, but I don’t seem to be able to send the midi out to other apps in AUM. Help please...

Can you show us the midi output prefs that you have selected?

• Another TJ gem for those with hardware MIDI keyboards: you can send MIDI into the app and it will convert your white keys into whatever key/scale you have set in TJ. Essentially your white keys mimic TJ's slots/tines 1:1.

• I'm not such a fan of the sampled content of TJ, esp. the Piano dropped dead in the Piano World Cup.

But I just love TJ as instrument!

And in general, it is a fantastic App!

Going to move it to a more prominent folder...

• I love the ThumbJam ARP especially the quantize only setting. You can get some really musical and complex melodies going just by swishing ur fingers up and down the app. Love itttt!

• @espiegel123 said:

@ALB said:

Thanks for the reply. I should have been more clear. I can get midi out from ThumbJam to an AU instrument when I play the keys (select AUM as output in TJ and AUM as source for the AU), but I cannot get the loop in TJ to send the midi out. I believe that I am missing something very basic.

• @ALB said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ALB said:

Thanks for the reply. I should have been more clear. I can get midi out from ThumbJam to an AU instrument when I play the keys (select AUM as output in TJ and AUM as source for the AU), but I cannot get the loop in TJ to send the midi out. I believe that I am missing something very basic.

I think the loops might be saved as audio not midi. It has been a while. So, I could be wrong.

• C> @espiegel123 said:

I think the loops might be saved as audio not midi. It has been a while. So, I could be wrong.

I thought so too, but in preferences there is the option to save midi loops, so I just assumed that it was recording the midi as well.

• @ALB said:
    C> @espiegel123 said:

I thought so too, but in preferences there is the option to save midi loops, so I just assumed that it was recording the midi as well.

I stand corrected. I never use the looping feature. So, I am no help on this,I guess.