Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Logic as Master AUM as slave?

After spendings hours testing combinations, watching YouTube’s and scouring other sites about sync between Logic Pro and iOS I found this wonderful site here. I’ve spent a lot of time scrolling and reading and learning some fantastic tips but I can’t find the answer to my question.
Here is my dream -
Logic connected to iPad Pro with iconnect audio4 as interface. AUM on the iPad chases Logics timeline position and syncs with Logics tempo so I can use AUv3s in tempo.
Without going into more detail about all the tests I’ve done (and I’m a logic user since the Atari) can anybody tell me if it’s possible to do this before I go mad from trying?
Thanks!

Comments

• edited June 2019

I am not 100% on this but...

1) I think the new Logic update out in the last few days has some comprehensive options for sending out MIDI sync to different ports - so that is going to help.

2) I think AUM does not do MIDI sync - but Audiobus 3 does - so you should be able to use Audiobus to sync AUM

But I am sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in :smile:

• edited June 2019

Nvm.

• AUM doesn’t do midi-slave yet, but as mentioned, Audiobus can bridge the gap. Set it to receive MIDI clock, and enable Link and Link Start/Stop in both Audiobus and AUM. AUM will follow tempo change and start stop without a hitch.

But song position? Not gonna work. You can do some tricks, such as sending a midi message or note to AUM to trigger clips, etc.

• edited June 2019

You can try using this app, use logic clock out to AUM link.

MIDI Link Sync by Coding Cod Ltd
    https://apps.apple.com/nl/app/midi-link-sync/id1071048493?l=en

• I doubt Link will be good enough latency wise but the plus side is it does some kind of buffering so it's fixed latency.

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

@BroCoast said:
    I doubt Link will be good enough latency wise but the plus side is it does some kind of buffering so it's fixed latency.

Midi clock to Audiobus, Audiobus to Link. Latency should be very small, since it’s in-device, not over the air. But I’m no expert and am not super particular either.

• @wim said:

@BroCoast said:
    I doubt Link will be good enough latency wise but the plus side is it does some kind of buffering so it's fixed latency.

Midi clock to Audiobus, Audiobus to Link. Latency should be very small, since it’s in-device, not over the air. But I’m no expert and am not super particular either.

It depends what they're doing. The Latency increases with Link as the processing demand increases. From my experience going from external MIDI clock to Link is not very tight, either with IDAM or serial MIDI. Just AB slaved to MIDi clock however is very tight.

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

@BroCoast said:

@wim said:

@BroCoast said:

It depends what they're doing. The Latency increases with Link as the processing demand increases. From my experience going from external MIDI clock to Link is not very tight, either with IDAM or serial MIDI. Just AB slaved to MIDi clock however is very tight.

And I still say AB MIDI clock to Link sync (especially when sending to AUM hosted in it) is tighter than a gnats ass.Though I have to admit, I don’t have any actual gnat’s ass measurements to back that up..

• Alright! Thanks for all the clues.
    I gathered that Midi Timecode is not part of AUM or Audiobus (for now) so frame accurate sync and chase won't happen, but I can live with the drifting of Midi Clock if I can get that going. I'll try the suggestions here and report back in case others want to know how I got on.
    Thanks again all!

• edited June 2019

@Manfromglass said:
    After spendings hours testing combinations, watching YouTube’s and scouring other sites about sync between Logic Pro and iOS I found this wonderful site here. I’ve spent a lot of time scrolling and reading and learning some fantastic tips but I can’t find the answer to my question.
    Here is my dream -
    Logic connected to iPad Pro with iconnect audio4 as interface. AUM on the iPad chases Logics timeline position and syncs with Logics tempo so I can use AUv3s in tempo.
    Without going into more detail about all the tests I’ve done (and I’m a logic user since the Atari) can anybody tell me if it’s possible to do this before I go mad from trying?
    Thanks!

Maybe I’m not completely understanding this, but you can do this with IDAM, though I haven’t tried with AUM, only with Auria Pro and Audiobus 3. I have the LPX MIDI regions being sent to an Auria Pro/AB3 channel that has some sort of AUv3 instrument. The sound is then sent back to LPX. It all plays in sync with LPX.

The only caveat is that the MIDI region must be in LPX. I haven’t figured out how to do the other way, such as send MIDI from Xequence or Rozeta to play ES1/2/M.

EDIT: When recording into LPX there also tends to be a little bit of latency which means I have to go to each recorded audio file and nudge it a little bit to the left.

• edited June 2019

To the best of my knowledge, the only "DAW-like thing" that will currently sync to song position (SPP -- NOT MTC!) on iOS is Beatmaker 2. As crazy as that may sound.

• I'm just catching up to the iPad <--> Logic world, but setting up Audiobus to receive the MIDI clock from IDAM works perfectly. I can only get it to work if Audiobus is the active iPad app. If I have AUM as the active one, it doesn't work. But that's just being picky. It opened up a new world of synchronization for me.

Once again, thanks to ABF members. Your tips and feedback make all the difference.

• @motmeister said:
    ...I can only get it to work if Audiobus is the active iPad app. If I have AUM as the active one, it doesn't work.

That's strange and shouldn't be the case, but seems to be true. However, if you load AUM into Audiobus (an audio input or output slot will do fine), it will work without having to have Audiobus in the foreground.

Question for @Michael. Is this to be expected?

1. Set Audiobus to receive midi clock from IDAM. Enable Link and Link start/stop.
    2. Open AUM outside of Audiobus and enable Link and Link start/stop.
      • With AUM in the foreground AUM doesn't respond to tempo change or start/stop.
      • With Audiobus in the foreground AUM responds to tempo change and start/stop.
    3. Add AUM as an audio output in Audiobus
      • AUM responds to tempo change and start/stop whether in the foreground or background.

It seems to me like it shouldn't matter if AUM is loaded into Audiobus or not. I always do so, but still ... maybe a bug?

• You probably just need to make sure something is selected on the AB connection screen; if there's nothing in there, AB will go to sleep in the background. So just add something like the speaker output, anything really.

• @Michael said:
    You probably just need to make sure something is selected on the AB connection screen; if there's nothing in there, AB will go to sleep in the background. So just add something like the speaker output, anything really.

Ahh. OK. So it's a "feature", not a bug. ;)
    Thanks for the quick answer. If AUM is running, there's no reason not to load it into Audiobus, but I thought I'd check if it was intended behavior or not.

• oh! the “goes to sleep” thing makes total sense. AB says “if you don’t need me, guess i’ll take a nap.” i do that!

good fix though, and easy.

• @motmeister I happened across this old thread looking for similar answers. Is this still your working approach?