Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IMPC Pro 2

edited June 2019 in General App Discussion

Hey!

Any thoughts on this app nowadays? Anyone using it?

From what I understand it had some bugs on release but those gotta be worked out by now.... or?

Pros and cons?

🧐

Comments

• Still have it installed on my iPad but waiting for an update to fix some issues when using multi-channel interfaces and a few other things that are supposed to get fixed...

Maybe the devs at @Retronyms are super busy or something else or something has happened?!

Would be nice to see them pop-in an give us a status update on what's going on :)

• I’ve not used it of late because I’ve not been making music, but it does have a lot of potential. I kind of liked it.

Also I’ve got to say that the people that are involved with customer care have gone above and beyond for myself :)

• @Samu said:
    Still have it installed on my iPad but waiting for an update to fix some issues when using multi-channel interfaces and a few other things that are supposed to get fixed...

Maybe the devs at @Retronyms are super busy or something else or something has happened?!

Would be nice to see them pop-in an give us a status update on what's going on :)

These issues are they deal- breakers or just minor ones? Is the app the fully- functional tool that they claim (for a regular user with basic needs)?

• @DMfan said:

These issues are they deal- breakers or just minor ones? Is the app the fully- functional tool that they claim (for a regular user with basic needs)?

I can not answer for every user but for me, I get a bit annoyed when sounds sometimes 'hang' or 'don't play' at all.
    Export creates three copies of the file when doing an export (this is still being looked at last time I heard something back).
    I can not 'hear' the input when recording samples from external sources like an iRig Mic HD(ie. missing input monitoring).

Considering the time that has passed since the last update and the 'track record 'I feel we'll be looking at iMPC Pro 3 rather than an update to iMPC Pro 2, but that's just me being me :)

But hey, anyone is free to download and try, and ask for re-fund if it doesn't work for them...

• @DMfan have you used any of the older iMPCs? The reason I ask is because any lingering bugs aside, people either love the way these apps work or they don’t. One thing I would say, is that iMPC Pro 2 swayed my music tracks in different directions when I used it. Initially I found the way of working uncomfortable, but soon found it to be quite fun. Eventually though I found I couldn’t change my own learnt DAW leanings and when trying to make a full track, I had to then go back to a more standard DAW like Cubasis.

Will it work for You? No one can really answer that. Is it an all encompassing and fully functioning tool for writing music? I would suggest it is a decent tool that many will make decent music with, but personally I wouldn’t want to use it as my only music writing tool. I would say, it’s a mostly fun tool that is well worth the cost, if just for a different way of working to get the ideas flowing.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    @DMfan have you used any of the older iMPCs? The reason I ask is because any lingering bugs aside, people either love the way these apps work or they don’t. One thing I would say, is that iMPC Pro 2 swayed my music tracks in different directions when I used it. Initially I found the way of working uncomfortable, but soon found it to be quite fun. Eventually though I found I couldn’t change my own learnt DAW leanings and when trying to make a full track, I had to then go back to a more standard DAW like Cubasis.

Will it work for You? No one can really answer that. Is it an all encompassing and fully functioning tool for writing music? I would suggest it is a decent tool that many will make decent music with, but personally I wouldn’t want to use it as my only music writing tool. I would say, it’s a mostly fun tool that is well worth the cost, if just for a different way of working to get the ideas flowing.

Maestro of the Utterly Fair :)

• @Samu, @Fruitbat1919

Thanks for some insightful answers and reasoning!

• @DMfan I like it . It does work well and I like the sounds available through the AudioCopy app it also makes it easy to paste sound when you buy the IMPC packs made for IMPC :) . But when I start to use AU’s it gets a little buggy and sometimes sounds drop out from the AU’s but if I reload project it usually works again . I like this app but it is common knowledge around here that it’s not without limitations and it tends to irritate ALOT of people 😜

• iMPC Pro while irritatingly crashy did help me make some nice tracks. I'd really like to give 2 a go but everything Retronyms I have has been abandoned...

• I definitely like making loops and exporting those to other apps. I like the workflow once I wrapped my head around it and I like the way it sounds. Still kinda buggy. The iPhone version is downloaded on my iPad also and it’s stable but you have to workaround the little ui.

• Impc Pro 2
    Nothing like MPC hardware
    You can tell it’s not ‘ in house ‘
    Retronyms have a shit track record

• can you resample pad to pad like you do in koala??
    i see in videos theres a resample button but no one uses it

• @reasOne said:
    can you resample pad to pad like you do in koala??
    i see in videos theres a resample button but no one uses it

Do you have the iMPC Pro 2.app? (if. Yes, then just try it. if No, then why bother when you already have Koala?).

The 'Resample' option just samples/records what the app outputs...
    ...ie. arm recording and play the pads or start playback and the output is recorded...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vk7y2tjgu8qau3t/iMPCPro2ReSample.mov?dl=0

There is a rumored iMPC Pro 2 update in the works but I have no high expectations.
    I do like the free MPC Beats app on the desktop but iMPC Pro 2 on the iPad is just a bad joke in comparison.

Cheers!

• edited August 2020

i dont have it, but i like the idea of it.
    koala is great for a lot of things but gets kinda limited at a certain part in the process and mpc2 looks attractive with a better sequencer for editing and arranging, and loading au instrument.
    people that tend to make sample based hiphop on youtube seem to really dig it but the people who make more synth based stuff here seem to find it not so great..

ahh thanks for the video that’s pretty cool, it’s pretty identical to koala then but with a couple extra steps for editing it seems.

i’m still on the fence. i mostly want to sample my ios synths then resample them into layers for for live play on the pads and recording the sequence.. a lot of it can be done in koala but the mpc2 looks like it can get a bit deeper with editing and assigning effects to individual pads as opposed to koala which the effects are on the master

• I'd say that if the intention is to sample iOS synths then BM3 is a way better option...
    ...but hey, if you feel iMPC Pro 2 can do it for you go right ahead and get it :)

• Bm3 the most quick and smart way to sample ios synths by far

• edited August 2020

i really dislike bm3 for sequencing tho that’s my problem! i’ve had mpcs and sp devices and they work but bm3 sequencing is a chore for me... but with the mpc stability issues i hear about it keeps me away from it

• I have no clue as to when or if we get an iMPC Pro 2 update or if it will turn out to be iMPC Pro 3...
    One thing that iMPC Pro 2 is missing is support for 'Key Groups Programs' which are essential for sampling keyboard sounds.

If iMPC Pro 2 was even remotely close to MPC Beats on the desktop I would recommend it without any kind of hesitation...
    ...but sadly it's the opposite with polyphony issues where sequenced sounds sometimes play sometimes don't.

Random crashes when editing samples and the selection tool in the sequencer is a pain in the a* to work with as is the rest of the time line editor. (But if you love TableTop you'll feel right at home, I don't..).

You can't change the 'pad layout' when using 16 pads mode to play AUv3's ie. the pads are stuck from C3 upwards so no way to play bass notes on the pads. It does have a keyboard but it's a bit meh...

iMPC Pro 2 could have been so much more and I'm honestly impressed with AKAI's patience with the R'nyms tarnishing the AKAI brand with sub-par software... But that's me, I've been giving each iMPC version released so far a try and they have never worked without some kind of issues... MPC Beats on the other hand with one minor thing works very well!

So yeah, Give it a spin if you like but don't blame us if it fails you ;)

• i appreciate the honest info man...
    it looks attractive but it def gets a bad rap and those are good reasons why.
    no key groups or being able to change the octave forauv3 jams def a negative thing, i guess the only option is sampling work arounds which could be avoided if they fixed it.
    if it was like 10/15$ id be more inclined to grab it but it’s26$ right now and that would be fine if it was up to par
    maybe they will drop an update but who knows when they could be right
    i’ve has all the other impcs as well and couldn’t really get along with em this one looked way more promising

• iMPC Pro 2 usually goes on sale when the updates are close so keep an eye out for it...
    ...another indication of a coming update is when the Youtube channels starts to get new videos.

I grabbed the iPhone version of iMPC Pro 2 on sale last year and I still have it on my iPhone 8.
    It's not 'Universal' so separate versions for iPad and iPhone...

It has to be said that the quality of the provided samples is pretty good as is the content from the AudioCopy store.
    Thankfully AudioCopy got Files.app support with the latest update so the files can be easily accessed from all apps that use the Files.app interface.

iMPC Pro 2 also has support for Files app so pulling out the exports is pretty easy without having to use AudioCopy...

Drambo is another option but for some it's a bit too much 'Lego Building', but it's darn flexible! :)

• i like drambo but it can be too much for the amount of time i get to spend! but i do go to it when i can.. i think i’ll just wait for the sale or an update at this point i can accomplish most in koala and bm3... i don’t like using daws to build tracks but zenbeats is cool for the clip launching..
    16 pad things seem to be a good middle ground for all those combined..

• wimwim
    edited August 2020

@reasOne said:
    i like drambo but it can be too much for the amount of time i get to spend! but i do go to it when i can.. i think i’ll just wait for the sale or an update at this point i can accomplish most in koala and bm3... i don’t like using daws to build tracks but zenbeats is cool for the clip launching..

@reasOne and @Samu - sampling with Drambo Flexi Sampler to files app is quite fast and effective. Setting up the sampler is a piece of cake, and of course you can save it as a project for instant recall. Recording is fast and easy. I don't use threshold detection because of lost transients, but even with immediate record, it takes about 5 seconds to trim a sample. After that, it's just save, then export anywhere in files.app, then swipe to delete in Drambo. About five taps and a swipe. Maybe three seconds total other than typing a name for the file.

Best of all, works in any host.

• @wim said:

@reasOne said:
    i like drambo but it can be too much for the amount of time i get to spend! but i do go to it when i can.. i think i’ll just wait for the sale or an update at this point i can accomplish most in koala and bm3... i don’t like using daws to build tracks but zenbeats is cool for the clip launching..

@reasOne and @Samu - sampling with Drambo Flexi Sampler to files app is quite fast and effective. Setting up the sampler is a piece of cake, and of course you can save it as a project for instant recall. Recording is fast and easy. I don't use threshold detection because of lost transients, but even with immediate record, it takes about 5 seconds to trim a sample. After that, it's just save, then export anywhere in files.app, then swipe to delete in Drambo. About five taps and a swipe. Maybe three seconds total other than typing a name for the file.

Best of all, works in any host.

i guess getting the routing right to record from a synth hosted in aum to drambo is something i haven’t ever tried, but if its simple i’m gonna try it. i just don’t get a lot of time to jam as a hobbiest so i like to just get in and get it did hehe

• @reasOne - maybe this'll get you started. If not, then we can pick it up in another thread. Sorry for the thread hijack, @Morgman73. I posted in the wrong thread by mistake.

• @wim said:
    @reasOne - maybe this'll get you started. If not, then we can pick it up in another thread. Sorry for the thread hijack, @Morgman73. I posted in the wrong thread by mistake.

that looks pretty strait forward! imma try it after work! thanks dude!

• @Samu said:
    iMPC Pro 2 usually goes on sale when the updates are close so keep an eye out for it...
    ...another indication of a coming update is when the Youtube channels starts to get new videos.

I grabbed the iPhone version of iMPC Pro 2 on sale last year and I still have it on my iPhone 8.

It has to be said that the quality of the provided samples is pretty good as is the content from the AudioCopy store.
    Thankfully AudioCopy got Files.app support with the latest update so the files can be easily accessed from all apps that use the Files.app interface.

iMPC Pro 2 also has support for Files app so pulling out the exports is pretty easy without having to use AudioCopy...

Drambo is another option but for some it's a bit too much 'Lego Building', but it's darn flexible! :)

can you pull your own samples into impc from files / audioshare? everyone on youtube seems to say it’s only possible from itunes file share. buzz kill lol

• @reasOne said:

can you pull your own samples into impc from files / audioshare? everyone on youtube seems to say it’s only possible from itunes file share. buzz kill lol

The iMPC Pro 2 folder is visible to Files.app so you can use Files.app to copy files into the folders.
    (On the Top level there is a MPCPro folder and inside there are sub-folders including user folders where you can put samples).

All exports you do with the app end up at the top level...

• edited August 2020

@reasOne said:

@Samu said:
    iMPC Pro 2 usually goes on sale when the updates are close so keep an eye out for it...

One method at least is to move samples into the Audiocooy app, most apps include “Open In” AudioCopy, including AudioShare. Then you can move that stuff into iMPC 2.

AudioCopy has a reputation as a pain in the ass. I’ve used it to buy sample/loop packs which can be vey very good. Then I usually delete AudioCopy.

The device also has a default audiocopy (used to be called Intua audiocooy) which works once AudioCopy the app is deleted and which AudioShare provides as an export option, again one at a time, which can be accessed via iMPC2 import.

• @Littlewoodg said:

AudioCopy has a reputation as a pain in the ass. I’ve used it to buy sample/loop packs which can be vey very good. Then I usually delete AudioCopy.

The latest version of AudioCopy.app with Files.app support is quite ok.
    It no longer crashes when editing samples our when doing the 'program/bank' import into iMPC Pro 2 :)

I keep the AudioCopy.app around since Gadget also uses audio paste function to import samples and also exports to it when needed, so for me I keep the Gadget exports in AudioCopy to avoid cluttering the Gadget root folder.

And with Files.app support I can fetch the files easily from any app that supports the standard iOS Document Picker.

The only reason I keep iMPC Pro 2 around is because I'm lazy and don't want to recreate all the 'Programs' in BM3...
    (The 'Programs' include meta-data for time-stretch, tuning etc. and those are not included when importing the samples to BM3).

Cheers!

• edited August 2020

awesome! thank you guys..
    that’s great to know then, everyone online was mad about the lack of file import so this is def good news.
    good to know audiocopy is a bit more stable now.. it def is an annoying app imo but it’s not a deal breaker.

@Samu ever since you mentioned bm3 yesterday i’ve been using it again... it’s been at least a year but def been enjoying it today.. sampling the new Lagrange presets from @Spidericemidas and having fun with that...i forgot how easy it was to make patterns and then just arrange them into a song!
    i’m still in debate with impc2 hahaa i really love the way it looks and i’ve owned several mpcs and the one that came with software a while back, i forget the name so i fell comfortable with those, but the popular vote still is bm3 , perhaps a sale will be the right time to mess with it but the appoholic in me is struggling 😎🤣