Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to copy .ipa with iFunBox from iphone to iPad?

Hey, one of my favorite video effects apps just had an update. I updated my iPad only to learn that the devs have gone subscription with it. Most of the original features are still there except for the HD video export. Before... that app I bought... supported import/export of 4k video. The devs have now made that feature ONLY available if you sign up for a subscription. They took away a feature the paid app already had, and made it subscription only.

That sucks, but in the meantime... I don't think the app before the update today was universal. So, I haven't updated my iPhone install of Hyperspektiv yet.

I'm trying to use iFunBox to get my iPhone .ipa install copied to my desktop and then copy it back to my iPad instead of the updated .ipa install.

iFunBox doesn't appear to be letting me copy Hyperspektiv off my iPhone though. I've never done it before, so I'm hoping I'm just doing it wrong. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Hmmm... I thought this would be easy with ifunbox but maybe the iDevices have to be jail broken?

In any case... if you have the Hyperspektiv app and like being able to import/export 4K video clips... but don’t want to have to buy a subscription... don’t install the current Hyperspektiv update.

• edited March 2019

@skiphunt Do it in itunes as follows
    1.launch itunes
    2.In iTunes in left column theres a tab usually says “Music” as default Change that to Apps
    3.in top menu bar go to Accounts then Scroll to Purchases
    4. Your App Purchases will appear. Notice the tabs Library&Not in my Library (meaning .ips saved to your mac or not in the following location Now click on app you want to download
    Mac/Finder/Documents/Music or the Music tab if you set it to show in the Mac Sidebar
    5. In your Music Folder goto itunes/itunes media/mobile applications (this is where your.ipa will be saved.
    Note : i think this ipa download function was stopped a few itunes updates ago but give it a try.
    I personally save all my ipa files then upload to Dropbox and hardrives.
    Cool

• @skiphunt what i funbox can do is Install the .ipa files which is excellent.Theres the Instal tab at the top of iFunbox screen.

• @stormbeats said:
    1.launch itunes
    2.In iTunes in left column theres a tab usually says “Music” as default Change that to Apps
    4. Your App Purchases will appear. Notice the tabs Library&Not in my Library (meaning .ips saved to your mac or not in the following location Now click on app you want to download
    Mac/Finder/Documents/Music or the Music tab if you set it to show in the Mac Sidebar
    5. In your Music Folder goto itunes/itunes media/mobile applications (this is where your.ipa will be saved.
    Note : i think this ipa download function was stopped a few itunes updates ago but give it a try.
    Cool

Thanks! But, if I do this... won't iTunes just download the most current version in the app store? I haven't updated my iPhone install and want to somehow save it to my hard drive without updating it... then install that on my iPad where I mistakenly had updated the app, which took a key feature away and made it only accessible again if I buy a subscription.

Unscrupulous when devs do this. I don't have an issue with devs wanting to go subscription or adding features via IAP... anything added that's "new" is fair game. What I have a problem with is devs selling an app that includes certain features, then taking those features away and asking you to buy a subscription to get them back. That's not cool in my book.

• edited March 2019

@skiphunt said:

@stormbeats said:
    1.launch itunes
    Cool

Thanks! But, if I do this... won't iTunes just download the most current version in the app store? I haven't updated my iPhone install and want to somehow save it to my hard drive without updating it... then install that on my iPad where I mistakenly had updated the app, which took a key feature away and made it only accessible again if I buy a subscription.

Unscrupulous when devs do this. I don't have an issue with devs wanting to go subscription or adding features via IAP... anything added that's "new" is fair game. What I have a problem with is devs selling an app that includes certain features, then taking those features away and asking you to buy a subscription to get them back. That's not cool in my book.

@skiphunt actually yes your right. Most recent. Yep all the subscription crap should be banned. Its not cool
    You might be able to get the developer via email to email your ipa version. Its bit like the Algorridim djay app they done the same unfair subscription thing. Its not fair trade at all. Hope you get it sorted

• @stormbeats Just tried what you suggest... you must be running legacy OS. I'm running the latest Mojave. It doesn't show "Apps"

• That's really sneaky of them as they don't mention it in the description... Luckily I have it backed on my computer. Worked fine for me installing from ifunbox on Windows 10.

Yeah you can extract the ipa from your iphone and then reinstall it on your ipad :)
    On windows version you select the ipa and you can see the option to extract it.

• @Carnbot said:
    That's really sneaky of them as they don't mention it in the description... Luckily I have it backed on my computer. Worked fine for me installing from ifunbox on Windows 10.

Yeah you can extract the ipa from your iphone and then reinstall it on your ipad :)

Does Windows still backup by copying the ipa? I am pretty sure that on MacOS, that method of backing up (sadly) ended years ago. I think the last iTunes that did that was associated with Snow Leopard (X.6). Could be wrong about that. The backups are now in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync and are encrypted.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Carnbot said:
    That's really sneaky of them as they don't mention it in the description... Luckily I have it backed on my computer. Worked fine for me installing from ifunbox on Windows 10.

Does Windows still backup by copying the ipa? I am pretty sure that on MacOS, that method of backing up (sadly) ended years ago. I think the last iTunes that did that was associated with Snow Leopard (X.6). Could be wrong about that. The backups are now in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync and are encrypted.

Well, you can backup the ipas on Windows still with itunes if that's what you mean, I'm not sure about all versions of itunes but I'm currently using 12.5.5.5

Current ifunbox still works for extracting and installing ipas from the devices for me at the moment too.

• @Carnbot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Carnbot said:

Well, you can backup the ipas on Windows still with itunes if that's what you mean, I'm not sure about all versions of itunes but I'm currently using 12.5.5.5

Current ifunbox still works for extracting and installing ipas from the devices for me at the moment too.

Which version of ifunbox are you using? Mine isn't letting me extract it from my iPhone

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Carnbot said:

Which version of ifunbox are you using? Mine isn't letting me extract it from my iPhone

I'm using ifunbox 3.0

• @Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Carnbot said:

I'm using ifunbox 3.0

Drat! Mac OS version only goes up to 1.8 and it's from 2016. Maybe I'll try my wife's PC later. Thanks

• @skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@skiphunt said:

@Carnbot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Carnbot said:

I'm using ifunbox 3.0

Drat! Mac OS version only goes up to 1.8 and it's from 2016. Maybe I'll try my wife's PC later. Thanks

Did you manage to get this working, I need to copy apps that have disappeared from the AppStore and my purchase list, I’m looking for a viable solution.

• Imazing is a viable solution but at a price.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Imazing is a viable solution but at a price.

Thanks, I’ve tried it, restoring an app it connects to the AppStore to download the app, I don’t think this would work for Z3ta+ as well as others missing from my purchase list.

• As apple has literally blocked every way of backing up or downloading certain app versions (which can be a nightmare in some cases), there's only a few things you can do (that I know of):

• Jailbreak your device and install an "ipa backup tool"
    • iFunbox didn't work for me but maybe someone can hint me at how to do it on an up-to-date iDevice?
    • If you are lucky to own a device with an iOS version installed that is lower than the minimum requirement of the current app version then you can probably download a previous version (usually with less features...)
  • @rs2000 said:
    As apple has literally blocked every way of backing up or downloading certain app versions (which can be a nightmare in some cases), there's only a few things you can do (that I know of):

• Jailbreak your device and install an "ipa backup tool"
    • iFunbox didn't work for me but maybe someone can hint me at how to do it on an up-to-date iDevice?
    • If you are lucky to own a device with an iOS version installed that is lower than the minimum requirement of the current app version then you can probably download a previous version (usually with less features...)

You could be correct, if so this will become an increasing problem in the future, as the culling of apps becomes more prevalent.

• I managed to install an app no longer in the App Store (including on purchased list) that I had on another device.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    I managed to install an app no longer in the App Store (including on purchased list) that I had on another device.

What iOS version on the "another device"?
    How did you do it?

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Imazing is a viable solution but at a price.

Yep, it’s pretty good. Using it since ver 1
    Currently can be bought for $20 here: https://stacksocial.com/sales/imazing-2-universal-license-for-mac-windows-5

• @BiancaNeve said:
    I managed to install an app no longer in the App Store (including on purchased list) that I had on another device.

Please explain how you did this, all I see on my PC is a backup of the data for the app not the app itself?

• I do wonder how iOS13/iPadOS will treat *.ipa files on an external drive :)

• Thanks, but it doesn’t extract purchases from your iPad from reading the guide, it only uses existing ipa’s on your desktop or downloads from tha AppStore. I don’t think it will extract them from the iPad.

• All I know was there was an app (a solitaire game) that I was unable to download directly from the AppStore that I was able to load onto my pc via imazing and then onto my new phone.

• Someone gave me the impression that Windows iTunes still retrieves ipa when backing up. But I can't say that is certain. Someone posted yo that effect here a few months ago.

On Mac, I think the version of iTunes that last did that was the one associated with OS X.6 (Snow Leopard). I am not sure if that iTunes version can backup recent iOS devices.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Someone gave me the impression that Windows iTunes still retrieves ipa when backing up. But I can't say that is certain. Someone posted yo that effect here a few months ago.

On Mac, I think the version of iTunes that last did that was the one associated with OS X.6 (Snow Leopard). I am not sure if that iTunes version can backup recent iOS devices.

I’ve tried it on windows using the older version but it won’t copy app purchases, I did downgrade to that version so maybe something messed things up during that process. The link to that version gave me the impression you could copy IPA files via that version, but I’ve tried but nothing copied.

• I believe it came with iOS 8.4 that on the iOS file system, Apple had split application-specific files including the binary itself and user data, residing in completely separate folders.
    This brings the advantage that app updates won't destroy existing user data but at the same time Apple did not include backing up the app-related files, only the user data. Only a jailbreak can add the necessary software to access all those files, and recent iOS versions are practically un-jailbreakable.
    Apple has learned a lot from the jailbreaking community (i.e. what users want) and many of the JB app features seen years ago can now be found in iOS versions. What's still absolutely impossible in official iOS is desktop-like file management.

• We could join forces and request the comeback of being able to back up applications installed on our iDevices from Apple.
    We have good reasons, don't we?

• @rs2000 said:
    We could join forces and request the comeback of being able to back up applications installed on our iDevices from Apple.
    We have good reasons, don't we?

Yes I just want my license right to use and possibly save or access it, along with the un-redacted version of purchase history.